Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Common Ergonomic Assessment

Klesta

The King of Ergonomic Assessments
After all the various areas where he sold ergonomic assessments in CSA space, such as Antar, Pesmenben IV, Dressel and even Chokan, perhaps it would be worth considering selling ergonomic assessments to the CSA government proper. Here goes nothing: the CSA is the major faction with the best access to ergonomic assessments in the galaxy, but only the Fel Empire has a better access. The Silvers are a close second to the CSA, he thought, while realizing that, for all the ergonomic assessments sold in CSA space since his company started selling ergonomic assessments in CSA space, maybe the CSA will be the one faction providing what he perceived to be the holy grail. But first he must write that holomail message to the one person he believes is the contact point for getting the government to buy ergonomic assessments from him. In fact, with most vendors of ergonomic assessments instead selling those on a smaller scale, he was firmly convinced his firm was in position to perform the largest ergonomic assessment jobs that would otherwise subcontracting by smaller firms.

--------------------------------------

ATTN: [member="Lady Kay"]

Your Majesty, after thousands of satisfied users of the Sith Inquisitor's ergonomic assessments in CSA space alone, perhaps the CSA government would realize the benefits of ergonomic assessments as applied to government facilities and those who work in those facilities. Please let me know what works for Your Majesty.

Klesta
VP, Ergonomic Assessments
Sith Inquisitor

Attachment: Common questions about ergonomic assessments

--------------------------------------

Kay-Larr

Sphaera Tea Company Owner
Kay raised a brow slightly at the curious message. Of course she was aware of [member="Klesta"] and his work in her system. Many a times they were on the same world or in the same syatem together, but they had never really come across eachother before.

Ergonomic assessments was a curious thing. Some believed it, while some didn't. Kay was fine as long as she was comfortable, and she was quick to ensure the well being of all of her staff and even her people.

~Klesta,

Thank you for reaching out. I have heard no complaints so far about your work and only praise. If you'd like, you could check out our Senate Hall outside of Chasin City and see what improvements can be made.

Just let me know.

Lady Kay Arenais,
High Queen of Commenor Systems Alliance~

Klesta

Never did a faction even try to get its legislative offices assessed. His involvement in ergonomic assessments came after the GR Senate was dissolved, and even when he was in office for Hosnian Prime, he couldn't do much about the Republican bureaucracy being too slow to process the need for ergonomic assessments. The Jawa would then be flying from Denon to Commenor, and then taking a cab to the Senate Hall in Chasin City. If my experience with the Republic serves me, senators usually stay in office for at least one legislative session, and resignations are seldom accepted before the end of a legislative session, although caucuses may eject a senator before formal resignations are accepted. Then again, the CSA Senate might be different, he thought, while bringing in his favorite assessor or two. But while he may have heard about its functions, he had no idea whatsoever of the furniture used by the Senate while the Senate was in session, and he knew next to nothing about the CSA Senate other than they were elected and they served as the factional legislature. Besides, he needed [member="Lady Kay"] to actually access the Senate chamber proper, which was a necessity for the Jawa to actually get started on the assessments.

"Greetings, Your Majesty. I am Klesta, the ergonomic assessor that opened many different branches in CSA space. First, I would like to know how many seats there are, as well as a list of their incumbents: it's important to make sure the adjustments required, if any, would be appropriate to them. If, for any reason, you hold a seat ex officio, your seat goes first"

Kay-Larr

Kay greeted [member="Klesta"] with a polite bow of her head and smile. She had decided to meet the Jawa at the Senate Hall itself. Knowing that his request would come up, she had already had Olivia prepare such notes for him already. "I've got all of that for you here. But would you like to go inside and see it all yourself first hand?"

She handed him the datapad, fully prepared to handle the tour herself. There were three towers, as well as the main building at it's base. The main building housed the Conference Hall, Visitor's Center and the like. Inside the towers were all of the offices.

Regardless of whether or not Klesta had wanted to tour the Hall with her, there would be uniformed guards following them. With recent attacks to the Hall, security was tightened.

Klesta

"Certainly, this is what ergonomic assessments are about: assessing and adjusting the workspaces"

Just because [member="Lady Kay"] handed him the manifest of senators and their offices within the Senate building doesn't mean he can remotely perform the ergonomic assessments in question. Even with the reinforced security at the Senate, thanks to these attacks on the Senate building, he would still get the assessments done, albeit with a few more security hassles on the ergonomic assessors. Also, he does realize that, if word came out that the Senate got ergonomic assessments made, there would be either a call for or outrage about a Senator or two (except perhaps the one(s) responsible for workplace health and safety, or focused on it: he has seen both happen) or, if there was no public outcry about those ergonomic assessments, calls among the public service to get ergonomic assessments made, too. He thinks it would be more likely for the latter to happen than the former, given the attacks ont he Senate building. Guided by Senate guards, the Jawa may be wondering which station was the first and how many stations were to be assessed: maybe he could offer more than simply a standard bulk discount, if the Senate complex was a project big enough.

"I am more than willing to perform the first assessment myself. With that said, where should we begin the process of performing ergonomic assessments? Also, how many work stations are there in the Senate complex?"

Kay-Larr

"Thank you kindly, [member="Klesta"] . This way please." She led the little Jawak further into the building. Guards flanked them of course, with various security cameras following their movements.

"There are a lot. I haven't really counted, myself. But there's more than enough stations than we have people to fill them. There's always the potential for growth, so I wanted to be sure that they had a place to go to right away."

The first spot that she took Klesta to was the Senate Chamber. It house a long table with a lot of chairs around it, as well as various work stations for all of the aids and staff that would join in on the meetings.

Klesta

"Let's begin with the chamber-wide potential hazards"

It was then safe to assume, given [member="Lady Kay"]'s response, that bulk assessments were the billing regime applicable to this contract. The first order of business, when one performs ergonomic assessments in rooms with multiple stations, would be to assess the chemical and radiological levels, and then proceed to the microbiological hazards. And then one should proceed to assessing whether the furniture can actually be adjusted, and also whether the furniture is out of alignment. Aides and other staffers: much like how the Chazwa Senate chamber was filled with those even though they couldn't actually be on the speech order, he thought, while recording no chemical, radiological or microbiological hazard, thanks to the multidetector in use by ergonomic assessors everywhere in the galaxy. And then he pushed another button to measure the background noise, to make sure it remains within tolerance levels for what could potentially cause discomfort. At least soundproofing didn't seem to be an issue, especially since he knew that espionage could be using that avenue to spy if the soundproofing was inadequate.

"There doesn't seem to be any hazards affecting the whole chamber. Now may well be the time to assess whether the work stations are properly adapted to each person working in the chamber"

Kay-Larr

Kay watched as [member="Klesta"] worked, using various instruments to detect this that that and many other things that she wouldn't even think of. She let her favourite architects build the Senate Hall and all of the rooms contained within, including the tunnels down below.

She was pulled away from her thoughts just as Klesta started speaking to her again. Kay was relieved to hear that there were no hazards in the chamber. But now it came to individual work stations. She gestured to the whole chamber. "You can start anywhere you like. I know that some people have a method in the way that they di things."

Klesta

"Or rather, let's start with those people currently working in the chamber: the best time to get assessments made is when the Senate isn't in session. Unfortunately, the implication of personalized assessments for the people's morphologies and work methods is that, to get all the workstations assessed, we need to schedule appointments in blocks to get the whole work done"

Respecting people's work methods was key, to the extent they did not pose health and safety hazards; [member="Lady Kay"] would likely understand that much. One of the more difficult aspects of the job was informing the occupant of a particular workstation that their methods are not safe, and being face-to-face with said occupant will probably soften the blow somewhat. But just because there are no real chamber-wide hazards does not mean that there are no hazards at all, only that what hazards there actually are, would be confined to specific workstations. If there were furniture adjustment issues, he would realize it soon enough, and repair them in short order. However, when the Senate isn't in session, there was only a handful of staffers working in the Chamber besides security and maintenance. The Jawa realized that there was a group of such staffers, ostensibly working on one project, but approached them cautiously so as to not disturb them - he knew that tact was key to get ergonomic assessments made on each of their workstations in a situation of that nature.

"State your business" the staffer asked the Jawa.

"The Senate is implementing a pilot project of ergonomic assessments. You are the first whose stations in the Chamber are to be assessed"

Kay-Larr

"I'm sure that we could arrange the appointment blocks easily enough. We'll just have to fit it in with their schedules." Not everyone lived here afterall. They had their own home worlds to go to, their own business to conduct.

Kay watched as [member="Klesta"] approached a few staffers that were in the chamber. It was kind of funny to see him walk so slowly, yet perhaps he was used to others being jumpy when it comes to strangers. She followed in behind, keeping a respectful distance and clasping her hands in front of her. A nod was given to the staffers so that no suspicions were raised.

This was going to be interesting. Kay had never seen such an assessment being made before.

Klesta

It was understandable if [member="Lady Kay"] didn't see ergonomic assessments unfold. He first checked whether the furniture was out of alignment, and he realized how delicate the settings are on the kind of adjustability the headrests and backrests had, with the examinee of the moment sitting down on that seat. The Senate and its staffers had the very best in furniture, he thought, while making sure not to scratch, dent the furniture or to otherwise not do anything with it that isn't a normal adjustment. He also had to make sure that the posture is adequate, with the neck not inclining more than 20 degrees in any direction, and the wrists not making an angle larger than 20 degrees with the perpendicular to the work surface. Or at least these were the important parameters to observe when the work station is manned by a humanoid within the range of what could pass as normal for humanoids, or humans/Near-Humans even. As for items on the desks themselves, since they were there for the short term, he could readily assume that all of the items were used frequently for the span of time they were going to be in that corner of the Chamber.

"The big challenge here comes from the fact that several people may well be using any given piece of the Chamber's furniture and that there is no one-size-fits-all approach that fits each and every one of the occupants in the Chamber or the conference rooms, so the private offices of senators and their staffers may be a better bet for the more personalized assessment as applicable to workstations"

Kay-Larr

Kay continued to watch while [member="Klesta"] did his work. In some ways she was taking mental notes on what she could do in her own office. She was quite comfortable in her chair at her desk, so there was the chance that it was already perfectly set for her.

But you never know.

As if reading her thoughts, Klesta asked her about seeing the offices. "Ah yes, good point. This way." Kay led the little Jawa out of the chamber and down the hall to the nearest office wing that was held on that floor. Uniformed guards followed them, in part through curiosity and in part through duty. She unlocked the door with her hand on the touch pad and stepped aside. The office was empty, but that was only given the time of day. "Most of the offices are the same, except fir the private Senate offices where each person has designed them a little more for their personal tastes."

Klesta

"The only major difference between each of those offices that might matter for ergonomic assessments being their occupants. Just because they are doing the same work with the same adjustable furniture doesn't mean that the occupants are all the same morphologically. That is why I may be wondering who is currently at the office"

In a sense [member="Lady Kay"] was making his job of making easier. Now that he knew that all of the staffers had all the same layout, doing presumably very similar activities, and that the senators themselves had their customized furniture, he made a mental note to this effect. Morphology is the key thing that any ergonomic assessor would need to take into account, so that he'd rather assess an office with the occupant present, so he feels a little disappointed to go in the office wing of the Senate Building and be led to an office whose occupant is absent. Utinni! While it's true that I'm not in position to know the schedules of the occupants of the offices and to whom they are associated, there is only so much I can do for the assessment so long as the occupant isn't there, he thought, while he made one request of his host for actually getting the assessments done. She must have realized that assessments ought to be performed in blocks for projects of that size. That said, determining whose stations are assessed when is a monumental coordination issue.

"Perhaps you could bring me to an office with the occupant actually here: given the morphology of the assessee's station being crucial for the assessment, I don't think it's going to be any good to go assess an office without the occupant There is one last thing I ought to make clear: it's likely that the rest of the public service will start wanting their ergonomic assessments, too"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom