Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A Journey through Memory

Green-Black.gif

Space was vast, silent and brought about no sense of comfort for the Nightsister. It had been years since she had left her home. She had not seen her clan in a long time, perhaps she was due to return soon. With a sigh, she guided the ship toward a nearby outpost. She needed to resupply, and perhaps there would be a few bounties to collect, and provide a boost in funds for a while.

This had been life for a while… travelling from place to place, taking bounties where they were posted to ensure she had the funds to search. Earning the name Siren, for the powers she had, all of it a necessary distraction for her main objective; searching for the one she had lost so long ago. The broken amulet around her neck was a constant reminder of the broken bond and unfulfilled promise she had to keep. It was delightfully unhelpful in locating her target. Occasionally it glowed or hummed, but there was too much interference. Was he hiding his power? Or had he abandoned the path?

Too many questions, but she did not need the distraction right now. She just needed to land the ship and see what local bounties were available, then she could sort out some supplies from there.

The planet was on the outer rim, and the nearest docking station was near a fort of some kind, she was unsure if it was abandoned or manned, but it wasn’t her business, unless the bounty was holed up in there. Til then, she pulled up the crimson hood over her white hair as she set down. Time to see what this backwater place had to offer.

BACKWATER

Business. Not Pleasure.

The people of the Knights Obsidian came from all walks of life. Some were reformed Sith who abandoned their warlike passions. Others were Jedi who wanted to actually contribute to the welfare of the Galaxy. Some were nobles. Others were everyday souls who figured out how telepathy worked. In the case of the Echani? He was a man born with a silver spoon in his mouth...and he traded it out for a plastic one. His family, House Vail, had reared him with all the trappings of a proper noble. The finest education. Learning abroad - from Corellia to Dathomir and all in-between. Var basically had every advantage in the world.

Yet, with such advantages came responsibilities. To lead. To be a shining example for his generation. Var wasn't about that life in the slightest. So, he departed from the life his family desired for him and took up criminal activities instead. Years of this caught up with him in an explosive manner, landing him behind bars for a spell. But, upon release (via jailbreak), he turned over a new leaf. The Echani evolved from criminal to criminal justice via the Knights Obsidian. He no longer ran from the law - he embodied it. Though, his manner of doing this was far from usual.

Take the current day as an example. There were slaver rings plaguing the Outer Rim as of late. Innocents from the southern systems were being plucked from transports and being sold to the highest bidder. That was a big no-no. But one doesn't find all the roaches by turning on the nearest light. One hires an exterminator to burn them out where they reside. Thus, Var was dispatched to a seedy watering hole. To verify where the scum were hiding. And then? To root them out. Garbed in his typical bomber jacket, the Echani did not look out of place among the filth. He sat at the bar, sipping a drink, while chatting up the barkeep for details.

They swapped hearty laughs - but with each joke, Var was getting closer to something big. He could feel it.

And in the case of the hooded witch? Her amulet was feeling it too. What was once broken and sporadic began to glow quite a bit brighter than it had in years. It hummed. It damn near tugged. Everything was screaming we've arrived.

Green-Black.gif

The moment she set foot on the planet surface, she felt the amulet ignite with heat. Her eyes widened, hand reaching into her robes to grasp the golden trinket. Was he here? The owner of the other half? She was frozen in place for a moment, did she dare to hope? Had the powers within brought her here? Or was this truly at random?

With a tingling in her fingers and toes, she began to hurry forward, following the hum and the heat in the item as she moved forward. She dared not hope, dared not wish for it… else the disappointment cut her down once more. She didn’t want to be punished for hoping again.

She set off into the twisting streets, looking for the location where the amulet was leading. Small, cramped streets, throngs of those avoiding the law. She began to realise where she was. This was a slaver planet. There were signs of it if one knew what to look for. And the witch did. She knew the signs first hand. She still bore the scars from removing the tattoo of her own slave mark.

Four years was enough of a torment for her, enough to break most of her spirit… the only thing she had held to was that amulet and the promise she had made. It kept her sane. Sometimes she was so foggy from the treatment that she wasn’t sure what was real… it now only appeared to her in nightmares.

The amulet was getting more insistent, almost levitating out from her hand, looking for it’s other half. She turned a corner, ahead was a seedy looking tavern… really? There was a strong pull toward it, whether through the magick or the Force, she was urged forward. There was no grand entrance, and the chatter was loud, almost deafening. The amulet dropped once more. It still burned, but now lay in wait. From beneath the hood she peered through the crowd, her green eye glowing in the shadows. This was it… somewhere here… was the one she had been looking for.

BACKWATER

"And then I fethed his motha!"

The vulgarities which spewed from the Echani's mouth were a river. Each syllable was a vile contribution to a story of darker days and bleaker nights. He wove a tale of exploits undertaken within the underbelly of society - the type of story that would get a positive reaction out of the barkeep. And judging from the way the portly man slammed his hand upon the counter, howling with laughter, Var was getting somewhere. Was the story true? Bits and pieces. Mostly hyperbole. But the barkeep didn't need to know that. All he needed to do was lighten up ever so slightly so that the Echani could sink in his hooks.

"But enough about bedside manner - what's a sod like me gotta do for credits 'round here?" The bait was laid out, and the barkeep bit. Leaning forward, the man paused only to wipe a bemused tear from his eye. "Right, feth" he began, attempting to compose himself. "now, I'm not supposed to tell any yahoo off the street this - so if you start flapping your gob, I'll kill ya." Var simply nudged the man with his elbow. "Snitches get buried." he affirmed.

"Damn right. So, edge of town there's a warehouse. Real rundown joint, can't miss it. Password is Bantha Life Day. Tell 'em I sent ya."

Var fished a few credits out of his pocket and left them on the countertop. He was about to order another drink and leave the remainder as a handsome tip when heat erupted in his pocket. Keeping composure, his eyebrow raised ever so slightly as his dominant hand dove into his pants. He felt the source of the temperature - the old trinket that he kept tied to his keyring. "What the..." he began, before resuming his "work." "Buddy! I'm gonna take a leak, the usual when I get back?" The barkeep simply tapped the counter in affirmation.

Rising, Var paused when he was a few paces away to remove his keys. The trinket was glowing a bright emerald and seemed to be tugging him in a direction. He recognized the Force at work, but didn't know the whats, the whys, or the hows. The trinket was from a lifetime ago - when the Echani was a good little son and did the bidding of his kin. Up to and including a year spent in the hottest parts of Dathomir for the sake of training. He shuddered at the thought. At least there was decent company back then. The same company who had given him the trinket.

Chit. Did that mean...

"Alright. Point me." he muttered, striding along in the direction he was bid. It was not long until he'd walk headlong into the cloaked form of another. With his attention placed firmly on his keys, he was far too occupied to realize that he damn near took out the woman with his shoulder. "Oh chit!" he exclaimed, before offering his dominant hand - apologetically. "My bad."

Green-Black.gif

Her hand lay upturned before her, the amulet emitting a buzzing hum she could feel more than see. The slight glow from her left eye glinting on the worn golden trinket. She had to wonder, did he still have the other half? Was it he that had the item or had he traded it away, forgotten their promise…? She would have to prepare for the worst if that came to pass. Would she be able to handle that?

As she moved through the crowd gracefully, her steps measured, she found herself distracted by the item, moving her hand back and forth to determine which way was correct.

The distraction proved to be foolish, as she did not see untill too late the man that barrelled into her. The rushed steps nearly knocking her down and caused her to slam into another burly-looking patron and spill his drink. She grasped the strangers hand as he offered it… but it was too late.

The Fanged God laughed at her today.

"Hey!" Growled the offended patron, turning to face her. He looked angry, very angry. "What do you think you're doing?" He looked ready to break her in half… not that he would be able to, but he certainly appeared to be thinking it.

"Walk away, friend." She spoke in a strange tone, a humming lull to her voice, the force shifting as she spoke. It was something she had learned over the years… and there was a reason she was called Siren. "Have another drink…" she tossed a few credits towards the bar in hopes it would distract them enough to avoid a fight. She couldn't be bothered with the confrontation right now. The amulet half in her hand blazed, almost with frustration at being ignored.

BACKWATER

The collision had more than one victim.

In his carelessness, the Echani had literally unseated a woman who was walking by. This had the carry over effect of seeing a nearby man's drink splash onto his shirt. Though Var was kind enough to reach down, apologetically, towards the woman - the angry man had no such courtesty. It wasn't her fault, but he didn't care. His drink was ruined, his shirt was a mess, and there was a fething strange woman to blame. The Echani wasted no time in helping the woman to her feet - and she immediately faced the oncomer. She advised him to walk away, speaking in a strange tone that made his own head feel thick. She then tossed credits towards the counter, advising to have another drink.

The man only seemed to get more annoyed at the thought. Not due to the fact that she covered the drink. But due to the sheer disrespect of the coinage being hurled across the room. "Just who tha feth do you think you are?!" he roared. He stepped forward, as if he was about to pummel the woman's face in. At that point, Var stepped in between them. "Whoa whoa." he began, raising his hands. "My fault! My fault. I bumped into her, she bumped into you - this is on me mate. I apologize." He then motioned towards the barkeep. "Listen, barkeep's my pal. Your drinks? On me tonight, just tell 'em Var sent ya and he'll get you fixed up."

The man huffed, but the offer of an evening of extra drinks was too good to pass up. "Fething watch it next time, clutz."

"Sure will." he replied, watching as the man strode off towards the bar. With the crisis avoided, Var turned towards the woman. "And I owe you an apology as well. So sorry for putting you in that positi-" His words trailed off, for the amulet clutched in his hand nearly leapt out. He caught the jewel, revealing its glimmering form to her gaze. "Well for some fethin' reason, this likes you. A lot."

Green-Black.gif

The man that had nearly knocked her about seemed to be a smooth talker, he managed to soothe the temper of the angry patron rather easily, the man begrudgingly turning away from her to return to his drinks. She made to step away but she had caught herself at the mention of his name.

Var.

Was it the same…?

As he turned toward her she caught sight of the golden trinket in his hand. Her mouth dropped open. There was no way.

“You…” she breathed, still unable to believe her senses. “Where did you get this?!” She gasped, her own amulet half glinting at her chest. She reached and picked it up, the action igniting the pull once more and it tried to reach for it’s other half.

She looked from the amulets to his face, one blue eye and the other ruined green glowing one assessing him, that youthful face she remembered, was that under all the scruff?

BACKWATER

The reaction was not what he had anticipated.

A simple question, amidst a glowing amulet in his palm, seemed to have taken the woman's breath away. The Echani lofted a brow when she asked where did he get this. It was not until she revealed her own amulet that the man's jaw dropped for but a moment. In the modern day, Var had told his comrades and clients alike that the amulet was a good luck charm. That, so long as he had it on him, he would not worry about being maimed or but six feet under.

What he never divulged was that there was history tied to it. History from so long ago. When he was a good son hearkening to the whims of his family.

All at once, the memories flooded back. Of a girl who gifted him the amulet in parting. One of his first friends, in fact. The sole contradiction to months of grueling training and even harsher living conditions. She had made things at least bearable. Now...

"If memory serves, you gave it to me a lifetime ago." he said, closing his fingers around his own amulet. "Dathomir, yeah?"

Green-Black.gif

She couldn’t believe it, though this was where her path had led, and the power had brought here here, she was still amazed that he had walked back into her life as easily as he was stolen from it. She still remembered her words to him ‘...I will find you no matter how far you are taken, and when I do… I will stand at your side…’

She had of course undertaken the training with him, he was taught some of the ways of the Nightbrothers and Sisters, in trade for power given to the Great Mother of her clan. Months tracking Rancors, being alone in the wild jungles and swamps, avoiding death narrowly. He was the one who had connected with her more powerfully than her own sisters had. She had never met another like him.

“Dathomir…” She nodded slowly. After a moment she regained herself, and dropped to one knee before him, a hand across her chest and her head bowed. “My Lord…!” She looked up at him, “I swore an oath to you years ago, and though I have been delayed, to that oath I hold. I am at your service.”

This Nightsister only had one master, only one that she owed her loyalty to beyond her clan, And finally, after years… here he was.

BACKWATER

The Echani raised his hands.

Whilst the amulet yet hummed within his grasp, Var balked as the woman descended to a single knee. Being declared 'My Lord' in the middle of a busy cantina was a sure fire way to draw unnecessary attention; especially when he was attempting to milk information out of the locals. Thus, when the Nightsister greeted him in accordance to their oath, Var immediately bent over and slipped his hand underneath her arm. "Up up up up up." he repeated quickly, before spotting an open booth. "Here."

He wasn't asking, and practically led her by the hand into the booth. Once settled, the Echani released a pent-up exhale. Fortunately enough, as far as he could tell, the attention of the barkeep hadn't been drawn. The mission was still live; but he could return to that at his leisure. Right now, he had a chapter of the past that was before his eyes.

And though the sudden kneel had taken him by surprise, Var couldn't help but smile. "Zaiya." he breathed. It was a name he hadn't uttered in what felt a lifetime. But here she was, in the flesh. The vow was...faint in his memory. What he remembered more than anything was the time they spent together. The adventures. The pushing one another to do their best. Hell, at one point, she had bet him a peck on the cheek if he could beat her in a sprint.

He won.

"I am...so happy to see you! I heard that things on Dathomir had been going to chit since the Sith Empire moved in. Catch me up - are you okay?"

Green-Black.gif

It seemed that her greeting was over the top, and the way he glanced around made her curious. She understood well enough, he was looking to see if they had been spotted. Was he on a job of some kind? Hopefully he would be able to give her some information so that she might assist him better.

She took a seat at the booth and nodded in thanks. Then he said her name. Her real name. She let out a little chuckle. “It’s been a while since anyone called me that, usually I go by Siren when collecting bounties.” She rested her arms on the table before her, looking up to gaze at him, he was a man now, no longer the boy with the rounded cheeks she had last seen. He even had facial hair now… and a much harder look in his eyes. It was still hard to believe she had found him.

“I am better than ever.” She smiled, glancing down at the table for a moment, a wistful smile crossing her face. “I have been looking for you since I left Dathomir, I was… held up at a few points, but I got here eventually.” Eventually of course being the better part of ten years. Though she did not regret a moment of it. “I take the occasional job hunting bounties, or transporting goods, most know me as Siren.” She tilted her head to look back at him, one eye the same as he would have remembered, a sparkling blue… the other now a glowing green hole where her left eye had been. “What of you? You aren’t in the… ‘grand company’ I last saw you in.” Part of her wanted to take his hand, for the childish fear that he might disappear if she did not hold on to him. Though she was not a child anymore. ​

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom