Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A controversial view of the Force…

potentium_by_corvusraaf-d9d5yul.jpg

Corvus had the content of the precious notebook she’d recovered from Tatooine uploaded onto a datapad and when she returned from her morning run and headed off for her hot oat cereal breakfast – the hour still some way short of dawn – she read a page once more with interest.

Obi-Wan was referencing a conversation with his Padawan at the time, Anakin, and although the terms were familiar, she was keen to get a second opinion.

‘Qui-Gon and Mace Windu had once dealt with group of apprentices who had shown promise, but had not been accepted as Jedi Knights. In disappointment and anger, one of them had tried to start his own version of the Jedi, enlisting "students" from aristocratic families on Coruscant and Alderaan. Qui-Gon had mentioned the Potentium, a controversial view of the Force.

The theory of the Potentium had long since been judged by the Council to be in error, and abandoned. It was no longer even mentioned to Padawans.’

And there was only one person she trusted to have enough knowledge on the subject to have an opinion, so she waited until daylight before venturing to the offices of Master [member="Phylis Alince"].

She braced herself as she knocked on the door. Phylis loved lore as much as Corvus. It was only their method of classification and storage where they differed. Corvus’ office was so tidy, you would be forgiven for thinking it was unused. Her experience of Phylis was…well different.

So she wiped the palms of her hands on the hem of her robes as she waited to be called in to Phylis’ office-come-workshop. At least it was the last time she’d visited.

[member="Corvus Raaf"]
Phylis was hard at work. Well, sort of.

The Jedi Master was trying to evict her newest lodger from her desk. Among the mounds of paperwork, junk and genuine historical artefacts a small green lizard had taken up residence. Currently Phylis was trying to bait the creature out with a beetle, but to no avail.

“Hmmph, why do they make it seem so easy on the Nature Channel?” she groused to herself.

The knock at the door made her look up, and the lizard took advantage of her distraction to dart out and grab the beetle before scuttling back.

“Oh…poot!” she said with a sigh and wandered over to the door. She could tell who it was before she opened the door. Guiltily she tried to straighten her robes and looked around at the room before going to the door and opening.

“Ah, Grandmaster! Hmm, you look…well?” she hazarded cautiously.

Ever since she’d met Braith, she had a renewed sense of the relationship between Master Alince and her admirer. Corvus did not know who it was – but knew there was definitely a someone. The lacy underwear was a clue. Or was that racy? Or both?

As she waited, she could hear Phylis in her office. There was a reference to the Nature Channel and what sounded like a hmmph. She had no idea what was going on in there and hoped she hadn’t interrupted anything…important.

As Phylis opened the door and simultaneously straightened her robes and sounded flustered, Corvus fought a natural urge to see who else was in the room. But she was unable to stop the blushing.

“Am I…um…interrupting?”

[member="Phylis Alince"]

[member="Corvus Raaf"]
Phylis too was blushing. For a moment she just stared at the Grandmaster, then stood aside.
“No, no, nothing at all!” she said, closing the door. “I’m trying to catch a lizard,” she explained. An interesting explanation for sure, even if it was one which probably had never been given by a Jedi Master.
She waved vaguely at her desk. “He’s in there somewhere. Or she. I’m not sure how you tell with lizards. I think it’s something to do with the flange on the head.”

She coughed. “Hmmph, well, yes, you obviously came here for something more important. What can I do for you, Grandmaster?”

Please not another move of the temple….

Corvus was learning a lot of life other than being a Jedi. Like euphemisms. Catching a lizard wasn’t one she heard and for a moment was unsure if it was a hint at what had happened or…the Jedi Master was indeed looking to locate a reptile.

The reference to a flange was probably another clue, but Corvus decided to by-pass it and stick to what she came for.

She gave the room the once over and wondered what would happen if she sneaked in one night and…arranged things. She could pretend she was looking for the lizard?

No. Probably not.

“I…um…came for advice. Potentium. What do you know about the philosophy and what are your views?” She looked for a chair to sit on but decided not to adjust Phylis’ careful indexing, so stood instead.

[member="Phylis Alince"]

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

Phylis felt instantly more relaxed and intrigued. Philosophy and esoteric debates? That was something she could (and sometimes did) discuss for hours.

“Hmmph, the Potentium, hmm?” she asked. As she tended to when speaking, she wandered around the room, waving her hands for good effect as she spoke. It put one in mind of a hyperactive stork.
“It is basically the view that there is no Dark Side and no Light Side inherently, that it is one’s actions that make one Dark. It is a heresy which the Old Republic evicted, and which briefly the New Jedi Order embraced before returning to the old ways. It is a curious mix of philosophical revisionism and a healthy dose of rebellion too.”

“My views? Well, it is of course correct in one sense – one’s actions do shape their destiny – however I feel it errs on several levels. For a start, let us consider that the foremost proponents of it ended, ironically, falling to the Dark Side. An amusing twist which shows that when you abandon your moral standing for expediency nothing good will come of it.”

“The main argument for the Potentium is what I will loosely call ‘common sense’. If there is a Dark Side then surely that means that certain actions and intentions are objectively ‘bad’, yes? Hmm, when so much good and evil is described as mere matters of perspective; terrorist vs freedom fighter, surely we cannot objectively class something as ‘Dark’?”
“This view is misguided for several reasons. Firstly, it takes moral relativism too far and applies it not just to sentient actions, but to an omnipresent energy field. Such trifles are not something which the Force is able to discuss and debate like this were a discussion circle. No, there are objectively Dark and objectively Light actions when it applies to the Force. The creation, protection and nurturing of life is an action of the Light; the destruction, corruption and harming of it is an action of the Dark. Lastly on this case, I draw your attention to Sith Alchemy and my Alkahest. Were things merely subjective, then these would not be able to retain their power. A user might be able to infuse an item with the Force, but were the Potentium correct these items would not maintain an independent alignment afterwards.”

“The second, less reliable argument, is that the Light and Dark is a conspiracy of the Jedi. That the Jedi interpreted the Force in this manner so that we would have a monopoly on controlling what is right, to the exclusion of all else. Hmmph, an absurd notion which barely needs refuting. Nevertheless, I am always tempted to ask – does anyone complain to the Sith for controlling a monopoly on evil? I dare say it would very much amuse a Sith Lord to be told as such!”

“Now, this is not to say that all those who are Dark are ‘evil’ or those who use the Light are ‘good’ from a moral standpoint. Here moral relativism does have a place. One can use the Dark Side without being evil, but to use the Dark Side they must perform actions or call on power which is destructive. To me, that the Dark and Light exist is not in question. All that is in question is how one chooses their path.”

She finally stopped. She’d circled the room four times and was now back before Corvus.
“Hmm, was there a reason you were asking, or was it merely curiosity? I do, hmm, tend to get fixated on such topics.”

Corvus was glad. Glad that she’d chosen to speak to Phylis of all the Jedi she could have picked. And glad that Phylis had so much to much to say on the subject. As the Caretaker of First Knowledge, she was the obvious choice. But still…

So she listened and digested. She considered where their thoughts overlapped and where there was sufficient difference to debate.

But above all, she listened.

And then the questions came flooding out...

“Do you believe that a focus on good and evil, as opposed to following a Code that ignores how the Force is used as long as a tick-box exercise is followed is truly abandoning a moral position? Isn’t it, if used in conjunction with the Code, simply adding one?”

“For I agree such an undertaking for expediency is at best foolhardy and not something to be let loose on Younglings but in a mature debate? With considered application?”

“Grand Master Skywalker killed a million on the Death Star. He acted for good – and broadly in accordance with the Code. But he took a million lives after all. Under Palpatine, I suspect crime rates fell drastically. But it was right to oppose him, surely?”

“Surely it is as important how we arrive at an outcome as the outcome itself. The end cannot always justify the means.”

“My thoughts were along the same lines – but given the slightly odd circumstances we now face where some that use the Light-side commit acts of evil – and others that use the Dark-side are commonly good, it feels wrong to attribute someone as acceptable or not just by their use of the Force. It is how they use it…what they use it for that is as important – if not more so. Yes?”

“I feel this is integral to the Order. To how we approach allies for example. I do not suggest for one moment we allow those that use the Dark-side into the Order. Any more than those that break the Code. But I feel a more pragmatic approach to who we consider friend or foe is called for. But with a basis in common sense as you put it.”

[member="Phylis Alince"]

[member="Corvus Raaf"]
“Hmmph, I will remind you that one of my closest friends is [member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]. She is, by all definitions, a Dark Side practitioner, but I do not view her as evil. It would be nice if she was redeemed, but in these times of trouble we must, as you say, seek allies wherever they might be found.”
Even if they keep sending me embarrassing underwear. Was it common for the Dark Side to inspire lust in its users? It made sense that those who embraced the emotions of anger, fear and hate would also take to lust. Perhaps that was why so many of the Sith seemed so…sexualised. Though considering how many of her fellow Jedi had strayed it was perhaps not the most outstanding metaphor.

“In reference to your other comparatives, I hardly think they are relevant. Though some applaud the Emperor for making the skytrains run on time and cutting crime, it was replaced in large measure by state sponsored terrorism. The criminals were still there, as shown by his patronage of Prince Xizor, but petty theft is somewhat obscured by racial enslavement and genocide, yes? If the Old Republic’s besetting sin was corruption and disunity, the Empire’s was an unrealistic push for conformity at any cost.”
“Regarding the Death Star, I feel the name is a generous indicator there, don’t you? It was a war, and though regrettable that so many died they had just exterminated Alderaan, and were about to obliterate the Rebel Alliance.”

“As I have said, the Potentium is flawed in its conception that the Force cares about your actions. There is a Light and a Dark Side. Our choices obviously push us one way or the other, but the Force is there and if one chooses to use it, it is not their actions which determine if there is a Dark Side. The Dark and Light are eternal, but your choice to use them is not.”

Corvus laughed softly. It was a friendly chuckle, without any malice.

“It is precisely your friendship with this woman that I mean to capture. You are aware of her intentions…” Corvus blushed. “I mean you know what she wants to do…No, no, I mean you know she's good…no that still didn’t come out right. I mean she may use the Dark-side but that does not make her evil.”

“But that friendship or even an allied status should not sound like a desperate measure – but rather a logical and well-informed decision. On this occasion, it is her willingness to do the right thing that is the over-riding factor, surely? Not personal feelings – but a recognition of what is important.”

Corvus made a mental note to ask if the package she’d seen arrive gave a hint as to the place it was purchased from. Her attempt to trawl the Holonet for such garements thus far had failed to get past the Order’s strict firewall.

“And my comparators were straw men. Designed to be pulled apart. That was my point. A desire for the greater good is key here, isn’t it? And that is why we are Jedi and we do not allow emotions to cloud our judgement in such matters.”

“And I agree that the Potentium in totality is not acceptable. Too many flaws...agreed. But at its core – let’s not use the term Potentium but rather the one tenet. It is what you choose to do that matters most. The end may not justify the means but the end is key here – and the rationale for achieving that end. Am I making sense?”

[member="Phylis Alince"]

[member="Corvus Raaf"]
Phylis felt herself colouring at the first words. She was aware of Siobhan’s intentions, she knew what she wanted and had been assured that she was good. Fortunately though it wasn’t actually about this that Corvus was discussing. Things would have been very awkward otherwise.

When Corvus finished Phylis frowned.
“Hmmph, I don’t think we were ever in disagreement, Corvus. One who uses the Dark Side is not necessarily evil as I said. The Potentium asserts there is no Dark or Light, and that one’s actions create the Force in that way. I do not agree, but even orthodox Jedi philosophy never asserted that this means those who use the Dark are absolutely evil. It is how it is used that is important, but not because the Force changes because of that.”

She looked at Corvus, head tilted to one side slightly. “So what has prompted this discussion, hmm?”

Corvus smiled. “So we’re in agreement then.” And then she blushed again.

“My prompting is two-fold. Firstly we have debated in the Council long and hard about Dark-siders as allies but not come to a conclusion. I wanted a serious chat that came to a result. And I believe we have.”

“The second is personal – I won’t pretend otherwise. I have a friend who is neither Light-sided nor Darks-sided. She actually pre-dates such things,” she held up a hand as if expecting questions. “A very, very long story. She was held in stasis for millennia. She acts for the greater good but draws on the Force in totality as opposed to necessarily a distinction between Light and Dark. At least not in her mind – and that is only a basic understanding of the situation I grant you.”

“I needed to know that my friendship was not in contravention of the Order’s beliefs. I am a Jedi after all. And in a position where my actions are scrutinised more than the average Jedi. Nobody batted an eye when I announced I had a sister and we spend time together. I ay I have good friends and spend time with them? Nobody shows any interest. I say I have a partner and suddenly what I am doing is in contravention of the Code.”

“I see no difference between the attachment of a sibling or child or close friend as opposed to a partner. You can either separate your decisions as a Jedi or you can’t. Or am I wrong? Please tell me. And if my actions change, you must inform me.”

[member="Phylis Alince"]

[member="Corvus Raaf"]
2f5.jpg

And so they reached it. The cause of this discussion. This was no whim of academic interest, no flight of fancy.
The Grandmaster had a partner. If Phylis was honest with herself, and she did try to be, she had expected it. It seemed as though celibacy was the exception rather than the rule, a quaint option taken only by those unable or unwilling to shack up with the first person to proposition them.

Phylis took a deep, calming breath. She tried, she really did, but she could not wholly suppress what came next.

“Hmmph.”

She turned away, a little hurt that the Grand Master, someone she had thought well of, had done this. Perhaps she was over-reacting.

“I am sure that since you are the Grandmaster the Code can be whatever you need it to be,” she said with unusual bitterness.

“I hope this discussion has given you some enlightenment. It has certainly been revealing to me now I know the crux. I do not feel it is my place to tell you what is right or wrong, Grandmaster. Is there anything more?” she asked a little frostily.

Suddenly the Jedi Master seemed a lot less bumbling and more focussed as she turned away from Corvus.

In embracing her emotions for the first time, Corvus was allowing her natural empathy free reign. Well…not entirely free. She filtered the flow – as otherwise she’d be overwhelmed in a built up area like this. It would be like having to listen to hundreds of radio stations at full blast…simultaneously.

So the volume was turned way down. Even so, she picked up Phylis’ mood instantly.

The problem with emotions is there is no filter for good or bad. Right now she was experiencing the latter. She felt sick at the pit of her stomach. She was no expert yet at deciphering the various feelings – they tended to overlap and she had twenty years of catching up to do.

Her instinct was to be defensive. Her inner brain was demanding it. But she caught herself and bit her lip.

“The Code is the Code. I do not interpret it for my own benefit,” she said as calmly as she could – but she could hear the quaver in her own voice.

“We are all equal – a Jedi who considers herself more important than any other simply demonstrates their opinion is not worthy of listening to. Or words to that effect…” Her voice fell away as she finished the sentence.

A tear formed in her eye.

“I’m so sorry to have disappointed you,” she said, fighting back her sadness – a hand wiping away the solitary tear. “I know my true intentions. I know there is truth between my heart and the Force. I shall let it be my judge, since you have clearly already decided my guilt.”

[member="Phylis Alince"]

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

Phylis felt bad. She was one of those people who could not just be highhanded and dismissive. She’d said what she had said in a moment, and now she regretted being so harsh.

Going over, she put a hand on Corvus’ shoulder.
“I’m sorry, Corvus. I feel hurt because you asked me here for what is to me a false pretence. I am glad you have found someone you can be happy with. I hope that it brings you happiness and allows you to maintain your focus.”

She turned away, sighed. “This conversation though has revealed to me though something I have suspected for a long time; I don’t fit with the Jedi Order of today. For all my years growing up and then as a Padawan, Knight and Master, I believed that the past was a guide to the future. I feel like I am the only one who follows the old strictures anymore. Hmm, before today I had thought you did as well. So I feel that it is time for me to reassess and re-evaluate my beliefs and my role here. I would like to formally resign from the Jedi Council. I am also seeking some time away. The Republic and the Order is in dire straits, but I feel I cannot contribute in a worthwhile manner at this time. I dare say I have never made much of an impact in such a situation anyway.”

Phylis slumped in her chair. “I feel I have failed you, Corvus, failed the Order. I’m sorry. I think it is time for me to go into seclusion for a while. I have many things I wish to do still, but I fear I will not be able to properly serve until I understand myself.”

Corvus was so pleased that Phyllis didn’t let her leave. The overwhelming feeling of relief was palpable.

“Believe me, my interest was primarily about the Order and allies. If you had said that it was entirely unacceptable, I would have taken your counsel. I did not come here for me or my needs. I am a Jedi. And for as long as I describe myself that way, I shall abide by the Code.”

“And for the first time…well…ever, I am Corvus. Not just a Jedi, or just a person. But Corvus. A whole. Able to be both — and I expect it will make me a better Jedi. Less conflicted. But time will tell.”

But no sooner had she felt better than she felt a whole lot worse. “Leaving?” It was something Corvus had wondered about before. But it didn’t make the news any more palatable.

“You must do what your heart and the Force tells you is right.” She was not about to make the Jedi guilty. “Your efforts and contribution should never be underestimated. You have failed precisely no-one. I suspect, like my predecessor, the Council will be something I need to disband — at least for the time being.”

“And we will be here for you — I will be here for you. When and if the time is right, we will meet again. No pressure or strings attached. You know where Ossus is, and therefore where I am.”

And she hugged Phyllis…this was indeed a new Corvus.

[member="Phylis Alince"]

[member="Corvus Raaf"]
They hugged, a purely platonic connection, and then Phylis stepped back.
“I’m not going to stop being a Jedi. I’m just going to be more…mobile. I will send reports back with what I find, whatever it may be. I’m going to take my ship and my gear. I hope to be back again when I feel I have a better understanding of the Will of the Force.”

Suddenly, she spied something, and darted forward swiftly. “Got you!” she cried.
In her hands was a small green lizard. It thrashed unhappily until she called on the Force to soothe it. After which it merely looked a little peeved.
“And I’m taking this little fellow too…” she added to Corvus.

Corvus listened. Some of the Jedi she most respected had travelled the galaxy. She knew it didn’t make them any less a Jedi.

And she pondered that everyone commented on her age — when in fact she was one of the longest serving Jedi of the Order. Of the Masters and Knights she knew of when she arrived, most had left the service of the Republic.

To Corvus this was often a burden. A feeling she was obliged to remain almost regardless of what happened with the Republic or the Order. But then, that was what she signed up for. But sometimes she looked at the likes of Phylis, or even her own sister who regularly toured the galaxy and had to admit to an occasional feeling of jealousy. Not that she resented their freedom, nor begrudged them doing what their heart told them what to do.

No, she always wished them well.

“He’ll be good company,” Corvus said, smiling. “Have fun and if and when you want to return, there will always be a place for you here. Always.”

“So, do you have specific plans or will you just see where the Force takes you?”

[member="Phylis Alince"]

[member="Corvus Raaf"]
“I have no specific plans, no. I have many areas that I wish to visit, many sites I wish to study. I also plan to create a holocron with my knowledge of Alkahest and other things I have learned. I am looking out for the legacy of the Jedi Order. I am and always will be a Jedi.”

The lizard decided that her sleeve looked tasty and chewed on it before looking disgusted.
“That’s not for eating,” Phylis told the lizard sternly.

Corvus smiled. It was almost pained. "Four words. Ones that should make us full of hope, yet oddly are a cause if so much strife."

"I am a Jedi."

"Once it meant something, or rather one thing. The same thong. And yes...I accept there have always been variations and differing points of view - but the majority, the vast majority, were of the same view."

"Now it seems the phrase is the start of a conversation about discord and differences as opposed to similarities. That must end. We owe it to the galaxy to be unified. If only in our philosophy and desire for the greater good. Surely that was why we were set up in the first place? Not to fracture, but to remain united?"

"Surely that would be a lasting legacy?" And then she smiled. "And I'd better let you go before this little one eats you out of house and home."

"It goes without saying...which means I'm going to say it. You know where I am. I'll always be there if you need me, OK?"

[member="Phylis Alince"]

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

Corvus Raaf said:
"Four words. Ones that should make us full of hope, yet oddly are a cause if so much strife."
Phylis looked puzzled. She was pretty sure she and Corvus were at opposite sides of a mental road. ‘That’s not for eating’ didn’t sound like something which would make hope or strife.

Luckily she explained she was talking about ‘I am a Jedi’ before Phylis said something unwise!

“I am not really one to…hmm…try and debate that sort of thing with people. I’m better dealing with things which don’t talk back. With your permission, I’ll be taking the Wellspring as my base of operations. It’s a ship which has served me well!”

She hugged Corvus again. “May the Force be with you, Master Raaf…always.”

She looked around the room. There’d be a lot to do in order to be ready to leave!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom