Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A Healing Lesson.

div-green.png

Objective: Learn more about healing
Equipment:
Lightsaber - Blaster
Tags: Kat Decoria Kat Decoria
Healing was something that Shan had always been interested in. Helping others, making sure that they didn't die or have to deal with being in pain. It was one of the reasons why the Padawan enjoyed being a Jedi. Sure, he used to do some basic first aid things before joining the Order, but the Force allowed him to try and heal that which he couldn't figure out a physical treatment for. After all, he wasn't a doctor. Though thanks to Iris' words, Shan had set his eyes on becoming one in the future. right now, he was far too busy with his padawan training, and worrying about things such as his mother or the wars to actually go ahead with his training but that wasn't going to last forever. Things might look like they were dark now, but the Padawan just had to remind himself that at the end of every blot of darkness, there was also a ray of light. He just needed to focus on doing what he enjoyed until he was in the light, so what better thing than to try and learn something new?

That's why after hearing about Lily Decoria Lily Decoria 's aunt, Shan decided it would be best to try and meet up with the fellow Jedi. He had already did a bit of work under Amani but that didn't mean he couldn't learn from other healers as well. Knowledge was something to be shared, not kept to yourself. Especially with something that is as life-saving as medical care. The more people who knew it, the more people that could survive and the more people who survived, the less pain there would be in the world. At least that was how Shan was trying to see things like that. It was partly to justify his pacifism but it was still something the young Padawan still believed in. It was also how Shan was starting to justify himself fighting as well however. If he treated himself fighting people, as treating an illness, or some form of disease, then it was much easier for him to believe in what he was doing.

None of that was important right now however as Shan arrived at the halls of healing, taking a small look around. He was sure that Lily had told Kat that he would be arriving, so he wasn't too worried about yelling out. He was doing his best to stay quiet for now, mostly because there were going to be people who were trying to rest in the room, and if he started to yell his head off, well...there wouldn't be getting much rest now, would they?

Outfit: This
Tag: Shan Pavond Shan Pavond

Lily had mentioned to Kat that a friend of hers was looking to learn more about healing. That he was a pacifist and sought out methods that were non-violent in nature. It was curious and it was more curious that Lily spoke of him in high regard was also curious since she was so battle focused, so intensely fond of sparring and fighting, for Lily to find someone she respected who was the opposite. It made Kat curious. So she had agreed to a meeting but stated it had to be in the Halls of Healing, she was busy with work and loads of different patients, paperwork and going over several different details, for Kat it was impossible for her to take time away from that to talk to someone.

She was drinking a strong brew of caf in her office as she heard a voice calling out. Her eyes had been glued to the data logs that she was checking out. There was some tests a patient went through and the results seemed unusual in her mind. The scans were bringing back results that did not match the ones she was seeing from the patient themselves. Feeling Shan's presence in the Force took her out of the reading and had her store the stuff away. Grabbing her doctor's jacket, Kat headed out and looked over to Shan.

Now she understood why Lily was so happy to talk highly of him. He was simply a handsome man in Lily's eyes.

Kat really needed to talk to Lily about not being so thirsty over guys. Clearly being sheltered heavily by Rose meant that feelings and emotions were exploding out of Lily now that weren't there before. But Kat didn't say a word to Shan, Lily would die of embarrassment and Kat wasn't going to embarrass her niece like that, not yet at least.

"Shan?" Kat called out and gave a small wave, "Kat Decoria. Hear you are looking to focus your skills on healing and not a fan of fighting." Cutting straight to the point, "what can I do to help?" She held no judgements and fully understood Shan's wishes, they were not too dissimilar to how Kat herself had been for a long time as a Force User roaming the galaxy.

div-green.png

Equipment:
Lightsaber - Blaster
"A pleasure to meet you Knight Decoria." Shan made sure to show Kat the respect she deserved straight off the bad, giving her a small bow before standing up straight and brushing off his robes. Where did he want to begin with asking for help? It was difficult if he was being honest. Whilst he thought of himself as a healer, he knew he was far from actually being a skilled one. He only knew the basics, alongside how to use the Force to try and heal but there was still more he could learn about it.

"I want to be able to widen my knowledge of how to heal people without the Force. Sure, learning new ways with the Force would be helpful as well, but I don't want to rely on it. There'll be points where I'll have to deal with not having the Force. And if someone dies, because I don't have the knowledge to save them? I don't think I'd be able to handle it. There's a difference between being unable to save someone because I can't, and being able to save someone but not having the knowledge to."

By the Force. Shan felt like he had talked a bit too much then, giving an awkward chuckle as he ruffled the back of his hair, taking a look around the Halls in thought. He had rarely ever visited this part of the temple, mostly since he normally headed out onto the streets of Coruscant to do his healing. There were plenty of capable healers in the temple, who would be able to deal with the patients here, but he felt like there weren't enough people who were proactive and went into the city to help...Hm...Proactive healing. That was starting to give Shan an idea of something he could do in the future. Being a battlefield medic would allow him to save more lives than just waiting for people to come to him...

But that wasn't important for today as he just broke out into a small smile and nodded towards Kat. "That's the main gist of it all, Ma'am. I want to do my best to help people. And since fighting isn't something that comes naturally to me, but healing is, I thought you'd be the most logical person to turn to, after I heard about you from Lily."

"Please, just call me Kat. Never been a fan of titles and formalities," Kat waved her hand casually as she was more than happy for Shan to just address her by her first name. "It's nice to meeting you as well Shan, Lily speaks highly of you which is impressive since she usually isn't a fan of pacifists." Kat mentioned with a soft chuckle, her arms crossed over her chest as she listened to what Shan had to say about what he wanted to achieve and sensing the ideas and thoughts that were circling the mind of the Padawan.

Kat's lips smirked as she understood the position Shan was in all too well, "Following the path of a healer is a noble one, a tough one as well. Especially since we deal with a whole host of issues and variety of problems that mean we must study extensively and deeply. To heal someone, you must understand their biology, their physiology as it was your own. It takes a long study, a lot of reading and it is not an easy feat." Kat had given a similar speech to Iris Arani Iris Arani years ago when Iris had shown a similar interest in being a healer.

"There is plenty here though that can help you achieve greatness as a Jedi Healer, or a Jedi Doctor. Don't feel too distressed or overwhelmed, the skilled Jedi Healers are all here to help you grow, a lot of us have battle medic experience as well." Kat stated, she knew there were others that were just as skilled or not more skilled than herself that can offer him guidance as well. "Learning how to use the Force to heal the body is noble and good, but a true healer needs to be able to help heal the mind and body. The mind is something that you can't use the Force to heal either, and with war looming, a lot of Jedi will be facing things they aren't ready for."

Trauma from war was high and it was important that a healer knew how to help there as much as they knew how to heal a person's body, "but that comes later down the line, for now, how about you see me work and give me a hand with my rounds with patients?" Kat offering a chance to see her at work and give her a hand so he got some practical experience too.

div-green.png

Equipment:
Lightsaber - Blaster
Shan blinked for a moment. Lily spoke highly of him? That was a surprise that the Mirialan was not expecting. "Oh. I thought she wasn't too fond of me. We had a small little disagreement in our first meeting" Either way he turned his attention over towards the Healer as she gave her speech, giving a short nod afterwards. It made sense to him, and it was also part of why he wanted to learn more about natural ways of healing people, as opposed to just using the Force. The Force was almost like...a cure-all, in his eyes but he wanted to learn how to help people specifically.

"Exactly. I want to learn more about the physiology of different species to help. If someone is struggling to breathe, someone might try to give them extra oxygen, but in species where it's toxic, like Kel-Dor, that would cause more harm than help." The main reason his mind went over towards Kel-Dor was because of Ko Vuto Ko Vuto and the recent state the Kel-Dor had been in after the battle on Ryloth. That was more than likely going to happen more often in the future, with other species so if Shan was able to help as much as he could, then he'd be able to feel proud of himself.

"I've had some battlefield experience with trying to help people. But it's mostly treating twisted ankles or minor cuts while I'm helping people evacuate. I did help Chief Healer Amani with a mission a while back as well." The Mirialan didn't want to seem like he was inexperienced. Whilst he was in the grand scheme of things, there were still some things that Shan had experienced. However, he kept a smile on his face, especially at the offer to get some practical experience. Getting to work was something that always helped the Mirialan, it was almost like he was meditating when he was going through all of the different steps and techniques.

"I would love to help out Knight Dec-...Kat. Sorry. Bad habit. I'd love to see someone experienced get to work." He never had a chance to actually see Amani work properly, mostly since they were both healing at the same time, whereas this time he'd be able to get a few minutes to actually watch before he needed to help.

Kat chuckled a fair amount when Shan stated that he assumed that Lily did not like him, "if Lily wasn't someone who liked you, first off, we wouldn't be talking like this. And secondly, you wouldn't see her again, let alone be someone she invites out to hang with her." Lily was very quick to cut those she disliked out of her life. That included people she had a single heated argument with, what Shan might have seen as a disagreement or argument, Lily saw more as a spirited conversation.

"Well, the best way to learn those things is to simply sit down in a library and study them. Until you demonstrate some understanding of other species physiology, no good professional healer will let you assist them in the more practical healing elements. The damage you could do could be more harmful than the original injuries if you don't have the experience needed." Kat stated, she didn't mean to frighten or put Shan off the idea, but stressing that their job was strict and impossible for someone to just jump in on without studying heavily in advance. "It is good to know that you seek to help all those you might come across, and would be useful in the field of combat. I did a lot of combat healing myself, tough gig and never pretty. But crucial since not everyone can make it to a hospital or medical facility in time."

Nodding her head, it was good to get experience healing with some of the best healers around and Amani was one of them. "That's good. Are you studying much? Hitting the books and comprehending what is there?" There was a massive difference between just sitting and reading what a book had to offer and ensuring that you sat and fully understood everything being stated. "Doing that portion of the work will see you getting more chances than minor cuts and twisted ankles. Especially with war looming." Kat was foreshadowing that the minor injuries he had treated were things that he would be wasting effort and time on if the war with the Sith and Mandalorians truly kicked off.

"Come on then, I will talk about the case as we walk." Taking a long sip of her caf as she began to walk towards the location of her patient. The way she walked and the way she held herself, it was very reminiscent of how Lily held and walked herself, it was clear how closely related and the deep bond between Kat and Lily was.

"The patient is a Zabrak, came in with a high fever, cuts to their arms and torso. Currently displaying some amnesia with no memory of the events leading up to being in hospital. Since they came in, their fever has increased, suffered several issues breathing and muscle spasms. Any ideas on what could be causing all this?" Kat asked with a pointed question to see what Shan would react to the information he had been given and how he would want to approach things.

div-green.png

Equipment:
Lightsaber - Blaster
Hm...That made sense that Lily wouldn't be talking to Shan at all if she didn't like him. That was actually reassuring for the Padawan as he let out a sigh of relief. That was something he didn't have to worry about anymore, though if you asked him why he was worried about it, the Mirialan wouldn't be able to explain it. After all, Lily was only one person. So why would he care what she thought? He shook his head, trying not to focus on that, turning his attention over towards Kat instead as she started to talk, making sure to pay attention to every word that he could.

"I've been studying as much as I can in my free time. I used to do a lot more studying before I became Master Noble's padawan, but then I had to start focusing on my lightsaber training as well which made things a lot more...time consuming. I can't exactly focus on studying whilst I'm swinging a lightsaber about...Or maybe I can. I just haven't tried hard enough." Shan rubbed his chin in thought at that part. Maybe he just needed to try and focus more on his studying than just coming up with excuses like he currently was. "It just feels more natural to me to heal people, as opposed to trying to fight them. I want to prevent pain, not add more pain to the universe. There are enough people who cause pain and damage, but I don't feel like there are enough people who want to heal it. Even for Jedi."

He had been doing his hardest to practice as much as he could with what he learned, nodding to Kat carefully. "In my free time, I've been heading out onto the streets, to try and help those who can't afford to actually get any treatment for their injuries. Most of the time it's just bandaging a few wounds of their's, or making sure they're keeping the wounds clean which is...hard on the streets. Also make sure to give them some form of nourishment whilst I'm out there. I want them to know that even if they're just a small person, that doesn't mean people don't care about them. It might not be a great use of my time but...people need to know the Jedi do care about them. That they're important, even if the rest of the universe might seem like they've forgotten them."

He hurried off after Kat, blinking at how much she seemed to remind him of Lily. If he just turned off part of his brain, it would just be like he was standing with Lily herself. But he wasn't the kind of person to mix people up. At least...not on accident. It was nice to see how connected the two family members seemed to be...but it also made Shan ever so slightly upset that he doesn't have any connection like that to any of his family members. His mother was currently missing and his father had tried to shoot him. Not exactly great family bonding time at the end of the day.

They arrived at the patient, and Shan listened as Kat gave Shan updates on their condition, and the Mirialan went to work thinking as he rubbed his chin in thought. "Have you done any blood tests to check for any drug residue? It's possible they're dealing with an addiction. It might not necessarily be some kind of disease. Though it could be Calcification...or maybe he was taking Vue. I wouldn't be able to figure that out without information from the patient but with him having amnesia..."

"Learning how to fight, how to defend yourself is just as important as learning how to heal. Can't save anyone on the battlefield if the enemy can slaughter you." Kat stated firmly, she wasn't a fan of seeking out conflict and was not the battle focused that Lily was but Kat was still Echani and combat still had its uses in her mind. "Doesn't mean you seek the fight out, doesn't mean fighting is the best way to handle someone, but not everyone will give you a choice. They will come at you with all they have, they will try to kill you and stop you from saving others. Knowing how to defend yourself and prevent that. That is what will make you a healer suited for any and all situations."

Hearing that Shan did free treatments without oversight made Kat pause and look at him, "you have no professional training and still a student, providing care without oversight is reckless. Even the minor care that you provide, something could go wrong, and things could get worse without you realising or knowing how to prevent it." Kat was very serious in this moment, she knew Shan only meant well but there were dangers he would not be able to understand since he was still learning, "I appreciate you want to help those who can't afford care or seek it out, but there are free clinics all over Coruscant and out in the galaxy. I know because I do work there. Volunteer for one of them, guide people to those clinics, have the appropriate oversight when providing any medical care as a student."

"For this case, why do you think withdrawal symptoms?" Kat asked pointedly, she sipped her caf, she was curious why Shan came to the conclusion he had, "does the patient look the addict to you? Do the symptoms I provided suggest drug use?" She was shifting around the patient's bed, the Zabrak was unconscious for now though clearly sweating and feverish.

Looking at Shan, "blood works are done immediately when its a fever, looking for signs of infection and with the amnesia, blood work was done for drug testing. They were cleared for any drugs, however they seemed to have signs of infection but nothing was detected." Kat mentioned, offering a little more insight, seeing what he made from that. "So, now you have no patient history due to the amnesia, no drug history that we could detect and signs of an infection but we can't find an infection in the body. How would you proceed there?"

div-green.png

Equipment:
Lightsaber - Blaster
"I know how to fight. I'm just saying it feels...wrong. Fighting is not my nature. It never will be." Shan sighed to himself at that. Every day, it was getting harder and harder for Shan to find someone who seemed to have the same kind of mindset as himself. "I know not everyone will give me a choice. I've fought against Sith before. Slavers. Gang members." He tried not to let his frustration get the better of him. Calm. Peace. The Mirialan focused on his breathing, focusing on the image of a gentle pond.

Though his frustration only seemed to grow as Kat seemed to reprimand him for doing what he had been doing for years at this point. For doing things that had gotten him beaten black and blue back on Nar Shaddaa. "You might work at the clinics, yes, but I was raised around people too afraid to go to the authorities for help. Too afraid that they'd be seen as potential targets for criminals, for seeking out help." The gentle pond in his mind was slowly starting to get more and more ripples, as Shan's frustrations grew. "I have spent years, before I even joined the Order, cleaning people's injuries, bandaging them, making sure they weren't going to die from an infection. I also have the scars to prove that I helped people, even when I shouldn't have. But of course. Next time, I'll just leave them to bleed instead of bandaging their wounds, and tell them where to walk to." He didn't mean to be snappy, but the Padawan was starting to get...fed up over it all. Nothing he seemed to do was right for anyone. He goes against his nature to try and learn how to fight? It's not good enough. He does what he had done for years? It was reckless and wrong.

He flexed his fingers, trying to relax and calm himself down as Kat asked why Shan thought there might have been drug use. "Vutalamine would make sense as a possible drug because of his condition. Considering the calming benefits of it, alongside the side effects that if it's taken for long periods of times, it can cause amnesia. It can also be used to treat muscle spasms, as to what we're seeing him go through now. Another side effect is the...less than positive thoughts it can cause the taker to have, which could explain the marks on his arms and torso." Shan gave a short nod once he had finished talking, before turning his attention back to the patient.

"There's no signs of infection in the body...Is it possible the body is reacting to something that isn't there? It thinks there's an infection, but there isn't. So the patient's body is going to get more and more of a fever, whilst the body is trying to fight off something that isn't there?" It was more of a question than an actual answer he was giving. It didn't hurt for the Padawan to ask questions. He was meant to be learning after all.

"I'm not saying let it become natural or something you have to enjoy." Kat faced Shan and looked him sympathetically in the eye, "I fought wars, I lost people because I wasn't able to lead them to safety. I fought Sith, slavers, bounty hunters and more. Everyone has, no Jedi enjoys it or seeks it out. We do it because doing it saves lives. So, when people get on you to learn how to fight, it isn't because they are keen for violent Shan." Kat then paused and chuckled, "well, maybe Lily would be but she is young. My point is, don't see it as a chore, see it as another tool to save lives. No different to medical tools."

When the topic shifted to Shan arguing that he has been helping others without supervision and for a long time. Kat sighed and shook her head, "you are a kid. I have been doing medical work since before you were born. I might look in my 20s, but I am over 30. So, don't presume I am preaching this out of callousness and stoic nature." Kat stood firm, "I know it might be hard not to treat those that are in need but you do not know how to correctly assess and treat people. You might think you have made them better, and only make them worse. Take this patient for example."

Kat gestured to the patient.

"You presume it is an addiction, that this is a drug they took to cause the scratches and symptoms. However, it was poison. A toxin that faded before it could be discovered but left the body attacking nothing and eventually itself." Kat stated, "there is no way that you would be able to know this in the field and you would have only been able to treat what you could see. But he would have assumed himself fine then would have died two days later because you put a band aid on something more extreme." Kat was not being harsh in her tone or judgemental of Shan, she knew he only wanted to do good but she needed to highlight that his actions could have severe consequences. "You say you don't want to cause harmful ripples, but not being supervised while you are still a Padawan, still learning the medical basics, that will cause harmful ripples. I am not saying ignore those in need, or not to help, but to do so responsibly and guided by those your senior."

Kat placed the patient's chart back in place, "this isn't me having a go, or attempting to say you are doing poorly. It is just me stating that even I wouldn't work alone, treating people when I was a Padawan with medical experience matching yours. Too much can go wrong and that is too much burden for you to have. That is why there are trainers like myself, like chief Amani. We are here to lessen that burden and make sure you understand mistakes and errors. Like having a fixed mindset on addiction to drugs causing injuries like this and not thinking it could be an attack."

"Do you wish to continue?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom