Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Step Into The Unknown

"Try not to forget, Aria, you wanted to climb this. I’m simply getting you there."

Connor led the way around the giant spire in which the walkway was bound by vine and rope and metal studs that wound all the way up in a steady incline. The planet was getting smaller steadily on each spiral, but it certainly was a sight to behold.

"Why do you want to excel at being a Jedi,” he asked casually. ”I know how you feel about being a Shadow, but what about the Jedi as a whole. Why is this your path? What do you want to use your ability for?”

[member="Aria Vale"]

"I didn't say anything!" Aria said indignantly. "And how was I meant to know it was harder than it looked?"

The climb was getting steeper as they got closer and closer to the top. It was getting colder, too - Aria could have sworn that they'd reached the clouds by now, although it was hard to tell. They were certainly higher up than Aria'd ever been without a starship, and if nothing else the view made her appreciate the point of scaling a Star Destroyer. Though really, that sounded awful.

A pause as Connor asked his question.
"Upbringing, I guess," Aria reflected, quietly answering the question. "My parents were so happy, and such wonderful people, and it was all I ever really grew up seeing. Which should probably have made me want to rebel and become a Sith, but...well, it didn't." Half-laughing, Aria pondered the second half of the question. "And...I suppose it's what everyone wants when they join the Order: to make the world a better place. To know that something I did made somebody's life better. Also, I made a promise."

[member="Connor Harrison"]

"You wanted me to teach you, I don’t do think’s to make you feel all soft and fuzzy – I do it to make you understand how hard it is and how you need to have that tough outer shell nobody can crack.”

He looked by at her, continuing the slow walk.

"And a promise?” He thought for a second. "Was that to….your girlfriend, right? Or yourself.”

[member="Aria Vale"]

"To myself and to my parents. Celiana and I...she's going down a different path. I was eighteen when I left Eshan, and my parents wanted me to stay and train to Knighthood under them. We reached the agreement that if I left sooner, I had to promise that I wouldn't give up on my training or leave the Order until I became a Jedi Master. I guess they were afraid that without them I'd get fed up and lose motivation, which...was almost true. I've never been much good without structure."

Her mood suddenly shifting, Aria blinked and looked around. "We're almost at the top, look."

treehouse_village_by_juanico_el_muertes-d3iz8vk.jpg

Rounding a few more walkways, Aria was right – they had nearly crested the top of the spire and were greeted with another large decking and half-moon wooden hut. Connor felt the change in atmosphere and thinning of air, and sucked in a breath, nodding.

"This’ll do I think.”

He walked around again, seeing what was there – this time a candle was burning in oil and a large rope was fixed on the hut just as he’d seen from below, and he followed it with his eyes as it went out and over the edge of the spire and trailed down to the ground…hundreds of feet below.

Obviously used for carrying supplies and weapons without lugging them up the walkway.

"Rest up for a moment. Enjoy the view.”

He turned back and sat on the edge of the walkway, legs dangling over. Not something for the fainthearted.

"How are you and Celiana? It wasn’t long ago you’d do anything for her, but now you’re taking different paths? May I ask in what way?”

[member="Aria Vale"]

"Wow," Aria said, spinning round as she took in the view. Unsure of what else to say, she sat down beside Connor, pressing the backs of her legs cautiously against the edge to situate herself.

"I still would. It's just that recently Celiana's...well...defected somewhat from the Order - not that she's a Sith now or anything," she added hastily, not wanting her words to cause a team of Jedi to go after her, "but she's become less of a Jedi of late. Celiana got on the wrong end of injustice, growing up, and now that she's more powerful all that matters to her is getting rid of injustice. And, y'know, I understand it and everything, but - she's just not the same person anymore, and it does scare me a bit." She sighed. "I've tried talking to her about it, but she's hardly at the Temple anymore and when she is she just doesn't want to hear it anymore than I want to say it. I don't know what's going to happen if she gets too close to the Dark Side, but I'm holding out on the if."

Aria looked at the sky for a minute, resting her head on her shoulders, before turning again to face Connor.

"Can I ask you a question now?" she asked tentatively. "Why did you first join the Order? If you don't mind my asking, I mean," she added, turning her head and blushing profusely.

Connor took in the view as he listened to his Padawan talk. She'd come a long way from that initial meeting about the Shadows and she spoke with a lot of sense but foreboding, good and bad. When she asked him a question but turned away, he let his legs swing lazily as he looked out.

"You can ask me anything you need, Aria. Don't look on me as Master...I hate that term. I'm Connor. You're Aria. I'm here to help you and you're here to learn and let me help you blossom. Trust me; I've got you, whatever happens. Alright?”

Was he signing a deal with the devil again? Syala. Chastity. Setzi. Kyra. Most of those he took under his wing had been hurt mentally or physically - sometimes due to being associated with Connor alone. That was enough to put him off, but Aria had come to him looking for guidance, and he couldn't deny the potential he saw in her.

"When did I first join. It's over 10 years now. I was found by Thurion on Rhen Var wandering the Citadel. And he pointed me in the direction of someone he knew, Iella E'ron who founded the Silver Jedi Order to give those like us a home. I tried it, I found Voss, helped them build their temple and flourish their Order...and here we are a decade later. I found a path to walk, I found a cause to fight for and I'm trying to keep it solid today.”

True...cracks were appearing, but he was treading carefully and didn't want Aria to be dragged into the darker side of Connor Harrison. Not yet.

"Why do you ask?”

[member="Aria Vale"]

Aria nodded, please despite herself at the reassurance of an ally. Force knew she could do with one of those. "Alright," she agreed. "Thank you." Now that they were sitting down and the strain of the climb was wearing off, Aria was feeling really rather relaxed. That wasn't something that happened often when you were a trainee Jedi.

"Just curious," she replied honestly. "I figured you'd have a superhero-type backstory and all, because...well, you're you. And I can be rather nosy at times." She inhaled, breathing in the fresh air that remained pure and uncontaminated thanks to their height. It was nice up here.

A super-hero type backstory. The thing of fiction and legend. Connor wished he had that, and could claim to even be one. Was that how few saw him? Was that how Aria saw him? Some unwavering and indestructible hero.

At one time that’s how he saw himself.

Now…?

"That’s amusing. Thank you, but I can only aspire to be like a super-hero. I’m far too flawed and dangerous to be one of those."

Linking his hands on his lap, he forgot how nice it was to slow down and take a few breathes; to listen to the world around you and to not think about anything too far in the future.

"So tell me how you want to get down from here."

[member="Aria Vale"]

"Superheroes are meant to be dangerous," Aria said with a small grin. "And flawed. Get with the program."

Then came another question; making their descent. Thoughtfully, Aria peered over the edge: no way she would be able to make the jump, even with the Force to cushion her landing.

"Climbing down won't be as hard as climbing up was, will it?" she wondered aloud. "Don't see any other way, though...but you climb a lot; can you think of an easier way down?"

That being said, her energy was slowly returning; in a minute or so she would be able to make the climb downwards at an acceptable pace. Still wouldn't be able to keep up with Connor, though. Her abilities only went so far.

Looking to the left, at the wooden pulley system erected on a metal crane, all over-hanging the edge of the walkway, he indicated to it.

"You can do this?"

Used to bring up, and send down, heavy equipment and goods, the pulley system was weighted. One operated the bottom, pulling down the crank, this pulling down the weight and raising the rope with the goods attached. And vice versa from the top – pulling the weight up and sending down the goods.

"Wrap your leg around the rope, hold tight, cut the weight, and it’s a one-way drop to the bottom. Just make sure to soften the blow or you’ll break your legs."

With a sly smile he looked back to the student.

"Or you can walk back down. It’s your choice."

[member="Aria Vale"]

Aria looked over the pulley system with an appraising eye. Truth be told, she hadn't noticed it, but it would work, she supposed.

"I don't suppose there's any point in asking you to go first," she said as she walked over to the rope: she already knew the answer. Trying not to look at the long drop, Aria gripped the rope, wrapping one leg around it several times and taking the other foot cautiously off the walkway. How safe was this exactly? Not very, she guessed, but danger was fun. Sometimes, anyway.

"Okay...alright. Just a second."

Biting her lip, Aria cut the weight and shut her eyes. Immediately she could sense herself dropping at an alarmingly fast rate - her eyes opened against the wind to see that she had perhaps another five seconds before hitting the bottom. That would be enough time. Probably.

Quickly, she summoned up energy in the hand that wasn't clenching the rope, rapidly pointing her fingers downwards to create a push that would just keep her from crashing into the ground, the Force providing air resistance that would slow the final few feet to a safer impact. Aria landed with a gentle thump, swaying backwards a bit as she hit the ground but managing to stay upright due to her leg being wrapped around the rope.

Untangling herself from the pulley system, Aria gave the rope a shake to indicate from below that she had landed, and took a step back to wait for Connor to follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom