Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Talk With The Other Side

Mid Rim - Spice Line
[member="Delilah Keyes"]

Ein stood quietly on a small landing platform besides a building that looked about as run down as one could get.

The Mid-Rim wasn't generally known for it's extravagance, but in all honesty he expected a little bit better than a half ruined office building. There was probably a reason for it of course, mainly the fact that the people who owned said office building likely never gave much of a bantha poodoo of how it looked to anyone. That was natural in this area of space, in a sector controlled by Hutt's, Pirates, and other Crime Lord's it was common enough that nobody actually took care of anything unless they absolutely had to.

Ein understood that, but he held a certain amount of disdain for it.

He had grown up under a certain set of circumstances back on Empress Teta. On his home world image meant everything. There was no lack of criminals there of course, but they made sure that everything was pristine at all times. Everyone knew who the local mobster was, but no one could really point out his building because it looked exactly the same as the next rich mans mansion. That was how things were in the Core.

Clean, quick pristine.

Out here though? No such luck. "Come on."

Ein motioned towards the Saeva guards behind him, the two men holding their weapons in front of them as they slowly headed towards the run down building. The meeting he was conducting here today was an important one, and also not entirely on the level.

Business in this area of space wasn't always clean, and Vanir was taking a considerable amount of risk just sending him here. Dealing with criminals was never easy, particularly when you weren't exactly sure whether or not they would keep their end of the bargain.

Three hours before....

"You do realize that they won't take a word of these negotiations seriously if the room looks like this, yes?"

The mongrel scratched his head, looking in confusion around the office. His boss had put him at the woman's disposal for the duration of the talks, but he really had no idea what she was talking about.

"Wot's wrong wif it? Looks jest fine ta me."

"Start by removing the couch with mold growing on it," she said flatly.

He gaped at her like she had three heads.

"If dat's wot you want," he muttered, tone dubious but shrugging and moving to comply. "Mold jest 'appens, but woteva you sez.'

Delilah sighed inwardly.

Already, things were not going as planned, and their point of contact hadn't even arrived.

Dealing with businessmen was never easy, particularly when you weren't exactly sure whether or not they would keep their end of the bargain.

At least the office they were meeting in was clean now. Curtains replaced, wood floor mopped ('You want me ta wot?').

She'd had a table and chairs brought in place of the sagging desk. A teapot, surprisingly delicate considering the rest of the surroundings, settled to one side. The room, the preparation, the woman, were all entirely out of place compared to the exterior view that had greeted [member="Einhardt Al'Kuhn"] .

While perhaps the underlings here didn't really *get* her instructions, they complied, motivated more by orders from their own boss than by orders from her- but Delilah didn't particularly care. They weren't paying her for her pride, after all, but for her ability to put someone at ease. To talk to people without threatening them or disgusting them. It wasn't her usual choice of work, but the credits were right, and when her last plan fell through it had left things tight and in flux until she could recover.

Which meant greeting core world businessmen on behalf of certain criminal elements. It meant smiling and doing her best to gently gain on their behalf just what they hoped, and give up nothing that mattered. She knew the limits, what they could and could not afford to lose, but they hoped that she would have a better time gaining them every possible crumb that could be had.

She was standing when they arrived, smiling softly, playing her role without hesitation or irritation. It was, after all, just a job.

"Welcome," she murmured, inclining her head and gesturing them inside. "I apologize for the state of our meeting place. My employers are so jealous of their actual haunts, after all."

The implication was that of course there were better places, but sadly they simply wouldn't share. There was little she could do to bolster a reputation built on this being the only suitable meeting place they could actually pin down.

[member="Delilah Keyes"]

Surprise caught him when they stepped into the small room.

It seemed that someone had worked extremely hard to at least make the interior of the building somewhat presentable, an effort that showed quite well. He wondered briefly if this was the doing of the woman standing in front of him or if the Spicer runners who controlled this world actually cared, they just didn't want to look like they cared.

Either option was possible.

"That's quite alright." Ein stated with a small hint of amusement in his tone. If the insinuation of not being 'Worthy' of a nicer meeting location hurt him, he didn't show it. Best to just carry on with the meeting and do what he came here to do. "I've had meetings in worse places."

There had been a cave in the outer rim once, though that didn't really count. "I'm Einhardt Al'Kuhn."

He smiled and held out his hand.

"A pleasure to meet you Miss...?" He assumed she was an intermediary, since that was what had been arranged.

"Kala," she supplied without a hitch, reaching out herself to return the handshake.

Just a first name. Not unexpected, considering. She was an intermediary between the above board business interests and the spice smugglers, after all. Who she was, in truth, was fairly immaterial. Her job here today could have been as easily brokered through a protocol droid, if that had been what both sides had agreed to.

Honestly, it made the entire situation remarkably dull. Offering a name other than her own was just one way to keep from letting her mind wallow in the morass of just how mundane and uninteresting such deals truly were as far as Delilah was concerned. But, she needed the credits after her last throw of the dice had come up so poorly.

"Please, sit," she said as she drew her hand back, gesturing at the table. "I trust you had a pleasant journey, Mister Al'kuhn?"

Delilah did not sit when they did, instead pouring tea as if that were the only natural progression of things. Small core niceties, so out of place. But that too was by a certain design.

[member="Einhardt Al'Kuhn"]

[member="Delilah Keyes"]

"Just Ein, will be fine." He said as he slowly slipped into the chair that had been pointed out to him. "I know High Tetan can be somewhat obnoxious on the tongue."

To those inexperienced anyway.

He had no idea what this womans background was, nor who she really represented. That was the trouble of dealing with criminals. Everything was cloaked in a dozen layers. They had only been able to arrive at this point after Vanir had made it clear that instead of open war they would be willing to simply buy their way into the sector. Easy money was always an excellent proposition for criminals, and it also helped that Vanir's Military arm had a reputation for...unpleasantness.

Why fight a private military when you could just take a big pay out? "The trip was fine. Vanir makes quality ships."

He couldn't help but speak highly of the company even here.

"I hope you aren't staying here." He mused out loud to her. "I can't imagine someone like you in a place like this."

"I have no trouble with High Tetan," she murmured in response. "But if you prefer Ein, then that is what I shall call you."

He was a walking commercial.

Not merely for his company, but for everything Coreward. Name, hair, clothes, even his accent. Fortunately, Delilah wasn't buying, so it didn't particularly matter beyond a tiny tick on a mental leger.

Her smile was neutral, encompassing everything and nothing- pleasant but not particularly meaningful as she poured the tea. His last comment however brought a crinkle to the corner of those dark eyes, and she looked up at him over the teapot before handing him his cup and saucer.

"Oh no, I will only remain here until our meeting has come to... mutual satisfaction," she said with amusement. "Though, if you would indulge me, just where *does* someone like me belong?"

She didn't sit until she had poured her own cup, the tea warm and faintly spiced.... not that way.... but with the warmth of cinnamon and cloves.

[member="Delilah Keyes"]

He leaned to the side for a moment, letting his elbow rest on the arm of the chair and slowly sinking his face into his hand as a prop.

For a moment the Financial Officer didn't say anything, instead his gaze drifted up and down Delilah. He didn't leer of course, his eyes weren't wandering or fixating on anything untoward, but instead he was studying her, almost as if he were trying to place where somewhere. After a few seconds he smiled slightly.

"I would think." He began. "Somewhere cultured."

Ein thought for a moment, considering a few worlds in his head before quickly cycling through them. "Naboo?"

He shook his head.

"No too plain." A tsk rolled off his tongue. "Onderon? A bit savage."

He scratched his beard. "Ah, The Royal Courts of Danteel would suit you I think."

Oh he was sincere. It was almost endearing. Almost. A small but pleased smile flickered over her lips, and she inclined her head slightly.

She'd worked hard to adjust her natural accent, her patterns of speech, even the way she walked, ​to keep the immediate response to the culture she had been born into to a minimum. In a way, he was flattering her. Just not the way he thought he was. So it took no effort to conjure up that appreciative smile.

"You are too kind. I've never been to Danteel," she said honestly.

"But on that recommendation alone I will have to plan a visit."

Oh, she was never going anywhere near Danteel.

Del breathed in the steam from the tea, letting it flow through her, the warmth and the spice a spur to the persona she wore today like a second skin.

"Is there anything you require before we start?" She asked, tilting her head slightly. As if his comfort and needs were just as important as brokering a deal for her employers. In truth, they were. A comfortable man was more inclined to be generous.

[member="Delilah Keyes"]

He shook his head. "No."

Ein was known for flattery in general, it was how one spoke back on Empress Teta. The nobles were always so far up one anothers rear ends that not mentioning something kindly was a way to insult someone else. That was how society worked back on his homeworld, though he doubted Kala, if that was her real name knew that.

"I prefer we get this over with." He stated simply. "My Corporation is eager to begin."

They were here to make a deal after all, not complement one another.

Ein felt confident enough that he would be able to broker something that Vanir would be happy with, though this woman had a certain...serpent like quality to her that made him feel somewhat iffy on the idea of this being too easy. There was something very false about her, not as though she were lying, but that she was simply trying to get her way before she snatched up everything on the table anyway. He watched her for a moment more, then leaned forward in the chair.

His voice remained neutral as he began. "My company is willing to offer your employers a one time flat fee to evacuate the planet fully."

She offered a small nod in acknowledgement, and that was all that was necessary to switch gears and focus on the actual task between them.

Del offered him an apologetic smile at his opening offer. In truth, her employers might accept a single payment buy out, but it would have to be very generous indeed. There had been no small amount of arguement about that very subject. Criminals, especially glit runners, weren't particularly known for their patience. Credits in the hand was worth twice that much in some nebulous future. After all, you could be dead in a ditch or on the wrong end of a Hutt tomorrow. But ultimately, the man who had hired her directly prevailed.

"You must understand that my employers will be giving up a life time of income from this planet in that case," she said gently, spreading her hands out in front of her.

This was how it went. He offered low. And she? She countered far too high.

"They would consider a fifty percent cut of all port related profits sufficient to make up for that loss of earnings, as well as their long investments into this sector."

It wasn't just high, it was down right cheeky. And they both knew it.

[member="Delilah Keyes"]

He let out a chuckle.

Ein knew exactly what game she was playing of course, they had to play it or else neither of them would be doing their due diligence. Of course what Miss Keyes didn't realize was that she was playing at a disadvantage. Perhaps it would come to light later, but the smugglers who ran this world would already know.

"We both know that will never work." He stated flatly.

Clearly he wasn't all that impressed with the idea of paying any future profits.

"Your clients are criminals." Ein pointed out. "Vanir is a legitimate business. Any sum paid of legitimate profits at a later date would reflect poorly.

Not to mention the fact that such things would likely end up in more than a little greed. Eventually the criminals would assume their payouts weren't big enough, and then conflict would arise. No, business would be settled here and now.

Today. "I thought we were here to have a serious discussion."

The words came with a smile, but there was a blade behind them.

His response wasn't surprising in the least. It *was* a ludicous bid, but the point wasn't the gain it. It was to make it clear that, by letting it go, she could be reasonable, that concessions would be made.

"I am well aware. But may I remind you that we are both looking for the best we can for the.... interested parties.... we both represent. And when my employer requires I start at a certain place, well...."

She spread her hands out before her in a helpless sort of gesture. One that said 'it simply couldn't be helped' and 'I know just how unreasonable it is, we both see that, why can't they?'

If Vanir decided to march in, there *was* no potential for long term gain in this sector.

"I am bound by their interests as surely as you are bound by Vanir's."

[member="Delilah Keyes"]

"I don't think thats exactly true." Ein stated flatly.

She was just a representative after all. Presumably she had no real personal stake within the spice smugglers of this system. He doubted that she knew any of them, and he doubted even more that she was somehow involved. Perhaps a taste, but any more than that? Unlikely.

They would want someone with a bit of discretion, someone that could walk away. "You're being paid."

Ein wasn't, not really anyway. Sure Vanir compensated him, but that was hardly why he worked for them. He could have accepted a position at a dozen different firms, some of them with better compensation that Vanir. No, he worked for this company because his Cousin had founded it, and because it offered him the best opportunity to get what he wanted. Though that would take more time.

A smile pulled on his lips.

"How are they paying you?" He would try a different tactic. "A flat rate? Or percentage?"

Her smile widened slightly.

"I am," she confirmed without hesitation or shame.

No reason to be coy about that. It would be an insult to both of them to try and imply otherwise. And Del was perfectly content to not be lumped in with her employers in this case. He was right, after all. While he truly represented the interests of Vanir, she was merely being paid to do so. Her loyalty only went as far as her paycheck, and she made no attempt to pretend otherwise.

"That is entirely none of your business," she said with a smile, though her tone made it clear that she was neither insulted by the question or defensive about it.

"Unless you intend to make a counter offer, but since you seem disinclined to make one on the deal we are currently engaged in....."

She trailed off deliberately, arching an eyebrow at him.

Oh, she could certainly be bought. But the price not only had to beat what she had already been offered, but be lucrative enough to offset the risk she'd be taking as well. She had a reputation to uphold, after all- oh, she could sell whatever his offer was to her clients as truly the best she'd been able to do. Her risk wasn't one of body. Simply one of competence.

[member="Delilah Keyes"]

He smiled.

The idea was relatively simple really. Off-setting an entire cartel of smugglers was much more costly than it would be to bribe their negotiator. The tactic wasn't exactly on the level, and no doubt the droid in charge of Vanir would not really approve, but Ein would explain that Organics were often flexible and easy to shift.

That was his thought anyway. "I'm going to be candid."

Honest was the best policy.

"It's in my corporations best interest to see that you're inclined to sell the story we want to your clients." He slowly plucked a datapad from his pocket. "And I assure you, it's in your best interest as well."

The words were half a threat, half a temptation. "Vanir has far more to offer than any syndicate could."

That wasn't just boasting either.

If it had been all threat, things might have gone differently. But she was already inclined to take the offer on the table- she'd essentially get paid twice for this job, and since she had no affiliation or loyalty to either side, well.....

It was simply good business.

For her.

Especially because there was no one there from the syndicate to offer an opposing view of what happened in this room today.

She leaned back in her chair, a glint in those dark eyes that belied the earlier mask she'd been wearing. Her words were still too calm, too smooth by half.

"So many ways that story could go," she said thoughtfully, as though mulling it over carefully. "Perhaps you started your offer with half a crate of wilted lettuce and I managed to talk you up to that very generous buy out," she murmured, referring to his opening offer.

"Or maybe you opened with threats of armed force, and of course this was far more suitable than their syndicate ending up under siege."

She wasn't giving him suggestions. She was certain he already had exactly the narrative he wanted to spin and the expectant way she watched him said as much. It was more to make clear that he had her attention.... and, if the price was right, her buy in.

[member="Delilah Keyes"]

"I personally don't care what story you sell them." All that Vanir needed was an opening.

Though they could take this planet through violent conflict and bloody force, doing so would be difficult. What was far easier, was holding it. If the Smugglers left and then later decided they got a bum deal, well they would find the facility here guarded by a contingent of Destroyers and Saeva Soldiers. Their hideouts would be abandoned, and fighting to take back what was once theirs would be nearly impossible. That was simple military strategy, and although Ein had never excelled in it, he knew enough.

Slowly the Financial Officer leaned across the table. "It's none of my concern."

A shrug rolled over his shoulders.

"As long as they leave by the end of the week you can sell them whatever story you like." He gently pressed the pads of his fingers against the knuckles of his other hand. "Convince them to take the one time pay-out, and you will be rewarded by my company."

He wasn't foolish enough to think she could walk away with nothing for the Syndicate.

"Wilted lettuce then."

No reason to make them feel as though they were being threatened. Not directly anyway. There was always that oblique threat, after all, but putting them up against the wall by making it certain? That would benefit no one.

Both of her eyebrows rose slightly however, when he said the end of the week.

"Even accepting that pay out, which I believe I can arrange, there is no way they will be ready to leave in a week," she said, finger tip trailing around the rim of her tea cup.

"Perhaps as little as two, but it is more than simply picking up their wares and flying off by the seat of their pants. In an emergency? Certainly. But the offer you are making would not constitute that. It would mean leaving things behind, potentially missing connections that could not be properly rerouted- loss for them and annoyance for you when smugglers inevitably showed up at your door demanding payment for goods you never ordered."

She wasn't saying this with the benefit of her original employers in mind. But simple prudence. At her core, Delilah was a practical creature.

"A week is simply insufficient for the size and reach of their operation."

[member="Delilah Keyes"]

He frowned for a few moments. Time.

Time was the enemy of progress. It was a saying that his father was rather fond of, something he'd spout every occasion when something got into his or the families way. Ein never really agreed with it, after all without time you couldn't have progress in the first place. He mused for a few moments, glancing over towards one of his guards.

The man stood stoicly in the corner of the room, staring ahead and never bothering to even move an inch. The men and women of Saeva were incredibly well trained, he had no doubt that if it came to conflict Vanir would be the one that won. Yet did he really want to push the issue that far? Especially for just a little bit of time. He frowned for a moment, pulling a small coin from his pocket and rolling it across his fingertips as he considered the womans words.

"Two weeks." It was not an impossible amount of time.

Ein shifted for a moment then leaned forward.

"We will need to see progress however." Ein needed something for the board. "If not, we pull the deal."

"Two weeks. That can be arranged," she said with a small nod. "They will move, like little ants for you. Scurry scurry."

It could have been mocking them or Vanir, depending on interpretation. It was said with such seriousness though that it could have been neither just as easily.

She had noted his hesitation, the way he drew the coin to toy with. For a moment, she hadn't been sure he would agree, and in that case there would have been little in truth she could have done.

They wouldn't want to risk losing the deal, and two weeks was enough time to put the fire under them and not give them too much time to rethink.

"Anything else? Though, to be honest, even if there isn't you're stuck with me for a bit," she said with a smile as she leaned over to pick up the tea pot again.

"They'll never believe any of it if the meeting takes less then ten minutes, after all."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom