Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Advanced Emitter Military Rifle (A.E.M.R.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew(Rogue)Drevur

Captain of the Emeralde Luna, and owner/friend of
30muvxw.jpg
Base Blaster and Accessories
2na4n5e.jpg

Base Blaster and Slug Rounds
2llg5kx.jpg

Slug Round Drum
2hzu6n9.jpg

Suppressor Barrel V.1
2q07jb7.jpg

Suppressor Barrel V.2
14jnlp4.jpg

20X Zoom Scope
23vghg6.jpg

Stock
2qwj22d.jpg

How "Rogue" equips A.E.M.R.
2psk45g.jpg

Blaster Fully Assembled

Image Source: ​I took the images myself, but uploaded them using http://tinypic.com

Intent: An prototype duel ammo rifle, that can switch between four settings

Development Thread: None Yet

Manufacturer: [member="Matthew(Rogue)Drevur"]

Model: A.E.M.R. v.1

Affiliation: Was originally created for the New Republic by the Jedi Padawan Matthew "Rogue" Drevur, but was never mass produced due to him leaving the Jedi Order.

Modularity: Yes, but can only be swapped out between the four accessories

Production: Production: Unique

Material: Durasteel Plating shell, regular Republic blaster parts, and regular Slug blaster parts

Classification: Blaster/Slugthrower

Size: Handheld

Length: 50.8 Centimeters

Weight: 4 Kilograms

Ammunition Type: Power cell, gas canister, slug ammo

Ammunition Capacity: bolts= 150 shots before having to cool down, slugs (with drum magazine) before having to reload= 50 shots

Effective Range: Personal/Battlefield:
Bolts: approximately 300 meters
Slugs: approximately 400 meters

Rate of Fire: semi-auto and full-auto fire.

Special Features: This rifle, though may look like a normal blaster rifle, can shoot slugs as well. And can also switch between semi-auto and full-auto.

Description: This rifle is fairly unique, with only a few prototypes ever made. This rifle was designed and built entirely by Rogue during his time as a Jedi Padawan. It was some fairly unique features, that are listed here:
Two barrels
Has four different firing settings indicated by a gray nob near the rear of the blaster
Can shoot bolts as well as slugs
Can shoot semi-auto as well as full-auto
Has four accessories, which are the Stock, the 20x Zoom scope (the zoom can also be adjusted), the Suppressor Barrel V.1(increases accuracy and range, but does nothing for the slugs), and the Suppressor Barrel V.2 (increases accuracy and range, and also silences the slug rounds).
Can be used for a multitude of purposes because of its high range, such as a sniper rifle, assault rifle, assault carbine, and others...
And all models are in the possession of Rogue in a storage locker on his starship. And it is in working condition, but still has a few kinks in it.
Strengths: Can shoot through light and some medium armor thanks to the Slug rounds, can have parts swapped out for different missions, is very durable due to the Durasteel plating.
Weaknesses: Can be reflected by lightsaber blade and cannot penetrate lightsaber resistant materials, and can also be disabled by a lightsaber. And also can be short circuited when dunked in water, but can resist rain.

Primary Source: NA

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Rusty

High, my name is Rusty and I'll be you Factory Judge for this submission. It's a nifty idea you've got, but there are a few issues that need to be worked out.

Firstly, if you could hide all but the top photo under a spoiler tag, that would be great. To do that, highlight all the relevant images, go over to the Special BBCode button next to Font, scoll down til you see Spoiler and select it. That way, we don't have to scroll through a few pages worth of pictures to get to the good stuff.

Matthew (Rogue) Drevur said:
Weight: 7.62 Centimeters

Centimeters are not a measure of weight. Please advise.

Ammunition Capacity: bolts= 450 shots, slugs (with drum magazine)= 150 shots

Your ammo count is a little high there. Divide that by three (150 bolts and 50 slugs) and you'll have a more realistic count.

The biggest problem with this weapon as I see it comes from the dual nature. Do you use two barrels, or just one? If just one, how do you make everything work? There's a big difference between a blaster's firing system and a rifle's. How does it fire bullets down the same barrel as the blaster bolt? I'd think the galven circuitry wouldn't get along well with the rifling, and the bullet itself would probably do a number on it.

[member="Matthew (Rogue) Drevur"]

Rusty

Gotta be in metric. Figure about 3 kilograms and you should be good. Still need to address the issue of how it works.

Also, for primary source you can just put N/A.

Matthew(Rogue)Drevur

and here is how it works, there is ONE barrel, but to make the switch between slugs and bolts, there is a hatch, when you load a mag or drum, there is a panel that keeps the Slugs from going into the barrel, when you make the switch to slugs, the panel retracts, and a slug chambers into the barrel, then to switch back, the panel closes, then fires using the Advanced Emitter, which is on a rotational axis, to switch between the slug rifle chemical and bolt emitters. And yes there is rifling, but has worn down over the years, so an new model would get the range stated, but my personal one has about 100 meters for bolt range and 200 for slug range.
[member="Rusty"]

Rusty

Unfortunately, I just can't see any way to make the thing work as described. Blasters and slugthrowers aren't so much apples and oranges as apples and hand grenades. The might kinda look the same, but if you bite into one of them, it's gonna be a bad day.

There are a couple of ways you might could make this work. The first is simply to add a second barrel. Do that and add another kilogram to the weight and you should be good to go.

The second is to do a little research on hybrid weapons that combine blaster and slugthrower technology to fire a projectile encased in energy. Come up with a mechanism based on that, properly thought out, and you can go that route as well.

Once you've decided which way you want to go and have made the appropriate edits, let me know and we'll take it from there.

Matthew(Rogue)Drevur

It uses a special design for the emitters, en which I don't have a picture for unfortunately, I tried looking for one, but there wasn't any. Anyways the axel has both emitters on it, and when you switch from blaster to slugthrower, it rotates to the right emitter. [member="Rusty"]

Rusty

Still doesn't do anything about the two types of barrels being completely incompatible. Slugthrowers are more or less the SW analogue of RL firearms. What you're basically trying to do is cram delicate circuitry in the same space as bullets that are literally going to scrap along the sides of the barrel so tightly, it causes them to deform. That's how rifling works. If you tried to build this thing, I suspect it would work fine the first time on blaster mode, work like a treat the first time on slugthrower mode, and then violently explode when you tried to swap it back to blaster. That's what, in the gunsmithing world, we referr to as a serious problem.

As I said earlier, there are viable options for moving forward, just not exactly as you've envisioned. If you don't want to go with two barrels, look around Wookieepedia and see what you can turn up on hybrid weapons. Once you've figured it out and you've edited the submission to match, tag me and I'll take a look.

Rusty

Strengths: Can shoot through armor thanks to the Slug rounds, can have parts swapped out for different missions, is very durable due to the Durasteel plating.
Specify what sort of armor you can shoot through. Most rifles of this size would not be able to penetrate heavy armor, and medium armor would be a hard sell. If you've got a case for it I'll hear you out, but light armor seems the most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom