Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Public A Simple Round of Sabacc (open, 100 UC buy-in)

Scar Worlds Commscan Relay

S
WHIZZING GIZKA CANTINA
NAR SHADDAA

"Hundred-uck buy-in," said the dealerbot as it shuffled. "Classic sabacc rules."

"Skifters take a walk outside," the Nikto bouncer added in a voice like cracking stone. He indicated a window overlooking a very long fall. Like most places on Nar Shaddaa, the Whizzing Gizka was high enough that tossing cheaters off the edge was a matter of common sense, not just tradition.

The dealerbot distributed the cards to five local regulars and some new arrivals.

OOC: Play as you see fit, use the NPCs as you like. In the end, whoever's left or wins or whatever will get the total pot of UCs, which currently stands at 500. To join the game, use the Donate function to send 100 UCs to this NPC account.

"Deal me in, partner."

Captain Kyros settled in at the sabacc table and ordered a Port in a Storm while he waited for the droid to circle twice around the table. He peeled up their corner edge and glanced down at his hand. Most of the duros' expression was concealed by the brim of his hat but there was a subtle mustache twitch which betrayed a hint of emotion.

"So what brings y'all to the Smuggler's Moon?" Sly drawled in a thick outer rim accent, "Business...or pleasure?"

He reached into his battered duster for an igniter and lit a thin cigarra. It only added to the Whizzing Gizka's smoky haze when Kyros exhaled.

Last edited:
Lance of Dreams sometimes ventured beyond Denon. Technically, this venture was classified as a vacation for him—a mandatory one. Some high-profile complaints on Denon that corporate was working to smooth over and needed him to be away while they dealt with it. He was too valuable to iBorg to let him go over such a meager issue as sapient rights violations. He was just trying to understand why they were so awful to their economic constituents in the lower levels of Denon. Life experience was valuable, and the contract he made was very clear what his price was for operation.

As he sat at the table across from Sly Chance Sly Chance and the dealerbot, he began shut-down procedures for the various inbuilt calculations his various implants could provide. Wouldn't want to be accused of cheating, and there was a certain thrill to uncertainty on occasion.

"A bit of both personally, my business is a pleasure." He intoned neutrally.

"Your eyes are a beautiful shade, I can see why you haven't replaced them yet. You should know though it's possible to have adequate storage for such things if you're ever looking to try something new."

Spacer Guild Commscan Relay

"A bit of both personally, my business is a pleasure."

Yula snorted. "Shouldn't you be on Zeltros, then?"

The shadowrunner's elbow was resting on the table, cheek pressed against a loose fist while gazing hazily at those who'd gathered. Or maybe the haze was from Sky's cigarra. Inspired, she pulled one of her own—hand rolled by the guy two blocks over back on Denon—and held it out for him before he'd pocketed the igniter.

"Hang on," She squinted at Lance. "You sayin' you got fancy eyes? Can you see through the cards?"

Yula did have a cybernetic eye with rotation scan functionsm but she knew better than to cheat at cards (okay not really).

Sly Chance Sly Chance Lance of Dreams Lance of Dreams Spacer Guild Commscan Relay

Yiulie

Y
Sly Chance Sly Chance Lance of Dreams Lance of Dreams Yula Perl Yula Perl

The sound of tiny clawed feet called from underneath the table before one of the seats next to Yula were pushed back. Up from beneath the table poked the head of one very small rodent-looking character as they clambered up on top of their seat. At first they plopped themself down onto it but quickly realized that the table would just barely reach below their chin, not to mention that the table itself was a little bit too far away.

"Damn it." They cursed under their breath and proceeded to jump down and pull the chair back in closer to the table and tried again, this time sitting down on their knees to place a small chip on top of the table.

"There we go." They sighed and gathered their breath as they looked at the others. "Howdy, friends!" Their small paw waved excitedly in the air at the others. With their other hand they pushed the buy-in further onto the table and got their cards.

The rodent-looking creature glanced down at their cards. A six, and a one.

"You wanted to reach twenty-three in this game, right?"

“As close to twenty-three as possible,” Samnai says without looking up, shuffling her own cards.

She was considering helping Yiulie when the rodent finally sat down, ater which she minded her own business. Today she opted for a simple pink long-sleeved shirt with a black, knee-length skirt, giving her quite a different look from her usual dark outfits. She looked quite friendly, save for her icy blue eyes and the scar down her face.

Replying to Sly’s original question, she says, “Oh yeah…I came here for both.” It wasn’t exactly a lie, though the business part was a bit more than the pleasure part.

Spacer Guild Commscan Relay
Sly Chance Sly Chance
Lance of Dreams Lance of Dreams
Yula Perl Yula Perl

Yiulie

Last edited:
"Your eyes are a beautiful shade, I can see why you haven't replaced them yet. You should know though it's possible to have adequate storage for such things if you're ever looking to try something new."

"That some kind of big city pick up line?" Sly smirked at the cyborg, "Shoot just fine with the eyes the Force gave me."

Despite the Whizzing Gizka's rough atmosphere Kyros seemed quite at ease. One hand never drifted far from his belt and the heavy blasters hanging on either side. A lit cigarra dangled loosely beneath the smuggler's mustache.

"You sayin' you got fancy eyes? Can you see through the cards?"

"There's no liars in this game," he leaned over to share the igniter, "Just players."

Once everyone was dealt in, the duros snapped his fingers and motioned to the dealer droid.

"Hit me."

Yiulie Samnai Rouber Samnai Rouber

Last edited:
Yula snorted. "Shouldn't you be on Zeltros, then?"

"I do have documented memories of being a Zeltron on Zeltros, yes. Though that program cycle isn't currently operating, no."

"That some kind of big city pick up line?" Sly smirked at the cyborg, "Shoot just fine with the eyes the Force gave me."

"Hmm, I suppose it might be. I have insufficient data on that. The offer was genuine, however. I have multiple storage facilities for temporary transitions for those discerning customers unsure if an upgrade is for them. The compliment was also genuine, and I often put on a similar hue for my own optical receptors."

"Hang on," She squinted at Lance. "You sayin' you got fancy eyes? Can you see through the cards?"

"I could, yes, though not with this set. I could switch them out now if you would enjoy a product presentation. Though, perhaps after the game."

Lance of Dreams watched Yiulie ascend to the table and wave, and he modestly waved back, closing his eyes in a smile for a moment.

"As close to the absolute value of 23 without going over, yes. Though, if two players have positive 23 and a negative 23, the player with the positive value wins." He corrected Samnai Rouber Samnai Rouber .

He observed his hand, a +8 and a -5. Interesting.

"As close to the absolute value of 23 without going over, yes. Though, if two players have positive 23 and a negative 23, the player with the positive value wins." He corrected Samnai Rouber Samnai Rouber .

He observed his hand, a +8 and a -5. Interesting.
"Ah, I see." Samnai replies to Lance of Dreams Lance of Dreams , a bit distractedly. A +1 Ace card and a +12 Commander card. Hm.

"Let's begin."

[IMG alt="Spacer Guild Commscan Relay"]https://www.starwarsrp.net/data/avatars/s/22/22248.jpg?1611079421[/IMG]
[USER=22948]Sly Kyros

Sly Chance Sly Chance
Lance of Dreams Lance of Dreams
Yula Perl Yula Perl
Yiulie

Last edited:
"I could, yes, though not with this set. I could switch them out now if you would enjoy a product presentation. Though, perhaps after the game."

"Yes, actually." Yula had sounded mildly surprised that she'd even agreed. She snorted softly to Sly's response, stretching her arm for the igniter. It took a few passes for the end of her own cigarra to catch, and by then they'd been joined by two more players…well, one and a half.

"Howdy." She mumbled from behind the cigarra, giving both the rodent and other woman a nod. Observing her cards, one brow rose a tic to see The Idiot in her hand. The other, a +9.

"Not Corellian rules, then." She hummed, tapping the edge of her cards against the table. "Anyone here Corellian? Boutta quarter, from my grandad." Same grandad who taught her the game.

Sly Chance Sly Chance Lance of Dreams Lance of Dreams Spacer Guild Commscan Relay Yiulie Samnai Rouber Samnai Rouber

Yiulie

Y
As close to twenty-three as possible, eyes of the force, no liars… A quarter something… It had been roughly a week or two since the young tintinna took to this wandering life, and they were already overwhelmed by the sheer amount of information that went into understanding the other races. One of them had blue skin and red eyes, the other was pink. Another one looked more like a machination and the fourth… Well that must clearly have been a human child.

Yiu looked down at their cards and furrowed. Seven felt pretty low, and there was no telling what the others had. Yiu looked at the way they seemed to hold their cards in an almost protective manner, same as those that had tried to teach them this game before.

"How can you be a quarter of something? You either are or you are not, right?"
Yiu asked rather innocently and reached out for the cards on the table with a slight struggle before the dealer handed them another. A two, and a minus-two. A confused face fell over Yiulie as they shared the look with the others. "Okay, is it normal to get a number, and then the same number but in minus? That just means I got nothing at all!"

This game was weird. What was the point of playing if you got nothing?

"Or do I have, like, a double hand? Positive, AND negative hand?"

Samnai glanced at Yiulie beside her. This person really came here without knowing anything about Sabacc?

Sighing, she patiently explained each of her questions, “Some people have ancestors or parents of different origins which makes them mixed race, many people are several quarters of different races.”

This girl must be very young, she thought, who doesn’t know these things? It was not a malicious thought, more a curious one. Either that, or she’s very sheltered.

Samnai continues, “You get more cards as you play so having nothing is okay.”

Yiulie

"My folk settled Wild Space near a century ago. Hard to say."

Kyros examined his cards with a calculating glance. He'd been dealt an Ace and a -1 card. Drawing another from the dealerbot, Sly affixed the -10 card with a careful neutral expression while inside his gambling instincts churned. After a few seconds the smuggler turned it face down and slid the fresh card deftly back toward a discard pile. Maybe the next card would bring him closer to a winning hand.

"Cards may change," Sly glanced over at the little dwarf girl, "But people are predictable."

She and the zeltron were easiest to read. The human looking one seemed more focused on instruction than her own hand while the cyborg...Captain Kyros had to admit it was one hell of a sabacc face. Game recognized game.

Yula Perl Yula Perl Lance of Dreams Lance of Dreams Samnai Rouber Samnai Rouber Yiulie

Last edited:
After everyone was dealt their two cards, the Betting phase began. Though it felt too early to be betting on anything, Sly seemed to skip, and Lance of Dreams followed suit. Likewise, there was nothing to call so early in the game, and Sly again skipped the Calling phase. Sly's Shifting phase passed by, and then he drew a card.

Lance of Dream opted not to Shift anything and also drew a card. A positive 9 was added to his hand, giving his hand (+8, -5) a total of +12. It wasn't a bad hand, but if he discarded the -5, it would bring a +17, closer to 23 but by no means a winning hand in most cases. He determined it would be better to keep the negative card for now and stuck with his hand of +12.

"On the contrary, my friend, individuals are home to great probabilistic outliers. Unlike a card that tells you its value even as it changes, predicting and modeling the behavior of any given individual over time is a lesson in failure." Lance of Dreams intoned neutrally.

"Corellians I find to be host to numerous outliers in my experience, though admittedly my data repository of Corellian individuals has been rather sparse after the Breaking." Lance of Dreams hosted his first frown.

Yula Perl Yula Perl Sly Chance Sly Chance Yiulie Samnai Rouber Samnai Rouber Scar Worlds Commscan Relay

Yiulie

Y
"Oh, okay. I think I understand." Yiulie said and put on a determined game face as they re-calculated the value of their hand. Still pretty low, so she decided it was best to draw two new ones. "You have to be sneakier than a... A nexu at dawn!"

The dealer bot handed out more cards and Yiulie instinctively handed it her -2 without any hesitation. Her small hands reached out for the cards to pull them in and give them a proper lookover. 16 and 1. Add a 7 to that and you had... Yiulie stared at the ceiling for a moment.

"Carry the ten..." They mumbled before their brows furrowed from the frustrating math games. "Ohhh fiddlesticks!" She harumphed. "That's-"

And then she suddenly stopped before a joyous smile spread on her lips. The cards were both negative!

"Okay, okay, carry..." They said and tapped their forehead. The patting ended and their smile widened again. "Ooooo, I like that."

Negative ten was a good hand! They leaned back in their seat with a confident smirk and looked at the others. Big player Yiulie had this bad boy in the basket. They just needed to make some moves.

"Oh no!" She said and lowered her cards to look over at the funny looking robot. Something the dealer took as her folding. "Did something damage your memory cores? Did you say you are broken?" She slapped at the metallic hands that reached out for her hand. "No! Bad droid, stop!"

She gave the cards a tug to keep them and the dealer stopped for a moment to recalculate itself before it registered its fault with a slight, albeit stiff nod.

Lance of Dreams Lance of Dreams Sly Chance Sly Chance Samnai Rouber Samnai Rouber Yula Perl Yula Perl

Last edited by a moderator:
Samnai shifted in her seat and leaned back, getting more comfortable. She drew a card and looked at it, a -3. She calculated quickly—keeping all her current cards would amount to +10, she could give up her -3 but if another negative came later it would only be reduced further. After a moment she decides to keep them all for now.

Discreetly looking up from her hand, she observes her fellow players. They are an interesting bunch. Noticing Sly Chance Sly Chance 's look, Samnai gazes back before dropping her eyes. None of the people here are simple or harmless.

As she looked at the (possible) child tussling with the dealer, though, she concurred her previous point. One could almost see the amusement in her eyes.

Lance of Dreams Lance of Dreams Lance of Dreams Lance of Dreams Sly Chance Sly Chance Sly Chance Sly Chance @ Yula Perl Yula Perl Yiulie

Yula had no idea what Lance of Dreams was saying, but she rocked her head slightly in a nod of acknowledgment. Smoke curled lazily from the tip of her cigarra, and she drew her next card, a +7.

This made her hand The Idiot, +9, and a +7, for a total of 16. Not bad, and it didnt exactly dash her hopes of landing the array.

…it was a long shot. She'd only seen the Idiot's Array a few times, and never in her own hands. Doubtful it would ever happen, she kept the new card and mulled over drawing another. In the end, she stayed with her hand.

Yula snorted as their littlest player wrestled with the dealer droid. "Must have a special hand if you held onto them tight, yeah?"

Lance of Dreams Lance of Dreams Sly Chance Sly Chance Yiulie Samnai Rouber Samnai Rouber Scar Worlds Commscan Relay

"I knew you were going to say that," Sly grinned at the cyborg.

Humor drained from his expression and spurs clanged when the duros stomped his boot.

"Hey, kid!" his eyes narrowed, "Hands off the clanker."

Kyros wasn't here to make friends. He was here to play cards. A new round began and the notorious smuggler pushed a small pile of exotic coins forward into the pot.

"Let's make things interesting. Bet twenty ucks."

Lance of Dreams Lance of Dreams Samnai Rouber Samnai Rouber Yiulie Yula Perl Yula Perl

"Oh no!" She said and lowered her cards to look over at the funny looking robot. Something the dealer took as her folding. "Did something damage your memory cores? Did you say you are broken?"

Without direct access to his databanks, while playing the game, Lance of Dreams could not determine what species this speaker was and therefore couldn't decide on its relative age. They seemed young, and the question stemmed from a misunderstanding one might have if they lacked awareness of galactic events, its history, or perhaps due to his atypically mechanical nature. Nonetheless, he found the aesthetically pleasing creature humorously warming.

"Worry not. I am fully functional. The Breaking I refer to is a recent event in Corellia's astrographic history, when a planet from a different galaxy had its matter transposed onto it, causing mass destruction. It was about the same time as the Rapture event of the so-called "Akala" or "Netherworld" Crisis." Lance of Dreams educated the sapient rodent and any other listeners just as a new betting phase was about to begin.

"I knew you were going to say that," Sly grinned at the cyborg.

"Let's make things interesting. Bet twenty ucks."

"Your precognition validates my anecdotal hypothesis. Well done!" Lance of Dreams utilized another smile that seemed slightly uncanny as if the action was purely calculated.

"If it is interesting you desire, then I will bet 2,000 Underworld Credits" Lance of Dreams locked his eyes on the Duros, admiring the red sheen. Lance of Dreams decided he desired them.

Samnai Rouber Samnai Rouber Yiulie Sly Chance Sly Chance Yula Perl Yula Perl Scar Worlds Commscan Relay

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom