Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A Man Of My Word

As they came upon the great City of Mercuitie, a small gasp echoed through the air. They'd traveled down the river on a pleasant little rowboat, golden sails flapped lazily overhead unable to really catch much of a breeze, while mighty, muscular Shaal drew back oars in precise strokes. Glancing down at his son, Arcturus could not help but smile. He remembered well his first time seeing the City walls, they appeared so suddenly from around the riverbend that it was almost as if it manifested out of thin air.
Starlin was wriggling in excitement, his golden locks bouncing as he looked this way and that. Knowing that he hadn't even seen the best part, that which lay beyond the large gates, left Arcturus' heart soaring on behalf of his boy. Slowly but surely the riverboat came to a halt, rocking this way and that on the water they shared with countless other vessels. The harbour was cyclical, allowing for a constant flow of traffic, though Daywing did not make use of such. Instead the boat drifted into port, where it was fast tethered down. Only then did Arcturus permit his son to rise.
"It's so pretty" the boy uttered, a little breathless. Taking Starlin's hand, he led them both from boat to dock though not before thanking the Captain. "We'll be back here tomorrow evening," he informed Captain and crew. "Enjoy the City, and remember - no weapons beyond the ship." Starlin scrunched up his face a little. "Why woulds they wants weapons anyways, Daddy?" Arcturus peered down and ruffled Starlin's hair. "Not all are so fortunate as to be raised in peace, little one."
Still, when compared to the rest of Zaathru Mercuitie was a veritable utopia. Even Arcturus left behind his weapons, all save the one which could not be removed from his person. Thankfully he had an understanding with the Guard by this point, and Mercurius' blessing. He found himself bowed to as he approached the great gates, and he inclined his head in response. Down at his side, young Starlin followed his Father's example and bowed too.
Without much fanfare, after all Arcturus was not big on such, they soon found themselves within the City and at the foot of the mighty Ziggurat. Along the way, Starlin had gasped and gawped, stared and pointed, at the great many new sights now made available to him. "We can take it all in once we've visited with Uncle Darien," he promised the boy, whose face lit up. "Will Mister Theryn be there too?" Starlin inquired, earning him a chuckle from his Father, "Marcus said he has a dragon!"
As they took to the steps, nodded his head. "I imagine Prince Theryn will be there too, at least I hope he will," he retorted, before peering down again. "A dragon, you say? Aren't you afraid to see a big ole dragon?" Starlin shook his head quite firmly. "Nopes! I even drawded one to show" the boy stated, reaching into his trouser pocket to pull out a folded piece of paper. "I'm not afraids of nothing!"
"Anything" his Father softly corrected. "And it's okay to be afraid sometimes, Star."
Their conversation continued along a similar vein, until they came to the center of the Ziggurat where Darien would most often be found attending to his people. Not wishing to interrupt the flow of things, he quietly informed a passing member of staff that he sought Mercurius and Lysius once they were free, but that neither were to be rushed, then found himself and his son led to the gardens where they were offered refreshments while they waited.

Mercuitie was a shining jewel that sat in the pass between two areas of largely undeveloped desert. Mountains on either side and a great river through its centre. It was a city on the rise too now that it had new status. The present capital city of the Meriphoril Desert. Its fat coffers were growing fatter too as goods from Meriphoril moved into Ámithosi to fuel Arcturus' growing city. Soon enough goods would flow greedily the other way too in order to fuel Darien's expansion into his new lands. It was a good time to be a merchant. It was a good time to live and work in Mercuitie but the utopia was hard won.

The city was like a swan. Regal and calm above the water, frantic kicking and fighting bellow. Particularly at the present time. It had been a month of turbulence and change. Yes, there were riches flowing into the city but that brought difficulty as those beneficiaries looked to expand and secure their wealth and found new causes for rivalry. Recent events had also brought outside problems into the city. Villages caught up in the crusade against slavery now wished for help and funding to rebuild, most under the leadership of those who had been slaves until recently. There were settlements which had not been involved in the crusade too but now found that they were under the yoke of a new overlord and they came too. Some with homage and good wishes most with gripes and worries and all had to be heard.

The audience chamber was packed, busting at the edges with people all clamouring for their time. Darien had been compelled to reinstate his curtain. An end to his short-lived attempt to be visible to his people. It was best for Theryn too, he was still getting used to life on Zaathru. He remained keen not to be parted from Darien and followed him to court every day to sit beside him, often on the floor. The curtain meant that Darien could sit down there with him and that helped calm them both.

A few steps below him on a dais his two deputy rulers sat and it was they who did the hard work. Mercurius was not expected to input upon every petty gripe and problem. He had wider issues to contend with and so they settled most of the petitions. When Darien did have something to say it was spoken from the mouths of his two speakers, who sat on either side of his hidden away throne. As with all other roles in Mercuitie, except his high priest, there was one Shaal and One Zaathri.

Darien was listening, always listening but for the most part not inputting. His people knew what he wanted and most of them knew how to achieve it better than him. He stepped in only where the threat of discord loomed or to assert his ultimate authority. When he was not focused on the problems facing his new kingdom he was focused on far more important matters. Matters of Theryn's well-being. They had finally figured out how to make quality nail paint. Colourful but hard-wearing enough not to chip at the slightest touch of sand. Pale pink. It was soothing for Darien to put his attention on Theryn. He could forget that anyone else was there. That was what he was doing when his attendants whispered in unison that the God of the Underworld and the god of Rivers had arrived to visit him. He directed that they be shown to a quiet and secure part of the garden, with access to a guest suite should they need it or the sun grow too taxing. Young Starlin did not need to be accosted by either heat or prying eyes.

It was meant to be a matter of discretion that Arcturus was in the city but all the same, it was quickly spread through the throngs of people some of whom left their place in the assembled mass to seek him and his child out. They would not find them, barred as they were from even getting into seeing range of the garden where Arcturus had been led. that helped speed up the day. Once one had left the chamber they had to go to the back of the queue it had been a rule as old as the city itself. A way to ensure no one got special treatment. Well no one who was not a god. When the room had emptied of its present occupants Darien made it known that he was done for the day and ordered all but his and Theryn's personal staff to go.

"Would you like to stay to see Arcturus and Starlin my darling or would you prefer to go back to our room and rest?" He asked he hoped by now that Theryn knew that Darien wanted him to be well looked after and never thought less of him for needing rest or care, Darien had designated a Shaal and a Zaathri to wait on Theryn hand and foot, doing anything he needed including for some weeks after he first arrived carrying him wherever he needed to go. Now Theryn was mostly permitted to walk but the two attendants still fussed over him.

When Theryn had decided and was settled wherever he wished to go Darien gave orders for all others to leave and for Arcturus to be brought to see him with Starlin in tow if that was what was desired. Darien did not greet Arcturus on his throne but he was sat on the highest step of the dais. He did not want to make Arcturus small but he did want to be big and important. This was his city and in it, he was the most important person. When they entered Darien spread his hands in greeting "Welcome Brother gods" he said in basic before waving the guards away.

There were no native ears left to hear now.

"I assume you have come regarding your offers to me Lord Dinn? If you still desire it I am contented to serve as your right-hand man" He said to Arcturus.

Arcturus Dinn Arcturus Dinn

It had been strange at first, to sit in on these sessions. Back on Aurum he had done much of the same, only it had been his voice and his voice alone which had responded to the petitioners. Sure there were advisors and statesmen who whispered in his ears and helped him toward sound judgement, but the final words were his to make. This level of separation was odd, but Theryn was certainly benefiting from it so why would he look that gift horse in the mouth?
Sat beside dear Darien, he held one hand extended where it was rested upon the Contra-Usul's knee. For the first time since coming here, Theryn's nails were being painted and he felt so much more alive for it. He was always so very expressive with his appearance, bold and colourful, being able to build upon that with his neatly trimmed nails was just a blessing. One he never expected he'd find here on Zaathru.
And what a beautiful shade of pink the paint was.
When the messengers came and court drew to a close, Theryn was given the option to remain or head back to their room. Naturally, he remained. "I wish to be where you are, Petal," he explained, "Until such a time as you wish for your own space, of course." He did not seek to suffocate Darien with his presence, after all. He just found comfort in it. Purpose.
So it was that he was beside Darien, one step lower on the dais while Father and son entered. A bright grin spread across the Valkyri's lips at the sight of Starlin, who just as eager to see him hurriedly slipped his hand from his Father's in order to race over to him.
"Pwince Theryn!" the small boy exclaimed, giving no thought to propriety or personal space as he launched himself at Rin and wrapped his arms around his neck. "Marcus... Marcus said... you have a dragon" the little boy stated, a hint of triumph within his voice. For his part, Theryn chuckled softly. "Might be I do, Little Lin, what of it?"
Eyes bright and wide, Starlin hastily retrieved the folded paper from his pocket and unfolded it to show his charcoal drawing. "I madeded this for you" he said, "for you, and Uncle Darien, and your dragon. Look, it's all of you!" He pointed to each individual scribble on the page, the people seemed to take the right sort of form, but the dragon looked more like a long dog. Theryn noted how the image showed he and Darien holding hands, and his cheeks turned a lovely shade of pink to see it. "Do you likes it, Mister Rin?"
"It is the best picture I've ever been given" he declared, reaching up a hand to ruffle the boy's hair before becoming aware of the rest of the room and blushing even deeper. "Oh, erm..." He rubbed the back of his neck, then inclined his head toward Arcturus. "Hello again, Lord Dinn."
"Arcturus is fine" he assured Theryn, having quietly witnessed the exchange between the Prince and his son. Then he looked back to Darien. "Among other things, Lord Cordel." To hear that Darien was willing to serve as his right hand was something of a surprise, unexpected but certainly most welcome. "Tell me, do either of you still have the crystal ball I gave out in the desert?"
Theryn lifted his head, having been conspiring with young Starlin through chuckled whispers. "I do... I can send for it, Tsun too, if you'd like to meet him, little Lord?" the question itself was of course directed at the youth, who nodded his head as though it was the only thing keeping him alive. While Theryn tended to such, relaying his request to one of his personal servants, Arcturus came to a stop before the dais and bowed his head.
"You asked that I provide you with a ship; this I could not fulfil." There seemed to be genuine remorse furrowing his brow for a moment, he was already anticipating a slew of anger, or harsh words about how he had broken his promise. Whether it came or not he paused to take it, then lifted his head slightly. "I do however have a compromise, but to finish it I will need your blessing to weave magic into part of your home." His eyes drifted to Theryn then. "And yours, too." He had already done part of the job, there were runes and glyphs in the jungles close to but not within the sphere of Azar City.
Convenient, yes, but not as much as it could be.
Restless as he waited for the dragon to show up, Starlin hopped up the last step to the one that Darien was sat upon, and then waved his little hand. "Why you not sat on your big seat, Uncie Dari?" the boy asked, not smart enough yet to read the room and realize that the grown ups were discussing something of importance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom