Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A little competition never hurt, right?

Equipment: Lightsaber
Outfit: Jedi Garb
Tags: Brandyn Sal-Soren Brandyn Sal-Soren

Dreidi had been training and sparring against a few Padawans at the New Jedi Order, she was getting more and more proficient in her Makashi style and using it with a reverse grip Lightsaber. It had been tricky when she was first starting with her Master, Asaraa but she was determined to get it to work and to be an expert in the form. Asaraa was a Master in the combat style and Dreidi could only dream about being as good as she was, it was frustrating when she made errors but since training harder on Coruscant, she was developing skills and making progress. It wasn't the environment necessarily but training with peers, having to watch others struggle and make progress, it was a massive motivation for Dreidi to train even harder and attempt to be even better than she had been. There hadn't been many Jedi or young Padawans at the Confederacy or the Ascendancy so she rarely got to see others train in the same way she was or see similar struggles due to age or inexperience like she had.

This meant by the time Dreidi had noticed there was a small time tournament between some Padawans, she signed up immediately. It seemed to be organised as some kind of Padawan based fight club deal over the Jedi Masters officially doing a tournament and seeing how the Padawans were coming along. Dreidi was curious if they would ever hold one of those again and if she should sign up to that next time. Demonstrate her skills in front of Jedi Knights and Masters, reveal her skills and how she was aiming to be the best one day if she ever got the chance. For now, she would settle with beating random Padawans and demonstrating her skills among them.

It was only a small group of Padawans and there weren't many that were training for long or had seen much combat so Dreidi was curious to see if there would be anyone that she could train against and improve her skills with. Standing at the one end of a sparring ring, Dreidi jumped a little on the spot, keeping her limbs and body limber and energetic for when the sparring match would happen. Her hair tied tightly into a high bun to keep out of her eyes and in the way as she heard announcement of someone with the surname Sal-Soren, which rung a bell in Dreidi's mind.

As they approached, Dreidi smiled, "are you related to Briana? Met her on a mission recently." Dreidi stated as inspected her opponent.

His name was announced, and Brandyn stepped into the ring. It was purely Diz Kreeto's idea. The pesky Nautolan had been commiserating with Brandyn over the loss of their comrade in arms, Ralia. Diz had encouraged Brandyn to get involved in what now seemed almost like an underground fight ring for Padawan. It was not a secret though. He could tell that the Padawan heading it up had done nothing to try and keep it hidden from the Masters, but it still had that air about it. A feeling of risk and danger.

"Are you related to Briana?"

Brandyn had barely had time to assess his opponent, beyond noticing that she was probably a little younger than he, or just her species appeared younger.

"Ah...yeah...but please don't let her sully our name," Brandyn said with a smirk, centering himself in his burgeoning cocksure-styled confidence, "I am much more fun."

He noted her saber grip, and general inclination towards a Makashi stance. It was something he had muddled with, but still found security in his tried and true Niman. I had not steered him wrong yet, and would hopefully prove effective again in this encounter.

"Name's Brandyn," he said, stepping into the ring, "and you are?"

Left foot pushing forward, Brandyn turned his saber away from his opponent, pointing it down towards the ground behind him to his right. Both hands clutched the saber's hilt. It was one of Niman's classic opening stances, meant for a quick deflection and sudden strike on the opponent to end the encounter quickly. Thankfully, the blade he held, shimmering and humming to his side, was not his own but one of the many basic training sabers in use.

Dreidi laughed as Brandyn asked her not to let Briana sully the name, "well, you do seem a lot less stiff than she was. Doubt she would ever get involved in something like this. More likely to report it." Dreidi smirked, she short encounter with Briana had left that impression with Dreidi though there were some other feelings that went along with it too, "but, she seems like she would be a good sister to have. So, if you are as skilled with a Lightsaber as she is, then I am really looking forward to this sparring match."

Niman. That was the stance of her father's. It was a hard stance to master given that it held the requirement of understanding all previous forms that came before it and a mindset of meticulous combat understanding to combine and master them in a Form such as Niman. It was a respectable one and it brought a lot of memories back to her father but she knew that her dedication to Makashi was ideal for situations like this. Makashi was all about sparring others with Lightsabers, this was was perfect as she ignited her dark orange Lightsaber and held it in the reverse grip. Positioning herself in a Makashi stance but holding her Lightsaber in a reverse Shien style.

"Dreidi Xeraic. Doubt you know much about me." Dreidi answered truthfully. There were some that knew her parents, knew the level of mastery she came from but that came with its own set of pressure and anxieties. "Want this to be Lightsabers only or shall we go all out with some Force too?" Dreidi asked, she always wanted to ensure that a sparring match they came to an understanding because she never wanted to be accused of cheating when fighting. She had trained too hard, too intensely and too long to end up being accused of cheating and losing all respect and acknowledgement of others. Better to talk things out and gain an understanding.

"Briana is a great sister. Might say she is the best," he said, but quickly pointed his blade at his opponent, "but don't let me hear that you repeated that...to anyone, especially Briana."

He went back to his initial stance. "Briana is better than me," he said, clearly displeased with the admission, "but she is easily distracted. If you know how to distract her, that is."

Brandyn adjusted his stance, bringing his right foot forward, even with his left, and while keeping the saber pointed downwards, brought it to point slightly in front of him. "Pleased to make your acquaintance, Dreidi. Shall we get further acquainted? Force powers and all?"

He didn't wait for a response, but instead propelled himself forward with the Force. It wasn't a strong push off, given his opening stance being quite flatfooted, but his advance was faster than he could manage if done purely physically. His blade came up, across, slashing from low right to high left. It was less an attack, and more an engagement in the process.

Let's see what she's made of.

"Oh, don't know about best. I mean, I would like to think that my siblings consider me the best sister in the galaxy." Dreidi giggled as she joked with Brandyn, eyes sharply watching his movements and assessing his next move. "Oh never, just hope that the other Padawans watching us didn't hear it and share it to her now." Gesturing to the audience as she smirked widely. "Most I would say was that you thought me better in every way than her, something that is a treat for the both of us I am sure." Dreidi was giddy at the thoughts of ways to tease Briana now that she knew of her brother.

It was curious to see him admit that Briana was better than him, she would not have thought that to be true or at least so openly admitted. "Curious, so, not as easily distracted then I guess? I am a better fighting than two of my siblings, the third is my Master so I would say.... Even?...." Dreidi then chuckled and shook her head, "I am currently second strongest in sparring, third strongest in the Force." She wasn't too sure on Marcus's skills but she knew her own strengths and assigned him being lower since he never seemed the fighting type growing up.

Then the match began. The force propelled opening attack was not obvious but it was also somewhat predictable since the match had to begin in some way and so, when Brandyn went to strike, his blade would slice through green wisps of smoke as Dreidi had used her Magick in the opening move to counter. Teleporting away, she reappeared high above Brandyn and let gravity power her first strike as she attacked from above. It was long slice to cut from his shoulder to his hip from behind. She was counting on his surprise of her vanishing for this to work, but also knew about Force Sense so she prepared to be countered and set herself to land steadily.

Later on, when talking with the other padawan about these spars, Brandyn would claim that it was the adorably giddy laugh of the young Padawan that had distracted him, not that she had used magic to teleport. The truth was, of course, the complete opposite. It was his first encounter with magic of any kind, and frankly, he was not at all prepared for this.

His blade swung through air, sparks flying up from the ground as said blade hit the ground.

Perhaps we should have clarified what abilities we were bringing to the mat, he thought.

His hair on the back of his neck stood upright, alerting him in an instinctive moment in the Force that there was an attack coming from above. His momentum was already going forward, so he tucked into a roll as his blade disengaged for a moment. It was purely instinct that drove him, as he stopped on his one knee, pivoted and engaged his blade again to block anything that might be coming for his back, after missing her attack from above.

"I would say that is cheating...but really what I want to say is...teach me!"

Last edited:

When the fight had concluded, Dreidi would spread the whispered rumours around to other Padawans that the moment she had won was in the very first swing of her blade, seeing the shock and fear in Brandyn's eyes. Whether Dreidi actually believed that or not was completely up in the air, she did deeply enjoy seeing how effective her opening move had been. She was never one to hide her abilities with Magick but she never broadcasted it either. It was too hard to assess how others would feel about her skills and the fact she was not a purely good Jedi and that she was something more, something more complex and something that was tangled with a darkness that tugged in her heart.

"Cheating! How dare you even think of that!" Dreidi pouted offended, "you said Force powers and all, my all includes Magick. It is your fault for assuming all Jedi only use the Force. Underestimate an enemy and you lose." Dreidi huffed, she tried hard to play fair and people even hitting at dishonourable conduct was deeply hurtful.

Chewing on the inside of her cheek, "I can't teach you. I barely know what I am doing, and I haven't met a male who could do Magick either... Well, unless you think the Sith Lord Carnifex counts as male? I don't know what is going on with them personally." Dreidi shrugged, hoping not too disappoint Brandyn too much.

Moving in closer, slowly, Dreidi held the Lightsaber in her left hand and started swinging in a long arc towards Brandyn's head before dropping the Lightsaber into her right hand and jabbing forward with the blade towards his chest. Demonstrating her skills to feint and easily switch hands. Benefits of being ambidextrous.

"I call that misandry," Brandyn said, followed by a laugh to indicate that he was joking.

Pushing up from his kneel, he spun about planting his foot behind him again, ready for what might come next. "Wait...you know Carnifex? All I know are rumours. Who the heck are you, Dreidi Xeric?"

He could tell that his quip about her cheating had stung a little. Brandyn knew that expression she gave. He had seen it a thousand or more times from his sisters growing up. Something prevented him from pushing the buttons further though. That button pushing was usually his best way to get an upper hand when dueling Briana, but he couldn't do that to Dreidi. For one, he hardly knew her. Good impressions were important. Secondly, she seemed to be one with a storied past that didn't need a fellow Padawan digging into it just to get the edge on her. Though, as she had said, the enemy will use whatever they could.

As her strike came in, he found himself again impressed with her ability. His block missed, due to her feint, and he would not have been hit square in the chest with her point of her blade if he hadn't reached forward to push her away through the Force. He didn't wait to see if she stumbled, or held her ground, instead he pressed forward with a series of quick probing shots. None with any great strength behind them, just quick jabs at various hit points on her person.

"Well, could also stem from the fact that the men of Dathomir cannot access the Magick like the women can. Interesting you say misandry instead of considering inability being the reason." Dreidi smirked as she poked her tongue back at Brandyn.

Dreidi shrugged when Brandyn asked who she was, "just the daughter of two Jedi Grand Masters from the Silver Jedi. Want to hear more then better to talk after the fight?" Dreidi mentioned with a giggle since it was amusing to see someone so interested in her due to the unique experiences she held.

The jab had almost hit and Dreidi was thrilled at that fact but the Force Push came and it sent Dreidi stumbling back a bit. Needing to recover quick before she fell prone, Dreidi did a backwards flip and landed steadily on her feet once again. As the quick strikes came, Dreidi could feel that they were testing blows, it was similar to how she would test defences of an opponent when she was training with a new sparring partner. "Searching for a weakness huh?" Dreidi asked, curious to see if she could probe him for any mental weaknesses.

Parrying one blow, she followed through with a strike from her foot and attacked the side of Brandyn's knee to unsteady him as she blasted a Force Push directly at his chest. Panting slightly, she wasn't really use to fighting with someone with as much talent as Brandyn so it was nice to be pushed through the paces with him.

Right. Fight first. Talk later. Brandyn did tend to be a bit of a blabber mouth while in combat, but when one of your talents was veritable gift of the gab you just had to try it.

Knowing now that she was the daughter of two well trained Jedi, and having seen her magick in action, Brandyn felt severely underprepared and outmatched. She had likely been doing this for years, and all he had was four years of real training and six months of undercover work to learn some street smarts. Well, there was always the fall back of copying the Holofilms he watched as a kid, but he was starting to see that they were more fiction than fact.

She queried his process. Brandyn smirked, "Bit to obvious, huh?" It was rhetorical. If he had learned anything, half of the point of Niman was to wait patiently and seek out the weakness of the opponent before attacking decisively. Her laugh was disarmingly cute, but he had seen it before and was able to brush away the distraction. Sparring was serious business, right?

The distraction had apparently worked well enough on him though, as he felt his leg buckle with her kick to his knee. Her Force push was then enough to see him fall backwards, not far from her. It would have been better if had tumbled across to the other side of the sparring circle, but instead he was close enough for her to strike.

His legs were especially vulnerable, making easy target with his blade up above his head and just too far away to protect his lower half. He was about to lose. The only option he had was to turn his possibly targeted legs into his last resort weapon, with an attempt leg sweep against his foe.

The ability to hold a conversation, fight and distract the opponent while doing so was something her father had been known for back when he was alive. It was also a skill Dreidi held that some might say was frustrating, irritating and fed up with. However, it was refreshing to have a foe that was equally able to interact in that way. Allowed for verbal fight as well as a physical one, she didn't think she could adequately tell her story while mid duel. Or at least ensure that Brandyn heard and appreciated the exciting tales of Dreidi Xeraic. As she might fashion them one day.

"Obvious? Yeah, but also a little standard, vanilla." Dreidi commented in a teasing tone. Testing the defences of an opponent was smart way to fight but it was also revealing depending on the way that you approached such a tactic. The blow to the knee had worked and he was within striking range for it to all end, which was perfect. A short duel, maybe celebrate with a nice large greasy meal afterwards as well, something that could be found not too far from here. Especially since she was sure that Briana would pay good money to hear how the chaotic Dreidi Xeraic was able to defeat her brother. Siblings always paid good money for gossip like that. She would do anything for stories like that on Nitya and Asaraa.

Before she could decide on what dessert to go with the main meal, she was swept off her feet and landed hard on her back. The wind rushing straight out of her lungs as she felt the embarrassment of having victory snatched right out of her grasp because she could smell it. This was not great situation for her but she focused up hard. Switching her Lightsaber offer, she blasted Brandyn in the chest with a Force Push to create distance before spinning, leaping and shifting back onto her feet. Activating her Lightsaber swiftly once again.

"Sweeping the leg, interesting..." Learning more about the guy as they fought.

He was a little surprised that it worked, and how far her Force push set him back. Brandyn got back to his feet a little slower than she did. Given how much she had managed to best him, and the moment of desperation just escaped, he was feeling a tired worn out. He was rusty, and now it was starting to show. His saber had been hidden for too long while he had been undercover.

He breathed outwards, catching his breath and reading himself again. His stance was a little lackluster this time, his hand dropping more than it should. He opened his mouth to speak, to distract her with something that would make her blush or get annoyed at him. But this was not Briana. She was used to it. She was used to his petulant act. Dreidi didn't deserve to get the same treatment. And so, he needed to try and beat her on skill alone.

"...interesting. Yeah. Let's call it that so I can save face," he said, finishing her sentence for her.

Again he charged, this time with a different target. He came at her with his blade making a wide arc, swinging upwards from his lower right side to connect with her blade and push it up and away to his right. As he did so, he let go with his dominant right hand, and reached out with it to hand that grasped her saber and pulled it towards him. If he could grapple with her hand, turn her own saber back on her, then his other less dominant hand could also attempt a strike.

Dreidi could see that he was holding back, that there were attacks that he wanted to do but wouldn't allow himself to do. It was equal parts frustrating that he wasn't giving his all to this fight but it was also amusing since he would probably lose this fight because he wasn't giving his everything to it. "You know if we ever spar again, you should really put everything you got into it. Never thought you would be the type to be half hearted with these kinds of matches." There were probably more button pushing, comparisons to Briana that Dreidi could throw in there but for a first duel, she was going to go easy on him like he was on her.

As the attack came, Dreidi blocked the blow with her Lightsaber then felt Brandyn yank on her arm, holding her and trapping her. "You know, show really ask a girl to hold her hand." Dreidi teased as she released her grip on her own Lightsaber and dropped it into her other hand. Slicing at Brandyn's stomach with the blade. Hoping to cut at him and win the match there and then but in the likelihood of a block, Dreidi teleported out of his grip using her Magick again. Landing a couple feet away, she was now panting too. Using her Magick to teleport multiple times in a short span of time, it was not the easiest thing to do and she knew she couldn't do it again.

"Luckily I can be a little too slippery for your fingers it seems." Dreidi smirked as she taunted the other Padawan.

He pivoted, bringing his blade down at an ungainly angle to just barely swat her blow away, and then she was gone.

Brandyn grimaced as she evaporated from his grasp. Of course, she could escape from that easily enough. Well, at least he was getting to know more about how her powers worked. He stepped a few steps past where she had been, his momentum carrying him forwards.

"Come...on..."

He was annoyed, but more faking it now that before. He noted that she was getting tired. Perhaps there was a limitation on the powers frequent use.

"I am not holding back. This is the best I can do...you are just, better than me, I guess," he said, breathing heavily, and wiping sweat from his forehead. His shoulders felt heavy, and his mood more so. Losing was not something he enjoyed. Given that they were both getting tired though, maybe the playing field was still even.

His saber felt heavier in his hands, as if dragging through the air a little more. She was still waiting for him to press the attack. Perhaps it was foolhardy to oblige, but he did nonetheless.

With his last burst of willpower, and physical energy, Brandyn stepped forward with a similar pattern of strikes as his probing shots from before. This time though, he leant into the swings a little more, pushing forward with his back foot and swinging from his shoulders. Each blow would expend more energy, but hit hard.

Wiping the sweat from her own brow, Dreidi was glad to have her hair tied up and out of her eyes. Looking at Brandyn, she shook her head, "I don't believe you. If this is the best you can do then I feel sorry for Briana that she has to spar with you." Dreidi was goading him, she had seen the hesitation in him before and she was not going to win because Brandyn didn't give his all to the fight. Either she won against him at his best or they should not fight at all was Dreidi's mentality.

"I might be better than you, doesn't mean you say it or allow yourself to feel that. Otherwise I have already won, defeat starts in the mind." Dreidi stated, surprised that Brandyn would just admit he was losing before the final blow. Shrugging her shoulders, she couldn't teach him everything in fighting, she was far from an expert herself but Dreidi knew some things from experience and from what her Master had told her.

Watching Brandyn come forward with more aggressive probing strikes. Dreidi smirked, Makashi taught her how to defend well against blows like these. Parrying, blocking and directing the strikes into empty air. They were harder blows to defend against and Dreidi had to concentrate more on defending against the attacks, allowing herself to be slipperier to hit. Waiting for the opportunity to come when she could strike. Seeing a chance in his strikes, Dreidi dodged against one swing, letting it go above her.

Her strike came in the form of a fist to his gut, punching him as hard as she could with the aim to wind him. From the punch, she would splay her hand out and Force Push him point blank range, aiming to hit him hard backwards. It was a risky move but Dreidi was curious to see if she could get Brandyn back down on the ground and claim her victory there. The Padawan was trying to restore some confidence in her ability to win this since Brandyn had gotten close a few times to winning against her which made her realise to not underestimate him.

Dreidi's move worked. Brandyn nearly lost his balance entirely as the punch connected with his gut. His eyes went blurry, and before he knew it he felt a push hit him like an unexpected wave at the beach. He flew backwards, tumbling head over heals. His hand collided with the training mat, knocking his saber hilt loose which proceeded to fly off out of the ring itself.

When his vision cleared, Brandyn found himself face down on the ground, completely out of breath. His limbs felt weak, his mind and compulsion to continue even weaker still. Dreidi had won. Brandyn didn't want to fight anymore. Yes, he had given up.

He found it within himself to at least push up on to his hands and knees, but once he reached a somewhat pathetic kneel he crossed his arms. "You win...I forfeit," he said through heavy breathing.

He suspected that Dreidi would not be to impressed by this. To be honest, he didn't feel it was his proudest moment either. She just simply had more experience than him. Despite an apparent mismatch in strength, she was much wiser with her use of abilities and skills, where Brandyn was simply too much of a novice.

"Thanks for the practice, Dreidi," he said, rolling his shoulders to work out the painful kinks in his neck, "you have taught me a lot today."

The move worked which was amazing, Dreidi gotten Brandyn knocked down and she was moving in for the winning blow when he announced he forfeited. What? No! Why would you forfeit now? Dreidi couldn't comprehend a move like that, to just surrender even when the odds were against you, to surrender like that? Is that something both siblings would do? There was a lot of disappointment in Dreidi which just formed into anger, "why fight if you are just going to give up when things get rough? If the roles had been reverse, I would have fought till I couldn't stand. But perhaps that's why you lost, a lack of conviction." Dreidi stated coldly, deeply unimpressed with someone forfeiting.

However, she sighed, and she noticed the other Padawans watching them were not pleased with the way she was taking this victory. Could be seen as a sore winner mentality but Dreidi just wanted fight someone till she had nothing left. To be losing and see if she could figure something out. "Sorry, just... Not sure I got forfeiting when you still had a chance to win." Shrugging her shoulders, "guess the best thing to do is have you buy me dinner, to make up for souring my mood." Dreidi joked with a full attempt of deadpan seriousness that was undercut by her lips twitching into a smirk.

"Lets say, meet outside the temple in two hours? Gives us time to shower and change then. Also, better be willing to pay a lot since I ain't gunna have some tiny, salad cheap meal. Feeling a massive 3 or 4 course meal!" Dreidi stated firmly before dancing off to get prepped for this evening, thinking she got away with the perfect excuse for a free meal and chance to make a new friend.

What just happened?

Midst the moments after his defeat, Dreidi had become a whirlwind of energy, and words. Where she found the energy was mystifying. Brandyn was still struggling for breath. Even as she rounded the corner, Brandyn found himself glancing at the other Jedi around that had been watching the spar. He shrugged his shoulders. "Anyone know if this is normal for her?"

There was no small amount of debate that had gone on internally throughout his recovery time. He was betwixt two decisions, namely ignore Dreidi's demands, or abide by her demands. The former had all manner of appeal to him. He was still smarting after his loss - he refused to say capitulation. The latter of the decisions won out as the clearly obvious right thing to do, even though it felt a little bit of an imposition on his time.

So, as he stood outside at the prescribed time, Brandyn found himself tugging on the charcoal-coloured, silver-trimmed shirt. It fit fine. And matched the pants and boots he wore. It was just that he needed something to fidget with. He could be doing something else with his time, but was being made to go out to eat with Dreidi as a means of recompense for a clearly reasonable surrender.

A spike of high energy hit the range of his Force Sense, clearly Dreidi approaching. He turned, leaning on the speeder that was set to take them to the dining establishment that he hoped Dreidi had picked out.

"Look. I even sorted out the ride," he called out over the considerable distance she still had to walk.

Outfit: Casual wear

Dreidi adjusted her leather jacket and tucked her Padawan braid behind her ear. Letting her long hair frame her face and checked herself in the mirror. This was just a meal between two fighters but Dreidi wanted to gleam more information on why he would surrender. For Dreidi, it just didn't make sense, surrendering was never guaranteed to save your life. She had always been taught to fight, fight until the bitter end, to give everything she has and fight for her surrender.

Arriving at the meeting point, she smiled politely at Brandyn and let her boots guide her to the speeder. "How very smart of you, cause I found out there is a posh place in the financial district that does live music!" Dreidi exclaimed, the idea of checking out local music and watching others play, to learn and observe techniques, that was always a big interest of hers. It was just as important as food. Well... yeah, just as important as food! Dreidi jumped into the speeder herself and leaned back into the chair.

"This speeder got heated seats? Or a massage function?" Dreidi asked curiously as she looked around the speeder, she was more use to speeder bikes which didn't really have much but they always looked good in her mind. "I guess, I probably sounded really aggressive when I forced this on you. I just wanted a chance to talk more and maybe become friends?" Dreidi explained, the heat of battle finally faded away so that she could think about what she said and how she sounded, it was not her style really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom