Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A World With No More Night

cdx.locations.voss.voss_ka.png

Voss-ka
Voss, Voss System
It had been a good few weeks, maybe creeping into a month, since she left Utapau with his gifts and a promise she would return. She hadn’t. In that time, Aerico had found and extracted a bloody vengeance on the man who mutilated, infected and imprisoned him. The blood on his hands was now clean, and his was free.

So he thought.

While the death of Lazar had been swift and brutal, the disease had stemmed a little, but the pain was still there. The mask could now be removed if so wished, for it was the darkness of the Scourge that held it there; psychologically blocked by the pain Aerico felt. It was now strapped there with one black band, and he was still disfigured, and still a marked man.

Aerico had been to the capital of Voss twice now, both times watching the people, watching the Jedi, and waiting for her.

Valae Kitra.

It was easy to travel with the public, hopping from system to system, bar the odd curious look that didn’t faze him. Homeworld of the fabled Silver Sanctum Jedi where Valae resided. En route to the capital, Aerico had touched Valae with his mind, focusing what he knew of telepathy and calling her name; a ghostly whisper inside her head.

He had done it before, and she never came. It was the third time he had returned, and the third time he would try, for he wouldn’t stop until he saw her again, and discover where she had found herself since leaving his secret catacombs.

As he liked to oversee everything and watch, he quickly made his way up the tallest accessible building he could, crossed a walkway and stood atop a domed roof with a large statue behind him of a scholar. The Jedi Temple could be seen in the distance, a silhouette of a place filled with liars, murderers and conspirators. It was worrying for him to think what they had done to Valae since he had been back.

[member="Valae Kitra"]

In the weeks that had passed since she’d left Utapau, Valae had resumed her life at the Silver Temple. On the surface, there was nothing about her that seemed out of the ordinary, but there were memories that she held within her mind, just out of sight. And her mind had also been haunted at night, dreams of a masked man, a dark cave, and a promise. There were times when she truly wondered if any of it had been real at all. There were concrete reminders of her time spent with Aerico; a candle and a datachip... two items that she had come to treasure. In the evenings after she returned, she had taken time to sit quietly in her room, alone with only her thoughts, and lit the handmade candle to let her mind wander and become still. She had also held the datachip between her fingers as she considered reaching out to him... but she never did.

Many of the padawan’s friends had reached knighthood, and she had watched as they left the temple to do their work for the Sanctum. It had made Valae question her own progress, and she made the decision to dutifully apply her energy towards study and practice. Whenever shreds of doubt began to make their way into her thoughts, she remembered Aerico’s voice, and suddenly she had been able to work with a renewed sense of purpose. However, there had been incidents that made Valae give momentary pause to her studies. Twice she thought that she heard the familiar voice calling to her, whispering gently in her mind, and drawing her away from the temple. On both occasions Valae had ventured outside, her boots brought her to the edge of the temple courtyard and she listened. It had to be a trick of her mind, just imaginary words on the wind... nothing more.

But there was a feeling deep down that she couldn’t shake.

Despite the fact that only a short amount of time had passed since their last meeting, it felt as though much had changed for the young padawan. She had crossed the threshold into new territory, and she found it terribly unfamiliar. So, when she heard the whisper on the wind for a third time... she did not ignore its call. Valae found herself walking towards the capital, her steps seemed quite aimless at first, merely following the hint of a presence. As she ventured further from the temple, the presence grew stronger, and she was drawn endlessly towards it.

It was a beacon in the darkness.

[member="Aerico"]

His gloves flexed on the edge of the copper railing on the roof around the building. He would wait until the sun started to go down as he had before and then take the last transport away from the city to the nearest trade route shuttle.

It was a good half an hour or so, his mask providing a wonderful cover from the humid breeze up high before he saw her. He felt her. Valae was walking, alone, all the way towards the city, over the bridge that connected Voss-ka over a large river and canyon.

He didn’t nod, or smile. Aerico simply pursed his lips in wonder at what had happened and turned to walk down the stairwell down to the ground, hopping over a safety gate to the stairs themselves. As he was the unknown here, there was no need to hide away from others like he was ashamed or scared anymore.

Walking out from the buildings, there was the unsettling feeling of nerves in his stomach as the girl came into view about to cross the bridge. How poetic. She seemed different, he could feel conflict. It was so predictable that the Jedi would erase her freewill and her mind would be twisted and turned to follow their Order.

Aerico walked over the wide stone bridge towards the Jedi.

”I gave you those items to remember what I promised you. You made me a promise too, Valae. You broke that promise.”

The darkness from the now butchered Scourge leader who died at his hands was now very much alive in Aerico – a man desperate to be free, but who could never be free at all. His voice wasn’t hard, but it was commanding.

”Where have you been, Valae?”

[member="Valae Kitra"]

Valae’s chestnut gaze was focused on the ground as she walked along, barely giving a thought as to where she was headed, until she came to a halt before a bridge. And she stood silently, hardly even knowing how she had come to be there. Aerico’s strong presence washed over her, and she felt that he was near, before she could even see him. But soon, her eyes shifted away from the ground to see his imposing form moving across the bridge.

She merely listened as he spoke, and she let his words cut swiftly through her. There was a stab of pain at the mention of her broken promise. Indeed, she had willingly let her vow to him crumble, but she hadn’t let go of the guilt that came after. She should have known better. Slowly she moved forward, finally closing the gap between them, the strange pair reunited again. Aerico’s voice came again, questioning her, and the tone of his voice made her flinch.

How could she answer? The words didn’t come, and her large eyes took in his appearance. She instantly noticed that there was now a black strap holding his mask in place, but now was not the time to question him. Valae could feel the touch of darkness about him, slightly different than it had been the first time they met on Iego. And now there would seem to be a black shroud around her, holding down her feelings, for she was frightened of them.

“I have been here.” Her voice came quietly. “And on Lothal, and Galidraan.”

She knew that it was not the answer he wanted.

“I’m sorry...” Valae’s gaze shifted away.

Two simple words... but would they be enough? For the moment, she couldn’t meet his eyes... she didn’t want to see disappointment in his stare. She truly was sorry, and she hoped that he could feel it.

[member="Aerico"]

The minute she was close enough to hear her voice again, it soothed him and was the antidote to his pain. Closing his eyes and letting her aura surround him as she feebly said sorry, Aerico wasn't mad at her. He was mad at the Jedi and the Light for blinding her, for leading her on a path that would end up her getting hurt - or worse; killed.

”I have been worried about you, Angel” He opened his eyes. ”Worried my light was going out; the light that made the world brighter for me, that created a world with no more night”

Reaching out, he took her hand in his palm, thumb resting atop her delicate digits, and he followed her gaze to the side, looking down to the lower levels of the large canyon the city was built on.

”Come, Away from prying eyes. They will be watching you."

His free arm deftly moved around her shoulder, like a shadow holding her as light as air, and moved her forward with him walking beside her, looking around as he talked for any sign of trouble.

”Tell me what they Jedi have had you doing. Those worlds, you were fighting. I can feel that strength in you, but also...sadness." Now he looked down at her. ”Your emotions have been tested, haven't they. You've become a slave to them."

[member="Valae Kitra"]

Valae realized that she was being swept away by Aerico again, his arm around her shoulder, but she didn’t protest. She only cast a backwards glance towards the city, watching as it soon disappeared behind the horizon. Valae let Aerico’s presence wrap around her like a protective mantle, and she felt her mind growing steadily calmer. Without even realizing it, she found herself sinking further into Aerico’s embrace, moving like a sleepwalker as they continued along.

“I went to find the Muntuur Stones on Lothal.” Valae started, she would begin with the topic that was easiest to speak about. Though she didn’t make mention of it now, she hadn’t ventured to find the stones by herself. She had traveled with a friend, he had been a fellow padawan at the time, but knighted shortly after their return. There had been the slightest chance that the two saw each other as more than simply friends, but any feelings she may have had come with guilt as well.

“I practiced telekinesis, and even managed to lift one of stones... just barely.” There was a note of accomplishment in her voice. But she knew deep down that she wouldn’t have succeeded without Aerico’s encouragement, his words had found her in that dark chamber and she had consumed them like fuel. It had also been the first time that she’d put her emotions to work for her, using them to add power behind her force skills... but it was a strange feeling, and one she wasn’t sure she wanted to revisit.

Valae couldn’t bring herself to move on to the next subject, her time spent on Galidraan had been full of darkness. She had returned from that mission forever changed, and she wondered if Aerico had sensed this about her.

[member="Aerico"]

Keeping the city behind them, Aerico took her right and along the edge of the canyon; it was steeped, so not a direct drop, and a river surged at the bottom. Across the other side was the rest of Voss-ka, and beyond that the plains leading to the temple which seemed to follow them as he took slow, careful steps along into nature.

There was a lot of emotion coming from Valae, and after his counter with Lars, Aerico knew how to silence everything around him and read the other person from their voice; pitch and tone and each quiver. And, of course, their deception that the Force couldn't hide if they weren't strong enough. Valae didn't seem strong enough, or confident, to hide hers.

”Lifting a stone is nothing to what you could do if you removed the shackles that restrict you."

He looked down to her

”You're lying to me. And yourself. If you only knew how much I have thought about you recently. Worried about you.""

He withdrew his arm so she was walking without guidance - their perfect metaphor.

”I told you not to lie to yourself. Please don't hide the truth about what you have done. I can feel the change in you. You're not the same girl who lit up my world weeks ago."

[member="Valae Kitra"]

Despite the fair weather, Valae felt a touch of cold, but Aerico’s arm was around her, and in that moment he had become her shelter. She had tried her best to construct a fortress in her mind, to keep her feelings at bay, and she thought that she had been successful. But she soon knew that her defenses had been breached... there was a feeling deep inside Valae that told her Aerico could see right through her, as if his eyes had pierced her soul.

As Aerico spoke to her, his voice was like a cold breeze brushing against her, and it sent a shiver down her spine. And his words, they echoed in her mind, for she knew that he was right. She had never considered herself to be a dishonest person, she never lied when she could do otherwise, but now she was here... hiding from the truth.

She felt Aerico’s arm all away from her, and Valae walked aimlessly, and she felt a momentary fear of being left to her own devices. The padawan’s steps began to slow, and then she stopped walking altogether. Had she truly become so gloomy that the light no longer shone through?

“I am different now,” She started, “But change isn’t always a bad thing.”

There was a hidden strength within that she had found that dark night on Galidraan, it was a part of herself that she hadn’t known existed at all. They couldn’t have let those foul rakghoul creatures take the outpost, it wouldn’t have been right. She had discovered that there were situations where their enemies would not yield; she would surely have died that night, had she chosen not to fight back.

“I went to battle for the Sanctum on Galidraan.” The words spilled out before she could think. “We fought against these strange creatures... Rakghouls. It was the first time I’d ever done anything like that before. It was the first time... I had killed anything.”

Valae was the gentle sort, scarcely able to even think of harming another being... and despite the fact that she knew they had not been wrong to do so at the outpost, she was still struggling inside.

[member="Aerico"]

When Valae walked forward alone, Aerico slowed and stopped, watching her and letting the girl talk and aimlessly drift at the same time. The breeze across the large city and surrounding outskirt was cool and it was heightened by their surroundings; it was funnelled through the city and felt a little sharper when the sun went behind the heavy cloud.

”Killing is a natural part of life, and it is required to remove those weaker in the chain. I have killed before, on both sides of my life, and every time I have it was for the greater good."

He tucked his hands in his side pockets and rooted his feet to the ground, watching both her and the planet rolling out behind her angelic form. Her hair distracted him now and then, the curls perking up with the breeze.

”How did it make you feel when you took their lives, knowing it was something you had no choice to do with the Jedi pushing you on? You know they’re moulding you into something you’re not, don’t you."

[member="Valae Kitra"]

“For the greater good.” Valae echoed his words softly to herself. There were no doubts in her mind that entering the battle on Galidraan had been for the best, she had been doing her duty as Jedi. However, she’d found little comfort in that fact recently. She let her eyes gaze into the distance, and she focused on the point where the planet split between ground and sky. For a moment she let her mind wander back to the darkness of the woods, she remembered the snowy ground, and she let the events unfold again before her.

“At first I was frightened,” She in a faraway voice, “But I couldn’t let myself be distracted by my feelings, it was too dangerous.”

Valae blew out a deep breath and turned to face Aerico again, and she rolled her shoulders back slightly, standing tall as she recalled the part of herself she had found that night, a place in her heart that she hadn't known existed. “I also felt stronger that night,” She then looked down towards her open palms, at the hands that had cut down those foul rakghouls. “I suppose there was also part of me that felt brave, for the first time ever.”

The padawan fell quiet again, and she pulled her gaze away from the horizon. She took careful steps towards the masked man again, her eyes searching his face for answers.

“If killing is natural...” She began. “Does it get easier?”

Valae was afraid to hear the answer, for she didn’t think that such a thing should ever be easy, not even when faced with creatures like the rakghouls. But now she felt that she had to face the facts, this battle had been the first... but it wouldn’t be her last. She had passed the first test, but what would happen next time?

[member="Aerico"]

Watching her talk, she was certainly more confident than before, albeit not very much and not bery obviously. There was something she was hiding; with each high, she brought herself down with a low. A positive blocked by a negative. This was the Jedi way. To keep people grounded; to break them and make them question everything.

To feel their actions are only justified by the Jedi code.

”It becomes second nature."

Looking down, he unclipped his stiletto blade, the one that had punctured a man’s neck recently right through. He held it out to Valae, handle first.

”Death is just like life – unfair and unforgiving. If you don’t control death, it will control you. You need to take a life in order to protect one. Yours. What would you do if you had to choose between killing a person you don’t know in order to save your life?"

He let the question hang and walked around her.

”Would you let them die so you could live, or would you sacrifice your own life for them? Give up everything you are and everything you want just for a stranger? No. You wouldn’t, and don’t let the Jedi convince you otherwise. You strike down ANYONE who stands in your way. Do you hear me? Anyone"

Aerico stood before her.

”Or I will do it for you."

Looking at her, she helped empower him, as if giving him a purpose; to protect her, and let her flourish.

[member="Valae Kitra"]

Valae’s gaze shifted down as Aerico unclipped his weapon, and she watched as he held it out to her, the sunlight gleaming off the silver of the blade. Her hand rose slowly, fingertips brushed against the hilt, hesitation was present in her touch as she let it fall into her grasp. She brought the stiletto blade up slightly to study it, and she remembered the first time she had seen it. That time on Iego it Aerico had held it to her neck, but only for a moment, and she recalled the feeling of fear that had shot through her.

Aerico’s words were brushing against her again, and her eyes shifted to watch him move as he spoke. Valae remained in thoughtful silence as she considered the answer to his question. Would she end someone else’s life in order to save her own? There was a feeling heaviness inside that told her she wouldn’t be able to, that she couldn’t ever do that to someone she didn’t know. But then, there was a pang of realization, if she truly did need to defend herself against someone that meant her harm... she would have no choice. Perhaps it was easier to think about in that way.

She looked up to see that Aerico was now standing before her, and she let his words sink in. He would cut down her foes? Valae shook her head slightly, but there was a soft smile on her face. She reached out gently, took his hand and held it for a moment before pressing the hilt of the blade back into his palm.

“I could never ask you to do that for me.” She said with a nod, her eyes looked up into his. “I’ll just do my best to avoid getting in harm’s way.”

It was a simple enough task, right? She’d been given the choice to go to battle last time; no one had forced her into taking up her saber. Perhaps there was a way to do her duty to the Jedi, and satisfy her own moral code. She only needed to find it.

“Let’s go sit down.” Valae pointed towards a shady tree, and though she was attempting to draw the subject away from such grim things, she also wanted to simply sit and enjoy Aerico’s company.

[member="Aerico"]

As the blade returned to his palm, and her words defused his intent to look after her, he looked ahead, at nothing, she moved away. Her request to sit was heard, but he didn’t move initially, he just stood there. He gripped the hilt. Was this a rejection of his company? Of him? Of his ability?

Aerico turned, and sheathed the blade by his side. Billowing out his coat, he sat against the tree trunk which was thick and tall, and spawned many branches and thick leaves to offer shelter.

”I’m not convinced by what you say, and I don’t think you are, Valae."

He turned to her and raised her hand to hold between their faces.

”I sense so much doubt in you. So much uncertainty. You’re not being honest to yourself, and that means you are not free. Don’t you want to be free?"

With that, he reached forward and traced his finger down her cheek and jawline slowly.

”I can help set you free. Free from the shackles of those who hold you back. Who are they to hold you back…why do you let them? Why?"

[member="Valae Kitra"]

Valae walked towards the tree, but found herself pausing after a few steps... for she didn’t hear the sounds of anyone following. She wanted to turn around and see if he was going to come along, but then she heard his boots upon the ground and it reassured her. She took in a deep breath as she reached the tree, the touch of shade upon her skin felt nice and refreshing. Valae lowered herself down and let her back rest up against the age-worn tree trunk. She turned slightly as Aerico had a seat next to her, and she felt his shoulder brush up against hers.

There seemed to be a tense silence around them, but it was broken when Aerico spoke to her. She let him take her hand, and her eyes traveled to the space between them, where he grasped her hand in his. And then she felt his hand tracing along gently down the side of her face, she remembered their time spent on Iego, the time she had fallen completely into Aerico’s sway. However, this time there was hesitation...

“They aren’t just Jedi to me,” She started softly, looking into the distance. “They are friends, they are even like my family now... I care about them.”

Valae exhaled slowly, realizing that her thoughts were quite full of confusion. It was difficult to sort through every fleeting feeling, so for now she let them all pass. She let her head lean to the side and rest up against Aerico’s shoulder, and hoped that he would allow her to be close.

“I want to protect those I care about,” She paused thoughtfully, “That includes you.”

She gave his arm a gentle squeeze for emphasis.

“And I don’t want anyone to get hurt because of me...” The thought alone was enough to make her feel sad, especially to think of Aerico’s offer to fight for her. She couldn’t let that happen, the thought alone was enough to weigh heavily upon her heart.

[member="Aerico"]

He didn't move or flinch when she rested her head on his shoulder. It was a surreal arrangement - from nearly stabbing her in the throat after running into a stranger on Iego, to sharing his secret Utapau catacomb and now breaching the probably safety of her planet, with them almost as one sitting under a tree.

But she had certainly changed since the false sentiment on Utapau.

”I don't need protection, not from anyone, and not by you."

Aerico didn't move his head to turn away, he just stared outwards at the Temple in the far distance.

”I can see why the Jedi want you so much in their rank. You're too soft to stand up for your own morals and wishes. You've already been twisted to their mould, and look at you. You're treading on eggshells even with me and every word you say is laced with doubt."

He pursed his lips slightly.

”Who is it. Or, rather, who is he."

He wouldn't spell it out for her. While he didn't totally know the female mind, he knew enough about what drove them. His encounter with the Caprine told him that. There was another involved, and inside her head.

[member="Valae Kitra"]

A quiet moment passed as Valae rested her head against Aerico’s shoulder, but it wouldn’t last. The mood shifted quickly, the momentary peace had drifted away, leaving behind air that was charged with tension. He wouldn’t turn to look at her, and so Valae lifted her head, her gaze joining his in the direction on the Temple. Even from afar, the sight of the Silver Temple was quite lovely. Though, Aerico’s words concerning the Jedi cast a shadow over her view.

He was right when he mentioned that she was too soft to stand up for herself, and she found herself becoming lost in the fog of his words. As much as his presence was comforting, he also made her question everything that she had come to know. She felt like a girl that was left to walk aimlessly in the dark woods, unsure which way to travel next.

Valae’s head turned quickly at Aerico’s last question, there had been someone in her thoughts.

“He is a friend,” She said softly, “That’s all.”

[member="Nikias"] was a friend, and they had enjoyed their time together on Lothal looking for the Muntuur stones. They had shared one embrace, but it had all been very innocent. In fact, she hadn’t seen him since they had returned to Voss. So, she may a bit of a crush, but so far, it was nothing more than that. And then there was the fact that he was a prince, she felt like he was far out of her league, especially considering her humble roots.

“There’s no need to worry, I haven’t seen him for quite some time.”

[member="Aerico"]

Aerico wasn’t a volatile man, so he thought. He tried to keep his emotions rather calm, his outpouring muted. He liked to listen and evaluate and read people through their words and actions. Valae was trying to comfort him, and reassure herself, but she was still unsure of what her place was.

”It’s clear this boy was in your mind even now," he cooed, ”for it took you less than a second to jump to his defense."

His right hand clenched into a fist, and relaxed, and clenched again, and relaxed again.

”The pieces are falling into place. The attention of a boy and the blanket of the Jedi way. What more does a girl need to feel safe and secure and content without wanting to better themselves."

Aerico dipped his head slightly, a glance to her by his side.

”I thought you were stronger than that."

[member="Valae Kitra"]

The last time she had been in Aerico’s presence, she had been built up, her confidence and sense of direction had seen a true increase. However, this time she felt like she was being broken back down, the path laid down before her was crumbling away. She didn’t feel that seeking safety and security in the company of others was the same as weakness. But she couldn’t help but feel that she appeared small and feeble before Aerico.

As his head turned very slightly in her direction, she shifted away just so.

“I’m sorry that I’m not the girl you want me to be.” She said sadly, her voice low and on the verge of breaking. How many times would she say the words ‘I’m sorry’ today? Though his words and his voice were cold, the feeling of having disappointed him felt far worse, a frozen blade into her heart. The dark shroud was threatening to fall upon her again, to hide the remedy to her unsettled feelings.

But there was still light somewhere ahead, it was something that she chose to believe. Perhaps she just needed time to return to her normal self, time to grieve what she happened to grieve.

Her fingers mingled with the soft dirt around the tree trunk, her hand came close to Aerico’s hand, but danced away again before they met. Should she turn and leave now? The thought of Aerico sitting alone under the tree made her stay rooted in place.

“I’m trying to be strong,” She finally spoke again, “Help me, please.”

[member="Aerico"]

Lowering his head, the long stiletto blade visible by his side, Aerico brought his hand up and gently rubbed the back of his neck. He held his hand there for a second, feeling the frustrated warmth. His eyes darted left as he saw Valae’s hand, dirty with the soil hover near him, but then move away. That was a signal if ever there was one.

With her conflicting views, spoken with that painfully intoxicating voice, Aerico felt the talons of the Jedi tighten into him through her.

”I offered to help, but you were too busy lying to yourself to notice."

It was clear her view was now tainted, and this was not how he had expected she would be. Aerico stood, pushing up from the floor and crunching the soil between his fingers as he rose and let the dirt fall.

”I waited for you, ready to help you and I gave you my word I would make you stronger, to see through the veil of the Jedi that blinds you."

Glancing to the Jedi temple in the distance, it loomed there like a beacon that had to be snuffed out. He looked back down on her, feeling the contempt rising in his swelling chest with each heavy breath. He wanted her to be stronger, so much, and to help him find a way forward. Now, she was proving how much the Light was blinding to those who could not see.

”You try my patience," he hissed. ”Make your choice."

[member="Valae Kitra"]

Valae watched as Aerico pushed off the ground, and she watched as the grains of dirt fell from between his fingers. Her eyes found the Silver Temple along the skyline as well, today the light was shining so brightly, but she couldn't dare look away. She was in a delicate place, teetering along on the edge between falling back into familiar shoes, and taking brave steps forward into the unknown. The padawan drew in a slow and steady breath, her gaze still focused on the temple for a moment or two longer before moving to the form of Aerico. She did not feel that he was truly lost to the darkness, but it was easy to tell that he was threatened by the light.

She stood up slowly, her footsteps soft upon the ground as she made her way over to him. How it would hurt her heart to see him look upon her with eyes full of disappointment and anger. However, deep down, she knew what she needed to do; she needed desperately to take her heart back and be free. For now, this would mean taking time for herself and herself alone... Though, perhaps Aerico would take time to remember her, she hoped that he would try.

"Aerico," She started softly, the tips of her fingers reached out for his hand. "I need some time."

Her hand closed around his, a brief touch before she would turn to leave him for a second time.

"I’m going to return to my home," Valae said, a hint of hope in her voice. She hadn't been back to Tatooine since she'd come to Voss. "I will grow stronger, in my own way."

Valae's hand tightened around his for a moment, and then gently pulled away. Would she come to regret this day, the day that she did not do all he asked of her?

"We will meet again." She added, but it was a promise that she would not make this time. For she did not know when or where their paths would cross in the future. But she hoped that this was not the last time.

She stood there quietly, silently frightened that he would never be able to think of her fondly now.

[member="Aerico"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom