Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A meeting long overdue

It was odd to be wearing professional wear again after so long in rather comfortable robes he'd forgotten how it made you stand a bit straighter. It was perhaps even odder because he hadn't bought anything new since his days in the Fringe and most of his formal wear had the distinct flavor of legionnaire military. Still it felt necessary when working with such a large corporation, more so as a stake holder. The fact that it was Iron Crown though just made the entire flavor of his formal wear a bit more nostalgic if nothing else.

Walking through the heart of the station he wondered even who these days exactly he was supposed to have a meeting with about this aid attempt. In honesty he expected someone from the trust which headed the company now due to the size of his stake, but he would have been just as pleased with the executive in charge of charity work. The Blue Crest wasn't exclusively his project, but Asha had already pointed him in the direction of leading the effort. In truth it would be nice to have something to focus on, but that was only the half of it. That wasn't something to speak of here though, whoever he was going to met wouldn't understand and most likely wouldn't be interested in his personal troubles.

He'd arrived a few minutes earlier then expected, but in business everyone knew that was actually the expected time. A professional looking woman waved him inside the sealed doors with a rather broad smile, but despite looking for it Sargon didn't find a name on the door. Still it didn't really matter who either way, he supposed he was just hoping to see an old company face in truth. Something from a time long ago who were likely all retired anyway.

As the door opened he stepped into a rather opulent office, in fact office was really a poor word for it as it seemed there were literally floors to it. Feeling something in force he let the winds bath him, and just before he saw it he felt it. A presence he'd worried he'd never met again in this wide galaxy. As he heard the footsteps he slowly turned for fear it was some trick before he finally spoke emotion catching in his voice. "Ovmar?" Sargon would have been lying if he claimed he was a man of few words, but at this moment they failed him, but this time he wore his emotions on his sleeve as the shock was simply more then he was ready for at the moment. "Is it you, my brother?"

The Foundation Trust had many objectives the years, but chief among them was one-

Prepare for the eventuality of a new Dark Age and ensure the preservation of civilization.

These were worthy goals as far as Ovmar was concerned. So, perhaps it wasn't a surprise the old figure found himself involved with them. On the sly anyway, quiet presence that didn't attract attention to it. But they had been happy to use his lingering influence throughout the Unknown Regions. His familiarity with Iron Crown was helpful in that regard. Once upon a time a state-owned corporation doing everything- from manufacturing of exotic weaponry to the creation of several eye-popping flagships, Iron Crown had gone through a long journey.

Now it served as it had for the past decade or two. A gateway towards trade in the Unknown Regions. Its total control had weakened, of course, as new hyperlanes out of its control were discovered and younger governments rose up that were hungry for their own power. But it was still a sizeable player in the game.

Even with all this in mind Jared hadn't expected to come face-to-face with a close figure from his past.

Spencer Varanin Spencer Varanin was dead. Ashin Cardé Varanin Ashin Cardé Varanin had gone through several iterations, before (by all accounts) disappearing as well. Dissero Dissero had his own family to worry about and the last time he had intruded... well... they had parted amicably, but Ovmar knew his old friend's priorities had shifted. He respected that.

Somehow... the idea of Sargon Vynea Sargon Vynea making an appointment and walking into his 'office' had never occurred to him.

"It's me, old friend." Finally coming into view Vynea would see that old grin. It still had that hint of mischief, even if the face around it was older. Far older than anyone would expect. "Surprised? You don't think I would have let some secretary or feckless executive handle family?"

His arms extended there for a hug- but braced himself for the eventuality of a punch in the face at the same time.

Being him... both were always on the table, really.

With a laugh the Iridonian gripped him tight as he pounded his back for a moment before stepping back with a bit of a shine in his eye. "Well I wasn't even really aware you around these days. Last I heard someone was messing with time and that was the last I heard about one Jared Ovmar. You look good though, age has added some regality to you. I'm glad to see you well, and whole!"

Taking a moment he had a dozen things to spurt out but he took a deep breath and laughed as he tried to regain full control of his senses. "Well then first I should let you know family business. Spencer Varanin Spencer Varanin is alive again, I was there when Ashin Cardé Varanin Ashin Cardé Varanin pulled her out of the Netherworld. Dreaming Dark to be specific and to be more specific a place I hope I never see again. Quite the adventure, and I even got to met their daughter though there wasn't much time for chat."

Stopping for a moment he realized he was at risk of simply vomiting information at his long lost friend, but that one piece was perhaps the most important. Their former master lived again and was well, and depending on the clone looking better then either one of them. "There's more to tell, plenty more, but we're going to need a week and some stiff drinks I think before it's done. Before I completely forget to take a breath how have you been, Jared? The last time I saw you, well you were hitting hyperspeed out towards the other end of the galaxy to find everyone a new home."

He stopped there for a moment even as he asked the question he realized there was something that needed to be said there and held up a finger. "I know it's rude to ask a question and keep blabbing, but this time I need to. I'm sorry, Jared, I'm sorry I didn't go with you. I should have in truth. I just wasn't ready yet. You've always been faster with change then I was. Well lets be honest I drag my heels in the past like I can bring it back sometimes, but I can't. Nor could I then, and I'm sorry for not supporting you enough and joining you on that trip."

Jared Ovmar Jared Ovmar

That grin grew wider at that.

But before he could explain, Sargon hit him with the motherload.

He froze up there, blinking slowly, leaning back to look Sargon in the eye. No, he wouldn't have joked about it. Not that. "She... is alive." Jared murmured, thoughtfully, while also processing the fact that Ashin was still around. Which one was more shocking he wasn't certain. "That. And you helped her?" Smile warm there, squeezing Sargon's shoulder. "I am glad you were there for her, when I wasn't. As long as one of us is looking out for her... and with Varanin in the mix..." A laugh there as he finally let go. "Think Spencer is gonna live forever."

If he had been 'younger' he would have blamed himself. The whole 'should have been there to help' shenanigans. Jared was long passed trying to carry every weight on his shoulders. It would have been better to have been there, but at least Spencer had the other people of their karked-up family in the moment she needed it most.

That meant something.

"Ahh, Ibby? You have met her before, haven't you?" Gesturing for Sargon Vynea Sargon Vynea to follow him deeper into the office. A flick of a finger caused the doors to shut behind them. "Ah, as for me. Well, last decade hasn't been that eventful. Mostly been keeping to myself. I am too old to get involved with every karking event in the Galaxy like in our brazen days, even though I feel like it's only gotten worse the older we get."

Right before Jared could round the table Sargon hit him with another hammer.

He paused there, hand resting on the smooth stone, before looking over his shoulder. Measuring the man in front of him. It was a long time since they had been two boys playing at 'nation building' and 'who is the better soldier'.

"I never blamed you, brother." A shrug there. "Did I want you by my side? No discussion about that. But Bakura needed seeing after, I get that. Besides- you might blame yourself for dragging your heels, but was I any different? Long past the Fringe's death I kept trying to keep it going. Maybe it would have been better involved for everyone if I had let go at the right time. It would have spared a lot of people a lot of suffering." His mouth curled into a wry expression there before looking away and completing the trajectory towards the drink cabinet.

"What do you drink these days? I got whiskey and whiskey."

He took the forgiveness as it was meant and a great weight that had always somewhere rested on him vanished. It was hard to pretend you forgave yourself for something you still hadn't apologized to other person over, and much harder with family. How long ago all that was, he enjoyed the memories, and the excitement of all the responsibilities and things that were happening. That wasn't the part he missed though, what he missed was this, the family he'd made there. His home.

With a grin he spied a bottle of Iridonian whiskey and nodded to it, "Now that, that's the stuff. I've tried whiskey on more planets then I can count, but you can't beat Iridonian whiskey. Lets you know you're alive after." Stopping for a moment though he considered his last comment, perhaps a nickname? "I'm not sure? I met a Noelle, didn't even realize they were kin until after I heard her cry out mother after Spencer. Don't tell me I've missed a whole grouping? Spend three decades meditating on the force and the world just passssses you by. I suppose a boardroom really isn't that much more exciting though I doubt you've been neglectful on your own studies, old man. Force forbid both of us fail to ever reach the stature of our master. Poor girl really knew how to pick 'em."

Grinning as he gave out his own dry humor he took the first swig out of the glass letting the fire warm his belly up. There really was nothing like it. "I've actually promised to return to Iridonian, didn't know it was under Imperial domain, but honestly don't much care. I've learned that all those powerful governments are much to busy on their big picture to notice the little guys below on the ground. Makes me wonder sometimes if we were that blind to it all. That's kind of why I'm here though. Not the Iridonian part, but the little people part."

Fishing a datapad out of his pocket he dropped it on the table, but with Jared he didn't bother going into a whole presentation. Instead he was told the truth, the whole truth. "Rescuing Spencer brought me back to a reality I'd walked away from, and not all of it was good though. Lady Ashin, well she's done much to bring about the resurrection of Spencer, and I fear her dedication has brought her to near complete corruption. I, I melded with her as I would have in the old days, but it wasn't like the old days, Jared. I wasn't expecting corruption on that level, and I wasn't prepared for it. I don't think a person can really. I've been having moments of late, and the difficulties have mounted in truth when it comes to embracing the light."

Sighing he poured himself another and took a longer drink before he continued. "There's so much death out there, brother. So much suffering it's hard to find a place to retreat from it when you hear it from ever echo in the force. I need to do something or I'll burst, something to stop the suffering. There's a place inside that echoes from the darkness inside Lady Ashin that pushed that on and act. There's another way though, a way to do good I think. The Je'daii are creating a new aid group, the Blue Crest they call it. They lack resources, but their hearts are in the right place. A company like Iron Crown though could turn that small hand into something that could really make a difference. Perhaps enough to care for the suffering even just a little and bring about hope."

Jared Ovmar Jared Ovmar

Sargon Vynea Sargon Vynea

Noelle.

He murmured that name to himself as he poured them both a drink. Did he know a Noelle? No, it seemed to be a new addition. Old instincts told him to paper that over. Never show your ignorance, your weakness, because that could be exploited. It was funny how those old reflexes just come back up when you are presented with your history.

"Don't know a Noelle." Jared said simply, pushing down that desire. He was too old for that shit. "Ibaris was their first kid. Not surprised to hear they gotten busy after we all lost touch though. Maybe I should call up to Spencer Varanin Spencer Varanin now that she is alive again." It would be an awkward reunion. Would his old Master and friend hold it against him? That he hadn't tried to save her from the Netherworld? As a younger buck he had tried... and succeeded for Anaya... that was true.

But that was a long time ago.

He wasn't that man anymore.

"You think you can get us in touch? Force knows transitioning from the Nether back to real-space is a shock by itself. Don't want to add to that shock by showing up unannounced." Ovmar strolled over and offered a glass to Sargon a moment later. That last request would solidify it between them. This wasn't the same Jared that Sargon had befriended so many decades ago.

That one had loved to shock and awe people.

Sitting back he sipped as he listened to Sargon, studying the man in front of him. Had he always been like this? Be able to pull back the abstraction to see the little people behind it? Yes. Sargon had always cared deeply. Even back in the day as a soldier. Ambition, sure, but not like himself. Not like Ashin Cardé Varanin Ashin Cardé Varanin or half a dozen other names now fading into the annals of history.

Always the best of them.

"Ashin... well, Ashin has always played on that knife's edge. From Jedi to Sith, Sith to Dark Jedi. Empress to Lord. I am not surprised the corruption finally got a hold of her entirely now. But at the very least her goals are aimed at her family." A slow smile there, before another sip of amber. "Imagine her setting her mind to another Empire. Worms and Warlords would shake in their thin boots." There was a different matter now though, past the reminiscing and nostalgia. He opened up one of the notepads and studied it for a moment. "I can give you proper terms, since you are shareholder and family."

"An extended loan, twelve percent interest accruing every month, repay after two year-" Ovmar looked up and started laughing at the expression on Sargon's face. "Just fucking with you." The book was closed and he grinned. "You have Iron Crown's backing," He waved his hand there. "-done. As long as you are leading the financial ends on Blue Crest's side, I will handle things here."

A slow stretch there as he sunk deeper into his seat.

"Besides, should be good for PR, Iron Crown's efforts to rebuild the Unknown Regions after decades of war. Has a nice ring to it, no?"

So maybe Ovmar hadn't changed entirely.

With a smirk he near laughed, "Neither did I, we're terrible uncles by the way. You missed all the fun times you would have had at the start though getting that beard yanked out. Not your fault anymore then mine though, we were all pulled in a dozen directions apart, my friend. As for the call, yeah I think we all owe each other that. We all owe ourselves that, brother. Family is strongest when it stands together after all, and if you need me to, yeah I'll make the call with you." Jared Ovmar Jared Ovmar had made himself a titan of politics and business, the pretense that he couldn't reach out to a thousand sources and contact their old master was preposterous. The bit of fear he'd be reproached though, it would never happen, but Sargon understood it.

Taking the glass he sipped the cool liquid for a moment before swirling it around the pair of ice cubes enjoying the small sounds they made. He was right about Ashin Cardé Varanin Ashin Cardé Varanin though. If it wasn't for her love of Spencer Varanin Spencer Varanin his Queen could have very well been an unstoppable monster, but she'd made a choice not to be long ago. If Spencer couldn't have been brought back though? What would have been the depth of her mourning? How powerful that grief, and how the galaxy would have trembled at it.

"Dark Jedi and Jedi. You know I've never really seen the difference between them, I've met one or two who break the mold, but sometimes I wonder where the line exists beyond the bluster." He'd once been far more disappointed with the Jedi, but even Oreen had proven some were different. That some inside knew something was wrong with the entire order, and it's mission. He still held out a sliver of hope for them all though, there were a few wise voices in the quiet places who listened to the force, and they were teaching others too as well. Perhaps someday it would be a different order.

As Jared started in on the terms of the 'loan' the Iridonian just gave him a flat bemused look. The man he called brother had changed in a thousand ways, but in a thousand ways he was still the exact same funny shit. He'd missed him. "Aye, I will be the sole head of the group for the foreseeable future. In the event that changes I'll alert you before hand, though I would suggest for the aforementioned reason to continue some type of funding. Good publicity is hard to buy, and saving the galaxy? There's no better publicity you can put out there. My shares are gonna jump."

Returning Jared's sarcastic smile he brought his glass up to toast the man, and the occasion. "Try all you want to pretend you're not, you're still a good man, and always have been. It's a sad galaxy which has portrayed it all otherwise on all of us."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom