Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Miracle in Shambles: Cardea Medical Center

Kef Davidson

K
Things were different when he was younger. When he was younger people were amazed by his attitude, his work ethic, much more than they were amazed by his intelligence. Back then, when 'the young genius' said he had an idea or that he had decided he was going to continue his education, people threw money at him like it was the plague and they couldn't wait to get rid of it. It was a great time, he had not a care in the world, well besides the experiments he had been working on with people in the top of his fields. He was just someone that people loved working with, he was extraordinary.

Now however, he was just another lab assistant. They recognize his mind and the gifts bestowed upon him, but they were much less nurturing, less willing to help. In fact, he was doing all the helping now. "Hey Kef, grab me a caf. Hey Kef, read over my thesis on the benefits of kolto for me. Hey, Davidson, could you pick up my medication?" All day, running back and forth. It killed him, and it just put him at ease when he could sit at a desk in his small office at Fondor Shipyards and work on small designs by himself. For a while now he and some new interns had been working on a large project. Orbital Medical Station. The idea of course wasn't new, or groundbreaking as the Republic had one of their own and the Omega Protectorate already had a space station. What made this project different you ask? Well none of them really knew. Until today. But before that, one must know how it started.

Two Galactic Standard Months Ago~
"I just don't get it Kef, how are you so smart?" a young intern asked him during their lunch break. "And why aren't you like, the head of some company? You could be making millions! With your mind?"
A chuckle escaped Kef just before he took a sip of his caf. "I can't answer your first question, after all, it only takes dedication and a strong resolve to get where I am now..." he said modestly. "But, I would rather be here in this honorary position. It fuels my ideas and pushes the limits of my mind. In short, its exciting! Besides, who wants to sit in an office all day drinking wine?" the blank stares from around the table of interns answered that question for him. "I like to help people, its why I chose to pursue being a doctor before an engineer." he muttered. Laughs and chuckles came from all around. Mostly, they were all his age, though there were a few interns that were younger. With a shrug he flipped the holoscreen on to the news. Today marked the anniversary for the http://starwarsrp.net/topic/622-saelari-medical-center/][/SIZE]Saelari Medical Station in the Republic. It seemed to be a big deal. He knew it was, he worked as an intern there when he was in school.

It was a top of the line Medical center, top of the line security too. With a wistful sigh he remembered his days on the station. "Could you imagine if WE had one of those?" one of the younger Interns spoke up, her blue eyes shining. Kef smiled at the thought. The others agreed, and soon they began talking shop. What kind of shields they would have, dimensions, much of it based off of the Medical Station on the news at the moment. However, the young intern that spoke up before said something that made everyone stop and think. "What if it had some sort of...virtual intelligence or Hive-mind like droid intelligence. Things would be much smoother I feel like..." she trailed off as looks from the other interns indicated she was wrong, stupid to even think that. Especially in lieu of the recent attack on Omni. Many people were reluctant to trust droids or anything of the sort.

"No, no! That could work!" Kef spoke up, noticing the young intern's drop in spirits. Now he was getting strange looks, and he had to come up with something. "Maybe...a highly intelligent VI, one that could be fed information, or maybe learn? No...Not learn, rather teach. A powerful VI that had access to droid husks to aid in operations or other duties, while simultaneously aiding in the teaching of new medical students!" the interns all around him sat, sucking in the information that Kef began to spit out of his mind. The lecture about VI and the application of medicine by droids went on for a good hour and a half. The task would take an incredibly powerful core.

Present Time~
He knew that the top brass of the Shipyards wouldn't go for this. It would cost too much they said. It would be too unstable, too this, too that. It was almost as if no matter how many times he revised the design it wouldn't be perfect enough for them. But he knew, and could name space stations that were historically important to the galaxy that had many of the problems that his supposedly had. And then he had it. Grabbing his papers from his desk in a hurry he made his way to his skycar. He knew that the Fondor Shipyards would ignore him. They had said as much the last time he went. In fact, they were so adamant about it they threatened to strip him of his honorary position, regardless of his history with them. No, he had to take it to the top. The very top. Piling his things in his crowded, black skycar and made his way to the people he hoped would listen.

He flew to the public addresses of both @[member="Tegaea Alcori"] and @[member="Ayden Cater"], but he was pushed away by guards and told to leave without any sort of explanation. Maybe he had to make an appointment...He didn't think about that. None of that went through his mind. The last place he went was the office of The Protector...@[member="Cira"]. He hoped that she would see him. The guards apparently had been forewarned about a man of his description trying to see these leaders and was met with greater force than the last two times. "Please, just let me see her, no just let her see these at least!" he pleaded. It was important. Well to him anyways. The guard snatched the papers away from him, allowing a few pieces to go off into the wind. "No! My research! The blueprints! You bumbling fools! What have you done!?" he shouted at them as he jumped, albeit not very high, in an attempt to capture the floating pieces of the last two months of his life. The guards forced him from the premises and he headed to his car. Defeated. He could only hope the guards brought what was left to Cira. If not, he would work on it more. And more. He felt that this was an important project, for himself, and for the people of the Omega Protectorate.

Cira

C
@[member="Kef Davidson"]

"They tend to be a bit overzealous." came the abrupt voice of a woman behind Kef. How she appeared so suddenly would be anyone's guess. She wore her hair slicked back straight from her face, drawing her eyes a bit more slanted as the auburn tresses were held in a tight ponytail at the crown of her head. She wore black armor of sorts but it moved like clothing. In her hand were several stacks of filmsi that would be familiar to the young medical technician.

His blueprints.

"Yours, I take it?" the woman with the gold eyes asked, extending them to him.

Kef Davidson

K
To say he was surprised would be an understatement. Someone, some woman, was in the back seat of his skycar. He, quite literally, jumped out of his seat with a cry of fear and surprise bumping his head on the roof of car. It was far from the manliest thing he could have done, but then again, Kef was a lover, not a...brute. Turning quickly in his seat to look around he drew his eyes to his rear-view mirror. The figure of @[member="Cira"] was indisputable. He had seen her so many times on the holo before. The protector was in his car, his car. Turning to face her he slowly he nodded slowly to her words. "Y-yes, quite a bit...Though it might have to do with me going to both Exarch's places of know residence unannounced..." he admitted. His eyes were drawn to the the parts of his blueprints that had been taken by the wind, well at least he thought that they were taken by the wind. "How did you- Never mind never mind, I don't want to know. This is great news!" the spark snapped to life in his sea-green eyes.

This entire time he was so occupied with fear and confusion and happiness all at once that he had failed to notice her eyes. He had never seen them up close before, and they looked yellow. Strange. But he shrugged the thought off and pushed it to the back of his mind.

Cira

C
@[member="Kef Davidson"]

The faint upward tilt of her lips might go unnoticed in the shadows of the skycar. "Well... one would understand their desire for privacy." her right brow rose slightly as she crossed her right leg over her left.

"So, Second Lieutenant Davidson.... tell me why have you've been camping outside of my Exarch's residences for?"

Kef Davidson

K
Shifting uneasily in his seat, he flipped through the flimsi he now held in his hands. "I...I wanted to help the people of the Omega Protectorate by creating a center for learning, healing and research." Honestly, he didn't know what else to call his idea. He wanted so much more for it than just those few simple words, but that would have to wait until he was sure that the station would be a thing that was going to be worked on. He needed, well, not needed, but would have liked it very much to see this station put into space. He knew it would a colossal undertaking and if Cira could sit down and read through all 100 and counting pages of his blueprints she would understand that as well.
@[member="Cira"]

Cira

C
@[member="Kef Davidson"]

The skycar flew smoothly through the skylanes, it's passengers barely registering any motion at all. None the less, the catlike eyes that were of the Lady Protector calmly and passively studied Kef through the reflective mirror that shone her eyes as well as those of Davidson.

The lingering upward curve of her mouth gave a slight encouragement as she said.

"Go on..."

Kef Davidson

K
"A space station that teaches the best doctors and has the best medical equipment. However..." And this was the clincher. "I wanted to incorporate some sort of virtual intelligence that would be able to act as a sort of nurse for all of the patients on board. I understand that it would require an extensive virtual intelligence core and that no one is really over the attacks by Omni...But I'd like to think that we can get over this and create an almost completely droid operated medical space station and medical school."

It was out. Now...If only he could make that sound better and more useful than he actually did, he might be going somewhere!

Cira

C
@[member="Kef Davidson"]

That auburn brow rose higher.
"And just how do you intend to ensure that said extensive virtual intelligence will not be corrupted in the future Second Lieutenant?" her tone was cordial, but pressing.

"Even our Fondor headquarters had been overrun by the Red Queen..." she stated simply, referencing the corrupted AI that had completely taken over the core of Omega Pyre headquarters. It had required an internal manual override by Ayden himself.

The idea of a medical space station did perk her interest. If one could apply hyperdrive, it would certainly make bringing aid to the outer rim all the more easier.

But the chaos was in the details.

Kef Davidson

K
"Ah! But therein lies the difference!" he said excitedly. "The Red Queen was...a corrupted and unshackled Artificial Intelligence." Many people often became confused between the difference of AI and VI, which was another road block that he would have to overcome if this dream was to become a reality. "A Virtual Intelligence, or VI, by contrast is simply a sophisticated computer program with set duties and protocols." A pause. "Not at all self-aware like an AI." he added quickly. "The only way one could go Rouge would be our fault. Either bad maintenance or some other kind of over looked security risk." He nodded, taking mental notes of things that would need to be included, security wise. "System functions and patient monitoring would be done by human eyes as well of course, to make sure there are no errors, but with the VI's looking over these pools of data at all times it would allow for a multipurpose environment that our scientists and doctors could use to its maximum potential." The sky car was nearing his apartment now and he began to wonder how @[member="Cira"] would get back to her home.

"I was also thinking of creating hub stations, medical cruisers really, that would be able to travel to multiple places while also staying connected to the station's medical database. These could then jump to battle fields or planets in need of supplies like medicine or water and deliver their needs...Along with having a fully operational hospital or clinic within."

Cira

C
@[member="Kef Davidson"]

Ok, she liked the kid's spunk.

But she wasn't going to give him the go ahead quite yet.

"Sounds promising... but what are the financials?" she asked bluntly. They owned Thyferra, so they had the bacta supply in terms of a monetary influx. Now to talk specifics. "Resources? Design of the station it self?"

Kef Davidson

K
He shook his head in dismay. This was usually the point where people told him no and to try and limit costs, but he just couldn't find a way. "Without a doubt...it would be expensive. Not only for the process of building but for security...bacta... personnel." Honestly the list could go on forever and ever. "But I was hoping to cut costs by making it mostly dependent on solar energy and making it an orbital station rather than a mobile one. Keeping it close to Fondor should limit some costs...As will the solar powered generators..." he then remembered that solar panels and solar power converters cost money, lots of it. "Long term of course!" he added. "But if Limmie has taught me anything, its that if you want to make it to the championships, you have to take the long term risk..."
@[member="Cira"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom