Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Ryloth's midnight

otVTXn.jpg
Secluded area of Ryloth library
It was near closing time, yet Paige was nowhere near finished.

It had been a few months since she began her training as a Jedi Padawan. While things were going well, she couldn't help but feel... trapped. On one end of the spectrum, she could see that training as Jedi would stop her frustration from overcoming her, on the other hand, she was confused as to why the very doctrine which demanded that she show compassion to others didn't allow her to feel her own emotions and express them. Of course, the natural Jedi thing to do was to understand these emotions but overcome them.

But she couldn't.

She had difficulty in doing just that. While she didn't feel like taking a one-way-trip to Korriban and be hung-drawn and quartered by the Dark Lord's servants, she also couldn't live in this constant state of emotional purgatory. Needing some place to... vent, she traveled to Ryloth, alone and under the guise of night, wearing robes which covered her entire body making her completely unrecognizable to anybody she would usually speak to, not that she had any contacts on Ryloth anyway.

"Why are these books so useless."

She whispered, trying not to attract attention, in a display of anger tearing the book on the Mandragora, the local force order who she had hoped to seek happiness in. The pages fluttered and some scraps of paper fluttered to the table. Sighing, she placed her hands on her face and started scratching her head furiously.

[member="Katrine Van-Derveld"]

She'd been skipping through the library during closing time, enjoying the fact she'd get the place all to herself once everyone was gone. Ever since their keeper of knowledge had given her permission to make use of the Grimoire, Katrine had become a frequent user of it, with the ancient artifact now hovering right behind her as she moved through the book shelves, making her way to her favorite place of the building even though the rest of it would soon be vacant for her. She froze suddenly as she made the turn, hearing a tear into one of the books, sapphire blue gaze spotting the figure and the scraps of paper on the table.

"It's not nice to destroy other people things," Katrine pointed out almost immediately, the ancient book hovering behind her as her focus still remained on her, bringing it to rest at the book stand behind the desk. The figure wasn't familiar to her, once she had put her attention her but the Force was nudging her none the less as she peeked over to what the person was destroying. The Lupine had seen that one already, it was mostly gibberish, not written by the spirits of Mandragora themselves but about them by those who didn't know and weren't worthy of the power. "That book is total crap, written by a bunch of nobodies. If you're curious about the Mandragora, it won't tell you anything good. They were wrong." Whoever they were, it didn't really matter. Now, Kat wasn't against having some fun or destruction, she enjoyed it but when it came to what was hers, then rules were obviously different. "Can I help you with something?"

As she spoke, awaiting answer. Behind her, the Grimoire laid still but its silent song was potent, still humming to her whenever she was near. If it was the Mandragora the figure was interested in, she would no doubt hear the silent song as well. The spirits had a way of reaching out to the curious, inviting them to be tested.

[member="Paige Blossom"]

"Who cares if it's not nice? If it's usless-.. forget it."

She began counting to ten, that childish thing your parents tell you to do when you're angry. 1... 2... 3... 4.... Nope. She stood up and turned to face Katrine, removing the hood and indeed the robe she was wearing revealing her regular set of clothes; unusually though she was angry, frustrated, disappointed in her inability to actually research something on her own. She'd been in this library for several hours at this point, trying to decipher what was, as [member="Katrine Van-Derveld"] had said, was gibberish.

"I know it's crap! Everything in this building is crap, and I feel like I'm going crazy. I've just spent my entire life savings and the compensation for my family literally being kidnapped and probably killed on going to this library to read this book and it was all for nothing. Nothing. And-.."

She heard the song, oddly it felt familiar. Though she had never met her grandmother, apart from seeing her head rolling in snow after being executed, she felt her presence nearby. Paige was unsure if her grandmother was actually a force user, which given the family's history was actually likely, but why was she being contacted here of all places? Right now?

"There's the confirmation." Paige laughed in disbelief that this was happening to her. " I can hear a song, but I know it very well doesn't exist. I bet you're not even real."

Paige poked Katrine very softly, once more in disbelief she pinched her own arm. Real.

"Oh I'm... sorry." Paige sighed softly, feeling peculiarly calmer than moments before. "Sorry I'm just in a bit of a... pickle at the moment. I'm trying to find research on a group called the 'Mandragora', I don't suppose you've heard of them at all? Or a better question would be if you're apart of them, since you already know about them."

Paige had her suspicions at this point, it probably wasn't by chance that she only heard this silent song now when Katrine had entered the vicinity, though she paid no attention to the floating book that was their moments before.

Who cared if it wasn't nice? Katrine blinked. "I care. I mean, I don't care about a lot of things that aren't mine but Mandragora things I care about, even if they're fake. If you actually did that to the grimoire, the spirits would get you." She pointed out simply, ending her talking when the figure stood and revealed the girl whose voice had pretty much made it obvious already. The girl called everything in the building crap and felt like she was going crazy. Kat giggled at that but she didn't interrupt her right away, her face suddenly turning deadly serious when the other girl said her family was kidnapped. It was a very delicate subject, having heard stories of her own Mother being kidnapped at a young age and sold to slavery. If it hadn't been for Nono Seth being greatly entertained by bidding for an eight year old just so he could outbid some face he didn't like, who knew what would have become of her.

"Breath," she finally said as the other girl seemed to be lost for words. "Not everything here is crap. Knowledge is cool. I can help y--," she stopped again when the girl said there was confirmation, talking about hearing a song. She smiled again, far softer than before. "You hear them calling?" The blond wondered as she turned half way, drawing her attention to the Grimoire behind her, only to feel a sudden poke. "Ouch!" The twenty year old gave a small yelp at being poked, rubbing the poked skin with her hand, not at all happy with that part.

Finally, the girl apologized, sounding hella calmer than before, talking about Mandragora. Had she heard of them? The smile returned to her face yet again. "I have," she quietly said as she reached for the girl's hand. "I could tell you about them but you should first meet them. You hear the song, they're obviously calling to you." Her other hand, the one not reaching for the girl waved towards the closed Grimoire. "You only have to touch the book. They're singing to you, they want you. Just touch it and they'll choose to whom you belong to." It sounded cryptic, Katrine was well aware of that but it was exactly how it was for her and everyone who was a Mandragora. The spirits called, they had touched and in the spiritual plane, the spirits had decided, one of them choosing the person. Who she was would determine who would claim her but Katrine couldn't explain it with words, the girl had to experience it herself and be chosen.

[member="Paige Blossom"]

How deep does the rabbit hole go?

Paige looked oddly at the book, then at Katrine then back at the book.

"What do you take me for? I've established that you're real but that doesn't mean you're not messing with me. Do you honestly think I'm so silly to think that there is a realm of force ghosts or however you put it held away in this book?"

Paige looked up, actually considering it.

"Okay, don't answer that actually."

What's the worst that could happen? Death? These things are already dead, they can't harm me. There was an internal conflict, on one hand she could feel her grandmother say her name, though she was almost certain this was her being remorseful and simply twisting whatever was actually calling her into what she wanted it to say. Reluctantly, she took a few steps closer to the book. Silent whispers called out to her, a demonic scream, a venomous snarl and a crow cawing. Strange she thought once more.

It didn't take long before she, at a faster pace rushed to the book, her hand slowly went down onto it, though at a breakneck speed she immediately was transported into the sky, atop a cloud. She could hear the screams, snarling and cawing what seemed to be trying to "speak" over eachother. The cloud was no ordinary cloud, the entire skyline was thunderous and a purple mist surrounded her. The clouds beneath her feet were a deep black, though when she peered down she could see the very library that she was standing in in a physical presence. The bickering continued, and Paige felt obligated to try and speak though she assumed she should keep her mouth shut. As soon as her lips opened a crackle of thunder laid itself at her feet, electrifying the ground beneath her, though not appearing to damage her she felt charged in a way.

The piercing screeches of the three continued, though the snarling and cawing imminently drowned out the screaming, which soon faded into nothingness. It wasn't long thereafter that the cawing soon fizzled and the snarling triumped the snarling and she was transported into a similar looking cloudy area, though this time 3 pillars of light erected themselves infront of her, one being red, the other a dark blue and the final one standing in the centre black.

The two behind the black seemed to be faded ever so slightly, and soon the pillar of light, or a better phrase would be darkness, shifted onto her spiritual being. Descending down onto her appeared to be a spider, and similarly in the two other lights a hawk and some demonic creation began to come down before eventually levitating in spot. Paige was frozen, quite literally unable to move and feeling helpless tried to scream, but no audible sounds escaped her voice box.

Ever so cunning you are, dear Paige. Let me help you.

Its jaws opened, though in comparison to her regular response she felt... calm, relaxed, serene even. As it descended further and further onto her, a venom escaped it and covered Paige, though it wasn't corrosive. Similarly, it just heightened her incantory state and moreover felt like she was meant to be like this. Obediently she sat still, pondering just how long she would stay submerged in the thick, black liquid. When she emerged, she felt revitalized, anew but more importantly a series of webs had begun to develop on her skin.

I'll be seeing you later.

It pushed her down through the clouds and she felt like she was freefalling till her spirit had returned to her body.

In reality, she had only been gone a few moments but it felt like a lifetime.

"What... just happened..?"

Paige looked at her hands shaking her head.

She blinked slowly. What did she take the girl for? Katrine wasn't following. "A girl?" The blond carefully worded out, though she wasn't really certain of her answer because she didn't really know her well enough to be completely sure if she was a girl or if she looked like one. Like, sure, Katrine was a girl but she was really a wolf who took human form because that was what her race did. But the girl talked about establishing she was real to which Katrine just said: "I'm real" while the other girl kept talking. Did she think she was silly enough to think there was a real of force ghosts? "Why would there not be?" There was a matter of fact tone of voice as she spoke the words, knowing full well she was right. Even before Katrine had met Lylek, Doashim and Jart, she had known spirits were real. She'd lived with one at her side her entire life so of course she new it was true.

Then she was told not to answer that. Katrine looked at her funny. "Why not? Questions should be answered." She really wanted to answer properly. Questions absolutely should have been answered. Katrine couldn't really understand how she could just not want an answer to her question when it had been formed and asked. That was how questions and answers worked, right?

Katrine watched carefully as the girl approached the book despite what she had said, touching it. A small smile crept to her light face as she waited. It had felt like no more than seconds but Katrine knew when silence followed the action that she had in fact been called. The spirits had called and the girls had indeed answered the call. So, she waited, for what turned out to be just a split second for her though she knew the experience had lasted longer for the girl. When she heard the girl speak, a question uncompleted. Now, she walked up to her, as the girl was watching her hands. "You have been chosen, you are a child of the Mandragora now same as me," Katrine had explained carefully, examining any visible sign of a mark on the girl. Each spirit marked their chosen with the symbol of their own kind. Katrine's mark was beneath her shoulder blade, on the left side which the girl couldn't see now and from what Kat could see, the mark wasn't visible on the girl either, which made her unable to tell which of the spirits had chosen her. "Which of the spirits claimed you?" She asked then, wanting to know.

[member="Paige Blossom"]

It was clearer to her now, the reason why she immediately looked at her hands when she came out of the trance. Scars began to form around them, and not only them, her skin in general. Though faded in the more noticeable spaces, the hands were the most obvious, forming into webs. Now she understood why the spirit, Lylek, had took the form of a spider. Given [member="Katrine Van-Derveld"]'s curiosity, she assumed that she was unaware of everything that had just happened.

"Uh I don't know its name... It looked like a spider?"

It probably did tell her its name, though obviously she was memorized by the whole situation perhaps forgot something as trivial in a label. Labels didn't matter anymore, not in the world that she had just stepped into. Momentarily, she stopped looking at her hands and looked directly at Katrine once more, attempting to seek some sort of verification.

"I'm not crazy... right? I did just speak to a spider? You've done it too, right?" Her pitch raised significantly, clearly showing some concern for herself.

"And if I'm not crazy... what now?"

A spider. "Lylek. You've been chosen by Lylek," Katrine explained as she watched the shapes completely become visible, confirming it. Lylek had claimed her. It made Kat happy, watching the girl process what had happened. Her own meeting with the spirits wasn't so long ago, she had spoken to all three of the spirits though to her family's history with the Mandragora and the sins her ancestor had committed against them all those centuries ago. Yet, they all agreed before Jart had chosen Katrine, her family had ten fold made up for Avarisa's sins against the Mandragora and their children.

Yet the girl wondered if she was crazy. Had she just spoken to Lylek? Katrine smirked. "Whether you are crazy or not has nothing to do with this but yes, you did just speak to Lylek. I've heard him, same as I hard heard Doashim and Jart before Jart had chosen me. That's the bird. Doashim is like this demonic creature. He represents strength, while Jart represents creativity," she offered a short explanation.

"Lylek represents cunning," Katrine finally added before the girl would ask what no. "For starters, I'm Katrine, what's your name?" It seemed like an important piece of information to get out of the way before they continued, no? What happened after that though? Katrine looked at her for a moment before moving to the book, opening it up. "Mandragora is ancient but it lays on the same principles as Dathomirian magic," she spoke without actually looking back at the girl, showing off some of the graphics in the book. To her, the words read at Paecean, as her first written language but for the girl, it would read in any language she had learned first or was most verse in. It was different for everyone.

Katrine didn't spent too much time flipping through the book though before she turned to her new friend abruptly. "I should teach you some spells," the Lupine declared happily. "You should totally have your Trial by Fire." The statement had come off hand, before Katrine realized the girl might have not known what that was since it was a Dathomirian thing. "It's nothing scary. On Dathomir, a young Witch does her Trial by Fire the first time she learns spells. It's just a right of initiation disguised in a first lesson." It had nothing to do with burning, really though a lot of the youngsters did start with spells relating to fire. "Would you like to learn to create a fire and then turning them into arrows or would you like to learn how to create a soft breeze?" Those were easy spells, something to get her started. Usually, Witches didn't have the choices, Elders handed them scrolls which they had to learn and that was that, but Katrine didn't think of her much of a teacher so she didn't think she should just dropped a spell without asking the girl what she wanted first.

[member="Paige Blossom"]

As a girl she was always afraid of spiders, not that she saw much of them anyway up until she had been rescued. The insects that she had seen were only those acclimatized towards arctic conditions. There was just something about this cliche phobia that had been taken to the next level compared to another individual. As soon as she saw one, her heart rate would shoot up exponentially, she would break out into a cold sweat, not at the fear of being subjected to a fatal demise by them, and not even the fear of the thought of being the subject of a fatality, but they seemed to lack emotion, like mechanical droids. Though she knew this couldn't be true, given they were made of flesh and blood, she was scared of being emotionless.

She had never considered herself to be cunning, or particularly stealthy. If anything, Jart seemed like a more appropriate spirit to have chosen her, though there must have been a reason for being chose by the embodiment of her biggest fear.

"Uhh.. Paige. Nice to meet you? Though it would have been nicer to do so on a less meaningful area." Paige paused, realizing what she had just said. "No I mean... a library isn't meaningfu-.. you get my point. " Laughing slightly.

She outstretched her hand to Katrine but retracted in moments later after looking at the now fully developed scarring. By now, she had stepped back allowing her to reach the book before examining it closely. Though she didn't exactly understand what it all meant, she could tell it was some sort of Galactic Basic. It wasn't long before Katrine turned to her with Paige stepping back slightly.

"Wow-wow-wow. Trial by fire? That sounds extremely dangerous." Though in saying that, she reflected on what had just happened, dropping her initial preconceptions and placing her faith in the woman.

"A soft breeze sounds a bit more suited to me." Half smiling, she looked back towards the book considering her decision.

What's the worst that could happen, right?

"Nice to meet you, Paige," the Lupine returned once she heard her name. Meaningful area? "What do you mean?" Katrine was confused by that. The library was the best the Mandragora had right now, having not found a place to call their own. It was useful in a lot of regards, the blonde thought.

The mention of the Trial had clearly caused a reaction, which made a good thing Katrine actually explained what it actually meant. There was no need to scare Paige off when she'd only just met her. Then she decided on the Tempest spell. The Lupine nodded. "Tempest spell in its initiate form, got it," she confirmed and then raised her index finger as to tell Paige to wait as she moved in the back of the room, picking up one of the empty scrolls she had found in other parts of the library and brought here.

Scrolls were sacred and important the Dathomirian culture, though not as much as the Books themselves. "Each initiate, upon their Trial, receives a scroll of their first spell," Katrine explained as she brought the scroll to the table, opened it and took the ink and writing tool she used to write into her spell book to write down the words of the Tempest spell. As she wrote the words, carefully making them presentable and readable, she still explained. "You have to memorize this spell word for word and chant it. Concentrate as you do. Concentration is very important, same as with when using powers. You have up to an hour to memorize. Once you know it word for word, you can cast it. Don't worry if it doesn't happen on the first go. It does take a bit of time for the first spell." Usually, it took about two or three attempts before it worked for a little Witch. Of course, a Witches were aged four, five or six when they cast their first spell, never having cast a spell before that. Anyone who had experience in the Force would have a better time doing. Katrine, of course, didn't know if Paige knew the Force well enough at all, she could feel her presence within the Force but she certainly wasn't the level of a Spellweaver or Elder, or their mirrored ranks in other orders.

Mother Nature, all that is good,
share with me your breath and
bring forth the gentle breeze.

She finished scribbling her words on the scroll as she used the spell, in Galactic Basic rather than her own language as she had originally been thought and brought it to Paige. "Memorize it right. Concentrate on what you want. Imagine the wind. It'll weak in this form, a soft breeze literally but it serves to connect you and to help you grasp the feeling of using magic. Every spell from then on will be far easier to complete once you understand the idea." Her last advice as she handed the scroll and gave an assured nod. She could feel the potential inside Paige just as the spirits had felt it, calling her to them. Katrine therefor had no doubt Paige could perform the spell. The Trial itself was far more complicated than just memorizing a single spell. It consisted of passing one than proceeding to learn two more, then demonstrating all the spells learned in front of an audience but Katrine wouldn't put Paige through that. No, she needed her to understand how spellcasting worked more than anything. That was the true first step.

[member="Paige Blossom"]

"Just --- I wouldn't exactly call a library an exciting place. I'm not a big fan of reading."

Paige remained silent and placed a hand on her hip while waiting for [member="Katrine Van-Derveld"] to scribbled down some words, though peering over her shoulder occasionally failing to be as patient as she usually was. She felt... strange. All of the previous force powers she had learned were adapting one's connection to the force to suit their needs, over learning an incantation or chant which would do such for them. Though, in the way Mandragora force users seemed to operate it looked like they were asking some otherworldly spirit to assist them. In practice, it was extremely similar to all the lessons she had received previously, just keep practicing until you eventually got it; though she was concerned incase there was some interference.

"I don't know if you could tell, but I am actually trained to use the force, though by a different order. Not saying you're... forcist or anything, just incase that would inhibit or disadvantage me in performing the spell. I'm not knighted or anything, not even officially apart of a sect j"

The words seemed simple enough. "Mother nature all that is good, share with me your breath and bring forth your breeze". A breeze was child's play compared to the feats she had achieved in the past, those included welding, moving construction equipment, recharging a battery, healing an open wound and among else the infamous mind trick which was oh-so associated with the Jedi. Imagining a breeze was a bit easier said than done, because she wasn't really into those physical manifestations of weather, though she assumed that it was literally moving the force through the air and allowing the spirits to guide her doing the rest.

Katrine gave a quiet chuckle as Paige said the library wasn't an exiting place. "Library is only as exciting as you make it out to be," the blond pointed out as the chuckle lessened into as mile. Sure, it wasn't always fun for her either, she had loved the outside far more than the inside once but Katrine had found a purpose in this library of all of them so what she had said was quite true.

As she had scribbled the spell onto the parchment paper, Paige pointed out she had training in a different type of Force, which Katrine had picked up earlier to an extent. The other girl didn't know if it would affect the spell casting or not. "There are old school Witches who are of the belief magic and powers aren't the same but I was raised in a progressive clan. My ancestors sought to prove the old ways wrong which they are. I use powers too, it all comes from the same source," Katrine explained as she watched her symbols.

Once completed and handed over, Katrine had nothing to do but to wait. Nona always waited while she studied her spells when she was little so the blond did the same now with Paige, letting her memorize the words she had been given and to begin casting. Witches started with spells, it was their entry into the world of the Force but with Paige having some background with using powers, she suspected it would be somewhat easier, especially since the spell was in Galactic Basic rather than Paecean which had in the past proved more problematic than magic itself, which was why Katrine had gone onto the journey of branching out magic to be used in Galactic Basic, something she had proved was quite possible.

[member="Paige Blossom"]

(Sorry for taking so long to get this up for you)

Looking down towards the parchment paper she began to memorize the words. Unsure of how difficult it should be she simply just began to cover up the words and recite them in her mind, repeating it multiple times for about 15 minutes. After a final glance she simply nodded to [member="Katrine Van-Derveld"], though lacking the knowledge of how to perform the spell was probably the most inhibiting thing to this training exercise.

"So uh... do I just recite the spell? Any gestures? Do I need to call upon a spirit?"

This was certainly different to what Paige had done before. In the past she simply just closed her eyes and imagined inputting the force into different situations, whether that be healing, telekinesis or electric judgement. Of course, they all had different ways of being manipulated into a physical manifestation, and she guessed that was probably the same in this instance. On the other hand, she speculated if this was becoming borderline blasphemy with the chanting, calling upon spirits and ritualistic spells.

"Also, this is safe right? I'm not going to be blown up or anything?"

( That's alright! )

Generally, the old Witches would just wait for their student to complete their Trial by Fire but Katrine was not an old Witch and she didn't have as much patience as the women who lived several hundred years. Not by far. So, as she'd given Paige the scroll, she picked up one of the books she kept at hands reach, reaching about the Enclave she'd been reading.

A few pages later, Paige asked some questions, causing her head to rise. "Concentrate, focus on the goal and recite," she reminded her before shaking her head. "No actual gestures. Some Witches do but it's a force of habit, it's not really necessary. It might come to you at a later time but you shouldn't force anything. And no, no need to invoke not the spirits. The words will suffice." Her questions answered in perfect order as they had been asked, Katrine kept looking at the girl for a while longer, seeing her close her eyes.

She smiled at the sudden question. "Nothing will blow up, I promise. It's just a gentle breeze. You'll feel it." Katrine understood, sorta. Growing up, she didn't get as much time before she cast her first spell so it became pretty normal pretty soon but she was one of many questions so she understood the need for curiosity. "Chant. I promise it's going to be great. If it first it doesn't work, try again. Sometimes it's quick, sometimes it starts out small and you need to repeat to get it to work right all the way," she'd explained before encouraging her to get started: "You'll know as you chant. Go on. It's safe."

[member="Paige Blossom"]

"A-A-Alright. Just a chant."

Similarly to how she performed every force technique, her eyes fluttered closed. The pupils inside which taking a moment to adjust to the new environment before remaining completely still, lacking movement and seeming relaxed. Her arm lowered with the scroll still intact, allowing it to drop to her knee when at full length. Word by word escaped her lip, carrying some confidence with it that Paige didn't seem to possess before.

"Mother nature, all that is good, share with me your breath and bring forth the gentle breeze."

At first, nothing, the silence of the room only seemed to amplify for the Ming Po, though not daring to peek open one of her eyes as to lose concentration. Try again.

"Mother nature, all that is good, share with me your breath and bring forth the gentle breeze."

Again, nothing. There was still some anticipation in her voice, like she was holding something back. The next time however the letters escaped her mouth as smooth as silk.

The parchment immediately began to flutter in her hands and the atmosphere almost felt like there was a draft in the room, her arms shook a little and she went to cross them, though a small smile crossed her face afterwards.

Her head had lowered back to her book for a bit, letting [member="Paige Blossom"] study the spell. She could hear her speaking out the spell but she was well aware she couldn't hear much happening in the meantime, letting Katrine continuing reading.

It had taken the third chant for her to feel magic at work. Almost immediately, Katrine's eyes shot up, watching it begin. The scroll in the girl's hand began to respond to the breeze, making her smile. "Wonderful!" She'd cheerfully said as she put the book back on the table and moved over to her. "How'd it feel?" Katrine found herself asking. Not about the breeze, of course, but how it had felt casting her first spell though she didn't offer an explanation to what she was asking.

"You can keep that, it's yours," she pointed to the scroll. It was why she had been careful to write down the spell the way she had. "In our tradition, the first scroll from your Trial by Fire is passed down to your firstborn daughter. Or son, I suppose, but Witches say daughters always." Obviously, as the second daughter of her Mom, she hadn't gotten her first scroll. That had been Chloe's but Nona had made her own scroll which had been safely kept on her ship now. The tradition was important to Witches.

The Trial by Fire itself wasn't finished. There were several other spells that a first timer had to learn and usually, everything went in order before a test was done but Katrine wasn't a typical Witch, her head working out a plan for what would come next, her hand reaching for her own spellbook to flip through the pages, copying a few other spells to another scroll, though all of them together. This time, it was the Spell of Focus because she would need it to learn an advanced spell.

Mothers of Old, give me strength, give me a boost. Give me the power to overcome the struggle I am about to Face. I will overcome all with true power of the ancient way.

Then she'd continued bellow, writing down the Shield spell, intended to protect the castor.

May the Goddess hear me, may the sacred ancestors listen to my plea. Protect your blood, protect your children! Now!

Then finally, she'd scribbled down the spells that would help her guide fire. Both the one she could cast immediately, and one that would require her to use the Spell of Focus since it was a Spellweaver ability. All young Witches required to learn complicated spells from their beginning.

The fire that burns, mother nature’s domain. Let me be the guiding tool of the fire’s arrows!

The fire that burns, mother nature's domain. It is great power I require. Give me power over the flames, guide them where I am.

Once all four had been written, she had handed the new piece of parchment over to Paige. "The first spell is the Spell of Focus. You should always remember that one because you'll need it to use any more advanced spell. It gives you a boost, a temporary power since a spell of higher level can be dangerous if performed unprepared. Then, there is the Shield Spell," her finger pointed to the second one. "When you cast it, this energy will appear in front of you. It'll protect you from an attack temporarily. It's mostly colorless but there is a transparent shade that is unique to you." Glancing up at Paige, she wished to make sure she was with her on this. "Last two are the Arrows of Fire. The short one is basic. You can do that now but the arrows you cast will be aimless and won't get far. However, if you use the Spell of Focus and the more advanced version of it, you'll be able to aim them where you wish at about twenty feet range. A few may still have a mind of their own but it'll mostly go where you need them to go."

Looking around then, she took in how much space they had. They could make that happen in the right direction. She would, however, have to provide the fire to achieve. "Considering the Trial's requirements, I suggest you learn the Spell of Focus and the Arrow of Fire II. I'll provide the fire. Just focus your aim on the pathway but don't worry, we can put them out." It was the Trial by Fire after all and Katrine couldn't resist teaching her the more useful talents that a Witch could always use.

She'd wait again for Paige until she was gone through the first spell and was ready for the Arrows spell before she'd create the fire she needed. Her sparks wouldn't be strong, to begin with so the arrows themselves wouldn't be too strong to cause harm.

"I don't really know... different?" Shrugging her shoulders, appearing nonchalant but actually being quite proud of herself. It certainly felt different to anything she had done before, this time it didn't feel like she was controlling the power behind it, but rather she was simply requesting some other presence to do it for her. Ultimately, this made it much stronger than anything Paige could have accomplished on her own. "And I don't think that I'll be having children any time soon. I'm only 21."

Paige's eyes peered down to the sheet, one of her eyebrows raising upon seeing the set of phrases which looked to be increasingly intimidating in terms of what they required. She was proven correct as [member="Katrine Van-Derveld"] began to explain the 'spell focus', along with the aforementioned arrows of fire which she got a taste for earlier, assuming she actually wouldn't have to perform them given the violent nature that was suggested with the word 'fire'.

"Uh alright. Here I go, I suppose."

Paige grabbed the parchment, now with a multitude of spells on it. The Ming Po attempted to process the information which Katrine had given her, after which she began staring at the characters for what seemed like an indefinite amount of time, reciting each and every phrase several times over, afterwards nodding to the lupine and then beginning.

"May the Goddess hear me, give me strength, give me a boost. Give me the power to overcome the struggle I am about to face. I will overcome all with true power of the ancient way."

Immediately the air seemed calm, calmer than what it had been when she fired the arrows at least. She then motioned to the hallway, proceeding forward and preparing to recite the fire arrow spell.

"The fire that burns, mother nature's domain. It is great power I require. Give me power over the flames, guide them where I am."

Somewhere behind her a barrage of arrows began to motion forward, faint, almost appearing as an illusion though never striking Katrine of Paige. Her eyes widened as they traveled down the hallway, awaiting to be lit.

Her question sparked a question in response, Paige not knowing what she was referring to her when she'd asked how it had felt with the response different seeming a little unsure within in. "Might be different when you have a history with using powers," Katrine pondered. "When you cast your first spell as a child, never having done anything before, it feels like this energy washes over you. Like you're invincible." Katrine said, recalling her own Trial by Fire. "The thing that many don't get is that magic isn't really different from powers. It was brought to Dathomir by an exiled Jedi Knight. Witches began to chant because they couldn't access the Force the way the Jedi or Sith could and it has taken us a long time to break free of that." Nona had told her stories of her youth, the way older Witches of her time claimed it was impossible for a Witch to use the Force the way outsiders claimed but Nona had proved them wrong and continued teaching younger witches of what she had learned.

In a way, Katrine was continuing that, in believing she could cast spells in a language other than Paecean and she was sure it had everything to do with her understanding where the magic had come from, not convincing herself that they were absolutely different and separated. She'd been right and Paige was another proof of that.

Though Paige didn't think she'd have children anytime soon since she was only twenty-one. "So?" The blond asked point blank. "I got my scroll when I was four. They told me the same thing I just told you. It's not about when but instead a legacy," she explained. Admitedly, Katrine hadn't thought much of her age when she had been told. When her Mother had said those words to her, her eyes had gone wide. She could still remember the moment as her small mind wrapped aroujnd the idea that she too would have a daughter some day, just like her Mommy and Nona had. And like them, she'd be teaching a small wolf how to cast her first spell. It was kinda mindblowing.

With the other girl agreeing, Katrine had waited until she had cast the Spell of Focus, feeling the wave of power around her strongly, knowing full well she was ready. Her hands extended outward then, palming coming side by side as she stepped towards the hallway, beginning her own chant: "Sparks that burn, ignite. Sparks that ignite, come alive." The Witch herself concentrated as she chanted, the air above her palms moving faster, molecules combining until the sparks began to form, a small fire forming just above it. So, when Paige began to chant her Arrow of Fire spell, she had been prepared and waiting. With the boost the first spell had given the other girl, the flames inside her hand began to form and strike forward into the distance. A smile began to spread on her face as she watched, arrows forming clearly in her eyes. "That's great, Paige!" Katrine squeaked happily. The fire arrows flew their distance but because her spark was a weak flame to start with, they burned out at the contact with the ground, vanishing as if they weren't even there, with nothing but the occasional flicker of smoke in the air giving a faint idea of what had transpired there.

"You did it!" Katrine pointed out as her fists curled up, putting out the remainder of flames in her hand. "That was awesome. Once your progress though, you won't need that Spell of Focus but you may need for stronger spells. Or powers. We do on occasion use it for more advanced powers. The idea is the same," Katrine informed her. "If this was a formal Trial by Fire on Dathomir, the Witches would have you repeat all of this as part of the test. Someone would even disrupt your spells just to test it out. Usually, the parents and at least the Clan Mother are present. But I'm not going to do that 'cos it's just the two of us," she explained with a smile. "I will, however, ask if there is anything else you want to be able to do and if I can do that with either spell of power, I'll teach you."

[member="Paige Blossom"]

"Oh cool. I always assumed the chanting was just for aesthetic, but it serving a practical person actually makes sense." Rubbing her hand against her head. "I didn't get any of that invincibility though.. it's probably just me though."

"Oh no-- I mean, I'm insecure about my attractiveness that a boy would actually want to have children with me. People tell me I'm far too childish for my age, and I could just.. never see myself becoming a mother." Paige's shoulders shrugged slightly, though her rate of breathing lowering slightly as she recovered from casting the breeze. "It's scary to think that my own mother, whoever she was, was in the same position that we are in right now." The woman paused for a second laughing. "Sorry I get far too serious sometimes."

~

Breath escaped Paige's lungs as the arrows soared forward, igniting with Katrine's spell of fire. For a moment, brief albeit, a surging rush of power filled her veins, certainly nothing that she had experienced prior. Everything she had done before were usually harmless spells and powers designed to assist rather than destroy. As such, the difference in power and the effect on her psyche immediately afterwards was.. exciting.

While not being left breathless, her face looked visibly stunned as the fire went out and Katrine put out the remaining embers.

"Well that was... strange. I was expecting to be amazed but I'm.." she chuckled slightly, looking at the woman. Did she really just conjure arrows out of thin air? For a second, she ignored what Katrine was saying, not purposely of course. Her eyes blinked rapidly as her pupils darted rapidly around the room attempting to make sure she was still in reality. She even went to pinch her own thigh, her face screwing up as the receptors picked up the damage.

"Could you... give me a second?"

Was this what she wanted? After learning about her force powers she was certian she would only use them to benefit others, not cause harm to them. While she was still yet to actually do that, she was worried about the potential for a slippery slope.

"Could we do a... follow-up session? I don't think I'm in the right state of mind to learn... more."

She began stumbling down a corridor, not fast enough to be outside of Katrine's speaking volume and would return if called but clearly looking startled.

(OOC Note: Very sorry for the delay!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom