Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech A-TICKS

Status
Not open for further replies.
throwing_knife_concept_by_peterku-daj2w87.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: [member="Lyra Sarn"] (Bio)
  • Affiliation: [member="Lyra Sarn"]
  • Model: A-TICKS (Advanced Thermal Information Compromising Knife System)
  • Modularity: N/A
  • Production: Unique
  • Material: Heat Resistant Phrik Alloy.
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Throwing Knife/Data Jack
  • Size: Small
  • Weight: Light
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Cutting Power - Much like the base TICKS this weapon has an insane degree of cutting power, in fact it can cut even better than the base TICKS.
  • Throwing - This version is weighted specifically to aid in knife throwing.
  • Catch and Release - A repulsor in the base is specifically tuned to a repulsor generator implanted in Lyra's hands, allowing her to propel them at high speeds, and retrieve them from well over 100 meters.
  • Data Jack - Much like its older, more tame brother, this tool can be used to jack into computer systems.
Strengths:
  • Chop Chop - This knife has cutting power comparable to lightsabers.
  • Phrik - This thing is strong as your grandpas liquor.
  • Zoom Zoom - The knife has a repulsor in the base which allows it to be propelled at high speeds, and retrieved from a target from a distance.
  • Jacking - This thing can still be used to gain physical access to computer systems by driving it into a PCB.
Weaknesses:
  • ZAP - Still very loud when activated, not a stealth weapon.
  • EMP - An EMP can render this basically a big heavy throwing knife.
  • BZZZZZ - The thing vibrates much more than its older brother.
DESCRIPTION

The A-TICKS stems from a personal project Lyra undertook to fix her perceived issues with the consumer model TICKS; Namely that the normal TICKS was not very good at killing things. The normal TICKS is a tool that can be used as a weapon in a pinch, Lyra wanted a weapon that can be used as a tool when necessary. The A-TICKS is the outcome. With a phrik construction and an amped up battery, this device can cut through just about anything without much of an issue, and it has over 30x the battery life of the old TICKS, giving it a significant advantage in a fight. The Repulsor in the base gives the knife much more range and much easier retrieval from a distance, and a carefully weighted design aids in it being thrown normally as well.

This is all packaged with the same utility as before. Lyra made sure to keep the designs highly private as she intends to use it as an edge to keep ahead of the competition, the only person in the galaxy who knows how to manufacture the A-TICKS is her, and she intends to keep it that way, keeping up to 30 A-TICKS on her at a time.

[member="Lyra Sarn"]
How, exactly, does a metal blade reach a temperature that it can melt the material it is made out of (phrik, for example), but does not melt itself?

[member="Lily Kuhn"] It uses alloying with more heat resistant materials, particularly ones used in spacecraft hulls (Particularly quadranium steel which can apparently take an entire executor star destroyer plowing into it), Think of it as a phrik alloy with more heat resistant qualities. This is on top of the strong current helping to hold the metal together.

Edit: Long story short I would be able to give up lightsaber resistance as that wasn't the point in the first place.

Lyra Sarn said:
particularly ones used in spacecraft hulls (Particularly quadranium steel which can apparently take an entire executor star destroyer plowing into it),
Phrik is more durable than quadranium, and the durability of the second death star isn't a feat you can attribute to the material used in its construction.

Lyra Sarn said:
Think of it as a phrik alloy with more heat resistant qualities
You're still heating it up to a temperature that would melt the phrik used in the construction of the blade, though. That'd destroy the integrity of the metal.

Lyra Sarn said:
This is on top of the strong current helping to hold the metal together.
It's an induction burner, there's no electromagnetic current holding this together, and even if there were it'd only cause it to lose its magnetic qualities after a certain point once it reached a high enough temperature.

Either way, there is no possible way for a solid object to heat up to a high enough temperature to melt metals such as beskar and phrik before losing their structural integrity and breaking down. Lightsabers operate on heat, if this were to reach a high enough temperature to melt beskar or phrik that'd mean it'd be hotter than the common lightsaber, which means you'd be at a point where the entire knife you're using would be a pool of molten metal.

[member="Lily Kuhn"]
Im willing to write that feature out but just let me press my case here, if you don't agree after im done here then ill make the edits no questions asked, I really don't want to fight this too much. (this is gonna be a long one so sit down for a bit.)

First off, I think that in regards to lightsaber resistance as a form of thermal resistance is a red herring, in fact, I think that assuming lightsaber resistance is due to thermal resistance is silly, because it is never mentioned and as far as realism is concerned it doesn't make any sense, plasma arc torches in the real world can reach temperatures hotter than the surface of the sun(5k degrees Celsius for the sun vs 28k for a plasma arc cutter), and if Phrik could survive being thrown into the sun I would be incredibly surprised

Basically a lightsaber creates a sort of magnetic containment field around the plasma that it uses to create the "blade" when this blade comes into contact with an object the field parts around it allowing the plasma to flow out and therefore creates an intense heat that allows it to cut through the material. This is why two lightsabers can bounce off of each other, it is due to these magnetic containment fields "colliding" and repelling off of each other, much like two magnets. (Another important thing to remember here is that all plasma is immensly magnetic, due to the fact that it is atoms which have had their electrons stripped. That is how the containment field works in the first place.)

If you watch something like say, the magnaguard fight in episode 3, you can see that the phrik electro-staffs bounce off the lightsabers much like another lightsaber would. Im willing to reckon here due to limited information on the actual mechanics of lightsaber resistance and even less information on phrik itself (some of it seeming ridiculous or unrealistic), that the reason lightsaber resistant materials are lightsaber resistant is not due to heat resistance, but due to some weird magnetic effect that interferes with the containment field.

There are numerous reasons why I think this, one, is that if it was just heat resistance, then if you tried to "cut" phrik with a lightsaber, the containment field would part, and basically you would be using the lightsaber as a blowtorch, the blade would try to cut through the material but it just would not have any of it. The important thing here is that a lightsaber is not a physical blade, it is a big ball of superheated gas, so you could swing and cut all you want through the phrik but nothing would happen, it would be as if the phrik did not exist. However this is not what happens, it has a very clear "bouncing" effect, as if it were a physical object hitting against a physical blade.

This sort of thinking also makes sense in the case of mandalorian iron. It is specifically stated that mandalorian iron is just especially dense normal iron, but that doesn't make any sense in regards to its thermal properties. Denser materials are much better thermal conductors and an especially dense form of Iron would not be any more heat resistant than any other form of Iron. The only way I can come up with that Mandalorian iron would have hte properties it does (This includes the "bouncing" phenomenon from earlier) is some sort of magnetic interferance with a lightsabers magnetic containment field, not any particular heat resistant properties.

Canon is also not clear on what exactly makes phrik strong, it says it is durable but there are a lot of ways to be durable besides tensile strength, and this is not to mention that heat and tensile strength are two different things. As for the reports of phrik being able to survive the death star's destruction of alderaan, it is not clear if that is due to tensile or thermal strength, as the death star didn't fry Alderraan it blew it into a bunch of small pieces, so its not clear how exactly phrik is strong, for all we know it just survived the shockwave of getting blown up. Going off of this I think it is perfectly reasonable that a Phrik alloy with a star wars equivalent of a heat resistant material like tungsten (tungsten is canon but there are probably better materials) would be capable of heating to enough of a degree to cut through pure phrik.

Another thing if phrik was really this heat resistant it would be literally impossible to work with it in the first place, there has to be some sort of way to melt and contain the material if you want to use it in a weapon, armor, or crate in the first place, so there is clearly SOME sort of material more heat resistant than phrik.

Lyra Sarn said:
First off, I think that in regards to lightsaber resistance thermal resistance is a red herring, in fact, I think that assuming lightsaber resistance is due to thermal resistance is silly, because it is never mentioned and as far as realism is concerned it doesn't make any sense, plasma arc torches in the real world can reach temperatures hotter than the surface of the sun(5k degrees Celsius for the sun vs 28k for a plasma arc cutter), and if Phrik could survive that I would be incredibly surprised
Canon separates lightsaber resistance with very specific wording regarding how it's achieved. Materials such as ultrachrome are resistant due to being superconductive (which would be what you're inferring here), Phrik and Beskar are resistant because they are extremely durable materials.

Trying to insert real life science into a fictional universe where we have the force that allows Sith Lords to destroy stars, ships that can fly through supernovas, and lightsabers that both melt objects and do not incinerate the people holding them is a bad idea. You're not going to get anywhere arguing real life physics, mostly because almost all of Star Wars breaks away with them in some way or another. Phrik is resistant to the blade of a lightsaber, which expounds its energy on anything that comes into contact with its containment field. Regarding the destruction of Alderaan, if we were to go with your theory by using real life physics, the mere heat index produced by an exploding planet would be so high that it would easily reach the temperatures you're attributing to the lightsaber.

Lyra Sarn said:
Going off of this I think it is perfectly reasonable that a Phrik alloy with a star wars equivalent of tungsten (tungsten is canon but there are probably better materials) would be capable of heating to enough of a degree to cut through pure phrik.
Phrik itself is an alloy designed to resist the sort of damage you're inferring this would be able to do, so by reaching temperatures which melt this alloy you'd be melting your blade.

You can request a second chance if you disagree with this, but that's my judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom