Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alena's Path [Development]

Carida...

Alena found herself kneeling beside the head, her hair gathered at the back of her head with one hand. She retched again, couldn't keep anything down. The alcohol that flooded her brain turned every movement into an amusement park ride, though Alena was anything but amused with herself. It had been getting worse over the last several months, the drinking had. She found herself waking up with the craving, and imbibing just to stave off the worst of the morning tremors. The withdrawal kicked in so fast she could hardly keep up. She found herself waking in the earliest hours of the cycle, in desperate need of a drink. In turn, the constant drinking kept her from eating, and she felt she was wasting away. She'd lost four kilos in the last week alone, and struggled to exercise. She had no energy, just this constant pit in the deep of her abdomen, this aching need for food she couldn't have.

Alena retched again, feeling the last bits of acid creep up from her stomach and fill her mouth. She coughed, then spit into the head; the saliva and bile swirled in the water like everything else in her vision. I can't keep doing this...She reminded herself for the dozenth time. I can't stop doing this...She'd considered going to a CSAF physician, but the mental anguish she faced every moment she went without a drink was excruciating.

"Lord Commander?" Came a voice from somewhere in her chambers. Panic struck and Alena wiped the spittle from her lips, then forced herself to shaky feet. She hit the switch on the head and watched as her life swirled in the water and disappeared, then leaned heavily against the sink and washed her hands. "Commander?" The voice was at the door to the 'fresher now. Alena stepped sideward and looked over to the doorway as she continued to rest against the steel sink. It was her aide, Nur. "Yeah?" She asked, her voice hoarse. Nur frowned, his features riddled with concern. "Are you alright, Commander?" He asked. Alena nodded, closing her eyes for a moment in an attempt to calm her body. "Just...sick, is all. Must have...picked up something in the mess hall. What is it?" She asked, changing the subject quickly. Nur looked on at her in silence for a moment, considering what he was seeing. He opened his mouth as if to speak on it, but pursed his lips and nodded. "We have the complete specifications on the fleet vessels, they were transmitted this morning from Mandalore."
Alena nodded drunkenly, Myra Hadrix had come through yet again. The woman was a blessing to CSAF's military acquisitions, she had provided them with the MAT-TE tank, the A-10 LAAT, and their primary small arms weapon, the Verpine Assault Rifle. She was brilliant, and it seemed her talents had included a great knowledge of starship engineering.
"Make sure they're loaded onto my terminal, I'll be back in my office momentarily." Alena replied. Nur nodded slightly and made to leave, but hesitated. "Commander...are you truly alright?" He asked. Alena hated the concern that dripped from his every word. Sympathy wasn't something she needed, she needed...a drink. "I'm fine. Thank you. Dismissed." Nur's eyes narrowed, but he respected her word and left in silence.

[member=Ali Hadrix] | [member=Myra Hadrix]

The schematics were a mind-numbing read. Coupled with her drunken struggle, Alena kept to the summary and overall design rather than the details. Myra Hadrix had done an amazing job designing the refit on existing models of starcraft, providing Alena and Ali with a plethora of options. Naval crews were already being processed through the same training program as the rest of the Commando force, and would move on to the specifics of naval operations and technical abilities once that was completed. Until the year long naval program was over, however, CSAF would be without a naval force of its own. In the last several months they had acquired thousands of recruits from all over the Galaxy, and the number continued to grow. All staff went through the two year Commando program, but rotated in and out of their assigned specialties in order to keep the overall training requirements within that bracket. The results had been staggeringly positive. Selections from the program were already being short-listed for CSAF's BOG unit, Black Operations Group. Hadrix had drawn her BOG training commanders from the special forces she'd had access to from within the Republic, as well as the larger CSAF recruit pool.
Even so, the program hadn't been without its failures. During a rotation in the Caridan mountain wastes, five soldiers alone had died, three from an avalanche that had taken a MAT-TE tank with it, and two from climbing accidents due to equipment failure. Replacements had already been pulled from other units, but the loss of those soldiers had been felt amongst their comrades. Hadrix had worked hard to ensure that camaraderie had been adequately fostered amongst the Commandos by instilling within them the values of her and Alena's shared Mando'ade heritage. Every recruit was required to know Basic, and learn Mando'a throughout the duration of the program. Other languages had been incorporated as well, such as Rodian, and an understanding of Huttese and Shyriiwook.

Alena poured herself another drink as she completed her review of the starship designs. The CSAF naval force would like consist of a flagship war vessel designed for a balance of speed and defense, and a focus on offense, to better protect the other vessels in the fleet. Support vessels would come in a balanced variety of forms. Starfighter carriers that exemplified speed and defense cruisers were a necessity. Cruisers would be needed to defend the flagship and frigates, and would boast powerful weaponry and an emphasis on speed. Smaller vessels would feature defense and agility, and carry an operational focus on starfighters. The force itself would be small, and only functional as a singular group. Ships isolated from the fleet would be weak on their own, and unable to sustain operations independent of the group. The greatest emphasis Alena and Ali had made was to ensure that tactical adaptability was paramount in all naval designs and came in the form of countermeasures, advanced sensor and targeting systems, and AI controlled electronic warfare capabilities. The fleet's greatest weapons would be the minds of its commanders and crews.

The holographic representation of the starship before them hovered in the air in silence. The bluish lights that created its figure shimmered slightly in the dim light of the conference room as Ali and the rest of the Command Staff looked on. The vessel was large, with a sharp angles and a wide array of weaponry. It's capabilities were listed on the outer edges of the display. Ali's mother, Myra, stood opposite her, one arm crossed over the other and her chin resting against the nails of a fist. "What do you think?" Myra asked suddenly. Ali looked through the holographic projection at her mother, then glanced at Hat Ma'an. "Well?" She asked quietly. The Kel Dor remained silent for several long moments, the respirator secured to his mouth clicking quietly with every breath. "Can we maximize the area of engagement any further for the main weaponry?" He asked. Ali looked back to her mother, who frowned as she considered the request. "I think we could. I would have to redesign the command structure. I should anyhow, it sticks out too much."
Ali nodded, the superstructure did indeed protrude, much like that of an Imperial-class Star Destroyer. "Is there anyway we could simply make it a part of the primary structure?" Ali asked. "We could move the long-range weaponry into its place." Myra nodded, "Yeah, I can do that, I think."
The Wookiee, Hraffa, barked an inquiry of her own. Ali nodded, "Ubiquitous engagement is important. This vessel will act as the core of the fleet, it needs to be able to fight at all angles. The starfighter holds are large enough, I think, and the garrison bays as well."
The vessel was designed to serve as CSAF's mobile command ship, as well as the primary offense vessel of the fleet. It boasted its own starfighter compliment, but the remainder of its holds were set aside for the many Battalions that made up CSAF's ground forces. Guri Pasha, the Rodian, spoke up in response. "I think we'll need two of them." He mused. "I don't like having all our eggs in one basket, and if the fleet were to be caught in an ambush during movement, we could lose the entire force."
From across the table, Alena clicked her tongue, nodding. "I agree. Two Commanders, two flagships." She said, referring to herself and Ali, who concurred. "Any objections?" Ali asked, noting Alena's appearance. The woman looked haggard, and spent more time in her office than not these days. She smelled of alcohol, and her assistance, Nur, had made Ali aware she spent much of her time in the 'fresher sick. I'll have to take care of that immediately, Ali reminded herself. No one else at the table spoke in objection to the proposal, and Ali made a note of it in her datatablet for the record. "Then it's settled. We've got a full list of alterations to be made. Myra, if you'll get those back to me as soon as you can, we can start looking for a manufacturing facility that can put the vessel into production." Her mother nodded, and Ali killed the projector. "Everyone except for Commander Reckar is dismissed." The other leaders nodded and took their leave, including Myra. As they filtered out, Ali caught her compatriot's gaze from across the table. She didn't waver.

"What?" Alena asked dumbly, shrugging nonchalantly as Ali stared her down. She felt her stomach turn, partially due to nerves, and partially due to a stomach filled with liquor that was otherwise empty. She clenched her jaw and swallowed her self-loathing. Ali continued to stare her down for several long silent moments, disappointment etching her typically soft features. "You're drinking too much." Hadrix said bluntly. Alena looked away uncomfortably, but offered no response. Ali stepped around the table and leaned against it, just feet away, and crossed her arms. "You need to stop."
Alena chewed on the inside of her cheek and rolled her eyes. "I don't know what you're talking about." She grumbled. Hadrix stepped up to her and took Alena by the jaw with her hand. The grip was firm, but not painful. "You know exactly what I'm talking about." Ali growled, letting go after a moment. "We need you, but not like...like this." Alena closed her eyes, forcing down another wave of nausea. "I need this," she replied weakly.

"No, you don't. What you need is a few weeks rest, a healthy diet, and someone to work through your troubles with, not a bottle." Ali retorted swiftly. "I need you, I can't do this alone." Alena heard the words, but didn't believe them. "You don't need me...I need you, I need what we've built here. I don't have anything else." She said meekly, her nostrils flaring as she felt her eyes water.
"What's going on?" Ali asked, concern in her voice. "I need to know." Alena looked up at her counterpart, realizing just how little they'd shared with one another. Ali had been rather candid about herself, she didn't have a personality that hid her away from the world, or those around her. Alena on the other hand had been raised thinking that even her happiness was wrong, or otherwise undeserved. "I've just got osik to work through, that's all. History." She replied monotonously.

Ali shook her head, "Then tell me, and we'll work through it together. But you can't keep going like this. It's already catching up to you." Ali reached out and ran a hand down Alena's arm. "You're wasting away, I can see it, so can the others," she said, referring to the rest of the Command staff. Alena shook off her touch, "I...I don't know what to do...I don't feel as if I've earned my place here. I don't feel as if I've earned anything."
The chocolate-haired woman tuttered and embraced Alena warmly. She felt Ali's cheek pressed against hers, the woman's jaw resting against her neck. "You deserve the world, Alena." She whispered. "We would have none of this without you, and we would not survive losing you. Whatever it is you need, we're here to provide it." Alena sighed, blinking the tears from her eyes. They dripped onto her cheeks and rolled down her face, wetting Ali's hair. "This is all I know, Ali," she muttered sadly. "I feel trapped, locked into a cycle that I can't escape from. I don't know how to change these parts of who I am."

Ali pulled away just far enough to look into Alena's eyes. "I understand that sometimes you feel hopeless in the face of your own mind. Our ingrained behaviors are difficult to change, but not impossibly so. I cannot pretend to know what it's like to have been raised the way you were, but I can at least understand. But this is not all of who you are, Alena. And there are parts of you that we desperately need. You're a natural leader, you're pragmatic, you are in charge of yourself when you most need to be. Your drinking is a product of this strength you have, to self-regulate. But we need to find a more positive way for you to hold onto that control."
Alena felt as if half of the conversation were taking place in their minds, and only what was left was being said. But she understood, even if the task of changing who she was felt daunting. "I can't do this," she said. A last ditch effort by the broken child inside of her to refute Ali's insistence that she move into recovery. Ali wasn't having it. She shook her head and pressed her lips against Alena's cheek, kissing her warmly. The woman cupped her face as she looked into her eyes, smiling gently. "Of course you can, Alena...you just can't do it alone."

Imperial Medical Facility, Carida...

Ali looked down on her companion through the glass pane that separated them. Alena was asleep in a hospital bed, hooked up to IV fluids and a concoction of medications to stave off the effects of alcohol withdrawal. Alena had been emaciated when they'd arrived; it had only shown once she was wrapped in a hospital gown. Ali had been forced to keep Alena liquored up long enough to make it into treatment, and now that she was here, Ali felt there was little she could do. The Imperial physicians treating her were kind, and understanding, though some she had interacted with maintained that sense of austerity that was characteristic of their militant culture. "How long will she be going through this?" Hat Ma'an asked softly. He had joined her in the hospital nearly an hour ago after settling certain matters with the rest of the Command staff back at the FOB in the foothills of Carida's greatest mountain ranges, half a planet away. Ali shrugged. "Doctors aren't sure how long her recovery might be, she was in worse shape than we thought. Something about a struggling liver and a toxin build up in her blood that was causing inflammation and all sorts of other osik."
The Kel Dor nodded, Ali could almost feel the compassion in his voice when he spoke. The staff had grown quite close in the months leading up to the start of the Commando program, and had grown closer since. "We do need her, that is certain. She is to be the face of this organization, it's figurehead." Ali agreed, she had neither the temperament nor the tact to function as a leader outside of a tactical capacity. Alena seemed to be born for Command.
"We'll have her back soon enough, ner'vod." Ali replied quietly. Hat seemed to consider her reassurances before he changed the subject. "Has anything about our standing with the Republic changed?" He inquired. Ali, who hadn't taken her eyes off of Alena, shook her head. "They have no idea I exist, and with an influx of Senators and officials looking favorably on our involvement, I don't expect that to matter eventually." The Kel Dor glanced at her through hidden eyes. "Still...it's best if you remained anonymous for the time being. I've been unable to accurately gauge the political climate on Mandalore, the clans seem to be in flux."
Ali tore her eyes away from her companion. "I don't much care, to be honest. My people forsook the path of peace when they invaded Roche." Hat Ma'an nodded, "Indeed, and yet even I can understand their motivations. We must tread carefully, and avoid becoming embroiled in politicized issues." Ali agreed, looking back to Alena. "At least the program is going well. We've successfully integrated our various unit types; their joint operations are progressing more smoothly and swiftly than I would have expected."
The Kel Dor snickered quietly. "That's what happens when you're careful selecting your stock," he muttered. Ali smiled, just a bit. "True that," she said. "Though I wonder how much we'll actually be able to accomplish with two-thousand Commandos." Hat Ma'an shook his head, "Never underestimated the strength of these soldiers, Hadrix. They have already exceeded our wildest imaginations."

Imperial Medical Facility, Carida...

Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep...

The sound assaulted Alena's ears as she stirred from an unconscious state. It continued, unending, though faded into the background as Alena opened her eyes slowly, stiffly, and took in her surroundings. Her vision was hazy, swimming, and she couldn't focus her eyes on anything further away than her own nose. Everything was blurred, subdued. She looked down and saw the blanket over her chest, and her arm, laid bare, resting along her side at the edge of the bed. An IV needle was secured to the back of her hand with Tegaderm, hooked to a pair of medicine dispensers that clicked softly every few moments. To her side a terminal rested on top of a slender desk stand on wheels, and a Mon Calamari female, garbed in a fitted blue uniform tapped away at the station. A large, bulbous eye rotated toward her as Alena shifted in her bed, groaning as pain began to assault her senses. Her gut was twisted and nauseous, and her head ached. "Good afternoon, Miss Reckar, my name is Ula, and I'm your nurse for the evening," the woman said in soft, warbling tones. "It's good to see you're awake. How do you feel?" Alena closed her eyes for a moment and breathed deeply, then stopped and let the breath out as she felt a wave of nausea hit her stomach and throat. "Nauseous," she grumbled. "And my head...hurts." The nurse nodded and locked her terminal, then stood and came to Alena's side, checking her IV and the machines beside her bed. "I can get you medicine for the nausea and the headache," the Mon Cal woman said softly, pulling a pen light out of her pocket. "I need to check your neurological functions real fast, Miss Reckar, if you don't mind." Alena nodded slowly. The nurse smiled slightly with thick, wet lips, and shined the light into Alena's eyes one at a time, twice. The Mon Cal began palpating Alena's face. "Do you feel my touch?" She asked. Alena nodded. "Do you know where you are?" She asked. Alena shook her head. "Wait...Carida..." Ula nodded, "Good, do you remember where you were before you came here?" Alena nodded, "CSAF FOB...in the mountains." The nurse nodded again, "Please smile?" Alena did, though felt no joy in it. "Now frown." She followed the command. "Can you puff out your cheeks?" Alena pursed her lips and lazily blew air into her mouth. "Good, please follow my finger without moving your head." Alena traced the path with her eyes, then closed them as the exercise came to an end.
"You seem to be doing well," Ula said, returning to her terminal to log the information from the assessment. Alena took the medication that was offered with a slow sip of water. "How long have I been here?" She asked. Ula looked over from the terminal after a moment. "Three weeks," she replied. Alena sighed, "I guess I missed the integration ops," she lamented. The nurse, ignorant of what she meant merely nodded politely. "That is likely," Ula said. Alena shifted in her bed, feeling weak and tired. Exhaustion began to take hold once more and she slipped into an uneasy sleep.

Alena's next memory of her recovery came nearly a week later. She opened her eyes and saw Ali sitting on the side of her bed, one leg crossed over the other. She wore a pair of capri-cut pants, with a tank top. Her chocolate locks were pinned into a loose bun at the back of her head, and she wore a gentle smile on her lips. "Hey you." Ali whispered. Alena felt soft fingertips caress her cheeks gently. Her eyes almost fell closed once more, but Alena felt determined to remain conscious this time. She opened them and parted her lips. Her throat was dry, and when she tried to speak, only a light gasp was heard. Alena cleared her throat, and tried again; Ali was already with a cup to her lips. Alena drank, the water felt cool as she swallowed it.
"Thank...you," she muttered tiredly. "How do you feel?" Ali asked. Alena nodded, "Good." Ali's smile broadened. "I'm glad to hear it. The rest of the team wants you back." CSAF's founder crossed her arms over her chest and tipped her head back. Alena turned and looked to the other side of her bed. Pasha, Ma'an, Hraffa, and the others stood at her bedside in a gaggle, all smiling after the fashion of their respective species. Hraffa growled something short, and the others laughed. "I'll bet I look like osik." Alena replied, her own chuckle turning into a cough. Hat Ma'an nodded, his gas mask twitching as he spoke. "It is good to see you with us again, Lord Commander."

"Why do you drink?" The Imperial physician asked. He was a Mon Calamari, as Alena's evening shift nurse had been the last several weeks. Alena's detoxification had resolved nearly a week prior, and after several days rest light exercise, along with a steady, light diet, she was well on her way toward physiological recovery. She had gained weight, began reconstructing muscle, and her body had shirked its dependence on liquor. But her mind was another matter. She still craved drink, making every waking moment a pained nightmare. Without the alcohol to numb her mind, Alena's thoughts centered entirely around her emotional anguish, the abandonment, the abuse. She heard screaming in her waking mind, memories of her father, drunk himself, shouting her down and beating at her with his words. He had taken to shaking her and yelling at her when she made mistakes as a child, blaming her for his own misgivings and failure in life. "You're the reason I'm stuck here, Alena, you're the reason your mother left," he'd lament over a glass after returning home from whatever meager work he'd managed to hold for more than a few cycles. Alena had been raised on public assistance, her father had never been able to keep a job. He had become a burden on the system during Alena's childhood on Coruscant, managing his welfare better than he'd managed his work ethic. Even through the years of abuse, Alena had not grown to hate her father until her later years, after he died. And then, her hatred was borne not of his treatment of her, but of the sense of abandonment that his death had exacerbated, and her mother had caused.
"My mother," Alena replied after gathering her thoughts. To this day she struggled to place blame where it rightly belonged, upon the shoulders of both of her parents. "She left us when I was young, and my father was a drinker."
The physician, Galu Nurano, nodded. "Did your father start drinking after your mother left?"
Alena shook her head, "He was a lifelong alcoholic." She replied. Galu made a note on his datapad, then asked, "Do you blame your mother for how your father treated you?" She nodded, "She abandoned us," Alena replied matter-of-factly. The Mon Cal looked at her with bulbous eyes, searchingly. "Do you feel it's possible your mother left because of your father's behavior, his drinking?"

Alena frowned, "My father wanted me to be the best, that's why he was so hard on me." Alena felt uncomfortable, she'd never seen her father as a perpetrator, but a victim, like herself.
"So this all begins with your mother's abandonment?" Galu asked. Alena nodded, "Yes." The physician made another note. "Do you think it is healthy to excuse your father's treatment of you?" He asked. His questions were discomforting, Alena did not like them.
"Are you trying to convince me my father was the bad guy here?" Alena retorted defensively. The Mon Cal shook his head, "It is not my job to tell you what to think, only help you explore your own existing beliefs. This is not about who's bad and who's good, but individuals taking responsibility for the parts they play in the lives of others. Do you think that since your father was the one who stayed, the one who raised you, you do not wish to see him in a negative light?"
This question tore at Alena more so than the others; she felt it might be true. "I think that I want to have fond memories of my childhood." She replied cooly. Galu nodded, "And do you, have fond memories, that is?" He asked. Alena looked down, picking at her fingernails. "No," she muttered sadly. "Do you think that if your mother had stayed, you would have been any happier with your father?" Alena thought for a long, quiet moment. Of this, she was unsure. Her father had been a drinker when her parents had married, yet she still blamed her mother leaving for his behavior. Perhaps she was wrong?
"I think that if she had stayed, she could have made him a better man." She replied confidently. Galu nodded, "And yet most research suggests that in adulthood, the affect of others on our own behavior is negligible, change comes from within." He was challenging her, Alena realized. He wouldn't tell her what to think, as he said, but he saw something inside her he was trying to bring to the surface.
"You're trying to get me to say that he was to blame for how he treated me." Alena stated. Galu tilted his head sideward somewhat. "Do you think that is true? Is he to blame?" Alena clenched her jaw, the conversation was making her frustrated, angry even. The physician seemed to pick up on this. "Do you want a drink, right now?" He asked. Alena looked at him, her red eyes glaring, but nodded. "I do."
"A stress response," Galu confirmed. "We learn to cope with stress in our lives from those around us. Your father drank to forget his responsibility in the course of his own life. This taught you that drinking was a way to manage feelings that made you uncomfortable and unhappy." Alena felt her anger subside somewhat as the idea took hold. She wanted more than anything to know why she operated this way, and perhaps this was one of the reasons.
"I only ever wanted to make my father happy," Alena muttered. "Nothing was ever good enough." Galu made another note on his datapad. "We learn all of our behaviors from those around us, most prominently from our caretakers. Most sentient species operate on this principle. Have you ever heard of mirror neurons?" Galu asked. Alena shook her head. The Mon Cal nodded, "Mirror neurons are neural cells that link our ocular systems, our photoreceptors or eyes, to somatic nervous pathways in the body. During our youth, when we observe others in our environment performing actions of almost any kind, these mirror neurons trigger somatic pathways in our bodies to reproduce these actions."
Something clicked for Alena, "Monkey lizard see, monkey lizard do." She said, remembering the old phrase. Galu nodded, "Precisely. We are not in control of what we learn, Alena, for our senses are always sending our brains information about the world around us, and this becomes our basis of knowledge. It affects everything from our beliefs to our patterns of thought and our actions."
"So I learned to drink because my father did...literally?" Alena asked. Galu nodded, "It is very likely, yes. Through the development of contextual understanding, as our brains mature, we are able to pick up more subtle behaviors as well. Learning to drink from a glass is one thing, but learning to drink specifically liquor because we are trying to deal with an emotional response is a more subtle example of this. As we develop, we adopt more complex ideas and behaviors."

Alena chewed on her bottom lip for a moment. "Can I change that?" She asked. Galu nodded, "Of course, our brains remain plastic throughout our lives, always capable of change. Even the elderly of most complex sentients can learn new languages, ideas, and behaviors." Alena thought on this for a moment, it felt good to know she was not doomed to a life of inadequacy and self-loathing. "When can we start?" She asked. The Mon Cal smiled with thick lips. "We already have, Alena."

"How is she doing?" Ali asked the Imperial therapist, Galu. The Mon Cal pursed his thick lips and looked with one bulbous eye through the glass window into Alena's room inside the Imperial facility. "Without saying too much--" he began, but Ali cut him off. "Check with the hospital administration, I've got full privilege to Alena's records as per her power of attorney." The Mon Cal blinked, looking back at Ali inquisitively. "Interesting..." he said, then nodded. "She has progressed, somewhat. We have successfully begun to explore her relationship with her parents, and identify the causes of her depression and addiction in doing so. I feel that over the course of several weeks--" Ali cut him off again, lifting her hand. "Weeks? We don't have that much time, I need her back, sooner than that." The physician frowned, his chin tendrils wriggling. "Therapy does not work like clockwork; progress is dependent on the individual. I can no more spur her forward than I can accelerate the rotation of the planet." He retorted firmly. Ali grimaced, impatient. Hat Ma'an interjected smoothly. "Perhaps, Lord Commander, we should avoid agitating Alena's recovery. The training is proceeding as planned without her, and with no hinderance. We need her, yes, but only at her best." The Kel Dor's words were soft and reassuring. Sometimes she hated that about him. Ali crossed her arms and looked down at the floor, then up at the physician and nodded. "Do you work, doctor," she replied evenly. "But keep me apprised of her progress...or regress...please." Galu Nurano nodded. "Of course, ma'am." He replied politely. Ali thanked him and together, her and Hat turned to leave. On their way out of the facility, Ali blew out a deep breath. "How are things in the field?" she asked, "Do the soldiers need anything?" Hat shook his head, "All is well, Lord Commander," he replied. "By the end of the week we will be prepared to shift our focus toward black operations training, and conclude the year." Ali nodded, "Good, good. And what of the fleet preparations? Any progress on production?" The Kel Dor nodded again. "I have spoken with the manufacturing firm producing the vessels, they will be completed within the next six months. Three vessels are already in post-production certification, and in the next two weeks we will be able to introduce crews to the vessels for hands on training."
Ali thanked him, "When should we pull the naval crews from the field?" She asked. Hat glanced sideward at her as they exited the facility and returned to the speeder they had arrived in. "Only once their training is complete. Another fortnight, and they should be ready. Any who fail their trials will be returned to the field for retraining in their deficiencies, I have already prepared a unit command staff for such an event."
"Do you think we'll have any failures?" Ali asked. "Thus far we've had only ten or twelve, discounting the handful of accidental deaths, so I should think not. I would recommend maintaining the strength of Carida's gravity on our vessels," He suggested as he climbed into the speeder's pilot seat and started the repulsors. "Such would give our soldiers an advantage long term when they deploy from the fleet, and disadvantage any hostiles attempting to board in combat." Ali agreed and followed him into the vehicle and gazed out at the landscape around them, feeling more confident in her organization by the day. Things were coming along quite nicely.

Alena stood on the balcony, resting her arms across the stone railing as she looked out from the Imperial medical facility and to Carida's surrounding landscape. The hospital had been built in a valley near the large military base that supported training exercises in this part of the world. One of Carida's oceans could be seen along the Western horizon, and the East played host to a large mountain range that spanned most of the continent. Lush forests and rolling plains spotted with a plethora of flowering and fruit-bearing trees and bushes filled the lands between. The air was cold, as it was want to be in the early mornings at this time of year. Alena had spent nearly ten months on the world, half of which she had been in recovery. Still she remained behind, but had visited CSAF's training units once a week for the last two months.
"Anything on your mind, Miss Reckar?" Galu asked. The Mon Cal's voice bubbled from the back of his throat as he sat upon a chair on the balcony, his datatablet resting on one thigh. The physician had been working with Alena since she had completed detox over three months ago, and the progress they'd made together had been substantial, to say the least. Alena was taking a mild concoction of anxiety medications to better facilitate her sessions with Galu and reinforce their progress when he was unavailable, or Alena was out in the field. Looking back, she was amazed she'd ever been able to function as a soldier, as dependent on alcohol as she'd been.
"I'm only enjoying the view, Galu." Alena replied calmly. "Not everything is a life-changing experience."
The Mon Cal chuckled from his seat, setting the datapad on a table and joining Alena at the balcony. "I would disagree, every moment is life changing." Alena looked over at him, their sessions had recently become more analogous to dialogues than conventional therapy. "I don't want a drink, if that's what you're wondering." She said. Galu turned a single eye toward her. "I wasn't. But this is good. Would you still accept one?"
Alena thought on that for a moment, gauging how confident she felt in the progress she had made. "I might...I don't want to fear drinking."
Galu nodded, "This is also good. Some addiction recovery programs I have encountered in my years have instilled fear in patients in order to keep them away from the substances they abuse. Others do worse; they rely on the existence of higher powers to stave off addiction, a method that only works with the genuinely faithful. The rest are doomed to fail, as a falsely-held belief is a poor foundation upon which to base one's recovery. Empowerment comes from within, not without."
Alena nodded, "I'm glad I'm here then." She replied softly. After a moment of mutual silence, Alena back out to the horizon. The valley sloped upward, cresting at the edge of a thick forest that carried on through the hills. "Have you considered my proposal?" She asked suddenly, anticipation in her voice. The Mon Cal blinked slowly, his chin tendrils recoiling somewhat. "I have...I am not convinced my work here with the Imperials is ended, though I am drawn inexorably to the concept you and your fellows have crafted."
The week prior, Alena had offered Galu a position within CSAF's medical corps. The man would have been an inalienable asset. He had at first politely refused, citing his tenure with the Imperial medical staff, but had yielded somewhat over the next few days. "I do desire to do more," he confessed, clasping his webbed hands together. "So...yes, I will join you on this magnificent undertaking." Alena looked at him and smiled, then continued to enjoy the view.

Ali watched through macrobinoculars from her position on the ridgeline as the squad of MAT-TE's crested the hill some ten kilometers away. The exercise was going well, CSAF's war games had been underway for the last two weeks. The force had been split in two and pitted against one another across the continent. The Imperial military had facilitated the games, offering logistical and administrative support in operating the region's vast training assets. The laser-based simulation systems installed on all of CSAF's equipment and weapons had been provided by the Imperials, much to the appreciation of Ali and the rest of the staff. The equipment worked well, and was easily augmented to work with their Commando's armor systems. The weapon systems even accounted for barometric pressure, wind speed and direction, source stability and other environmental factors that affected the flight of projectiles. Few of CSAF's weapons were energy-based, but even those that were had their own simulation systems that worked every bit as effectively as the real thing. Ali was incredibly impressed.
"Here they come," she muttered. Hat Ma'an stood at her side, and nodded. The other armor unit was positioned ten kilometers out as well, but hidden behind the crest of one of the mountain's many slopes. Baker Company, 2nd Battalion was laying in wait; their recce units had identified Able Company's maneuvers the night before and had prepared accordingly. Able Company, 1st Battalion was about to be caught unawares, unless...
"Heh," Ali coughed out, "There they are." She had driven her gaze back up the slope of the mountain upon which Able Company was positioned. She barely spotted them and had referenced the Force Tracker to get a true fix on their location, but there they were. A sniper team, positioned five kilometers up the slope with an eye on Baker Company's hidden forces. Over the commlink, Ali heard the spotter talking to his shooter.
"I see them, about seven klicks out, behind a crop of rock that runs the length of the ridge. I'm passing it on to Able's CO. Able-One-Charlie, this is Recce Team Easy, on position to your East. I've got eyes on the suspected force, forwarding you the coordinates now."
Moments later, Ali heard Able's Captain reply. "Copy that, RT-Easy, coordinates received. You are cleared to call in fires."

"Copy that. Keep your vehicles moving, in case they open fire, you do not have a good shooting angle from your pos." The spotter replied. Then he switched comms to reach 1st Battalion's Fires Command. "FC-One-One, this is RT-Easy, calling for fire mission, over."
"RT-Easy, this is FC-One-One, send it."
"Coordinates transmitting now, fire when ready."
"Coordinates received, firing now."

In the distance, Ali heard the distant booming of fired artillery units. They were stationed back near 1st Battalion's FOB, deep within the near pass of the mountains. The rounds they fired were true projectiles, but would cause only a sensor distortion when they struck their target. Ali turned her gaze to the South, where 2nd Battalion's Baker Company was hiding. The rounds impacted in a brief cloud of smoke, and Ali switched to 2nd Battalion's comms.
"Baker-One-Charlie, this is Whelmer One-One, we've been hit, I repeat, we've been hit. Primary shields down, main cannon offline." The vehicle's pilot declared. The MAT-TE's burst into a flurry of activity, rushing from their position behind the hill crest and moving up to higher elevation. Across the slope, 1st Battalion's MAT-TE's opened fire, launching their own sensor projectiles toward the now exposed enemy force. The rounds struck the already damaged MAT-TE as it attempted to flee with its companions. The vehicle stalled and remained still; it's digital signature noted that it had been destroyed. At the same time, RT-Easy reported that it's shooter had been hit by a 2nd Battalion sniper team.
Ali smiled, things were going swimmingly. Considering the units were so well trained, even after two weeks of continuous engagements, neither had secured an upper hand over the other. The battle waged had been a constant back and forth, with losses taken in handfuls, rather than as outright defeats. Currently, 2nd Battalion held a casualty advantage over 1st, though it numbered no more than 30 soldiers and a trio of MAT-TE's. 1st had suffered casualties to their artillery in an ambush during transport, but the attacking 2nd Battalion force had been destroyed in the resulting battle.
Beside her, Hat Ma'an nodded approvingly. "Things are going well." He remarked. "Are they now?" A voice behind them called. Ali lowered her binos and turned to identify the source of the noise. The sight of Alena Reckar brought yet another smile to her lips. "Alena," she called, jogging swiftly up the slope and taking Alena into an embrace. The Chiss woman had arrived in full beskar'gam, in which Ali and Hat were both garbed as well. Alena's armor was colored a mottled green and brown, reflective of her preference for natural fighting environments. CSAF had adopted much of the Mando'ade culture and tradition, though the diversity of their compatriots had led to inevitable differences. Armor colors were adopted by units as a whole to reflect the environments in which they most commonly fought. Function was revered before appearance as the CSAF mission was always foremost in the consideration of things. This was the first visit to the field Alena had made in armor. Her helmet hung from her hip, and a Verpine Assault Rifle from her shoulder as was most common with CSAF Commandos.
Alena held Ali tightly for a long moment, and when she leaned back to look Ali in the eyes, neither woman let go. "It's good to see you," Ali whispered. Alena dipped her chin and rested her forehead against Ali's, who closed her eyes and thought of the other woman warmly. "It's good to be here," Alena replied, releasing Ali after a moment. Hat Ma'an stepped joined them, his clawed hands clasped at the small of his back. He brought one forward and grasped Alena's firmly. "Lord Commander, it is good to see you fit for fighting once more."
"Thank you, General." Alena replied confidently. "How goes the recovery?" Ma'an asked. Alena nodded, "It goes well. I struggled for some time identifying the source of my problems, but now that I have them laid bare before me, I have been able to erode the pillars of my addiction." Ali smiled, "This is good. This is what CSAF is about, helping people, helping each other." Alena returned Ali's smile warmly. The sun reflected off her black-blue hair, and she shimmered slightly in the light. Ali enjoyed the sight of her so happy.

"Come, we have much to talk about," Ali said, gesturing behind her. Alena nodded and stepped forward as they returned to the ridgeline. "How go the games?" Alena asked. Ali pointed out at the fleeing 2nd Battalion MAT-TE squad. "It goes well, neither side has managed to secure a true advantage despite two weeks of engagements across varying terrain and fighting conditions." Alena beamed, "This speaks to the fortitude of their training," she said, looking to Hat. "And to the skill of their leaders." Hat Ma'an bowed slightly, ever modestly replying, "None of us would be here were it not for you." Alena accepted his compliment with aplomb, turning to the holotable that was displaying the battlefield around them. "The training equipment provided by the Imperials is working well, I assume?" She asked. Ali nodded, pointing out various units on the display. "Indeed. We've had a handful of technical issues, but they were resolved before the games began." Alena nodded, "And when do they end?" She asked. Ali smirked, throwing a knowing glance to Hat. "When one side wins."
Alena grinned, then asked, "And what have we done to test the commandos various other skills?" Ali replied easily. "We have established civilian populations manned by various Imperial droid types with which our units must engage as per the CSAF mission directive. Units have completed supply tasks, various linguistic challenges, counter-insurgency operations, and all the while minimized civilian casualties and damage to infrastructure." Alena was clearly impressed, she'd been reading over the notes Ali had provided during the last several months, but seeing it all in action was striking a chord within her. "I couldn't be happier," she said quietly. Ali took a place at her side and rested a hand on her shoulder. "Neither could I, my friend."

The weeks dragged on, and with every day, the war game continued at a seemingly unaltered pace. The two divisions, originally pitted against one another in an exercise, had escalated to something akin to a full blown conflict, but with simulated arms. Supply lines in and out of the region had been severed and reestablished a dozen times, casualties mounted in the triple digits, and vehicles were being replaced daily. The results of the exercise could not have left Alena feeling more proud, and no matter how weary the organization's soldiers had grown, they persisted, day after day, week after week. Things had become so exacerbated that both Division's leaders were literally vying for attention from the local Imperial garrison for increases in supplies and equipment to maintain their simulated weaponry. A week earlier, a raid had been conducted by 2nd Division's 3rd Battalion, on the Imperial garrison itself. CSAF soldiers from 2nd Division had broken into the compound at night and held the Imperial security personnel under guard while securing technical crew and ammunition for their artillery units, which had run dry on supplies two days prior. The time the raid mission had taken had offered 1st Division the opportunity to maneuver on 2nd Division assets in the region, securing an air field that had been established in the Eastern foothills of the mountains nearly 100 Kilometers away from the initial battlespace.
One night, long after the day's hostilities had ended, Alena found herself standing over the primary battlefield holoprojector with the rest of the Command Staff arrayed around her. Hraffa, the female Wookiee, growled her displeasure. She felt it was time for the exercise to end. A few others agreed, but Alena and Ali wanted to see it through, and Hat Ma'an, along with the rest, supported the idea. "This has gone on long enough," Guri Pasha insisted, her suckered fingertips splayed along the edge of the holotable. Ali shook her head, "No way, we can't quit now. They have to see the mission through. That's what this entire exercise is about."
Alena nodded, catching Pasha's eye. "I understand your frustration, but we can't see the forest for the trees. Look at what's happening. Literal raids on Imperial resources, the rules thrown completely out of the window. Our commandos are doing exactly what they have to to secure victory, and they're doing it without sacrificing the tenets of our organization's Charter."
Hat Ma'an concurred. "Second Division seems to have gained the upper hand in rearming their artillery, though their losses from First Battalion the following day were substantial. Now that First Division has ignored the initial battlespace parameters, we should see an escalation to this conflict that will define this entire generation of soldiers. This is no longer about training, what is happening is real. We cannot sacrifice their efforts in the pursuit of comfort. We train to standard, not to time."

Alena looked down from her position on the hillside at the gathered representatives from 1st and 2nd Divisions. General Mack Brower, a male Human from Corellia, and General Tigua Amada, a Female Zabrak from Iridonia, stood face-to-face over a small, steel-framed brazier. The fire that crackled between them glowed gently in the night. The tactical situation between the two opposing forces had continued for three weeks after Alena and the rest of the staff decided to continue the exercise, which had escalated to something tantamount to a continental war. Alena had been forced to request more training space from the Imperial Military in order to accommodate the emboldened tactics employed by the two Generals. The request had been a tough sell to the Imperial commander of the continent's training division after the raid executed by 2nd Division's 3rd Battalion, which had secured artillery munitions and technical crew from an Imperial training support base. However, after speaking with the garrison commander, Alena had secured permissions to expand their operations across the continent; the commander had been intrigued enough to demand his own personnel be attached to Alena's command detail in order to follow the development of the "war." The two Divisions had been decided to represent two different populations of the Caridan people, split between the East and the West of this continent. The "government" was played by personnel from the Imperial military and represented civilians living in both territories. Eventually, diplomacy had been attempted, which was why Alena was here tonight, speaking directly to both leaders. An Imperial representative was also present, playing the role of the elected civilian leadership. Alena herself was playing the part of arbiter for the talks. The rest of CSAF's command staff was present as well as support staff for each respective Division.

"Generals," Alena began, her voice soft, but firm. "I am Senator Alena Reckar, chairperson of the foreign relations committee of the Republic Senate. I have been called by the elected leadership of Carida to facilitate a peaceful resolution to this growing conflict, and appreciate your mutual attendance this evening." The two Generals looked to her and bowed slightly. Alena dipped her head in exchange. Of course, Alena was not a Republic Senator, but that was the role she had been selected by the command staff to fill for the purposes of the exercise. The only "in play" leadership on behalf of CSAF were the Generals themselves. "The Caridan government has brought to the attention of the Republic the plight of their people. Your conflict has spread across their lands, destroying and risking civilian lives, and disrupting the Caridan economy. The people of this world wish to see a resolution to your conflict."
Alena gestured to the holoprojector table sitting between herself and the brazier. It flickered to life, and a hazy image of the continent appeared, glowing in the dark of the night. "As things stand, your two forces have engaged across hundreds of kilometers of Caridan land, pressing into civilian and military populations alike. You have secured supply lines, air fields, and entire military installations and cities." The last development had been of particular surprise to Alena, when she had been made aware two weeks prior. 2nd Division had pressed into an Imperial active duty garrison in order to secure a tactical advantage over 1st Division in the rolling hills East of the mountains. The Imperial garrison had at first refused them entry, but after Alena had spoken with the garrison commander, they had been allowed to roleplay their takeover of the base, and Imperial troops and personnel had been organized to provide a realistic response. CSAF's ultimate training exercise now involved not only CSAF's own thousands of commandos and support staff, but hundreds of the Imperial's own military personnel.

"Casualties have mounted," Alena continued, "And both sides of this conflict have suffered long enough, do you not agree?" The question was rhetorical, and neither General proffered a response. "I am here tonight to ask of you three, what will it take to end this conflict?" She gestured to
the Imperial playing the role of civilian government. "Minister Gloman Shue, you may respond."
Shue stepped forward and spoke directly to both Generals. "Esteemed military representatives of the Caridan people, I am Prime Minister Gloman Shue. I have been elected to represent the civilian populations of this continent. Your war has spanned a significant portion of the globe, affecting trade and commerce every bit as much as the lives of our people. We have seen death and destruction rend the lives of our populace, and we beg of you to end this disastrous conflict. I have been tasked with issuing these demands from the peoples of our lands. We wish to see both sides of this conflict disarm themselves immediately, relinquishing their weapons and equipment to the civilian government immediately. Such a turn over will take place in the strongholds of the East and West respective of their Divisions. Your soldiers are required to disband immediately and swear an oath never to take up arms against your fellow citizens. A representative military of the Caridan people of this continent will be formed, exclusive to those who have not taken part in your conflict. Your soldiers will be tasked with reconstruction efforts across the continent, and you will be provided with the means to support yourselves during this time. Representatives are requested from each Division to facilitate the turnover of weapons and equipment. A civilian militia has been organized to oversee these demands are met."
Alena's eyebrows arched, Now that was an interesting development. She thought. The civilian representative was threatening the rise of a third participant in this conflict, one that was already tactically positioned within the territories of both Divisions. An uprising would be costly to both sides. Alena nodded, "Thank you Prime Minister." She looked to General Amada, "You may respond, General." Alena said.

The Zabrak General cleared her throat and drew a datapad from her pocket. "As representative of the fighting forces of Second Division, I have been chosen by my peers to provide this list of demands. Firstly, the forces of First Division must withdraw from the Imperial facilities they now occupy and return to their lands in the West. They must relieve themselves of all equipment and supplies secured from our territories and bases, and vow never to return to conflict against us. We will organize the reinstitution of commerce along three different routes of trade through a neutral, demilitarized portion of land between the East and the West. Lastly, we will require payment for reconstruction be provided by First Division in the form of supplies and personnel from your civilian population."
Alena looked to General Brower, who was coming from a position of greater strength. 1st Division had pushed nearly two hundred kilometers into the East during the last week of the conflict, and held the tactical advantage over 2nd Division, whose forces in the region were holed up within a small span of mountains that limited their movement and opportunity for counterattack. "General." The Corellian frowned at General Amada. "Our demands stand as follows. Second Division must immediately relinquish control of the lands we have secured. Your armies are required to disband, and your equipment and arms turned over to us. A demilitarized zone will be demarcated East of the territories we now hold to facilitate commerce between our two peoples. We will reduce our arms, but will not disband our armies." General Brower looked to Alena, signaling the end of initial declaration of terms. Alena nodded, "Thank you General." She looked to the other two representatives, taking a deep breath and yielding her primary judgment.
"General Brower, you are arguing from a position of strength over Second Division, and have fought admirably in this conflict. Neither side has resorted to deplorable tactics, and have endeavored to secure and provide for the respective civilian populations they have come into contact with throughout the duration of this war. Even so, I do not find it just that Second Division must be required to disband their military while yours does not. I cannot see that General Amada will accept these terms."
General Amada nodded, "You would be right, Senator. I cannot willfully disarm my people while their attackers linger, armed and armored, just outside our borders. Similarly, the lands they have secured in our territories must be returned, the resources there are vital to the infrastructure of our economy."
General Brower interjected, "We would gladly process and sell to you those resources that you need." The Zabrak's eyes flashed and she bit back, "At an incredible mark up, I am sure." The Corellian shrugged, "I'm certain we could come to amicable terms." To which Amada replied, "Your terms, as they stand, are anything but amicable."
Alena cleared her throat loudly, "Generals, please, let us not lose sight of what is important here, the lives of the Caridan people. Whatever terms we reach, they must be focused on the needs of the people, not the needs of your personal selves, or your respective fighting forces. Seeing as how neither of your terms consider this crucial factor, I am inclined to side with Prime Minister Shue. Your arms and equipment must be turned over to the civilian organized militia, who will decide their fate. Your personnel must not only be disbarred from service, but exchanged between the two populations for the duration of the reconstruction efforts on both sides. This, I believe, will help strengthen the bonds of your citizenry, showing that there are more sides to war than simply us and them."
Alena dipped her head to the Caridan Prime Minister. "Minister Shue, I announce my support of your terms above those of either General. Republic forces will be provided in order to ensure a peaceful transition. We will require air space and landing permissions in all of your respective facilities. You can expect this transition to begin within the next three days. I appreciate the active participation of all those present here tonight. Thank you, and may the Force be with you."

Alena stood, signaling the end of the discussion. The two Generals bowed stiffly to one another and stepped away from the brazier, which continued to burn softly in the night. After stepping down from her dais, Alena clapped her hands together and cried out gleefully, "ENDEX, ENDEX, ENDEX." The order was reproduced across all CSAF lines of communication, marking the end of the lengthy, simulated conflict.
Generals Brower and Amada stepped toward one another and grasped hands, smiling and patting one another across the shoulders. "Congratulations, Lord Commander, they are finally ready." Hat Ma'an said as Alena stepped down. She nodded, "Indeed they are."
Ali, who had remained silent throughout the duration of the talks, made her way to Alena's side. "I'm glad to see it finally resolved," she said with a smile. Alena nodded, embracing the other woman warmly. After two years of grueling, arduous training, CSAF's inaugural class of Commandos was ready to do what they had all gathered to do: Help people.

An hour later, Alena had the upper echelon leaders from both Divisions join her along with the rest of the Command Staff. They were to perform an extensive AAR, or After Action Review. The meeting would go on for hours, she was sure, all through the night. She sat around a large conference table within the Imperial FOB that had served as their initial training garrison, a cup of caf, not liquor, resting before her. "Well, I firstly wanted to thank everyone for their valiant participation. We have risen to great heights from a band of volunteers to a force of commandos prepared to take on the problems of an entire Galaxy. Your efforts were essential to the success of this fledgling operation." Alena nodded her thanks to those gathered.
"I wanted to begin with the end negotiations that took place tonight. Generals Amada and Brower, while I commend your civility and open mindedness, neither of you placed the needs of the civilian population ahead of your respective forces when it came to designing terms for peace. While I recognize that in a real world scenario you would be hard pressed to forego the needs of your forces for the needs of neutral parties, you were still acting as representatives of organizations like our own. I am glad to see you accepted the terms provided by the Imperial actor, but I fear you only did so in the face of Republic intervention. Keep this in mind next time you find yourselves in this position. Trust is hard to come by when dealing with enemies, but never forget the Mission."
The Generals nodded, offering no rebuttal. Alena smiled, then turned her attention to the details of the exercise. They continued evaluating the last three months of conflict with great attention, outlining successes and failures on both sides, and ascribing suggestions for improvement to both. Alena felt sleep nagging at the back of her mind throughout the duration of the discussion, though the excitement she felt boiling inside her kept her both awake and attentive through the rest of the night. She had finally found her purpose in life, and she would die before she missed a moment of it.

CSAF's inaugural class of Commandos stood at ease in a large formation within the heart of the Imperial garrison. Two years had passed since Ali and the rest of the command staff had arrived on Carida along behind Alena Reckar. Two long, arduous years dealing with the enhanced gravity, months at a time in the field, living off of the environment. Finally today had arrived, the celebration of the completion of their training. The Civilian Security Assistance Force was now ready to take on the evils of an entire Galaxy.
The sun was shining over the Western walls of the Imperial garrison, its light reaching across the massive formation of over five thousand soldiers. Every Commando wore their full combat gear, complete with weapons and equipment. The formation was broken up by Division, 1st and 2nd, and further into their respective Battalions, Companies, and Platoons. Officers stood at the head of each formation, elected from amongst their own peers. This was how CSAF chose its leaders, the will of the soldiery. All had taken the lead at some point throughout their training, and all were prepared to do so again. Each soldier knew the job of the Commando above and below them, and hierarchy was merely a formality used to facilitate ease of communication and command. Every soldier was a Commando, and every Commando was an army.

Ali stood slightly behind and to Alena's flank as the woman who served as premier Lord Commander stepped up to the podium, garbed in full battle dress. Aside Ali stood General Hat Ma'an and the rest of the Command Staff. Ali beamed with pride at the woman who had carried herself from the shell of a being she had once been to the confident, capable leader she now was. None of them could have done this alone. She waited with bated breath to hear Alena Reckar's words.

Alena stepped up to the podium with pride shown on her features. Her voice would be carried through the commlink in her helm, heard only by the soldiers of CSAF arrayed before her in a formation so large she could hardly see its end with her naked eyes alone. Even their naval and support crews were gathered, as they had completed every moment of training as the rest of their comrades. Around the walls of the garrison's perimeter, Imperial soldiers stood watch, taking a break from their daily tasks to observe the immense gathering. Alena had worked with these Imperials for the last two years, and she held nothing by the greatest respect and admiration for the Imperial forces of Carida. They had tirelessly facilitated CSAF's evolution through months of sweltering heat and bitter cold. Alena owed [member=Caius Flavian] for his government's patience and support even through a final training exercise that had spanned nearly half a year and an entire continent. What Alena had to say here would not be broadcast, nor amplified by speakers. She would speak directly to the soldiers of CSAF themselves, and to the Imperials of the garrison alone. She took a deep breath and began.

"Almost three years ago, I came to Carida with an idea, a hope. I wanted to make a direct and positive change in the lives of the poor, oppressed, and disenfranchised people of this Galaxy. I wanted not only to save lives, but improve them, I wanted to protect and empower people. With Lord Commander Ali Hadrix at my side, and the support of our esteemed Command Staff, we convinced you, the greatest individuals the Galaxy had to offer, to partake with us in this idea."
Alena gripped the sides of the podium and looked across the formation before her, at the thousands of masked faces that looked back up at her.

"I am proud to say that on this day, that idea, that hope, has become a reality. We have slogged through forests, scaled mountains, and explored the depths of oceans, and before me today, I see not a band of likeminded individuals, but an aliit, a family, a clan. I see soldiers, yes, but I also see doctors, professors, politicians, champions of the weak and the pained. I see this Galaxy's greatest hope."
Alena paused, gazing out again at the formation. She bit at the inside of her cheek for a moment, she had not prepared this speech.

"When I arrived on Carida, I was Lord Commander, but I was not a leader. I was a broken, beaten woman, a victim of abuse and neglect, designed at first by others, and perpetuated by my own hand. To my recovery I owe every one of you that stand before me today, for giving me the strength to face my demons and crush them, utterly. And not until today did I truly deserve the title of Lord Commander. Where once I leaned on the neck of a bottle to carry me through adversity, I now lean on the shoulders of the beings I call ner'vode."
Alena paused once more, a breeze had picked up and carried thick, white clouds across the sky overhead.
"After today, our mission begins. We will carry our campaign of peace and stability across the back of a broken Galaxy, helping all of those we can to the best of our abilities. I hold no doubt or reservation in my mind: We will do good, we will make waves of change in a Galaxy rent by war and stricken by poverty. But I caution you: We can do this together, but we can only do this together. May the Force be with us all."
Alena dipped her head to conclude her speech, and in response, the formation of thousands put their hands together in a tremendous round of applause. The cacophony was deafening, but from behind her, Alena could hear Ali speak the words: "So this is how Democracy is born...to thunderous applause..."

Alena could not help but smile, and as she pulled the helmet from her head and held it aloft, she did so broadly.

That night the Commandos of CSAF celebrated the completion of their training with the soldiers of the Imperial garrison. Rafters of meats and vegetables from a dozen worlds were cooked over open fires by Imperial culinary staff, and metal casks of liquor and beer from across the Galaxy were tapped and shared amongst the thousands gathered. Ali found herself wandering the yards with a bottle in her hand, stripped down from her armor and garbed in a simple skirt and tank top. The summer air was warm long after the sun disappeared below the horizon to the East, and she reveled in the celebration evolving all around her. Boisterous fights broke out to the cheers of Imperial and CSAF soldiers alike, and card games like Pazaak and Gwent were played for hours on end. All across the garrison Ali heard songs sung from a plethora of species, representing the immense diversity of cultures that comprised CSAF's ranks.

As she joined the rest of the command staff at a table near the middle of the yard where the foods were being prepared, she caught sight of Alena with a glass in her hand. She lifted her bottle at the woman from across the round table and gave her an inquisitive glance, to which the blue-skinned Chiss nodded and lifted her own. They drank together, and Ali beamed. Alena had overcome her fears, and Ali couldn't be more proud. Hat Ma'an, ever the pragmatist, was embroiled in a deep conversation with the rest of the sober members of the staff regarding future training. "We have steeled the minds of our soldiers against rudimentary intrusion of Force abilities," he was saying, "But we must expand this effort, I feel." Guri Pasha nodded, "We have identified those soldiers in the ranks who are Force Sensitive, and ought to make contact with the Republic's Jedi to broker a training agreement between our two organizations. We can offer their combat-focused Jedi training in the methods and tactics of war in return."
General Grishnak, the Trandoshan male, nodded and hissed. "I am sssertain the Jedi will find thisss propossition agreeable. Who shhhall we sssend as our emissssary?" He asked. Ali elbowed her way onto the table and set down her beer. "I say we send Maki," she interjected, tilting her head in the Zabrak's direction. "You've got a background in hostage negotiation, you know how to talk to people." Flor nodded, "I do, though I'm not sure I'll need to convince the Jedi to turn over their lightsabers." The group laughed, but in the end it was decided Maki would make the trip to the Republic capital and proposition the Jedi Order.
Ali introduced another, also important issue. "We'll need to continue training soldiers, which means selecting an appropriate staff to remain here on Carida and lead them. I know we've all been here for far too long, but I feel that at least half of us should make up the next training staff. We can adopt from the rest of the force to make up for the difference."
Alena looked at Ali from across the table, knowing why she had brought the topic up. "You want to remain here." It was a statement, rather than a question. Ali nodded solemnly. Weeks ago, the Republic's Supreme Chancellor, Genevieve Lasedri, had attempted to usurp the Republic Senate with a clone army that had been secretly bred for the purpose. In response to the suspension of democracy and the nationalization of a dozen corporate entities, the united clans of Mandalore had launched an invasion of the Roche system. Ali had been there, leading the defense. During the battle, Kol'k Oto, a government official of the Verpine had ordered the depressurization of several hangars on Nickel One occupied by Mandalorian forces. Many civilians had been killed, and Ali had been selected as the scapegoat for the crime. The Republic government, already weakened by years of open warfare with the One Sith, had caved to their demands and launched an investigation into Ali's involvement in the massacre. She had been stripped of her title as the Republic's Supreme Commander and her privileges within GRIM locked. As a result, CSAF's primary means of funding had been cut off, and they would be relying on the grace of the Imperial government within the next several months simply to cover their operating costs. They were at risk for stagnation as they would not be able to afford to launch any operations once their finances reached that point. Ali had gone underground, purging every trace of herself from within the Republic, before rejoining Alena and the rest of the command staff on Carida.
Alena looked at Ali with a sadness in her eyes. She knew how Ali felt, the loss in her heart was great. Ali loved the Republic, she loved democracy, and while rough around her edges, she'd always strived to ensure its victory over oppression. "It will be done then, Commander Hadrix." The rest of the staff nodded in agreement. "You will remain here as CSAF's premier training officer, permitted we can secure the approval of the Imperials for our continued presence on Carida. I can speak with Prime Minister Flavian myself." Ali nodded, "Thank you, Alena."

The next morning, the Imperial garrison was a flurry of inactivity. Soldiers of both banners woke in all places expected and unexpected, the oddest of which being slung over the barrel of a MAT-TE's mass driver cannon. Alena herself woke on her back, laying along the bench seat of one of the many pre-fab tables that had been set up for the previous night's celebrations. She looked up at the morning sky, the sun had already begun its climb toward its zenith. Alena sat up and looked around, hundreds of CSAF and Imperial personnel were meandering around, starting on the task of cleaning up after the immense mess they'd made. Looking down the length of the table, Alena lost count of the number of bottles, and the sudden fear gripped her that she had drunk herself to sleep. A quick introspection revealed this hadn't happened; she was not groggy nor did she have a headache. She wasn't hungover, which was good. Alena had kept her drink limit to two glasses, and Ali had helped her stick to it. This brought a small smile to her lips, and she looked around for the other woman. After a moment, she found her where she least expected.
Ali was laying between her legs, her head resting on Alena's stomach. She gently ran her fingers along Ali's cheek, then her neck. "Time to wake up, Miss Hadrix." Alena cooed. The woman stirred, groaned, and her lashes flickered. "Morning," she grunted as she stretched her stomach, pressing against Alena. It felt...oddly good. She ignored the feeling for a moment, "How did you sleep?" Alena asked as she sidled out from underneath Ali's mess of hair. The other woman sat upright beside her and began shaking bottles looking for a drink. Finding one, Ali sipped from it and rinsed out her mouth with beer, then drank the rest before setting the bottle back down.
"I slept pretty good," she replied, grinning. Alena smiled and nodded, then stood and performed her own morning stretch. "What's the plan after clean up?" She asked. Ali shrugged, already drinking from another bottle. Alena frowned, but knew Ali had more control over herself than she'd ever had. "We need to sit down with the rest of the staff and plan our first set of missions. I'm already in touch with several people who could use our help. We also need to meet with the naval command staff and brief them on the progress of the fleet. They're getting antsy with simulated training." Alena nodded, "Sounds good to me. First though, I need a shower." Ali laughed lightly. "Maybe I'll join you?" She said suddenly, quietly. Alena didn't respond, but began walking away. The other woman followed with a smirk on her lips.

Ali stepped out of the 'fresher and ran her hands through her long, wet locks, squeezing the water out over her shoulder as she reached for a towel. Alena remained inside, sitting on the small bench, letting the hot water run down her front. She breathed deeply, her eyes closed. Ali began patting herself dry as she looked back at the other woman. "Feel better?" Ali asked with a knowing smile. Alena didn't say anything, simply nodded. Ali finished drying and reached for her clothes, pulling a coyote brown tank top over her head and smoothing it out, then donning her underwear. "You plan on staying in there forever?" She asked. Alena smiled and nodded, "I'd certainly like to, just not alone."
Ali laughed lightly as she pulled her trousers over her feet. They'd both needed this sort of release after months on end of field operations and the emotional stress of Alena's recovery. Ali wasn't sure their pairing had been the wisest choice considering how closely they worked together, but Ali had never been the type to remain attached, and neither had Alena. Fun was just that, fun, and didn't require anything but a willingness to provide for one another. No expectations just...

Alena turned the water off and stepped lethargically out of the 'fresher to dry herself. Ali, now fully clothed, handed her a towel before drying her own hair. "The rest of the staff should be gathering here in a few," she said. Alena nodded silently, running the towel over her face. I really did a number on her...Ali realised, pleased with herself. As a precaution, she leaned in and rested a hand on Alena's naked hip. "Are you alright?" She asked. The Chiss woman sighed and nodded, "Yes, I just...really needed that." Ali smiled, "I understand. I'm glad I could be the one."
Ali left Alena to dress and stepped out of the room, returning to her datatablet and checking her messages. There were several, each from different members of the command staff. "Looks like they're already gathered and going over the business of the day. I'm going to head out, join me there?" Ali called. She heard Alena's voice respond, "Sure, I'll be right behind you."

When she arrived in the conference room the Imperial military had provided them for secure gatherings, the conference table was full up with the rest of the command staff. Hat Ma'an stood at the head of the table, pointing to a holoprojection that displayed a portion of the Galactic map. "Lord Commander, I'm glad you could join us," he said pleasantly. Ali smiled and made herself a seat at the far end of the table. Alena stepped through the double doors moments later and sat beside her. Guri Pasha, who was seated to Ali's right, noted the wetness of their hair. "Find time to relax?" The Rodian woman asked. Ali laughed quietly and nodded, "Yes, yes we did."
Hat Ma'an regained control of the conversation and continued where he had left off. "The Republic has recently suffered losses on Togoria, and been forced from the system by the latest expansion of the One Sith. This has cut supply and communication between their Northern territories and the capital of Yutan. We've received word from Senator Suravi Teigra that an attempt to gather these cast away populations under the umbrella of a temporary government is underway. She has called a meeting of all those willing to lend aid to Kiribi. The conference will take place in the next several cycles."
He looked to Alena, "I would request you personally show, Lord Commander." Alena nodded, "Hadrix, you will accompany me." Ali lifted an eyebrow, sensing a bit of frustration in Alena's tone. She would have to remember to ask her about it later. "Are you sure that's wise? I was planning on staying here." Alena gave her a sideward glance and nodded curtly. "Yes, I want you with me." Ali offered no argument, and acquiesced.

"This mission will take the majority of our operating strength, and as such, we will not embark on any further missions until we know what assets will be allocated to this endeavor. I will yield now to General Hessan, who has information regarding our production line of naval vessels." Hat stepped aside and returned to his seat. The black-skinned Devaronian stood and altered the projector display, replacing the Galactic map with diagrams of the naval fleets prescribed war vessels.
"As of two cycles ago, three-quarters of the fleet completed construction and moved on to the initial testing phases. I will be leaving here with General Nrub tomorrow to oversee the certification of the warships. They are being held at an Imperial construction yard in orbit over Carida. After initial testing is complete, phase two testing will begin with CSAF crews working alongside Imperial construction teams. Phase three testing will consist of a field operation headed by CSAF naval staff, with Imperial crews on standby to assist with any technical issues. Pending the completion of phase three testing, the vessels will be turned over to CSAF control officials, and serve as the core of our naval force. We are currently looking at a force of six vessels, with three more to complete phase three testing within the next four months. I must remind our naval officers that they will be operating at three-fourths strength until that time."
Ali lifted a hand, and Hessan nodded. "Lord Commander." He acknowledged her. Ali cleared her throat and glanced up from her datatablet. "Are we comfortable with the balance of firepower this fleet will provide at three-fourths strength?" She asked. Hessan shook his head. "We will want to avoid any direct hostilities with full-fledged naval forces during this time. Standing orders are to break contact if the ratio of hostile-to-friendly forces exceeds one-to-one. At full strength, this ratio will grow to three-to-one. Our carrier vessels are not yet completed in their construction, so our fighter support will be lacking. We will have access only to those pilots assigned to hyperdrive-capable craft, such as the K-wing bombers and the Tee-Seventy X-wings."
Ali nodded, "Thank you, General."

"Alena, wait." She heard Ali's voice from behind her as they were the last to leave the conference room after the meeting was concluded. She halted and turned on a heel, unable to suppress the frustration in her mannerisms. The chocolate-locked woman jogged up to her and crossed her arms over her chest. "What do you need, Ali?" Alena asked tersely. "Are...we okay?" She replied with a question. Alena ran her tongue along the bottoms of her upper teeth and thought for a moment. She didn't exactly want to have this conversation right now, but it would happen eventually, and she was working on better expressing her feelings. "I didn't like what you said to Pasha in there. About us."
Ali frowned, as if thinking back to the conversation. Alena enlightened her. "You told her about our...fun. I was wanting to keep that between us...at least for now." Ali's eyes widened and she bit her bottom lip shyly, a rare expression of remorse. "I'm...I'm sorry, I didn't think..." Alena grimaced, "Yeah, I could tell. You have a habit of doing that." Ali stepped back, the shock on her face apparent. Alena felt immediately regretful for the comment, and allowed her features to soften. "I'm sorry, Ali, I'm just...not used to this sort of thing." Ali tilted her head. "What do you mean? You seemed pretty...used to it this morning."
Alena shook her head and rolled her eyes, "I'm not in the mood to be playful." Ali nodded, understanding. "I get that...you want to keep things quiet. And I agree with you, it's not something we need to be sharing with people. I don't even know what it is, and that's okay. We don't have to think about it right now." She stepped toward Alena, resting a hand on her cheek. Alena nuzzled it for a moment, then leaned away. "Can we talk about this later? I've got preparations to make before the summit...so do you." Ali nodded, "Yeah, sure. I'll meet you in the hangar in a couple hours, alright?" Alena smiled slightly. "Yeah, I'll see you there." At that, they parted ways, and Alena returned to her quarters, feeling unsure about everything all of a sudden. I could really use a drink...

Ali glanced over the schematics for the third time, her mind distracted and not particularly focused on the details. The vessel that hovered in the air above the table in her quarters shimmered slightly as the lighting of the room shifted. Ali looked up and saw her mother, Myra, stepping through the door. It sealed quietly behind her. Myra, ever beautiful, shook a hand through her bright red locks of hair and smiled as she took a seat opposite Ali at the table.
"How you doin', Al'ika?" Her mother asked. Ali looked up and frowned, "I don't know, buir." She replied solemnly. Myra leaned forward and ran a finger through the projection; the warship flickered and recompiled itself. "What's on your mind, kiddo?" Ali sighed, "It's Alena. And CSAF, and a dozen other things." Myra tilted her head and nodded, "Start with the first one. Are you two not getting along? Problems with the leadership? I didn't think having two Commanding officers was the best idea, you know that."
Ali shook her head, "It's not that...things were going fine until this morning, Alena and I..." Myra finished for her, with an arched eyebrow. "You slept together, didn't you?" Ali nodded, "And it was great, but then I screwed things up, said something to someone when Alena was wanting to keep it all...quiet." Myra nodded understandingly. "Not everyone's like you, Ali. Not everyone can compartmentalize the way you can. I used to think your father and I messed up somewhere along the way raising you, I never expected you to turn out to be so..."
"Slutty?" Ali bit out. Myra rolled her eyes, "No, so in tune with yourself. Most people flounder through relationships not knowing who they are, that's how your father and I ended up together." Ali frowned, "How do you make it work?" She asked. Myra shrugged, "We almost didn't. Having you, and with your father still working on university, and me running off time and again with the Sith Army...he wanted to leave, to take you, several times. But I wouldn't let him. Eventually I bailed on the military and found work at home. That's what kept your father around. He wanted you to have a mother, and I was still aching to galavant across the Galaxy."

"But it worked out, obviously." Ali pointed out. Her mother nodded, "Yes, but it took great compromise, and sometimes I still regret coming back permanently. I lived vicariously through you, in your youth, as you wandered about figuring out who you were. I was jealous for a time."
Ali's eyes widened; she'd never heard that from her mother before. "You're a good woman, Ali," Myra continued, "But in many ways, you're better put together than a lot of people. You can't expect them to all operate on your level. You may know what you want out of this, but Alena...I get the sense she's still figuring it all out. Be patient, and take things slow. Focus on your work together, and let Alena determine the boundaries of your relationship." Ali smiled slightly and nodded. "I can get behind that," she said softly, thinking of Alena fondly once more. "Thanks, buir."
"Any time, kiddo."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom