Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A trusted Friend

Sword4.png

Outfit | Weapon | Appearance

ValSword.png

Val-Prof_1.png
Outfit | XoXo
Location | Coruscant
Tag | Amani Serys Amani Serys

With a long coat wrapped around her, Valery quietly slipped through Coruscant's neon-lit streets at night. She was looking to make her way over to Amani, one of her closest friends, but hoped to avoid drawing attention to herself in the process. In these upper parts of the city world, that was often more difficult than it seemed. Her fiery eyes and the scar over her left eye made her easily recognizable.

But that wasn't the only thing she worried about — she was starting to feel that she was becoming a burden on others. It wasn't often that Valery needed other people's time just for her own sake, but now here she was, approaching her friend's place late at night because nightmares continued to haunt her, and being alone was something she started to fear. Vera was with Yula for a day or two because of some work trips Valery had to make, so she couldn't find comfort and happiness in her little girl's smile either.

It was embarrassing to her.

Coming up to the door of the apartment, Valery paused and drew in a deep breath. She came up with all kinds of scenarios in her head, but finally set them aside and just knocked on the door, hoping Amani could help her.

ValSword.png

Since hearing the news, Amani had gotten little sleep herself. There’s nothing in the galaxy that can ready you for times like these. No matter how much you might try to steel yourself, tell yourself that you’re prepared, it’s never really enough when it actually comes crashing down. Her heart ached for her friend, and if it was eating up Amani this much, she couldn’t even imagine what Valery had been feeling.

Even now she was still up, sluggishly working through whatever chores she had put off the day before in her ennui. A knock on the door made her blink slowly, and loll her head confusedly towards the entrance. Amani began to open the door with a bit of hesitation, “Hello…?” She said in a meek croak, only to grow wide-eyed as she saw the person behind it. The door flung open fullt to reveal her modest studio apartment.

“Oh my god, Val-” What was there to say? “I-I’ve been trying to reach you since-” Amani cut herself off, and pulled the women into an embrace, her voice already shaking, “I’m so sorry, Val. I’m so so sorry…”

Outfit | XoXo
Location | Coruscant

"Hello…?"

"Hey, it's me-" she paused as Amani flung the door wide open, and already felt herself losing her composure. Luckily, her friend was quick to close the distance and pulled her into a warm embrace. Valery's arms wrapped around Amani, and tears began to roll down her cheeks already.

"I'm so sorry, Val. I'm so so sorry…"

"I don't know what to do..." she cried out and without realizing it, tightened the hug just a little. "I'm sorry for coming so late, but I just couldn't... be alone," she admitted, which almost felt embarrassing to her. She hated being so vulnerable, but if there was one friend she felt comfortable showing that side of her, it would be Amani.

But even with Amani, she couldn't bring herself to ask for more, to ask if she could come in and talk.

ValSword.png

“Don’t-” Amani denied Valery’s apology, shaking her head as the tears started to roll between them both. She had never seen her like this before. It hurt. There are no words that can describe this kind of tragedy. No actions that can rectify it. For all the power vested in her as the Chief Healer of the Jedi, it was a wound she was incapable of healing. Amani felt useless.

There was no need for Valery to ask, as she pulled the Keshian in while still refusing to break the hug, only reaching away to shut the door behind them, leaving the two Jedi with privacy. “You don’t have to be.” Alone. If nothing else, Amani could be there for her friend. Would be there for her. It was already an unfathomable burden to bear. But Valery would never have to bear it alone if Amani had any say in the matter. She squeezed her tighter, and sucked in a deep, hitched breath.

Outfit | XoXo
Location | Coruscant

When Amani pulled her inside the apartment and closed the door, Valery felt a huge sense of relief. It was probably silly that she had worried about it — the two had helped each other before, and she considered Amani one of her closest and most trusted friends. But for some reason, that odd feeling of being a burden on others lingered.

Especially because she understood that it wasn't easy for people to figure out how to approach this or react. How could they know? But all Valery needed was just simple comfort and a feeling that she wasn't alone.

"Thank you," she managed to squeak out after the hug tightened, and they had just been standing there for a little while. Valery wasn't sure how much time passed, nor did it matter. "It's so... hard, especially without Vera." She pulled back and raised a hand up to wipe away some tears.

"I just... don't know what to do."

ValSword.png

“It’s okay,” Amani muttered, holding Val as long as she needed to, all night if that’s what it took. Of course it wasn’t okay. It was unthinkable. But Valery needed support. She had to be that for her. “Please, sit down. Stay as long as you need. Can I- can I get you anything?” There wasn’t exactly much to begin with; It was a cozy little studio apartment where the bed and couch were one in the same. Not that it would stop her from offering whatever she had available, from a cup of tea to the clothes on her back.

“Just… talk to me.” Amani spoke a little slower now, trying to put on a soothing presence for her friend, “Where has Vera been?” Her heart hurt for the littlest Noble. To lose her father at such a young age would be devastating. The thought was enough to force another stream of tears down her cheeks.

Outfit | XoXo
Location | Coruscant

"Please, sit down. Stay as long as you need. Can I- can I get you anything?"

Valery nodded slowly and lowered herself onto the couch, where she sat with trembling hands in her lap. She looked like a mess with her hair wild, make-up a little messy from the constant crying, her eyes reddened and that usual fire dimmed to only embers. Nothing of her usual self showed, and Valery knew this. It's why she felt so embarrassed.

"I uh... some tea, please? Or uh, water?" The warmth of tea would help, but she felt bad about asking for it, and water was much simpler.

"Vera is with Yula right now because I had to travel," Valery said before a look of shame struck her face, "I... I couldn't go there. I can't have Vera see me like this again." Her head dropped and her long hair fell around her face to obscure it, thus hiding the tears that were starting to flow. "I miss him, Amani. So, so much."

ValSword.png

“Tea. Yeah, yeah…” Amani helped her sit down before making a brisk turn to the kitchenette, clanging together a few appliances as she scoured for the kettle. Her hands were almost moving too fast for her brain, adding the water, flicking on the stove, all to make sure it got to Valery as quickly as possible.

Neither woman was really looking their sharpest tonight. Amani had thrown her messy hair into a minimal effort ponytail, and her darkly circled eyes were now puffy and red. But she usually carried a little bit of stress on her face in this job. Valery on the other hand almost seemed like a different person. It shook Amani greatly.

As the water began to heat, she returned to sit beside Valery, trying her absolute hardest to offer a reassuring smile, but seeing and hearing the pain her friend expressed had her lower lip quivering. Travel had taken her elsewhere; That at least explained why Amani hadn’t been able to reach her in any way until now.

“I know,” The mirialan placed a hand on top of Valery’s, her voice getting weak again, like she was fighting for each word, ”I know.” How would she react if Alicio had been taken from her? It was a horrific thing to even consider in passing, and they hadn’t been together nearly as long as Valery and Kahlil. She shook her head of the thought, not wanting it to take up any of her focus. “I think… I think you should let Vera see.” Amani paused for a moment as if evaluating her own suggestion, then nodded, “She’s hurting, too, and she needs her mom. And she needs to know it's okay to express those feelings… So do you, Val.”

“But for now, you can just… stay here. Whatever you need, I’m here for you.”

Outfit | XoXo
Location | Coruscant

Valery sat with her hands on her lap while Amani moved over to the kitchen to prepare some tea. They were trembling, and she was barely able to control her erratic breathing. It all reminded her of the time when her first Padawan died, but this was even worse than that. She lost an integral part of her life and feared she'd never feel that kind of love again. It was so painful that it was hard to believe it wasn't just a nightmare.

When Amani returned only a minute or two later, Valery looked up and watched her sit down. The Mirialan's hand settled on her own, which helped them stop trembling as much, but it was clear Valery was still fighting back a lot of her emotions and pain. She didn't want any of her friends to see her like this, so vulnerable, but this time even her strength faltered.

"She's hurting, too, and she needs her mom. And she needs to know it's okay to express those feelings… So do you, Val."

These words seemed to hit her hard, and finally, she began to actually sob. There was no holding back the crying anymore, and she just let it all out. "I know..." she cried. "I just..." She wasn't sure what to say or even to really express how she felt. What words could possibly describe her pain?

"I'm scared, Amani," she admitted after a few more seconds of crying, but she began to compose herself a little again. "I'm scared I'll never be happy again, that I'll fail Vera too."

ValSword.png

Amani saw the dam about to break, and wrapped her arm around her friend, pulling her into a side hug. Letting herself be a shoulder to cry on. More tears welled up, and spilled out. It was hard enough to find the words as is. What was there to say? A million different questions were swimming through her mind; All uncertain, unanswerable.

She took a deep breath, trying to put together some kind of response, “It does feel scary. But-” A sigh. The intent was there, but it was a struggle to express it in the right way, “It hurts. I know it hurts. But you will find happiness again. You won’t fail Vera. It might not feel like it now, but you’ll be able to see it one day.”

The tea kettle began to whistle, rudely interrupting her assurances. Silently, she was grateful, though, as it gave her more time to think. Very slowly, Amani released her hold on Valery, and stood up to finish the preparation. Eventually she came back with a full cup, extending it to her friend, “Careful, it’s hot.”

She sat back down and watched in silence for a few moments, building up the strength to continue speaking, “Grief… is different for everybody. There’s no rulebook to follow. No timetable. But as long as you acknowledge your emotions, find support in the people you care about, and who care about you…” Amani smiled sadly, “You will get through this. It won’t be tomorrow. You won’t… forget about it. Nor should you. All of that? Your past? Kahlil? All a part of you now. But you will get through this.”

The mirialan shrugged weakly, “I can’t just wish it away with words. But I will do whatever I can to help.” Even as her voice warbled with emotion, there was conviction in that truth.

Outfit | XoXo
Location | Coruscant

Few people had ever seen Valery cry, but Amani now had twice and was one of the few to who she felt comfortable opening up this way. She just leaned against her friend, cried, and let it all out — the emotions, the underlying fear, and everything that made her so vulnerable. "I really hope so..." she said before she sniffed and tried to control her breathing. "I don't want to live my life alone, and I want Vera to have the best life possible."

It was clear that the latter was the most important to her, and without a father figure, it was just so much more difficult.

Amani then got up to bring Valery a cup of tea, which she took into both hands to enjoy its warmth. She then quietly listened to her friend and recognized many of the same lessons she had told others who experienced loss. It was strange how being in this position made it much harder to focus on them. "You're right," she said softly, now with a gentle smile finding her lips. "I'll never forget the time with him, and it'll be hard... but I will get through it." She needed to say it out loud herself, so she'd really believe it herself.

"I can't just wish it away with words. But I will do whatever I can to help."

Valery smiled uncontrollably and set aside her tea, before leaning over to pull the Mirialan into another hug. But this one wasn't sad — this one was of appreciation. "You're the best, really. Thank you so much." She tightened the hug and pulled away briefly to look her friend in the eyes.

"Just... don't push yourself too much, okay?"

ValSword.png

Amani sat still as Valery let it all out. The mirialan was glad she could get her friend to use this chance. She needed an outlet. Bottling it up would only make it worse. “You won’t. And she will,” She affirmed again, as if it were fact. Set in stone.

Valery affirmed herself as well, earning a firm nod from Amani. It was a good first step. A path to begin healing. She even found it in her to smile softly, even try and lighten the mood, if just a little, “I’m always right, Val,” She joked with a quiet chuckle.

Amani leaned into the next hug fully, letting the warmth of friendship spread between them. In some ways, she needed it herself. A sign that things were going to be okay. That she had done something right, “Of course. Anything. You’re my friend.” Valery had been there in some of Amani’s toughest moments as she struggled to return to the galaxy. And the two had been through much more since. It was the least she could do to be here for her now.

“We’ll see about that,”
She joked again, at her own expense. But nodded a bit more sincerely, not wanting to risk any chance of Valery worrying, “I’ll do my best. Just take care of yourself. And Vera.”

Outfit | XoXo
Location | Coruscant

"I'm always right, Val,"

Valery couldn't suppress a snort at the comment and rolled her eyes for Amani to see. The reassurances, the jokes, and the comfort she offered as a friend all helped her feel better already. She knew there were still difficult times ahead, but knowing that she wasn't alone helped ease the pain and weight she felt on her shoulders.

"You're the best," Valery added before she gave Amani a final squeeze and pulled back from the embrace. A smile lingered on Valery's lips, but it did briefly shift into a death glare at Amani's comment.

"We'll see about that,"

"And you call me stubborn?" She shook her head with a smirk, but then grew more serious when Amani did as well. "I will. I'm going home tonight to spend some time with her, and I might bring her on a little fun day out as well. After that, I'm meeting with an old friend again, so that should help distract me too." There was quite a warm smile at the thought of visiting Aldric after all these years.

"I'll uh, give you a call after? Maybe we can grab some lunch and just talk again."

ValSword.png

"You're the best,"

"You are," Amani shot back softly, squeezing her in return. It was the truth. Valery was an inspiration to her. A symbolic leader. A fierce warrior. A compassionate soul. And her best friend. If anyone could get through this, it was Valery Noble.

"And you call me stubborn?"

She shrugged, finding that moment of levity again, "It's one of my most endearing traits." And one of the most enduring. They had that in common. But Valery's assurance that she and Vera would spend some time together made her grin broadly. The mention of some unnamed old friend made her brow tick up curiously, but she let it be for their next chat.

"You know I'd love to." Amani assured, eager for another chance to have a day out. One where they could just be normal people for a while. She stood up, "Finish that tea, I'm calling a ride to make sure you get home okay," Almost reactively, she snapped her fingers and pointed at Valery, very much expecting her to try and protest, but Amani would hear none of it.

In short order, she would call and arrange for a ride service to stop just outside, keeping her friend from making the trek back home on foot.

Outfit | XoXo
Location | Coruscant

From being able to openly express herself to joking around and talking the situation through — all of it helped Valery feel a lot better, and while it was difficult to appreciate the friend who had saved her life even more, somehow she felt the bond was still growing deeper. There was no doubt that Amani was her closest friend, and knowing that she always had someone like her to count on made all the difference in the Galaxy.

No matter how strong she was, this is the support she needed to maintain it all, and their friendship brought her an immense amount of joy at the same time.

"Finish that tea, I'm calling a ride to make sure you get home okay,"

Valery's lips were about halfway to parting, when Amani snapped her fingers and predicted her protest. She blinked, closed her lips, and smiled innocently as if she never planned to say a thing. "Alright, I'll do that. Thanks again, Amani." She looked at her friend just a second longer and finished up her tea to end what had been a tough night, but one that also helped her find a way forward again.

ValSword.png

Amani hummed knowingly, “Damn right you will.” She was taking charge, making the executive decisions for the sake of her friend. Val could be stubborn, so naturally the only recourse was to be more stubborn.

Thankfully, it didn’t take much this time.

She finished the pickup request, paid for it, and returned to the Keshian’s side as they waited. Once the ride came, Amani pulled her into one last parting hug, “Night, Val. Give Vera all my love.”

“Call me when you get home.”

“And whenever you wanna have that lunch.”

The series of goodbyes came a few seconds after another, but finally she let go with a chuckle, knowing she’d have to sooner or later. And once the door closed, Amani fell back onto her couch and deflated, letting a few more tears of her own flow. The extra that built up, that she held back to be a bit stronger for her friend. But there was a sense of optimism buried beneath it all. Things would be okay for the Nobles.

They just needed a bit of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom