Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A Family of Strangers

Violet had expected finding her mother to be difficult, and perhaps some part of her had expected not to find her at all. That expectation did little to soften the irritation when her attempt to reach Jairdain went unanswered. For once, Violet had reached across the distance between them, even if the decision had begun with the practical desire to learn more about healing, and she had been met with another absence. She didn't know why. There could be perfectly reasonable explanations, and Violet knew better than to invent answers simply because old resentment made the least charitable ones easier to believe. Whatever the reason, Jairdain remained beyond her reach.

Jayna did not.

That had been the unexpected part. Somewhere in the process of trying to contact a woman Violet had never known, she had discovered a fifteen-year-old sister she had never met. Their first conversation had been strange enough that agreeing to meet in person almost seemed easier than continuing through messages, and Naboo offered convenient neutral ground. Now Violet sat beneath the shade of one of the planet's flowering trees, waiting for the girl to arrive and discovering that the approaching meeting affected her considerably more than she'd anticipated.

Her sister. Violet kept returning to those two words. Half-sister was technically correct, but the qualification seemed increasingly unimportant. Jayna was fifteen years old, which meant an entire childhood had happened without Violet knowing she existed. There were birthdays she hadn't known to remember, interests she'd never heard about, scraped knees, favorite foods, friends, fears, and thousands of ordinary moments that made someone into who they were. None of that was Violet's fault, and certainly none of it was Jayna's, yet an unexpected ache rose at realizing how much of the girl's life had already passed before either of them had the chance to know the other.

Whatever resentment Violet carried toward Jairdain stopped firmly at that boundary. Jayna had no responsibility for choices made before she was born, and Violet would not make the girl answer for her mother's absence. If anything, the opposite feeling had begun to take shape during the wait. Violet found herself wondering whether Jayna was nervous, whether she had been told much about Violet, and what exactly one was supposed to say when meeting a younger sister for the first time. She wanted the girl to feel comfortable with her, and realizing she cared whether Jayna liked her left Violet feeling far more vulnerable than wandering alone through unfamiliar worlds ever had.

Her fingers found the familiar outline of Solan's crystal beneath her shirt, resting there for a moment before Violet caught herself and lowered her hand. Her father had always been the certainty in her life. This was something else entirely, a connection to a part of herself that had always existed at a distance and had suddenly become a real person who had agreed to meet her. Violet glanced toward the path again, anticipation tightening pleasantly and uncomfortably together in her chest.

"This was supposed to be about finding a healer." The quiet observation brought a small, nervous smile to her lips. Somehow, finding a sister seemed considerably more important.

Jayna Ismet-Thio Jayna Ismet-Thio
 


49-FE6082-955-A-4828-82-F4-C898744577-D6.png

Objective: Meet Half-sister
Location: Naboo
Outfit: Naboo Casual Outfit
Tags: Violet Charr Violet Charr

Jayna had practiced this. That was probably the first sign something was wrong. She didn't usually practice conversations. Jayna talked. Sometimes considerably more than necessary. Words generally arrived without requiring much assistance from her, and confidence had never been something she struggled to manufacture. Except apparently when meeting a sister she'd never known.

Hi, I'm Jayna. Too obvious. So... you're my sister. Somehow worse. Mom never told me your name. Absolutely not. By the time Jayna spotted the flowering tree Violet had described, she had gone through at least six possible greetings and hated every single one of them.

She slowed. There she was. Violet. Her sister. Her actual sister. Jayna immediately looked down at herself. Why? She had checked what she was wearing before leaving. Twice. Her clothes hadn't somehow changed during the walk. Her hair probably hadn't spontaneously become terrible either, though she reached up to smooth it anyway. Then she realized what she was doing and quickly lowered her hand. This was ridiculous.

She was a Jedi Padawan. She had been in battles. She had faced people trying to kill her. She carried two lightsabers. She could walk over and say hello to one woman sitting beneath a tree. Except that woman was her sister.

Jayna took a breath. "Okay." She could do this. Three steps later she nearly turned around. Not actually. Probably. Jayna had always known there were others. Two sisters and a brother, all of them adults before she had even been born. They weren't secrets exactly. They were simply people who existed somewhere outside the little piece of family that had been Jayna's.

She had wondered about them. Of course she had. When she was younger, she'd imagined all sorts of things. Maybe one of them would suddenly appear someday and immediately decide Jayna was the greatest little sister in the galaxy. Maybe they would teach her things Mom and Dad couldn't. Maybe they would send birthday presents. That last one had been especially important when she was eight.

Eventually Jayna had gotten old enough to understand that they had their own lives. Whatever relationship they had—or didn't have—with Jairdain belonged to them. Jayna hadn't wanted to shove herself into the middle of it simply because they shared a mother. So she hadn't pressed.

Then Violet had found her. All because Jayna was the one still carrying the Ismet name. Jayna's steps slowed again as she got closer. She wondered suddenly whether Violet was disappointed by what she'd found. Fifteen. A Jedi. Probably too loud. Definitely capable of being annoying.

Jayna shoved that thought away before it could settle. She wasn't going to run away because someone might not like her. That wasn't who she was. Besides, Violet had agreed to meet. So Jayna made herself keep walking.

"Violet?" The name came out slightly higher than intended. Fantastic. When Violet looked toward her, Jayna immediately smiled. It was instinctive, though there was considerably more nervousness in it than most people ever saw from her. "Hi." Pause. "I'm Jayna." Another pause. Her eyes closed. "You know that."

She could feel her cheeks warming. "Obviously you know that. We literally arranged to meet each other." Jayna laughed, though it came out halfway between amusement and mortification. She tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear and looked off toward the lake for half a second. This was going great.

When she looked back, however, she was still smiling. "Sorry. I thought about what I was going to say before I got here, and apparently that made me forget how conversations work." That sounded more like her. A little. Jayna stepped closer but stopped short of immediately sitting beside Violet. Suddenly that seemed like something she ought to ask permission to do. Which was weird. Did sisters ask? Maybe sisters who had known each other for approximately thirty seconds did. "Can I...?"

She gestured toward the space beside Violet. Once invited, Jayna sat, though she perched toward the edge at first rather than immediately making herself comfortable. Her hands settled in her lap. Then folded. Then unfolded. She finally caught herself fidgeting and pressed them against her knees. "So." There were approximately nine million things she could ask. None of them seemed appropriate as the first one. Jayna glanced sideways at Violet. "I knew about you. Sort of."

She immediately grimaced. "Not you you. I didn't know your name or anything. Mom told me she had other kids. Two daughters and a son. I knew you were all grown up before I was born." She hesitated. "And I used to wonder about you." There. That was harder to admit than she'd expected.

Jayna looked down at her hands. "I thought about asking Mom to find my siblings sometimes. Especially when I was little. But..." Her shoulders lifted in a small shrug. "You already had lives. And families, maybe. Or jobs. Or whatever adults do when they're not telling me what I'm doing wrong." The joke helped. A little. "I didn't know if you'd even want some random kid showing up and going, 'Surprise, I'm your sister now.'"

Jayna gave Violet a sheepish smile. "So I didn't push." For once, she allowed the silence afterward to exist. Then her expression softened. "But then you found me." That mattered. More than Jayna knew how to explain without making this considerably more emotional than she was prepared for five minutes into meeting Violet.

"So..." Jayna drew in a breath and finally turned enough to properly face her. "I don't know how this is supposed to work." There was no practiced Jedi wisdom behind the admission. No confidence borrowed from her parents. No attempt to sound older than she was. She was fifteen. And she'd just met her big sister.

"Like, am I supposed to hug you? Is that weird? Because I kind of feel like I should, but we also just met, and I don't know if you're a hug person." Her cheeks flushed again. "And now asking probably made it weird."

Jayna covered her face with both hands for one second. "Oh my gosh." She dropped them again, laughing at herself. "Can we start over?" Except she didn't get up. She didn't actually want to start over. This awkward, embarrassing disaster was theirs now. And somehow that made Jayna smile.

"Hi, Violet. I'm Jayna. I'm your little sister." Her smile grew a little brighter. "And I'm really glad you found me."
 
Violet saw the girl approaching before she heard her name, and the moment she realized this had to be Jayna, every carefully ordered thought she'd entertained while waiting scattered. Fifteen suddenly seemed younger when an actual person was attached to the number. Violet started to rise automatically, manners ingrained too deeply to remain seated while someone approached her, only for Jayna's hesitant gesture to make it clear she could stay where she was. She settled back onto the bench, watching the girl with a warmth that grew despite the nervousness still wound through her chest.

"Jayna." Violet tried the name once, almost absently, then again with a small smile. "Jayna." It was strange how quickly a name could change something. A few days ago, her younger sister had been an abstraction Violet hadn't even known existed. Now she had a name, a face, and apparently the same unfortunate tendency to become nervous when confronted with a sibling for the first time. "I'm Violet." Her smile widened. "Which you also know, so at least we're embarrassing ourselves equally."

Jayna's increasingly flustered explanation made it impossible not to relax. By the time the girl wondered aloud whether they were supposed to hug, Violet had to suppress a laugh, not at her but at how closely the uncertainty mirrored everything she'd been thinking before Jayna arrived. She'd wondered what she was supposed to say, whether Jayna would like her, whether sharing a mother gave them any right to immediately call one another sisters when they had never shared anything else.

Then Jayna said she was glad Violet had found her, and something inside Violet softened completely.

"I'm glad I found you too." There was no hesitation in that answer. Violet looked at Jayna for another moment before a trace of amusement returned. "Although you can certainly tell we're related."

She lifted a section of her own dark hair between her fingers, then gestured lightly between them. Violet was tall enough to stand above many grown men, while Jayna's considerably smaller frame made the difference between them almost comical. "Dark hair and..." Her eyes traveled between their respective builds before she gave Jayna a deliberately solemn nod. "Well, dark hair."

The humor helped, but it didn't erase what Jayna had told her. Violet hadn't known that her younger siblings were aware of the older ones at all, much less that Jayna had spent part of her childhood wondering about them. There was something painful about imagining a little girl wondering whether siblings she'd never met might someday appear, especially when Violet hadn't even known a little girl was wondering.

"I didn't know about you." Violet's voice softened. There was no resentment in the words, only an honesty she thought Jayna deserved. "I knew there was an entire part of my family out there that I didn't really know anything about, but I didn't know names or ages. I certainly didn't know I had a fifteen-year-old little sister on Naboo wondering whether she should come looking for me."

She paused, studying Jayna with open curiosity now rather than the apprehension she'd carried before the girl arrived. Whatever Violet felt about their mother didn't belong here. This was Jayna, and Violet wanted the chance to know her without allowing someone else's choices to stand between them.

"So you don't have to worry about whether I wanted some random kid showing up and announcing she's my sister." Her smile returned, gentler this time. "I'm very glad to meet my little sister."

Violet let that settle for a moment before her curiosity inevitably asserted itself. She could ask a thousand questions, but Jayna had already endured enough awkwardness in their first few minutes.

"Why don't we start with you?" She shifted slightly toward Jayna, giving her her full attention. "What can you tell me about Jayna that I wouldn't learn from knowing who our mother is?"

Jayna Ismet-Thio Jayna Ismet-Thio
 


49-FE6082-955-A-4828-82-F4-C898744577-D6.png

Objective: Meet Half-sister
Location: Naboo
Outfit: Naboo Casual Outfit
Tags: Violet Charr Violet Charr

Jayna had been so busy worrying about making a terrible first impression that it hadn't really occurred to her that Violet might be having just as much trouble figuring out what to say. Hearing her older sister repeat her name and then introduce herself in return brought an unexpected giggle from the teenager. Apparently, being a grown-up didn't automatically make someone good at this sort of thing. That was actually rather comforting. She could feel some of the nervous tension slipping out of her shoulders, especially when Violet started making jokes about their resemblance.

"Hey!" Jayna protested with a laugh when Violet pointed out that dark hair might be the only obvious similarity between them. Her eyes traveled over the much taller woman before she looked down at herself. "Well, I mean... okay, fair. But I'm still growing!" She straightened her back a little, as though that might somehow help prove her point. "Dad's pretty tall, so I've still got a chance." Whether that was actually true remained to be seen. Jayna certainly wasn't going to admit defeat at fifteen.

The humor made it easier to listen when Violet explained that she hadn't known Jayna existed. There was something strange about that, although Jayna supposed it made sense. She had always been the youngest, the one who came along after everyone else had already grown up. Her older siblings had existed for her entire life, but the reverse wasn't necessarily true. She wondered briefly why her mother hadn't told Violet about her, but the thought didn't linger. Whatever the reason, Violet was here now, and that was what mattered to Jayna.

When Violet said she was glad to meet her little sister, Jayna's smile became considerably less nervous. She liked hearing that. Little sister. It was something she'd never really been before, at least not in any way that mattered to her everyday life. She had imagined what having an older sister might be like when she was younger, but hearing Violet actually call her that made the whole thing feel a little more real.

Then came the question. Jayna blinked. "Oh. Um..." That was a surprisingly difficult question. What was there to tell about herself that didn't somehow involve her parents? She'd spent so much of her life traveling with one or both of them that separating her own story from theirs wasn't particularly easy.

"Well, I travel a lot," she began, then wrinkled her nose. "Like, a lot a lot. I don't think I've ever really stayed in one place long enough to call it home. Not the way most people do, anyway." She tucked a loose strand of dark hair behind her ear, thinking about it. "I've been to all sorts of planets. Some really pretty ones, some that are kind of boring, and a few that I definitely wouldn't recommend visiting unless you really like being shot at." Her grin suggested she was only partly joking. "I guess I'm used to moving around. Sometimes it's fun because there's always somewhere new to explore. Sometimes it's annoying because just when you start getting to know people, it's time to leave again."

Jayna shrugged, though there was a little more feeling behind the gesture than she intended. "I've made friends, obviously. It's just harder to keep them when everyone's scattered halfway across the galaxy." There was one particular friend who had become rather important lately, but Jayna wasn't quite ready to start telling her newly discovered sister about that. She had only just stopped embarrassing herself over the introductions.

"Mostly, though, I've spent a lot of time training." She glanced at Violet, wondering how much the older woman knew about their mother's connection to the Force. "Jedi stuff. Lightsabers, the Force, meditation..." She made a face at the last one. "Lots of meditation. Which I'm getting better at, by the way. I'm just not sure sitting around doing nothing is ever going to be my favorite thing."

Her expression brightened almost immediately. "I like lightsaber training, though. A lot. Dad started teaching me when I was little, and Mom taught me more about using the Force. I actually have two lightsabers now. I made them myself!" There was unmistakable pride in that announcement. Jayna almost reached for her belt before remembering that she hadn't come dressed for training. The weapons were safely tucked away rather than hanging from her Naboo-inspired outfit.

"One blue, one purple. I wanted to fight with two like Ahsoka Tano in the holos. She's kind of my hero." Jayna stopped herself before launching into an enthusiastic explanation of why Ahsoka was so amazing. She suspected Violet might not want a twenty-minute discussion about lightsaber techniques during their first meeting.

"Anyway, the funny thing is, I didn't even know if I wanted to be a Jedi until pretty recently." She leaned back a little, considering how to explain something she was still figuring out herself. "I mean, I've been learning Jedi things practically my whole life, so you'd think I'd have decided ages ago, right? But learning something because your parents teach you isn't really the same as deciding that's what you want to do with your life. Plus the Jedi Orders all seemed so political"

Jayna looked toward the flowering trees for a moment. "I used to think maybe I'd just travel around and have adventures. Help people when I could. Do whatever seemed interesting. I guess I didn't really understand why I needed to put a name on it." She gave a small, almost embarrassed smile. "But then I started meeting more different Jedi, and going on missions, and actually seeing what being one means. Not just swinging a lightsaber around and doing cool things with the Force." She paused. "Although those are definitely still cool." There was the familiar spark of humor again.

"I've got a teacher now, too. Iandre Athlea. She's a Jedi Knight, and she's been helping me figure out some things. Not just fighting, either. She actually thinks I should spend more time doing normal teenager stuff." Jayna rolled her eyes, though her smile betrayed how much she appreciated the advice. "Which is funny, because most adults are always telling me to be more responsible, and she's practically telling me to go make mistakes." She let out a little laugh. "I think she's right, though. About some of it, anyway."

For a moment, Jayna considered what she'd just said. There was a difference between being raised around Jedi and choosing to become one. She was only beginning to understand that difference, and she wasn't entirely certain where the decision would eventually lead her. But for the first time, she could imagine herself following that path because she wanted to, rather than because it was simply what she'd always known. "So, yeah. I guess that's me. I travel around, train a lot, get into trouble sometimes..." Her eyes widened slightly. "Not, like, bad trouble. Usually."

She paused. "Okay, sometimes." Jayna laughed again, feeling considerably more comfortable than she had when she'd first approached the bench. "And I guess I'm trying to figure out what kind of Jedi I want to be. Or what kind of person I want to be. Probably both."

She turned toward Violet, curiosity beginning to replace the last of her nervousness. "But what about you? I mean, you obviously know Mom, or at least know of her, but I don't really know anything about you yet." Jayna tilted her head. "Did you grow up traveling too? Or did you actually get to stay somewhere and have a normal childhood?" She hesitated, then grinned. "And are you really tall because of your dad? Because if you got that from Mom, I think I got cheated."
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom