Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A New Beginning

Balmorra had been a success. Hadn't it? At least to her knowledge. The SSC prisoner had escaped, the One Sith base had even suffered significant damage. Though she had called them in, it had primarily been a Silver Sanctum Coalition operation, and she was not privy to the all the information coming from their command centers.

Officially Zylah Dvale was associated with the Jedi Order, but these days she felt distanced from it. Their interactions became fewer and fewer, and the times between each visit longer and longer. She was at this point more or less an unaffiliated Jedi Knight. She wouldn't call herself rogue, she had far from abandoned her Jedi ways, but she did feel like a free agent for better and for worse. As such, she had jumped onboard with the Silver forces when they left Balmorra behind. When they landed on Voss she had felt no immediate cause to leave.

This was her first time on Voss. It was a beautiful planet, inhabited by a people and culture unknown to her. She didn't know much about the place, aside from it's role to the SSC. Zylah decided that considering that, the only right thing to do was to visit the Jedi Temple. She was dressed the part. On Balmorra she had worn the black robes of the Sith. They had been useful for the infiltration part, but beyond that she didn't want them. She had left them behind. The pale and blue-eyed Arkanian-Human Offshoot still had her light brown and beige tunics, looking decidedly like a Jedi. Her trusted lightsaber with its elongated hilt rested safely attached to her belt.

Zylah's interactions with the Silvers had been minimal. She remembered when the Republic had been forced to withdraw from roughly half their worlds, leaving the Jedi temple on Ossus behind. The Silvers had taken over protection of the planet and the temple, something which had been a great relief to Zylah. She had been present for that exchange, and seen enough to know that they were all Jedi here. Even so, she felt foreign as she walked the steps up to the temple. The one soothing feeling was the comforting and judgement free presence of the uncorrupted Force.

[member="Connor Harrison"]

Navy blue tunic sleeves rolled up, cowl discarded in his quarters, Connor Harrison hopped down the large winding staircase of the Silver Lobby, tapping a set of tools on his side. The final touches were being made to his new helmet for his new armour, something being kept secret from many of those around. It was a personal project and one that would hopefully continue to turn the tide against the Sith when in battle.

He slowed a little as a number of faces walked through the large double open doors. Some panned out and made their way up past Connor, a few milled around and a couple continued into the passageways beyond. Stopping, folding his arms and leaning on the thick handrail, the Jedi Master watched the troupe come through. Not the typical look of new recruits, because there were faces he recognised but a few he didn't. He knew a few select Jedi and Rangers had been off-world searching for the missing Joza Perl. This must be the party.

One girl, striking looks and standing out from the rest to the rear, stood out as a clear outsider. A very respectable looking Jedi. Standing with confidence but no arrogance. Obviously cut from the Republic cloth. He smirked a tiny bit at a memory surfacing in his mind.

With a couple more steps, he cocked his head to catch her eye, as she was trying to look at nothing and be polite to the new surroundings and people.

"Excuse me," he said, full of energy, "can I help you? You're not from around here, are you?

[member="Zylah Dvale"]

Zylah watched as the groups entered into the temple. She followed the stream, but at a slower pace. Everyone had a place to go. They knew exactly what to do. They seemed so at ease. The past few days had been an intense trial, but now they were home. It had been long since she had felt like that. It was a familiar feeling, pleasing to witness, yet she felt like she was seeing a vision through someone else's eyes. She did not feel grounded in the present. The closest she got to it these days was perhaps whenever her path took her to one of the Kenobi-class Praxeum ships. It wasn't the beauty of the golden-plated floating academy that captured her (though it was an impressive and breathtaking sight to behold), but the beauty of her memories of the place. Corvus had started taking her there in the time before she reached knighthood.

Truly, she had been lost in thought. She had almost not noticed Connor as he walked down the steps, trying to get contact. He caught her eye eventually, the energy of his voice snapping her out of it. She smiled. She was glad someone talked to her. It made this a whole less awkward. She wasn't simply watching the place, now she was interacting.

"I am not" she replied in a calm, friendly tone. Usually this would be where someone would say where they were from, but Zylah found herself at a loss as to what answer to give. "I'm Zylah Dvale, Jedi Knight of the Jedi Order" she supposed. It was the closest she came to an appropriate answer, in her mind. Her body turned slightly to face him more directly, and she also took a few steps in his direction. "I just returned from a mission together with some of your people. I realized I never actually visited one of the temples of your Order. Now seemed like the perfect time to change that" she explained, still maintaining a polite smile.

With a gentle nod, Connor smiled and extended his arms outwards to the side.

"Connor Harrison, Master of the Silver Jedi. Welcome to Voss, and in turn welcome to the Silver Sanctum."

Then he folded his arms, gently toying with the small beard upon his chin.

"You were involved in the search for Joza Perl? I heard the coordination of that went smoothly, and I trust everything went according to plan. Word is she is with our people now, so thank you for your assistance."

Stepping down onto the level ground, he indicated with his hand to lead Zylah a little more into the vast lobby.

"The Jedi Order, based out of the Republic, right? If you are here for a while Miss Dvale, then I’m happy to show you around our little corner of the galaxy."

[member="Zylah Dvale"]

Jedi Master. That made sense to her. He looked like a Master, still in his prime. "Thank you, Master Harrison" she replied with a little nod of the head. The days where she had approached the Jedi Masters with pangs of anxiety, wrapped within an overdose of formality, while terrified of infringing upon their time and being a bother were over. She had grown. Now she was a Jedi in her own right, although today she almost felt more like an ambassador meeting with a foreign dignitary.

"I was!" Ah, so he was familiar with the mission. Suppose that shouldn't surprise her. "I was the one who called you guys in. And I'm glad to hear she's safe. Always happy to help" It was good to get that final confirmation that Joza Perl was with her own people. No one should be shackled to the chains of the Sith. They did not treat their prisoners as fairly as Jedi did.

Zylah didn't hesitate when Connor took the leading role, offering to guide her somewhere. She would be happy to see more of this place. It would be a whole lot more informative when guided by one of their very own Jedi Masters. She followed in step and walked with him.

"That's very kind of you. I've made no plans yet. I would love to see more of this place." she accepted his offer with a smile. She felt very formal, which was typical for her when she met new people. It took her some time warming up. "Please, call me Zylah" she said in an effort to remedy that. They were all friends here. Or, at the very least allies.

Zylah paused for a moment before getting to the part of his question that tied her to the Republic. It was a clash she had run through her mind several times over, though recently it had taken on a new twist. "It used to be. The Jedi Order separated itself from the Republic. They have been operating independently of each other since." That was still the status quo, right? What the Council was up to these days, she didn't truly know. Not since Corvus no longer held the title Grandmaster. In truth, she had often felt more loyal to Corvus than the Republic itself. When she was gone leaving had been an easy thing. But had it been the right thing?

Zylah had left the Republic. In fact she had felt driven away, but it had ultimately been her choice. "Whatever their ties may have been or currently are, I am not of the Republic anymore." At the time she had thought supporting the Republic and being a Jedi were two positions that were mutually exclusive. In her eyes, the Republic was becoming the very thing they once swore to defend their worlds against. But had the Republic abandoned its way, or had Zylah abandoned them in their hour of need? Should she have stayed and fought for the Republic she once loved?

"I suppose I'm more of an independent contractor these days"

Listening to her, Connor moved the tools on his waist to the side, out of the way, and walked beside her, slightly ahead to lead them through the main passageway of the Temple. Laced with silver and blue, the passageway broke off into different areas, different lobbies and teasing stairs and turbolifts leading up and down into the heart of their Order.

For a stranger to the planet and the Order, Connor led Zylah through a good minutes’ walk to the open doors at the rear of the temple and leading to the gardens. He brought all visitors here first for it was a peaceful place, expansive and allowed privacy if required and freedom from the four walls.

Far ahead, along a white stone path was the Garden Of Remembrance. To the left, under the shadow of large trees, the Isolated Gardens that held dark memories for Connor. To the right, the orchards and winding hedges you could lose yourself in for hours. All surrounded by small babbling brooks, pruned hedges and trees and flowers, a few water features dotted around and, at the very edge, a stunning view over Voss from above, with raging waterfalls flowing out from beneath the Temple itself.

terrace-IMG_3289_800_600.JPG

A perfect place to walk and talk and get to know the other.

"I see, that makes sense. I can’t claim at all to know what the Republic is doing, but last I heard it was collapsing in on itself. And like yourself, I knew Jedi who distanced themselves or found it hard to be part of something they struggled to believe in."

He rolled his tongue around his mouth and sidled down the ivory steps to the gravel path. Remembering to go at a slower pace to allow the stranger to take the gardens in, he clasped his hands behind his back.

"Thank you for calling us to help Joza. It shows a great noble strength, and you will have made strong ties with the Silvers for it." Connor turned his head. "Are you here to find your way into our Order at all, or am I assuming too much by you being here?"

[member="Zylah Dvale"]

It was a good thing that Master Harrison maintain a slow pace. There was so much to look at! It truly was a magnificent place. It was hard to imagine that corruption could take root in a place such as this. She felt at times like she was a poor guest. The scenery distracted her from conversation, and her eyes often darted to the side and lingered on arches, impressive decorations of silver and blue, and the inviting nature. An image appeared in the back of her mind; Zylah slowly demonstrating the sequences of Form IV while two Padawans watched and tried to mimic her with their training sabers. It brought a warm smile on her lips.

"Right?" Zylah laughed lightly when Connor said he didn't know what the Republic was doing, though she felt a little bad afterwards, considering the lives that had been lost because of just that. "I hardly know myself." she admitted, even though she had been on the inside of it. But that was in the past. "That sounds accurate. The Jedi were never protectors of the Republic, but guardians of liberty, keepers of peace." Zylah looked over at Connor with a smile reminiscent of the times when that had been the case for the Republic as well. "When the Republic broke away from those ideals, it became an entity impossible for me to support. Jedi are guardians of civilization, yet do not allow civilization to destroy needlessly." she finished, explaining her position on the matter. It was interesting to air such thoughts in front of an outsider, yet someone who presumably adhered to the same ideals as her. Although she did not feel free from blame. "Leaving the Republic was the right thing to do. But in doing so, did I forsake the people?" the civilians were innocent. They were the ones in need of protection from oppression and terror. It wasn't really a question she needed an answer to, it could be rhetorical or not depending on Connor.

When they finally reached the edge, she found it breathtaking. The combination of the view of Voss from above together with the waterfalls had her gasp out loud. It wouldn't be hard for Connor to tell that she was impressed by their location. "Of course. It was the right thing to do" she said with a smile, taking no personal credit for calling in the SSC to help Joza. It had been her duty, and to forsake it would be shameful.

When Connor asked if she was considering making her stay here more permanent, she looked at him with a kind of distant smile that was difficult to read. There was a long pause before she finally said "I don't know" she was smiling still, though now it almost looked a little sad. It felt like the most open and honest thing she had said during their conversation. It made her feel vulnerable. Was there a place for her here? By the Force it was beautiful. Like the Light Side itself, it seemed incorruptible and pure. "Is that even an option?" she asked, eyes examining Connor's features. Some sense of belonging and peace of mind would feel great, she couldn't deny that. If it was something on the table it was certainly something to consider.

Connor smiled as he clocked her reaction to the gardens; it was his favourite place in the Temple, bar his personal quarters. It was the perfect place to hide away from everything and everyone but still feel so in touch with everything and everyone at the same time.

"Well, first, you didn’t forsake anyone doing what you did. Only you matter in the grand scheme of things. Selfish, I know, coming from a Jedi, but it’s the hard truth. If you stay somewhere because you feel you are tied there, you will never really be you doing that role. You’ll be a slave to the system. And, as I’ve seen, when one Jedi leaves, two more appear to take their place. You did what’s right for you, and you’re better for it."

He went right, which would take them on a leisurely stroll along a white stoned path besides low hedges and flanked by the appearance of Master Maya Whitelight’s orchard, with fruit trees growing on either side.

"Second, of course you can find yourself here. We’ve come a long way from a small group of wayward Jedi Knights and Masters building a temple for sanctuary, and you could reside anywhere in the galaxy and still be a Silver at heart if you wanted to. Or you can reside here, as I do. You can be who you want to be here Zylah, but like I said, only if your heart lets you. Don’t lie to it, and don’t feel you have to do anything to please others."

Connor nodded to signal his end, and looked down to the ground as they walked, his left hand reaching out to caress the green hedges he passed, like a starfighter skimming over water. Maybe he had been a little blunt in what to say, with little of that trademark Jedi sugar-coated peace and tranquillity to welcome a new Knight or Master or Padawan. But, then, Connor wasn’t sugar-coated; he was as you saw, and didn’t really care who he may hurt or offend in the process of being what the galaxy struggled with; being honest and realistic.

[member="Zylah Dvale"]

She had smiled weakly when he said she hadn't forsaken anyone. It was a nice thing to hear from someone else of integrity, although she imagined it was a debate she would have to take up with herself a few more times. Dwelling on the past did her little good, but it was through the failures of the past one grew stronger and more resolute. If she had failed she didn't want it to be in vain, at the very least she could learn something from it.

Her eyes followed him closely as Connor continued. At first she hadn't been sure where he was going with it, but as he kept on it was making more sense and she admitted so with a slow nod of the head. "Suppose that's true. There's always somewhere in the galaxy that needs a Jedi. If not in the Republic, some other system elsewhere is suffering." she said, with a kind of feint smile as she was coming to terms with the fact that there were not really any right or wrong choices. There would be pros and cons to every decision. "While away from the Republic I have helped others. I never stopped being a Jedi. Wherever we are, we can always do some good. And I believe you're more effective when protecting something you truly believe in." she concluded, the feint smile growing a little wider as she realized that Connor might have helped her but that inner conflict to rest. "Thank you, Master Harrison."

Their stroll continued, and Zylah felt compelled to snatch a fruit from the trees growing on either side, but she did not dare. Again she listened. This time there was no unspoken tragedy hiding behind her smile. It was genuine. "Sanctuary" she repeated the word in a whisper, almost more for herself than him. "How appropriate" in many ways, it was exactly the thing she needed, it was precisely the thing her sub-conscious had been seeking. For a moment she turned her back to Connor, as she took a slow spin to once more take in the view of this location. "I like this place" she said when her little pirouette came to an end.

"My heart? It's saying you should stay here a little longer." she smiled as if she had just told a joke. Eventually the grew into a mild laugh. This was not what she had expected at all when she had bumped into Master Harrison. Was she really doing this? It seemed she just had. "I'll stay then." You're a good talker, Master Harrison. Or perhaps I never really needed much persuasion

Connor came to a stop under the trees and looked up. Her desire for one was evident.

"Help yourself. Plenty for everyone."

He smiled at her and let her explore the surrounding fruit trees as he looked out across the gardens. A couple of young Jedi passed by in conversation.

"Welcome to our side of the galaxy then, Zylah. We’ve come a long way from how it was nearly over a decade ago. We have facilities underground that spread way beyond the Temple itself, we have outposts across each Sanctum held planet that act as our eyes and ears. While the politics may change internally with people coming and going, I tend to ignore that side of things and stand more alone than I did before. But that’s natural I guess."

He wasn’t going to get all morbid on this stranger to their shore, not yet. She was positive, and had a nice aura to her that was out to do good; to listen, to learn and do what was right. Typical Republic Jedi. Connor chewed his lip gently, and turned on his heel.

"I can’t say I know how you were taught in the Republic or Jedi Order, I haven’t really interacted much with them, safe a few faces over the years. So I’ll ask you a question I always like to ask people who come here, and I’ll ask you just for an honest answer, between you and me."

He shifted slightly.

"Who do you want to be in the galaxy, and what do you want to do to achieve that. And there is no right or wrong answer to me; just an honest one."

[member="Zylah Dvale"]

Zylah looked at him with an almost childish grin. Yees. Free fruit. Once given permission she didn't hesitate, but walked over. She had to get up on her toes and reach, but the tip of her fingers managed to nick one. It looked perfectly ripe. "Do you want one?" she asked while taking a bite into it. Immediately after her expression changed and she seemed to have forgotten all about her question. "This is so good" she mumbled, partially with a mouth still filled with the juicy fruit.

Zylah walked among the trees, still finding the scenery as beautiful as before. She could imagine being lost in meditation here. The more she thought about staying, the harder of a time she had with keeping back a smile. "Thank you, Master Harrison" she said, her eyes smiling as she looked at him from over her shoulder. Turning around to face him more directly, she laughed. Although Connor likely hadn't intended it to be funny, it was the comment about ignoring the politics that had set her off. "That sounds really good to me. I think I will follow your example" she would adhere to the Jedi Code and let Voss be her sanctuary. More than that would not be required.

Her mood seemed to have improved, or at the very least she had allowed more of her character to slip through the cracks of stern and stoic Jedi who always behaved like a professional. Her expression took on a more serious tone, and she nodded slowly. Not because he had said anything grim or that her mood changed, she simply wanted to take his question seriously. "Despite what I've said about the Republic, I was trained well. I was trained by Jedi" she felt like it needed to be said, though she made sure to make the distinction between Republic and Jedi. When her career as a Padawan had first started, all had been well. She wouldn't dismiss the merits of the past because of the failures of the present.

"I want to be a Jedi. A shield of the Light Side, a guardian of liberty and equality. I want to be a force for good" she gave her answer, after some consideration. "I realize there's not much room for a 'Zylah' in that, outside of a profession. But it is not about what I want, but what I can do. I serve the Light Side. The Force will do with me what it pleases." in a way, she sacrificed her own individuality to preserve that of others. If her life was lost in an effort to stem the tide of darkness, then that was how it was. Would she have been happier if she could retire to some planet, become a farmer, start a family? Perhaps. But that wasn't for her. However, she would fight to allow people to be that. With that in mind, it was likely she could never find happiness in doing anything but this.

"I want to live up to the ideals of my Master, follow in her footsteps. Not in becoming Grandmaster, or anything like that... Just, a good Jedi. She inspires me still. I want to make her proud of what I've become." Suppose the feeling was similar to that of any child, wanting to make their parents proud.

The Jedi squinted slightly against the sunlight beaming through the trees, reflecting up of the small bubbling stream beside them running around the large Temple wall. He just smiled at her enjoyment of the fruit; he’d sample them many times in his years here.

Watching Zylah, Connor listened and all the while she spoke, her attitude reminded him of Corvus. He’d met many Jedi since she had gone AWOL, each with their own views and attitudes. However, Zylah voiced a selfless submission to the Light, and the Force. She placed herself in the will of the Force, as Corvus always did, and there was a hint of self-scathing in there.

He cocked his head slightly, listening intently and piecing together what he envisioned of her. And when she confirmed she wanted to live up to her Master, in terms of ability, not status, he exhaled softly.

Looking away, he nodded at her answer. It was just right.

"Please, call me Connor. Master is just a rank I probably don’t deserve."

Watching a low flying cargo ship in the distance slink across the mountains towards Voss-ka, Connor pursed his lips and turned to the bright-eyed Jedi.

"I envisage myself as a sword of the Light; an instrument to cut away the darkness so the light can find its way through. I’d say a sword and shield make a pretty good start in taking back our galaxy. And correct me if I am wrong, but your answer to my question sounded like one born from teachings by Corvus Raaf, am I right?"

[member="Zylah Dvale"]

"It would appear your council disagrees with you on that, Connor" she said with a smile. If they had deemed him worthy of the title Master, she imagined it was just right. He behaved like one, and she could easily imagine him becoming the calm storm that swept away the Dark on the frontlines. "Speaking of... How do things work here? Do you have a council?" Maybe they had one leader, maybe they had many. Maybe they rotated, or maybe it mirrored the Jedi Order.

When Connor continued, describing himself as the Sword of the Light her smile widened. She almost laughed again. Not because anything he said was laughable, but because it was right and an amusing coincidence. "It would appear this meeting was fated. Sword and Shield. Yes. The Sith better watch out" she added a wink to the end of that. Although a shield, her approach to combat was rather fast paced and aggressive. Yet her mentality was defensive. She had been taught to protect.

When he mentioned the name of Corvus Raaf her ears perked up. It wasn't a name she heard often these days. Zylah would never forget it, nor did she think any Jedi should. It wasn't surprising that they had heard of her over here as well, but from the way Connor seemed able to identify her teachings it seemed as if he knew her through more than just reputation. "Yes. Corvus was my Master." Corvy. Lady C. Corvalicious. Corvmuffin.

"You knew her too?" the words were phrased almost equally as a question and a statement. She believed he did, but she wanted to know more

On confirmation Corvus was Zylah’s Master, his stomach dropped a little. Not out of fear or anything like that, but the strange fact another link to the absent Jedi Master had appeared before him. A galaxy full of Jedi and Orders, and yet Corvus’s underling finds her way to the very gates they had met years before when her ship crash landed on the outskirts.

"Ah," he said, a little distracted, "yes we have a Council. I used to be on it, I’m not anymore. Masters and Knights make it up, and we have a Grandmaster, Thurion, who oversees everything. Before that we were founded by a Grandmaster, Iella E’ron, who was sadly taken from us far too soon."

Before she could say anything, he turned, head shaking and little and a wry smile on his face, moving the point he wanted to talk about most.

"Sorry, so you studied under Corvus? I knew it. You have that rigid belief in the Jedi and the Force about you that only a Raaf could drill into someone. Safe to say, I know you had the perfect Master to embody all there is about the Light."

The two drifted along the garden, but he didn’t look where, he just subconsciously followed the white gravel path wherever it took them.

"I did know her, yes. For many years. She came to Voss when her ship malfunctioned and blew an engine. Crash landed a little outside the boundaries, and I brought her in and we went from there. We took down a Krayt dragon together, explored Sith tombs, forged alliances with the Jedi Order and Silvers, and just had a quirky alliance together where if she needed me, I’d be there."

Connor omitted the more…embarrassing parts of the affairs of the heart.

"Did she ever mention me at all, or the Silvers?"

He sounded a little like a love-struck kid again, but followed up quickly so not to sounded even MORE desperate to hear if she genuinely favoured him outside of the duty of the Jedi.

[member="Zylah Dvale"]

Zylah picked up on him sounding a little distracted, but thought at first it had to do about him no longer being on the Council. She was tempted to ask, but decided against it. Another time. She had no right to that information, and she did not feel familiar enough to start ripping up potential old scars. "Ah, I see." she said instead with a nod, listening diplomatically about the brief history of Silver Grandmasters. She thought she had heard the name Thurion before, perhaps on some datapad or mentioned in passing, but she couldn't place it.

She didn't have time to say anything else before the topic switched back to Corvus. It was convenient for Zylah, the risk of stepping on toes here seemed much smaller. What he said next made her laugh. It could easily be read both ways, but she decided to take it as a compliment. To her it was, at any rate. She was proud to be associated with the rank of Republic Jedi ala Corvus. Times had since changed, but Corvus represented the good times, at least for Zylah. "Yes, I suppose she has unavoidably rubbed off on me. I consider that fortunate." she said with an almost playful smile. She couldn't help but wonder how his philosophies aligned with those of Corvus.

Again, Zylah laughed. "Corvus and crashed ships... Yeah, that sounds about right." she meant no offence by it, Corvus was a fantastic pilot. However she somehow managed to end up in situations that left her with a downed ship. "Wow" she added when he mentioned the Krayt dragon, but she didn't interrupt. The more he told the more fascinated she seemed. There was something exciting about hearing stories about those who mattered to you, after they were no longer around to share them themselves. "Sounds like you had a lot of fun" she smiled. In that moment she missed her more, and it showed, though she quickly tried to cover it up.

When he asked that final question, Zylah could tell what answer he wanted. Should she lie? No. That wasn't her way. There was no malice in truth. "I don't recall that, I'm afraid. We didn't discuss politics or the Silvers. I was but a student. Actually, I haven't seen Corvus since she knighted me." There was a sadness in her tone and expression she found hard to cover up. She had nothing but fond memories, but it was the fact that it was only the memories she was left with that was getting to her. Zylah tried to distance herself from her emotions. Her mind needed to be clear, she did not want her perceptions or responses to be first sent through that filter.

Connor looked at Zylah and nodded with a faint smile on his lips. He wasn’t disappointed, and not surprised. Corvus was always focused on the job in hand and the duty of the Jedi she carried and passed to others.

"I wouldn’t expect anything more to be honest with her. I admit her disappearance is unexpected, sudden and out of character but if I know Corvus, she will be back. She would miss the drama too much."

Without thinking, he reached out and placed a reassuring hand on the smaller Jedi’s shoulder.

"I consider Corvus a close friend, and thus any Padawan of hers is also a friend, and so if you need help or guidance at any time, I’m happy to help you. She’d probably warn you away from me, but she’s not her to do that, so it’s tough."

He smiled and shook her gently before letting go. Connor then indicated forward and carried on at a gentle pace to follow the steam around the rear of the garden, noting the mountains in the far distance which highlighted how high up they were without really knowing unless reminded.

"Is your training complete, Zyah? I’d hate to think you feel empty with Corvus not here."

[member="Zylah Dvale"]

Zylah had to laugh at his words. "I hope you're right, Connor" she really did. They didn't need to say it, but it was clear that both of them missed her. For some reason she felt like she got a little closer to him because of that. They shared that feeling. They shared that friend. And similar to what he told her, someone Corvus considered a friend was probably someone Zylah would be inclined to get along well with as well.

"I really appreciate that." she said with a smile, some of the sadness fading from her expression with his hand on her shoulder. At least there was something positive to come out of this. Again, Connor made Zylah laugh when he told her Corvus would probably warned her about him. "Oh? And why would she have done that, Master Harrison?" she said playfully, calling him by a formal name for added effect. All she could think of was that he either secretly was a Sith Lord or a bit of a ladies Jediman.

Zylah followed his cue as he began walking, taking her further down the beautiful scenery that Voss never seemed to run out of. How could one ever feel anything but at ease here? "Is a Jedi's training ever complete?" she returned with a question of her own and a smile. "Far from it, I think. I've been on my own since I got knighted. There is much I still don't understand" in other words, she'd received no guidance or training since then, save for the one she had given herself. In truth, she had felt a little empty without Corvus around, but in a weird way it felt like she had never left, like she was always with her. "Why? Are you offering to pick up where she left off?" her tone was as light as before, even a little playful. She felt relaxed and easy-going, and wanted to signal that she wouldn't take offence if she had misinterpreted his intentions.

Hiding a smirk, Connor raised his chin up, pursing his lips and stroked the stubble under his chin where his beard ended. There was so much to talk about regarding his truncated past with Corvus, and the incidents that led him to the edge and back.

"Ask me again sometime."

He smiled and hopped up onto the paved stone that ran along the side of the steam which would lead to the edge of the far garden where the water cascaded over and joined with the flowing water from the earth below and formed a mighty waterfall. Below the waterfall, behind the safety of the metal fencing, a training ground could be seen far down with a few figures moving around and training sabers whizzing and whirling in mock combat.

The South of Voss was now open to them in the distance; cargo ships passing to Voss-ka, the mountains touching the sky and the passenger ships and transports flying up above on their own private business.

"I think you reach a point where nobody can really teach you more than you know. However, learning never stops. You then teach yourself through your own experiences, your own understandings and your own adventures. Not that we should class this as an adventure, but what else is it? Really?"

He looked down at his feet as he walked slowly.

"If you looked at a pole representing the Jedi spectrum, Corvus would be here," he held his hand out high. "Now, look for me and," his hand fell down low, "you’ll see a big gap."

The Master looked at the Knight.

"I’m not adverse to helping you progress, if you’d like? It’s the least I could do to help someone who Corvus had faith in to follow in her footsteps. You’ll just have to wear my boots to do it in for a while."

He couldn’t hide that smirk that followed. It was nice talking to someone openly again; nobody in the Sanctum seemed to have much time for him these days. But his heart skipped a little and a breath escaped his lips. Following the fate of those like Dagos, Syala, Chastity and recently Setzi, if he helped Zylah, would she suffer the curse of Connor Harrison too?

[member="Zylah Dvale"]

"I will" she said while returning the smile.

That was assuming she remembered, of course. As before Zylah followed him further into the Silver gardens. The beauty of it all never seized to amaze her. There was always something to look at. Something pretty, something new. The Pale Knight moved as close to the edge as she dared, staring down the waterfall. She could make out the shape of some figures practising. Zylah made a mental note of the location. Training by a waterfall seemed very soothing. Maybe she could finish a nice training session with a swim too.

"That's true." Zylah nodded, agreeing with what he said. Had she reached that point? In some areas, perhaps. It was like Corvus had told her too, she could only offer her the basics, the formula. It was up to the learner to practice it, perfect it. "Mastery only comes with time and dedication." and the latter could only come from within.

She smiled when he compared himself and Corvus on the Jedi spectrum. She gave a chuckle. "And you'll probably find me right here." Zylah stepped in to place her hand right beneath the one he held out high. She imagined her ideals and values were very similar to those of her Master, as was natural. "I wonder what creates that big difference" she mused as she took a step back and withdrew her hand. She left it free for him to fill in if he wanted, though she would not push the issue.

"That sounds nice" Zylah admitted with a smile. Her eyes dropped to his feet, examining his boots. "I think they are a few sizes too big for me. But I will do my best" she looked up at him with a slightly playful smile. She understood what he meant, though she found it more amusing to take it in a more literal sense.

"Knowledge comes from many sources. The more input you get from different perspectives, the wider your horizons become. To reject them simply because they are different to your values is to throw away a valuable resource." she said, as if to let him know that any gap between them would not trouble her. She respected his views. As Corvus' friend, that was the least she could. That is of course to say, unless he was secretly a Sith Lord. That would be less than ideal. "Values grow with us in time. It's not a process to be forcefully halted. I trust my future self to make the right decisions." she concluded.

"Be careful, Zylah. You're sounding more and more like Corvus with each Jedi-fulled statement."

Leaning to and fro on the metal railing, he tensed and relaxed his grip with each push and pull.

"That's not a bad thing of course, but, if I may give you some advice which Corvus only took to heart when it was too late and, I feel, misplaced, is don't let the Force or the Jedi take away what makes you human. Retain that, and don't sell your soul to something that will only trap it until you have nothing else to live for."

Connor knew that was a bit harsh, but it was true, and he only dealt in absolutes. No mixing words. He looked over the edge a little more, remembering those moments when he thought if he jumped, would he be able to fly? He wasn't going to try it, not anytime soon. He turned to the pale Jedi.

"I like your aura. It's pure. It's refreshing, and I can only feel good from your intentions. Can you tell me a bit about what led you here? As in, how you found the path you're walking on? Where you're from? It's not a trick question, don't worry - I just like to understand those I will be helping."

[member="Zylah Dvale"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom