Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A Moment of Sincerity

: The Royal Academy of Bastion :
: Giving condolences :
:
Growing Up :
: Quinn Varanin Quinn Varanin :

Sylvia had hoped she never had to come back to Bastion, not to mention the academy, but life was rarely cooperative. There were courses that Allyson had deemed to be important for the magenta-haired girl to take and she here she was once more, even if only for a week or two. Memories, both good and bad, lived in these hallways but she really could've gone without ever reliving any of them ever again. At least she wasn't going to be entirely alone, knowing the little group that had mainly formed around Quinn was still around. Sylvia had been pulled into it somewhat after Ellie's departure, saving her from being completely alone. She was wildly different from all of them, but unlike nearly every one else they didn't despise her, or at least they didn't openly show it.

That didn't mean Quinn never showed incredible annoyance towards Sylvia's actions, though. Sylvia often pushed the echani's buttons over the latter's tendencies she could only assume came natural to a princess, and while calling it a pastime was going a little far she very much enjoyed it and did it on a regular basis. Today, however, on her first day back, the reason why she wanted to speak to Quinn was very different. As she made her way through the halls, on her way to the dormitories, she typed away on the device in her hands. A message, and Quinn was to be the recipient. Sylvia rounded a corner, then walked past her own old dorm before completing and sending it.

: We need to talk. Meet me at your dorm, I am on my way right now. :
Instead of a message filled with abbreviations and a lack of punctuation, Quinn would receive one that was much more serious. That wasn't without reason, either- Sylvia was being serious. Scouring the holonet while she was gone with Allyson led her to find out about the ultimate fate of the once queen of Eshan. Suddenly all of her plans to get under Quinn's skin she had made were forgotten about, and instead of her nonchalant attitude she was inches away from demanding to speak with the echani. Even if this was the only serious conversation they would ever have between themselves.

Sylvia arrived at Quinn's dorm and promptly knocked on her door, even though she wasn't sure if Quinn was even in there. She took a step back, and waited. Her expression was one of solemnity, a far cry from the smug grin she often put up around the echani. Even if Quinn was quite often near-insufferable, she was still a living, breathing person who deserved to have people who cared about her.

4bfdcf8cce648a2e9eac12dee441d61418944fd4.png

//: Unlikely Support //:
//: Sylvia Virtos Sylvia Virtos //:
c5327e896b5239f4acc801e919aa9af95112f846.png
Quinn had kept herself busy; it was easier that way than to focus on what was happening. It felt every corner of the galaxy had heard about her mother. People she didn’t know sent her messages of condolences and offered her favors. It was funny how people she had never heard of came out of the woodworks to say something to her. Maybe it made their consciences feel better, but knowing that it was self-serving only made the Echani irritated.

This particular day she was already annoyed with the messages from some of the government officials who had worked with Spencer while she was the Monarch. They didn’t bother to come to the funeral to pay their respects. Instead, they sent letters telling her how amazing her mother was. A reminder that she might never live to hold a candle to her mother’s greatness. Not only did she have to suffer her mother’s legacy, but she had Papa as well. Wandering the halls of the academy, she was reminded with the glorious conquests of Darth Desmius, conqueror of ten-thousand worlds.

Professors confused as to why she didn’t know her Papa’s military strategies by heart or questioned them knowing there was a better way than her Papa could have done something. She was trained at a young age to think like the woman, but she was still allowed to formulate her own strategies. More than once, she had beaten the woman at her own game. Today, in particular, she was lectured on both her parents and how Desmius came to power.

The small trill of her comm echoed, and she looked down to see it was from Sylvia. Her frown grew as she figured it was something smart assed teasing her that she wasn’t able to leave Bastion for good anytime soon. Her Master did promise it was happening soon, but not fast enough. Quinn opened the message and raised an eyebrow. “When did sparkle head learn how to spell all those words?” Quinn spoke under her breath before replying quickly to let her know that she’d be in her room.

Not seeing magenta brain anywhere close by, Quinn figured she had beat the girl to the dorms. She opened her door and left it unlocked, quickly she picked up small articles of clothing, some not hers, and stuffed them aside. Arms crossed, and the Echani waited. The knock came, and the door swung open to allow Sylvia into the room.

Already Quinn was ready to defend herself, it seemed that’s what she was doing for most of the day, why not continue her streak. “What did you need to talk about?” Despite the frustrated look on her face and the makeup she used to cover up, the redness in her eyes lingered. Sleep wasn’t easy, and Quinn found herself crying herself to sleep most nights.

“If its something rude, please keep it to yourself, I’m not in any mood to entertain your sarcasm today Sylvia.”

Last edited:
The door opened to reveal Quinn waiting for her, and she didn't look well. Sylvia couldn't exactly place it but it wasn't surprising considering what had happened, so she could at least trace it back to a reason why. She shuffled her way inside and carefully closed the door behind her as Quinn asked why she wanted to talk to her, but before the magenta-haired woman could answer the echani elaborated a bit further. Sylvia wasn't at all in the mood to be antagonistic, though. Grieving was difficult enough without anyone trying to get under your skin and despite their many differences, Sylvia still wanted to support her in what without a doubt was a difficult time.

"Quinn..." Sylvia began, her voice sounding much softer than it had ever sounded around the echani. She had to take a moment to figure out how to say what she wanted to say, but after a short moment of silence she continued. "I read about what happened." There was no need to elaborate on what event she was talking about, and so she didn't. It still felt a little awkward, with how their interactions generally tended to go, but the woman pushed on regardless.

"I just... I wanted to say that I'm sorry for your loss." Sylvia swallowed, feeling a rush of words building up in her head. "I was going to just message you, but that felt wrong. I didn't want to waste your time, you probably get flooded with condolences anyway, but I couldn't just stay silent." She managed to keep her tangent under control before it went on too long, but there was another thing she simply couldn't keep to herself.

"It must fething suck. If that even comes close to describing it." Sylvia was keenly aware of the void one's heart had without a parental figure in one's life. She had never known her own and the question of where she came from ever lingered in her mind. It was something she wouldn't wish upon her worst enemy. "I could say a million more things, but it would be pointless." A sigh escaped her lips. "So, yeah. I, uh, just wanted to tell you that."

4bfdcf8cce648a2e9eac12dee441d61418944fd4.png

//: Unlikely Support //:
//: Sylvia Virtos Sylvia Virtos //:
c5327e896b5239f4acc801e919aa9af95112f846.png
As she finished snapping at the Technomancer, Quinn instantly felt terrible. It wasn’t Sylvia’s fault that she was in a bad mood, and it wasn’t her fault her mother died. Still, Quinn just wanted to be left alone, she wanted to just sit on her bed and cry. It was the only thing she could do right now, unlike anything else that could bring her mother back. Anger and frustration fueled her through the days, and sadness came at night, it wasn’t fair - but this was war.
Her mother chose a side to fight on, and it went and got her killed. Cursing the whole thing, she felt this deep-seated hate towards the New Imperials. If they hadn’t started their petty war than her mother probably would still be alive. Along with the war, she hated her brother - if he hadn’t had been so pathetic, maybe their mother wouldn’t have felt the need to be looking over his shoulder. Either way, there was a strong desire to make the traitors pay.
But none of this was Sylvia’s fault, there was no reason to be mean to her. Quinn relaxed her shoulders as she let the other girl talk. Her demeanor was different, not the usual facade of her fake confidence. There was something more to her, and the young empath picked up on it instantly after pushing aside her own emotions. Whatever this was, it came from the heart, and the surprise lingered on Quinn’s face.
Sylvia apologized and sympathized with her loss, Quinn blinked and did her best to push back any of the tears that lingered in her eyes. She never cried in front of anyone, Vesta had been the exception in this case. Being a Princess, she wasn’t allowed to cry in front of people, it showed weakness. A Varanin never showed their vulnerability and never showed their hand. Words her Papa would tell her, she always needed to protect herself even from emotions. Also, if it made her lonely, Quinn was a good girl and always listened.
“Thank you.” There was someone sincere with their condolences. Quinn had thought only Vesta would know how she felt about the matters of losing mothers. This threw Quinn off her game, and she could feel herself being vulnerable in front of Sylvia, the last person she wanted to feel helpless in front of. Yet, everything was on display as she hiccuped choking back tears.
“It does...It…” She had to pause and hiccup again, “It sucks so much, I didn’t even get to say goodbye. The last thing we talked about was so stupid and pointless. I can’t even remember the conversation.” Quinn at least had that, the conversations they would have weekly about school and about Eshan. For some reason, she couldn’t remember the mundane discussion, and it made her so mad. Both of her parents were taken from her, first her Papa and then her mother. She was jealous of Ibaris, who got to spend nearly half their lives with them, but it wasn’t her sister’s fault.
Quinn was just angry and sad, along with every other emotion one would feel. Exhaling, she calmed herself, remembering that something good did happen out of all of this. She had found someone that felt like her, someone that had lost a mother too. Quinn was able to push back her tears, and she looked at Sylvia curiously, “Why? I would have never expected anything like this from you, Sylvia...honestly, I thought you hated me.”

In all honesty, Sylvia expected Quinn to call her sincerity into question, or simply tell her to leave. She would've been okay with that, too. Grief could be delibitating, and considering the fact the two had regular spats and moments of hostility it was understandable if Sylvia was the last person the echani wanted to see right now. Sylvia was prepared to take the brunt of whatever would be hurled at her and go on her way, knowing that at least she had tried to do the right thing.

Instead, Quinn expressed her gratitude. It was a little jarring, to say the least.

Sylvia remained right in front of the door, feeling a little too awkward to take a step forward, though did provide a listening ear as Quinn spilled just little bit of her heart. The echani did everything she could to hold back tears and it was heartbreaking to see. This was a side the magenta-haired girl had never seen before and it challenged her views on Quinn as a person. She didn't know how to reply and so she didn't. Instead, she nodded silently, giving Quinn the room to say anything she wanted to get off her chest.

Then came the question. One that perhaps wasn't too strange considering their history, but even then she never truly despised Quinn. Her attitude had certainly rubbed Sylvia the wrong way on more than a few occasions, but perhaps her 'jabs' in response did go a little far at times.

"I know we've had our conflicts, and I think it's because we got off on the wrong foot. But I don't hate you, Quinn." They would probably never stop at least harmlessly throwing jabs at each other, but that was fine by Sylvia. "So to answer your question, because what you're going through must be hard and painful. I know I can't do much, but I'm here for you."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom