Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private All Men Must Bow

illyrian300.png

ADJUDICATION

Regne de Azuré.

The City of Blue Rain was known prominently among the rich and successful of Illyria. Some of the most prominent members of the planet's aristocracy came to the city, either to enjoy the splendors that came from such a rich province or to entice the business of The Obsidian Bank. For generations The Obsidian Bank had been a front runner of Illyrian commerce, dispensing more than two thousand financial loans per fiscal year for over thirty years. Those who led this banking system, House Astier, had enjoyed no small amount of luxury due to their financial prominence. This led to a great deal of power and influence. Perhaps too much.

Illyria was not a world of peace. In the entirety of it's known history the world had been wrapped in a series of bloody skirmishes for the Crown. Prominent families warred for the right to rule and place the planetary crown upon their heads. Even House Astier had dreams and ambitions of Crowning themselves or at least serving a Greater House that would bring them to such prominence in Court that they would tower over their adversaries. Due to recent events these dreams had never seemed farther away.

The planetary armies of Illyria were weak and fatigued from years of war and struggle. The last war, the hundred year war, had been the third longest war in the planet's history and by far the bloodiest. Several Great Houses had fallen in the Skirmish for the Crown, yet the deciding factor had not been the martial might of any one House, it had been the subjugation of the entire world. Overnight hundreds of ships burst from Hyperspace, overtaking the planet's atmosphere. These dark ships with untold intent loomed over the world like a silent storm. Finally, hours after the ships arrived, a single dropship landed in the center of Azurine City.

"My name is Adron Malvern, Exarch of The Confederacy and former Count of Serenno. By right of conquest I claim the Illyrian throne for myself. As of this moment the war for this planet is at an end." That day everything changed.

The massive fleet that loomed over Illyria deployed itself through out the world with ruthless efficiency, however for an invading force it operated in an odd manner. Hundreds of thousands of Battle Droids were deployed, declaring the world in martial law for exactly thirty days. It was a long thirty days. Some fought back, some died, but most were stunned into a quiet
obedience for a time. What came next shook the entire world. Food, water, clothes, and all other manner of supplies flooded the planet, cities and counties alike. Most Noble Houses were skeptical of the action, however the people who had been suffering years of rough conditions due to war received the supplies with open arms of gratitude. The curfew was lifted and the relief effort continued, breathing life into many parts of the world where most had abandoned hope.

In Azurine the Nobility had been treated exceptionally well. Lavish banquets, parties, and gifts were bestowed upon them. A well played maneuver. In under two months the new "King" had put an end to the war, flooded the citizenry with much needed supplies, and provided the Nobles with enough distraction that they could care less that their planet was being passively invaded. It was all a well-played hand and most were content to let it play out. Most, but not all.

In the end, as months passed and the number of Battle Droids occupying the world lessened there were some aspiring Nobles who wished to bring about the death of the new King. Chief among them was House Astier. With their own Banking System they had worked well to finance a proper Rebellion to destroy House Malvern and those traitors who faithfully followed them.

It would have been a mighty Rebellion if it was ever allowed to flourish.

It was not.

The strike came in the middle of the night. Tactical and efficient the targets were made clear. BX-Commando Droids were dispatched, hundreds of them. In the dead of the night they assaulted the manor of House Astier. The House Guard put up a valid fight, but in the end there was little they could do against the hardened Battle Droids the King had dispatched.

House Astier's shield was broken.

A thick rain fell over Regne de Azuré. The center of the city had been gathered in an assembly, to witness the judgement that was to befall House Astier. The members of House Astier had been assembled in mass, for all men were accountable of their actions and answerable to the law of the land. They stood, nine in all, yet only five of the assembled group were of age. The members of the House stood on a plasteel platform, obsidian chains wrapped around their wrists and tethered to collars over their neck. Standing beside each member of the House was a Commando Droid, with a metallic hand placed upon their shoulder to ensure none ran from this fate.

The yard was silent. None spoke and many seemed to be breathing in rationed breaths.

Heavy bootsteps could be heard sinking into the mud, coming from the depths of the crowd.

"
Make way for his majesty, the King!" A voice announced proudly over the ensuing silence. The crowd began to part, carving a path from the City's inner workings to the courtyard where House Astier stood in condemnation. The King of Illyria wore a thick ebony cloak of silk, adorned with amethyst embroidery that was soaked from the heavy rains. His wet black hair fell over his face and his deep purple eyes gazed forward with a weighted intent. Behind him was a small entourage, a number of Magnaguard, whose metallic marching could be heard in step with the King's pace. The magnaguard parted, eight in all, moving to stand in a semi-circle around the imprisoned House. Behind the Magnaguard were several prominent members of the Illyrian Aristocracy. Counts, Viscounts, Sieur's and more. Perhaps forty noblemen in all, most from very prominent and influential families.

The Lord of House Astier had stood in silence. An aged man, prideful as an old bear, with eyes that held no foolishness or lack of intellect. He looked to the men who he'd once called honored counterparts and all he could do was spit on the muddied platform beneath his feet.

"You've assembled quite the audience here." The older man remarked, turning his eyes towards the King he had refused to recognize. "Come to gloat your victory and hand me my slap on the wrist?!" He growled out.

"Father!" One of the younger Astier men, the boy Adron recognized as Enjolras spoke up, seemingly to halt his father's flippant tone.

"Quiet boy! This man is not of Blood or Class to this world, yet he stands here and declares himself King of all Men! How dare you declare that all Men must bow, well I will not! Lock me in the darkest cell you can fine, you will not see me kneel!" He roared out, before his people. It was a spectacle of pride that Adron allowed to take place as the droplets of water brushed against his dark cowl. Finally, when the older man fell silent, the King lifted his eyes to meet him. He gazed into Lord Leon Astier's powerful gaze and found that he could respect the man's resolve.

"Lord Leon Astier, for your crimes against the Crown you are hereby sentenced to death." The word brought not sweet taste to Adron's mouth as he spoke them. The men of the Nobility who stood behind them turned their eyes away from the man, instead they looked away to the dark skies or even the black-brown mud beneath their feet. This was when the Lady of House Astier, Marine, hung her head in silent grief. Even with the thick of the rain all men in the courtyard could see the tears trailing down from her cheek.

"Lady Marine Astier, for your crimes against the Crown you are hereby sentenced to death." Adron said, stepping down the line and turning his eyes to the woman before him. She did not react, for the knowledge of her husband's death had already set her in silence. To hear of Marine's death caused Leon to go silent in shock. Perhaps he was hoping his pull in court would save him from death, but certainly he never believed his wife would suffer for his actions.

"Sir Gavic Astier, for your crimes against the Crown you are hereby sentenced to death." Again the declaration came and this time the eldest son of Leon and Marine's eyes were thrown open wide as he looked down to the King with disbelief. "F-father, Father!" He shouted out, turning his eyes to the Lord of the House with a fearful expression. Leon could not meet his son's eyes.

Adron turned down the line once again, his eyes resting on a younger man, barely in his twenties.

"Sir Adram Astier, for your crimes against the Crown you are hereby sentenced to death." The younger boy seemed amiss for words, nearly falling from his feet, yet the droid behind him did not allow him such a luxury.

The elder boy, Gavic came to tears, crying out and fighting against the own droid behind him. Yet the Commando Droid was made of hardened metals that did not even flinch from his struggle. His cries did not stop Adron from continuing down the line, his eyes landing on a young man who could not have been much older than seventeen, perhaps eighteen. The King looked over the boy whose eyes were scared yet they held strength. Perhaps in those eyes were the conviction of a powerful man to be.

"Enjolras Astier, for your crimes against the Crown you are hereby sentenced to death." He said to the young boy before stepping down to the next member of the family. That was where Adron heard the voice of Lord Leon.

"Mercy! My Lord, mercy!" He said, yelling out to the King, abandoning pride for the life of his family. "My crimes are my own, there is no reason to-"

"Your wife and your eldest three children were accomplices to your crime. Your punishment will be theirs as well." He turned his eyes to the remaining members of House Astier before sighing softly. "I will claim no more lives. The others will not pay the price of death for your crimes, Lord Astier."

"You are a grim bastard." The Elder man declared, tightening his fists as he narrowed his eyes at the King. "I will never recognize your authority here...you are not worthy of it."

The King stepped away from the younger members of the family, gesturing for them to be pulled down from the raised platform. Adron's steps were even and paced as he turned his eyes to the Lord of House Astier. "No, but you will answer to my judgement all the same." He promised the man. "Say your peace." He declared to them all before turning from the platform.

Some cried, some shouted, and the rest were silent. The family and the people of Blue Rain held mixed feelings on the ruling of the King. Some believed he was cruel while others saw him sparing the younger members of the family as mercy. Adron pulled at the black gloves on his hand, taking them off and throwing them away in the mud below. Some minutes had past before the King finally turned back to the five who remained on the platform. Adron's bare hand came up, his palm raised to the skies as the power of the Force flooded his body. His amethyst eyes seemed to glow vibrantly as he curled his hand into a fist.

As he closed his fist, half of House Astier was snuffed out.

The bodies fell limp against the platform and Adron exhaled, the rain finally slowing as he gazed out at the bodies that were left in his judgement. He pulled the cowl to his cloak down, turning his eyes towards the surviving members of House Astier. Perhaps they would hate him for this, he would have to live with that if so. He took a few measured strides over to the surviving members before speaking evenly. "This city no longer deserves the title of Regne de Azuré. The blood of your House has stained it and forever more this city will be known as Regne de Sang. In ten days the Head of House Astier will come to Azurine City and swear fealty to the Crown. I spared you all because you are innocent, do not prove me wrong." He declared, before turning from the surviving siblings.

As the King of Illyria moved to depart the city, he had a curious train of thought.

What would the future hold for Regne de Sang?

wrappingpaper.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom