Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Walk Among Gods (Templars)

Val'halla - 0930 Hours

The transport settled down on the planet and disembarked its population of passengers. Among them were two Jedi, wearing non-typical outfits, but carrying the blades of said people nonetheless. In the case of Barrien, he carried three. A single blade, a double blade, and a lance. In addition, he wore a small shield attached to the bracer on his left arm. Tucked beneath his arm was a helmet. He very much looked the part of a warrior from a world that wasn't so different from how this one had started.

They were vastly different now, however, as this world was not an ecumenopolis, with a great many levels of city rising from the floor of the world. Such ecological destruction. He'd never found an understanding for why such things were done. It would surely be better to live in peace and harmony with the nature of the world. He glanced at his Padawan.

"Remember why we are here, Ross. There are reports of a hidden slave trade and we're here to find it, or find its trail."

This should be a relatively simple mission for them. Should be. Probably wouldn't be, he knew, but it should be. At least here he felt somewhat at home with the worlds warriors. Nice to be among familiarity.

[member="Roshki Belawiiks"] | [member="Amelia Sorenn"]

Roshki Belawiiks

We all have demons. I've just decided to feed mine
[member="Barrien Siegfried"] [member="Amelia Sorenn"]

I wish I hadn't told him my nickname. I wish I wouldn't have mentioned Double Kay's absence.

I wish I knew where he was.

I knew I was being unfair to Barrien -- he couldn't help the fact that he wanted to further my training. He couldn't help the fact that Kian Karr, my Master, had vanished without a trace. The man was just trying to do me a solid, but I couldn't find the energy to accept what it meant for the Council to assign me a new Master.

No! Not new! Temporary! He's temporary, just until Karr comes back. He's on a secret mission! Radio silence is common on those! The Council should have more faith!

"Like I could forget?" All sarcasm, no good humour. I felt like I was back at Ossus, the very first time I'd met--

No it's not. If it was, Karr would be here. But he's not, so the point is moot.

Poor Barrien. My black mood was reputable for chasing away even the bubbliest of people. There was no way he could survive, Knight or not.

"You might be a Knight now, but you haven't been one long enough to act like my superior." I tugged on my sleeve. Once again I'd reverted back to my traditional long sleeved shirts, not wishing for Barrien to see those pink scars. It wasn't any of his business to know where they came from, anyway. On my belt hung my saberstaff and my training sabre, though the latter I'd tweaked to give it as much power as a real one.

I couldn't wait for this stupid mission to be done and over with so I could get away from him, get away and hang out with my pup.

That was enough to make Barrien frown.

"Look, I'm trying to help Master Karr out in his absence, not take his place. I'm not here to control you, and I'm not here to make you do my bidding. I'm here to help you grow as a Jedi. Is that not something you want?"

He'd paused in their walking to speak to her now. This matter seemed to be bugging her ever since he'd been assigned to complete her training. It had been written on her face and in her actions. He could appreciate the loyalty that she felt to Master Karr. It was not only admirable, but well founded. This was something he would never ask her to give up. But it was something that she needed to put aside so that she could continue to grow instead of just living her life as a Padawan because her Master was gone.

As much as she was a button pusher, she would find it very hard to get under Barrien's skin. He was far too patient and had too much practice in dealing with trivial matters on his homeworld. Nothing that she could try would manage to get through his calm.

"This mission is important and we need to focus on it. The lives of innocent people are at stake."

[member="Roshki Belawiiks"]

Roshki Belawiiks

I harrumphed, choosing to not answer his question. Did I really want to further my training without Karr? He was the only reason I'd even stayed with the Order, instead of accepting that shuttle ticket home. The Kel Dor had been as much a father figure as a friend, and without him I could start to feel myself lose motivation. And it was hard to see myself as a Jedi, Knight or whatever, without Karr there.

It might make him proud to know that I'd completed my trials, that I'd had the ability to go on my own and make something of myself, but...there was that possibility too that he'd think I'd replaced him -- just like what the Council seemed to be doing.

Just like what Barrien seemed to be doing, despite his words otherwise.

Speaking of, the brute stopped suddenly, and I had to immediately switch gears in order to avoid collision. "Look, I know how important it is, and I'm gonna do my damndest to not screw it up -- but it'll be as myself, not as your Padawan." Despite not having the foggiest clue as to where we had to go first on this planet.

Funny, how a simple promotion from Padawan to Knight could cause so much trouble.

Barrien just shook his head. Truthfully, he didn't care if she considered herself his Padawan or not. It wasn't about her being his Padawan. It wasn't about him being assigned to take over for her disappeared Master. It had nothing to do with any of that. They were there because they had to be there. Because if they weren't, no one was going to put a stop to this madness of disappearing people. Who would step in if the Jedi didn't?

He didn't say a word, but turned and started walking again. They would begin to slowly make their way into the lower levels of the planet with the intention being to get down to where people were disappearing from. She would follow, he knew, because despite all her gruffness and refusal to accept that he'd been promoted, she still had a sense of duty and he knew that.

"We're looking for Haldin's Diner. Should be on level 976. The owner there is our contact."

Haldin was a displaced Mon Cal that had settled on the world because he wasn't judged there. He was sympathetic to the Republic and the Jedi by nature, and when he'd had some friends go missing, he'd first thought to contact the Jedi. The task had been assigned to Barrien to investigate, and subsequently Roshki was assigned to it as well, since she'd been reassigned as his Padawan with the fact that Kian was still missing. They wouldn't allow her training to go slack.

They found the diner where it was expected and settled in. The waitress informed them that Haldin wasn't in yet, but would be soon, so he ordered a nice glass of blue milk and some eggs and toast while they waited.

"Why don't you tell me more about yourself? I don't want us to be enemies. That serves no purpose."

Roshki Belawiiks

[member="Barrien Siegfried"]

I grunted in affirmation. I no longer felt like talking, and for the entire time we walked I remained silent. If it were anywhere else, I would have joked about having beaten my personal record of silence, but I wasn't in the mood.

We eventually arrived at the diner, shaking my head when the waitress asked if I wanted anything. My real Master, I wanted to say, but didn't.

My attention focused on the happenings outside of the window, I did nothing but snort softly at Barrien's words. We might not have been enemies, but we weren't anything else. We wouldn't be anything else. We would be nothing, if I had my way.

And I could be one stubborn nerf when I put my mind to it.

That said...he hadn't really done anything to deserve this attitude. Well, except for petition the Council to replace my Master when he heard Karr was gone. Not even ten minutes after being promoted, either!

Alright, so I didn't really know if that was what happened. Truthfully, it could have been that the Council made a decision, and forced me onto Barrien. Like what they did with me and--

No! He's not like him!

"We aren't friends, though. And I'm not telling you a single thing."

"Why are you being like this? I know you miss Master Karr, but why take that out on me? What have I done to offend you?"

These were legitimate questions as far as he was concerned. Though he was upset at her words, and the way she was treating him, he asked the questions because he was trying to understand her in an effort to help her. She was not a wayward child, run off on her own to cause mischief, but she was acting rather petulant for no real reason. He hadn't done anything to her. All he wanted to do was to train her, to help her be better.

His food was brought over and he ate a few bites of it while watching her. She had no interest in any of this. Even helping these people that were disappearing seemed to be of little interest to her. She was so indifferent about it all and he couldn't truly understand why that was.

The food was fine. Not the best, and he ate in silence, waiting to see if she would ever treat him like a fellow Jedi or if she was going to continue acting like he was some nobody off the street. He'd gone through serious training to get to where he was. He'd done things that did not make him happy. Through it all, the greatest thing he'd done was leave a world he wasn't certain he could ever go back to because his own people would shun him for being what he was.

But she didn't want to know about him. She just wanted to hate him. Very un-jedi-like. He sighed and continued eating while they waited for Haldin to show up.

Roshki Belawiiks

His questions were good ones, I'd give him that. But I didn't want to talk to him yet. Instead, pulling my hood over my eyes, I swung my body around so that my back was to the window, my feet were on the seat, and my chin rested on my crossed arms.

But Barrien's words kept repeating in my mind, even after he began to eat his food. So, to quiet them, I silently gave the other Jedi my answers.

Why are you being like this?

Why not? The Council has pretty much signalled that they don't have faith in Double Kay. And did they bother to ask my opinion? No! I mean, it's not like I was his Padawan or anything. I am clearly of no help for my Master.

Why take that out on me?

You're the closest talking person I have to lash out at. It's nothing personal.

What have I done to offend you?

Alright, I lied. It is a little personal -- because it seems like just because we happened to fight bucketheads together that one time, and then you go get a promotion out of it, that gives you the right to try and...and...

I sighed. Even in my head I sounded like a child, unreasonable and illogical.

Tilting my head slightly, I raised two of my fingers and used the Force to pull a piece of toast my way.

"I don't just simply miss Double Kay."

Well, that was something. At least she was going to eat and gave him the start of an answer that didn't involve her telling him he sucked and that she didn't want to talk to him. Progress, albeit minimal. He munched on the piece of toast she'd left for him and glanced outside briefly, watching their surroundings for any trouble. He didn't feel anything out of the ordinary in the immediate vicinity, but who knew. He pondered what she said before he spoke.

"You share a special bond with him."

That was obvious to him. What kind of bond was it, though? He knew the Master-Padawan bond was a great one. He still felt it with Master Raaf even though he was off doing his own missions now. Sometimes he wondered what she was doing, and whether she was staying safe or not. He was certain that if anything bad happened to her he would feel it. She was an important part of who he was now, almost like the way his mother was, even though his mother was dead.

He somewhat suspected that it was more than just that, though. She would tell him if she wanted, but she'd answered his questions already, without actually answering them. He looked up as Haldin entered. He didn't immediately come their way, though he caught Barrien's eye briefly. They couldn't be overly suspicious. The Mon Cal headed for the register, or at least what Barrien thought might be the register? He didn't know for sure, but he suspected the play that the Mon Cal was going with and approved.

"Our contact is here."

Roshki Belawiiks

"Of a sorts."

I nibbled on my piece of toast, uncharacteristically lacking any real form of hunger. Again, I'd spoken the truth. Karr was the only person I'd had a true bond with, a special bond that I never had with my friends on Commenor. I'd even wondered if we had a Force bond; after all, it had seemed so easy to send thoughts back and forth, and that was what a Force bond did, wasn't it? It let the individuals speak beyond the limits of their physical body.

And yet, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't even catch a glimmer of Karr's thoughts. Maybe I'm just not strong enough in the Force. Maybe he has a -- what do you call it -- those lizard thingies? Old thoughts, those were, but they still haunted me every now and then.

This toast is dry.

A Mon Cal walked in, and I sensed a sudden interest coming from Barrien. He was watching the alien as he walked to the cash register. I didn't recognize him, but the Knight did.

It was our contact.

Shoving the rest of the toast into my mouth, I asked, "Now what?"

"I think he's being watched. This may be a quick meeting."

The demeanor with which Haldin carried himself gave this away. Considering both he and Ross were carrying lightsabers, it was safe to say that if he was being watched, it would be conspicuous if he took a long time to talk to them. That was why he approved of what he thought that the Mon Cal was doing. As he watched, a piece of flimsi was withdrawn and the Mon Cal went to work on it frivolously. He did the same with a few others and then went to another table to turn the flimsi over, making his way towards them.

"See anyone paying too much attention? Keep an eye on them if you do."

The Mon Cal slowly made his way to their table and smiled at them.

"I trust your meal was good?" he asked with a pleasant smile.

"Very," Barrien answered. "My compliments to the chef and the owner."

"Ahh, I am the latter." Haldin bowed and Barrien smiled, offering a dip of his head. "Thank you kindly. Here is your ticket. Feel free to leave the credits here, and stop in again."

With that Haldin left them and Barrien grabbed the flimsi quickly. He read it once, and then again, making sure he understood it since galactic standard basic was not his first language. His people spoke a very archaic form of the language, making it sometimes rather difficult for him to understand people, though he'd gotten quite a bit better at it of late. When he was done reading, he passed it to Ross and got out creds to count out.

The gist of the note was simple: he was being watched, but he wasn't sure by whom. The last victim to be taken was a young woman and her husband. She was a known practitioner of Force Healing and was well regarded for her talents, but her husband was just a member of the business class, not worth much as a slave other than for menial labor. It had their address listed on level 777.

Roshki Belawiiks

Another caveman grunt. At this rate, I could audition to be the voice actor for a Gammorrean.

Mostly ignoring the Mon Cal and the Knight, I lifted my hood a little, my black eyes peering out among the other patrons. None of them stood out, though there was one little kid picking his nose. Ew.

I continued to scan, but still didn't pick up on anything. Although....

If I had any hairs on the back of my neck, they would have been standing up right about now. My eyes returned to one of the windows opposite us. For a moment, I'd thought-- No, it was gone. While I accepted the possibility of my brain being frazzled from recent events, I nonetheless remained alert, breaking my vigilance only when Barrien slid the ticket towards me.

My eyes darted over the words quickly before I slid it back. "Good thing you're paying. I left my credits at home."

"Left them in your other pants, did you?"

He made a funny. No really, he thought it was at least somewhat humorous. Or hoped it was. Who knew. Humor in this galaxy had such varying degrees he often didn't even know if what he said made sense, let alone was funny. Either way he paid the tab, and pocketed the piece of flimsi so no one else would come along and see that Haldin had given them a message about the goings on of this world. Best not to let anything bad happen to him.

Standing, he grabbed his helmet and tucked it under his arm once again. Nodding his head, he indicated it was time for them to go, and then headed for the door and stepped out into the somewhat fresh air again. They would have to make their way down.

"See anything out of the ordinary?" he asked casually as he got his bearings.

Turning again, he started walking down the street to the nearest moving sidewalk. They needed to go a ways, yet, before they were likely to find the new ramp downward.

Roshki Belawiiks

"Har dee har har." My voice dripped with all the sarcasm I could muster. By the gods, that was probably the cheesiest joke I'd ever heard someone say -- and I'd made a few myself.

Keeping my hood up, I scooted out of the booth and landed on my feet, wincing slightly at a dull pain in my shoulder. The doctors had told me I'd be completely fine in a couple of weeks -- my hip was completely healed, with just a little scar to play testimony to what had happened on Lothal -- but my shoulder was still healing. That scar was far from being little.

With the memory of Lothal came the memory of Barrien practically dragging me away from the storm troopers. Scowling, I pushed it away. I didn't need reminders of how ​valiant or heroic the stupid man was. It was bad enough Barrien hadn't technically done anything to earn my black ire.

But it didn't matter. I was intent on us not being friends, anyway. And if there was one thing I had plenty of, it was stubbornness.

I followed Barrien as we walked along the sidewalk, my eyes peeled for whoever had brought about that weird feeling. As much as I wanted to dismiss it as paranoia, I knew enough to still give my gut some credence.

My tone as dry and bitter as possible, I answered, "Yeah. You. Other than that, no."

Barrien smirked a little at what she said, though she wouldn't see it as she wasn't in front of him. It was quickly erased as they began their descent. It would take them a bit to get as far down as they needed to be. This gave them some time to talk, though he sensed that she had no desire to do so. He pondered being a pain in her butt and asking a lot of questions of her just to try and get her to open up somehow, but he felt that was too rude and so he didn't.

Instead, he decided to tell her about himself. At least then she would KNOW who she loathed.

"I was born on a world hidden in the Unknown Regions known as Oaken Dawn. My people are few in number, and our history tells us that we are the remnants of a crashed colonization ship. Most did not survive, and the few that did had no knowledge of how to maintain the technology that the rest of the galaxy enjoyed. There was a lot of infighting as various Houses formed, until one of my predecessors set up a council of sorts to deal with issues. Things became more peaceful then.

"There was a great amount of land and it was divided up. My family controlled a lot of good land. I came into being when the former grandmaster of the Rogue Jedi Order found our world and met my mother. He got her pregnant, which disgraced her, but she did not care. When he left, she carried me happily, and took her banishment from the family in stride. I was raised to know that she was outcast for her transgression, but I did not care. I loved her as a son should. My father was not around. I only met him once, and though his heart was in the right place, he had fallen from grace and I was determined not to be like him."

They continued to descend, close to their destination.

"My world is controlled by a group of ancient Imperials, not unlike those we encountered on Lothal. Evil beings. They manipulate my people, and so my people despise users of the Force, and enjoy their totalitarian rule. Very few believe as I do, that we would be better without them. My mother became ill, catching a virus that they brought to our world. She died in my arms. In my grief I hunted down an Imperial and killed him. My greatest failure. I will never be such again. Would rather die myself. But it was because of this that I left. Though I was a Baron and my people need me, I would be of little use to them without peace, and I could not find it there. I secured travel offworld from a group of mercenaries that helps those of us that dislike the Empire. That's how I came to the Jedi. All I wanted was peace."

Finally they arrived at their destination level. Roshki was probably happy for this, he mused, as it meant he shut up about himself. That said, he focused on leading them along, though he had to stop and ask for directions more than once as he was unfamiliar with where he was headed. Eventually they found the place, a modest home within a tall building. The door was secured, but it was easy enough to bypass it with a small application of the Force. As it slid open, he glanced around them before stepping inside.

"Look for anything out of the ordinary, anything that would be missed by the authorities. We need a lead."

Roshki Belawiiks

"I came because I was a drug addict and my parents were ashamed of me, so they sent me to the Order."

Alright, there was more to it than that, but what else was I supposed to say? Without any provocation on my part, he just opened up about himself.

I wanted to resent him, which was why I said what I did. I mean, he was a nobleman, and yeah he left but he didn't go through what I had gone through. Oh, he killed one of the guys who were oppressing his people? Whoop de doo; I killed an innocent man for no real reason. Oh, his mom loved him but died of illness? Both my parents are alive, but they wouldn't stoop to give me the time of day.

And yet, I could sense that what he'd been through was no less hard than what I had. Now that, that was what made me realise why he opened up. He wanted me to connect with him.

Well, I didn't want to connect with him. I already had a good connection with Karr.

We finally arrived at the homestead, and I slipped in, silent as a mouse. "Yeah, yeah. I know the drill." As he went one way, I went the other, my eyes searching.

He wanted to sigh. She still didn't understand this. She didn't understand the bond. Her feelings were his, and his feelings were hers. Perhaps she didn't understand that she'd even initiated such a bond. It was curious, then, that she had. She despised him to the point of hate, which he feared would lead her down a path that neither he or Kian would want for her. Yes, he felt fear too. It was his ability to control his fears that allowed him to remain calm even in desperate times.

Thus, he let her go without a word. She would understand eventually. Unwilling though it had been, the bond was created, and he felt it flowing strongly between them. He used it to keep track of her emotional baseline and well-being. Whether she knew it or not, he understood her well enough to know that she was lonely, and that she partly resented him because she resented her Master for disappearing.

The problems of one trapped in a mental cycle of youth. He did not pity her, but he would wait for her to grow.

As he searched, he gingerly touched things with a gloved hand, deliberately making an effort not to leave any sign of his presence. He found nothing out of the ordinary. In fact, everything seemed to be perfectly placed. He felt that nothing was out of the ordinary here. It was disturbing. If this had been a snatch and grab by a slaver, there should have been far more damage. Even the weakest of people fights back against someone trying to take them.

"No fight took place here. Curious."

He spoke loud enough for her to hear him.

"Do you agree?"

"Ma'am?"
"No. Let them be for now. While they represent what is wrong with the galaxy, we can not draw such attention unto ourselves just yet. I shall deal with this. You continue."
"Of course."
It was a quick and simple exchange between the woman and an armored clad figure, their eyes having fallen upon the two individuals whom had arrived, or rather just now falling upon them. They had been watched the entirety of their time on the world; none whom carried a Lightsaber upon their hip went as unseen as many thought themselves. Even with those whom used their power to conceal themselves from others, it was all a trick of the mind and there were those in the galaxy upon which such tricks were folly.
A soft smirk crossed her lips, her eyes traveling to gaze upon the two as she crouched down slightly, studying those whom were to be an enemy. Now though was not the time to fight, nor draw attention to this world. After all they would be leaving soon, then they would draw such attention. For the moment she did not desire to bring even more Jedi down upon Val'halla until the most opportune of moments.
"Return to your duties. You two follow me."
She motioned as a small squad of individuals nodded their heads before crossing a fist over their chest. Slipping away to return to their mission, leaving the woman with two before she motioned once more. She wanted to meet this individual, to see her potential enemy up close and find out what made them tick. There had been a time when she could have considered them friends, though that passed long ago when she was forced to kill her own sister.
Stepping forward, her boot fell heavy upon the ground as she dropped from the small single story building. Landing below before two loud thuds followed along with her, the other armored individuals marching behind her. The woman stepped forward, a smirk crossing her lips as the inquiry was made as to why the scene was clean and without markings of battle.
"You are correct. No fight took place here because those whom once dwelt her left peacefully under our guardianship."
[member="Roshki Belawiiks"]

Roshki Belawiiks

[member="Amelia Sorenn"] [member="Barrien Siegfried"]

Ahem.... You know how you have those moments where your brain is so stuck on something that, when your gut tries to warn you of danger you don't pay attention until too late? And then the results are...interesting?

Yeah. I guess you could say that's what happened to me.

I had picked up a small figurine, studying it with a detached curiosity when the three people showed up. A second later, it was this figurine that I threw -- with horrible aim, and a rather embarrassing yelp -- at the woman and her muscle men.

Attempting to rectify my, ah, slip up, I challenged the woman. "Oh yeah? Then why have they had no contact with anyone else?" This was a bit of a bluff, of course. I didn't actually know whether or not the Force Healer had talked with anyone, but if people thought she'd been kidnapped...

In any case, as I talked I moved to stand next to Barrien. I might hate the fact that he was my Master, but that didn't mean I was so reviled I wouldn't fight with him. And you thought I wouldn't focus on the mission. Shows how little you know me, Bucket Head.

Barrien, too, had made an error. He'd believed that the persons responsible for the disappearance of this couple were long gone. It was an honest mistake, of course. One that he would be sure not to make again. This disappearance had occurred not recently, so it had been reasonable assume that the culprits were gone. Normally slavers didn't stick around the scene of the crime. These three individuals, however, did. Or appeared to.

I think they've been following us.

His words were meant only for Roshki as he reached out with the Force and stopped the figuring just before it could hit the woman. No sense in starting an incident where one wasn't needed. Though he did sense, with small uncertainty, that these three would gladly fight them despite their lack of the Force.

"Guardianship? That's a curious way to explain the forced removal from one's home. Care to elaborate?"

A lofted brow was offered as he shifted his helm beneath his arm. No, he didn't reach for a weapon. If he needed it, it would come quickly enough. There was no fear present with him at being outnumbered three to two by strangers with an unknown agenda. Barrien was a master of remaining calm in difficult situations. Most of the time. He'd slipped up a bit back on Lothal when Roshki had gone down.

"Forgive me. I am Jedi Knight Barrien Siegfried and this is Jedi Padawan Roshki Belawiiks. We were asked to investigate strange disappearances on this world."

I knew that you would be focused on the mission, Wicks, when it came down to it. You are not a bad Jedi, you're just stubborn and you don't like being abandoned.

Yeah, he'd decided not to call her Ross anymore. If she was going to have a pet name for him, then he would have one for her too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom