Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A Hand in Open Greetings

A tree? How could it grow so big? Leea allowed the realization to seep in for a moment. Unless the tree were far closer than it appeared, it would be truly enormous. Tiland's reference to the native Kashyyyk tree meant little to the Mirialan, she had only ever heard of such things and their size was but an abstract consideration. This growth, so far away, held more reality to her than the mention of trees on a jungle world. Felucia never had anything this big.

Her curiosity momentarily overwhelmed her realization of what the mystic had suggested a moment a later. She asked with wonder flowing outward, "Did this come naturally? Or did the Jedi make it grow like that?"

Then came the realization he had suggested she had a connection to the Force. A plethora of thoughts flooded her mind in no particular order. Me, a Jedi? If I did though... That can't be. I've never... never been different. Jedi have power! I could be a monster. But then why haven't I felt it? Perhaps confusion best served as the overarching emotion, but a broad range passed in a just a few moments. Anger flared, surprise flashed, interest formed, giddiness hopped, pride swelled and so on. Leea seemed unable to contain the emotions and for a moment she lost track of her own thoughts. For a fleeting second, gibberish spilled from her lips, swiftly coalescing into a coherent response, "I can believe it was destiny that brought me here, in fact, I am certain of it." Leea's heritage had maintained a semblance of her race's inherent mysticism, but only a faint similarity remained and this particular Mirialan had long fostered the belief, many a close call and near miss had cemented the trust.

She continued with a somewhat less certain, almost apologetic tone, "I think you may be mistaken, perhaps this world's Nexus has altered something. I had a similar experience on Weik. A Jedi there mistook me as one of his kind as well. I am not a Jedi." A misnomer from a lackluster upbringing on galactic affairs, Leea had come to associate any wielder of the Force with the term 'Jedi.' Her brief experiences with Force users in the past had not expounded upon this inherent misunderstanding, rather it had reinforced it.

At the memory of Weik and the crash that stranded her on the planet for a time, Leea gazed thoughtfully at the simple table. It construction reminded her of the people on that world. Perhaps its something about worlds like that. I had no nightmares while trapped there, although that was before they had really begun in earnest. One of the locals said something about a nexus as well. Perhaps the Force reacts strangely around me. Is it a sign of destiny?

Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun

Leea Pandac Leea Pandac

As she asked the questions, Tiland could only shrug. "The tree was there like that when I found the world some ways back. As was this monastery." He gestured to the buildings around them. "We have done nothing but replace the refreshers with modern ones. This world is a mystery. We don't know who lived here, except from what fragments of the ancient script we've been able to translate. But it seems that the original inhabitants lived in full harmony with the world as their constructions and intervention in the planet appear to be fully natural, utilizing what the ecosystem already provided and making it thrive even more than it had been."

He sat in silence as he watched the feelings and emotions ripple across her face and through her presence. It was a lot to take in and accept for many. Understandable, because it meant there was a significant change in their understanding of reality, especially when it depended on what they thought Force users were, or their experiences were with the Force. At her next words, he smiled and shook his head slowly.

"Destiny and the Force are often one and the same, as for not being a Jedi, you are quite right," He held a gentle laugh inside, but a smile shone in his eyes. "The Jedi are a group one can choose to belong to or not, although perhaps groups is a more accurate term these days. It's a code, a belief system, and ideology. Just as the Sith are another group based on ideology and values. Same with the Zeison-Sha, Jal'Shey, Findsmen, and countless other Force sects."

He tapped his chin for a moment, eyes closed as he stretched his senses to be as precise and certain as possible, before nodding, and opening again. "I have been mistaken about many things on many times, but in this I am certain. You are what we refer to as Force-sensitive. It is an inherent ability some sentient beings are born with. Like how some are born with perfect pitch or extra-sensitive taste or the aptitude for works of artistic genius. But like any gift, it takes work and focus to hone it. I suspect this is why it was noticed here and on Weik. These planets are rich with the Force and amplify a person's own inherent gifts to a more noticeable level."

Tiland chewed on his mustache for a moment as he considered for a metaphor, but couldn't think of one. "If you wish, you can work on developing your own awareness of your gift and abilities, and over time, it will grow stronger and more noticeable. If you do not, however," He shrugged, "It will be like it has always been. Sleeping deep beneath the surface until it either fades away or something forces it to act. The choice is yours, just as much as your own investment in your healing process is yours as well."

A world where the natives, or at least some previous inhabitant, had been able to shape it in perfect harmony. That concept simultaneously impressed and intrigued Leea. That sounded not dissimilar to the tales she recalled of the ancient Jedi. Moving things with their minds, controlling others with a thought, bend reality to their wills, those were things the Jedi could do. And yet, the Jedi were not the only ones with the Force?

What followed was not a great deal of information, however, it was earth-shattering. Leea had difficulty comprehending the idea, Jedi were not the conglomerate containing all 'Force-users,' but rather a sect? Her mouth lay slightly agape for some time while she tried to process the concept. It seemed that she barely had time to overcome this revelation when Tiland continued with yet more. Her, a Force-user, the idea seemed interesting, but at the same time, she was deeply concerned about what it could mean. For every story of the Jedi as heroes, there had been just as many with them as villains.

Torn between the two states, Leea reverted to a little bit of advice she had learned in her time on Dantooine, "Never pass up a learning opportunity, it might save your backside someday." Leea took a moment to formulate her thoughts and spoke slowly, tentatively, "If I were to train this ability, I would have control of it? Would it be a danger to anyone?" Her voice dropped to just above a whisper, the Mirialan could easily have been mistaken for talking about some taboo subject, given her sudden furtive glances and almost concerned tone, "What would the training entail?" Her mind had run ahead with images of the Jedi, or more properly Force-users, in the holo-dramas. She could imagine herself having to run through the forests of this world, hunting down a place to train in, meditating on some distant peak, or even fighting a wild creature. Truly, she knew so little of it, and yet she felt like this might be something worth trying. If nothing else, she would experience some of the training and be able to walk away if it should turn in a direction she felt uncomfortable with.

Leea Pandac Leea Pandac

Tiland sat in silence again, heating another pot of tea as the young student wrestled with the information he had just given her. It was a lot, yes. It was hard to remember the way that those not immersed in the Force viewed the Jedi and the mysteries of the Force. It did more than change stereotypes and misunderstandings. It fundamentally changed how one thought the universe worked. Turned it all upside down, in many cases.

As she spoke, Tiland nodded with a smile. "Indeed! Learning is always something of value." As she began to roll out the questions, letting them spill out one by one, Tiland waited, letting them all finish before speaking.

He spoke carefully, with great thought. "Would it be a danger, perhaps it could. As for controlling it..." He simply shrugged. "I do not know if I truly control the Force or follow its promptings. In many ways, the Force guides me more than the other way around. But yes, there is a risk of losing control and using it in a destructive manner. This is one of the great dangers, as to wield the Force destructively and under the control of emotions..."

His voice trailed off. "Well, you've seen what the Sith can do, although that is not the primary purpose, or even nature, of the Force." The last question was the most practical and he moved to that rather than getting lost in the many rabbit trails of mysticism and esotericism that such a discussion would entail.

"The first stages of training would be to continue the path of letting your mind and body heal. Then would come the path of learning mental and emotional detachment and silence, followed by learning to feel the Force all around you. Those are the three fundamental steps before anything more complex would be included. But in the meantime, I can train you in the Way of the Light Hand, a form of martial arts I created for Jedi from an amalgamation of about a dozen others. It emphasizes physical conditioning, intense self-awareness, and the continuous movement of energy, as well as creating a form of continuously moving meditative state. It can be of great assistance in learning more of the mysteries of the Force."

Uncertainty seemed once more to take hold and Leea indulged it. There was much to be said about this Force and everything connected to it, that much was clear. Leea was confident that there was much Tiland could have spoken of, deeper thoughts and debates that would have probably been more than the Mirialan could have possibly comprehended. The idea that the Force was not something controlled, but rather a controlling influence, was disturbing. It was almost as if he had said the weapons a soldier wielded, or the starship Leea piloted, had a will of their own and that they were driven by this internal will, rather than the external person. It frightened her.

Yet, though the Force had a will and might control those attuned to it, it was possible for people such as the Sith to use it in a destructive manner that defied its nature? The seeming paradox simply muddled what clarity Leea thought she had grasped hold of. Enigmatic. Seems that is true, even outside of the holos. She wondered if there was any way to truly comprehend the Force, at least in the way she would have found fulfilling.

Fortunately, it seemed the master knew not to dwell on these more esoteric subjects, especially with a novice so uncertain already. Perhaps he had a sense of what would catch the student's attention; indeed, at the mention of training and specific steps, Leea seemed to perk up. What filled her mind was soon pushed aside as Tiland presented a straight-forward plan. It was easy to follow these concepts, battle plans and training regimes, knowing that there would always be those uncertainties that were liable to necessitate unforeseen changes. Nonetheless, structure was something she had grown quite accustomed and dependent on, and her life had been filled with enough chaos that she would readily leap at the promise.

"That sounds intriguing, and if you believe it would help, then I guess I should defer to your judgment." She was intrigued at his offer, meditation seemed an interesting style to integrate with martial arts. "How would you recommend we start?"

Last edited:
Leea Pandac Leea Pandac
Sorry for taking so long. Had a wild, rough few months with posting

"My judgment?" Tiland answered with a wry smile and quirked an eyebrow. "The decision is yours and yours alone. I can explain my perspective, but ultimately this is something you must choose for yourself." His voice was gentle, but there was a seriousness to it.

He paused to make another cup of tea and considered the answer to the last question. "As with any journey, the answer ultimately comes down to the first step."

Another pause as he inspected the tea with all of his focus there on that rather than anything else. But then he looked up again. "A clear, healthy mind will be essential at the beginning. I can teach you to meditate and eventually to maintain a meditative state in conjunction with the rudimentary conditioning and training exercises, but until your mind has recovered, I don't judge it prudent to go beyond that. Too much of your spirit and mind will be out of balance. What do you think?"

The Jedi spoke the truth, Leea guessed that her mind was not calm enough to think straight for extended periods, let alone find the centred tranquillity that deeper meditation required. With time, perhaps, she might discover within herself some wellspring of peace that had been hitherto untouched. Or maybe Tiland would find this potential pupil a quick study in the art of quieting the self. Time was, regardless, the ultimate deciding factor. The Mirialan could not guess at her own strengths of abilities in this, a field unknown and entirely alien to her.

Tiland paused, perhaps to gather his thoughts, or maybe there was some deeper force guiding him, Leea could not begin to guess. At any rate, he continued with only the briefest of moments flickering away. He ultimately prodded her for her opinion. As if the one just initiating their path had any right to judge the future. Leea gave a wan smile as she replied, "I think you know what is best in this area. This is your particular field of learning, and you no doubt have had experience with preparing others and guiding them on their journeys of growth. I see no reason to doubt your conclusions, other than my own ignorance driving me onwards. I shall take your advice and begin with the process of healing. I guess we'll see where it goes from there?" Her voice took on a sombre thoughtful tone, before ending with a hint of hopefulness at some contemplation of the future.

No problem! Life is a bit up in the air right now for everyone. I'm a little slow on the replies myself right now. Take as much or as little time as you need and/or want.

Leea Pandac Leea Pandac

Tiland listened to her words and considered them, turning them over in his mind before slowly nodding.

“I may be very experienced and knowledgeable, but that you and you alone are the expert on your own self.” The words were still thoughtful as he mulled them over. “But let us proceed then and focus on the first pillar of the Light Hand. Harmony with yourself. It is the most crucial and it’s the skill which everything will build on.”

He glanced up at the sky and peered through the doorway to the early morning light. “But I think that is enough of the sitting and discussing for now. This world is a marvel of permaculture and harmony within the Force. There is much to be learned from its design and its presence.”

Tiland remained ever diplomatic. That much was clear to Leea. She accepted his words, though she remained doubtful of her self-knowledge. Was that not part of the reason she had come to this place? To begin a path to self-discovery and traverse the unknown lanes of her soul. The Jedi's words further assured her of this intent.

The Mirialan followed his gaze as she contemplated the particular word. "Harmony" Such a peaceful phrase. Perhaps I may find a ground of tranquillity here, one that may resonate within me. The dawn light, cast a gentle glow into the room, more friendly than the artificial lights of a starship and yet still providing more light than a torch. The sky beyond the quiet interior was a beautiful and welcome sight. Leea realized she could not recall the last time she had looked into the sky just for that purpose. She also noted that it lacked the contrails all to common on developed worlds. This was a planet of nature and the Force.

With an exuberance that surprised even herself, Leea stood suddenly and exclaimed, "Then let's begin! Teach me the ways of this world and the Force."

Now it is my turn to apologize for the wait. Been fighting to keep up with life, my sincerest apologies for not letting you know sooner.

Leea Pandac Leea Pandac

"Ah, excellent," Tiland said brightly, as he stood and hefted his walking stick. "Then come, let us walk out into the sunlight. The morning is quite an excellent one, I think."

He gathered up the assembled tea and breakfast items before stepping out the door. "I will wash these in the stream down below if you wish to visit it."

Tiland would wait for the reply and then pick his way down the winding trail to where the stream ran below the monastery. Clear water burbled over smooth stones and the willows draped their leaves in the water, where they trailed in the dappled, sunlit water. It was quiet, with only the sound of the water and the wind in the trees, accompanies by some small amphibians not far away, hidden in the rushes and reeds.

The old monk knelt by the water and dipped the tea utensils in, along with biodegradable soap as he began washing the dishes in a small stone-lined pool set against the bank.

"So tell me, what do you feel in the environment around you?"

As the monk spoke of the morning, Leea's eyes gravitated towards the window. The sky above appeared a beautiful and clear cerulean with the occasional pale cloud to break the great expanse. The earth was covered by the overgrown flora, and Leea was confident that the trees would provide shade aplenty. She followed Tiland's movements to collect the items, offering a hand to assist in their transport. A trip to a river sounded pleasant indeed.

Stepping outside, the Mirialan allowed her eyes to adjust to the fresh light. She took a deep breath, delighting in the scent of the wilderness of this particular world. It was not quite akin to Kashyyyk; the aroma of life was strong but not overwhelming. Although there was an undertone of death and the natural rotting leaves, it was but a minor note in the variety. She followed along the path, tempted to remove her boots and walk bare-footed on the dirt and worn stones. There was a serenity entirely novel to her, a lack of threat that seemed almost unnatural, and yet so very desirable. A question rose to mind as she listened for some call of a distant animal or bird, but there was no sound that immediately caught her attention other than the gentle crunch of her boots. "Are there any native animals on this world, or were they brought here from off-world? Does it have a full ecosystem with predators? Are there creatures we should be concerned about?" The thought of a creature like an Aklay or even a Shriekbat living on this world seemed foreign, and yet...

Upon arriving at the river, Leea allowed herself to be captured by the moment. She recalled an old saying, "A feast for the senses," indeed this was a moment she could not help but admire. The subtle whisper of the wind, leaves rattling quietly in its grip, the burbling of the water as it flowed towards its eventual destination, and the distinct call of the local amphibians. The water gently dazzled her eyes with the reflection of the sunlight, almost like it was part of some greater game. She ambled to the water's edge and knelt to allow the cool river to pass through her fingers.

Tiland asked a question and the Mirialan remained silent for a moment. There are a lot of things in the environment. But does he mean the physical senses? Or perhaps the Force ones? She tried again to allow her mind to relax and open herself to the Force and this world. At first, it seemed like she could not release her focus, that her mind would refuse to enter into that more aware state. Yet, slowly she began to feel it, that background sound of the Force. The environment seemed almost to fill her senses with their presence, indeed the humble monk at the river seemed a focal point of the ripples and rhythms that coursed outward.

Leea closed herself again to that strange sense, feeling a numbness in her physical body. She vocalized thoughtfully, "I sense... life? I don't know how to describe it. Everything was so... alive I guess. Movement and harmony flowing from one into the next. Is that what this planet is always like?" She dipped her hand back into the river and allowed its reality to hold her steady.

Last edited:
Leea Pandac Leea Pandac

"There is native wildlife, yes," Tiland answered, with a nod as he traced his way down and scrubbed at the dishes. "Primarily small avians, lizards, and mammals, as well as numerous insectoid types." He considered for a moment as he squeezed water from one of the cleaning rags. "Sentients once lived here, but they are long gone by now." He shrugged. "It was a process and disappearance we do not know anything about yet."

He paused for several more moments to consider as he scrubbed the rest of them. He could sense the questions and the emotions that surged and floated through, and he let them grow and flourish before continuing. She answered and Tiland just nodded slowly.

"The planet is always like this, yes. It's one cultivated and nurtured to be in balance and adaptable." Tiland said slowly. "It's a microcosm of the galaxy as a whole, as it should be." Another pause as he dried one of the dishes. "And it's more intensely noticeable here than in many places, which makes it ideal for learning."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom