Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private 369 The Goose Drank Wine

b66qcMh.png

DYnZ0fN.png
Objective: Speak With Senator
Tags: Achan Jaikavi Achan Jaikavi

Katarine hated politicians just like she hated politics. She was hardly at ease as she waited in the lobby of the grand office. While others were sitting or reading, Kat was on edge, staring at the artwork on the walls, her deep green eyes traveling all over. Truthfully there were several reasons to be worried about this meeting today. The first was of course that she had to meet a senator, which was never her favorite thing to do. The other was that she was investigating a case that nobody really thought existed. She had already shared her thoughts with the Council but was told that there was a firm belief The New Way was gone. She could understand this view. The terrorist organization had been silent for a while now, but there was still a virus running rampant on Naboo and some people needed answers.

That wasn't Kat's only interest in the case of course. Two weeks ago a nurse from Theed General Hospital had contacted Kat. The two women had grown somewhat close during Kat's three years at Theed while she recovered from hibernation sickness and so they had kept in touch periodically after Kat's recovery. This call hadn't been a social one however. The nurse had a story about a patient at a different facility who walked in off the street, claiming they had been held and experimented on by The New Way. Of course the patient had been ruled mentally incompetent and drugs had been found in their system. Nobody took the claims seriously, especially since the patient was so delusional they were uttering random words and attacking orderlies. Everybody remained convinced this was just a crazy person who had wandered in after a binge and needed to come down. That explanation didn't sit well with Kat however. Her gut told her something else was up, but when she had gone to see the patient for herself the interview hadn't gone anywhere. Mostly the patient screamed, howled, ran at the wall, and muttered incoherent words. In fact the entire time Kat had visited the patient had only said one word that made any sense,

"Jaikavi."

And so that brought Katarine here, to see Senator Jaikavi. She had no idea what to say to the man, and knew her job would be on the line if she crossed the Council, but it was hard for a good investigator to let things go. So she waited in the waiting room, a little agitated and wary of what was to come.

Achan had been staring out the large expansive window in his senatorial office. It was mentally taxing to be running the life of a senator, and pulling double duty with heading up a clandestine organisation. But he had good systems in place. He also had pretty good cover. He did not do much work directly with the Unblessed, preferring to have trusted subordinates play his role as negotiator, and he would keep back in the shadows to pull strings. However, with the upcoming release of Project Abborince, Achan found himself having to play a more active role in proceedings. It meant that loose ends were harder to keep tied. Harder, but not impossible.

He took a deep breath, exhaling slowly. It was a meditation technique he had picked up from the Jedi. It helped a lot. The irony was not lost on him.

“Jedi Master Katarine Ryiah is here to see you.”

The droid’s voice caused Achan’s heart to skip a beat. He had been too lost in his thoughts.

”Yes. Yes indeed. Send her in,” he said in the general direction of the desk mounted comm-device.

Another Jedi Master. This was becoming…a pattern. Jaikavi steeled his mind, practicing his wilfulness techniques that all upper level Unblessed recruits learned. Whatever this Jedi wanted, she would find his mind and emotional state very difficult to read. And no amount of hand waving would see him do anything he did not think to do of his own free-will.

He pulled at his coat, a well tailored fashion statement that accentuated his stout and toned figure. Casually, he walked to the centre of the room, when the floor lowered by a couple of steps, where a circular arrangement of inbuilt couches and arm chairs sat around a central trouble and holo-display - which was currently turned off.

”Master Jedi…to what…do I owe the owner?” He said almost in a routine way, before pausing briefly.

My, they do not send the ugly ones my way, now do they.

Katarine Ryiah Katarine Ryiah

b66qcMh.png

DYnZ0fN.png
Objective: Suss Out Senator

When they let her know the senator was ready Katarine felt like groaning. Instead she stood and followed the droid who showed her the way. She thanked the droid assistant and entered the large room to find the senator standing in the middle of it. She had never seen him before but he was younger than she would have expected. Or maybe she thought of senators as cranky old men who started imperial wars. Either way she should probably go to therapy over it.

She smiled at the man, and let her deep green eyes take in his custom made political outfit. Senators always dressed formal and appealing. It made Kat feel underdressed but at least she was wearing the new clothes the New Jedi Had given her and not her own which were a century out of style.

“Senator Jaikavi, thank you so much for seeing me. I am sorry to request a meeting on such short notice. I know you are a busy man.”

She bowed her head slightly and felt her long dark hair slip in front of her face. She pushed it behind her ear and glanced around it office. It was a nice space but she expected as a senator from Coruscant he might get preferential treatment in the building. Or maybe he just knew the janitor and was able to score a nice space. She felt like groaning again. This was uncomfortable. She hated playing politics and all this properness, despite being raised as royalty she had never gotten used to it. She needed to get it together however.

“I will get to the point because I know you are busy Sir. I just have a few questions about a patient on Chandrila.”

Achan bowed courteously with the greeting. She looked uncomfortable and Achan was instantly curious as to the cause. He would do his best to figure that out, without being too obvious.

”No beating around the proverbial bush then!” Achan said with a burst of laughter and wave of his hand. It was far from dismissive, but cared a light and carefree tone, as if he was unphased by another Master showing up on his doorstep.

”Please sit,” he waved towards the circular selection of couches and armchairs int he middle of the room, while he wandered to the small bar in the far corner of the room.

“What do Jedi Masters drink these days?” He said without looking back towards Master Ryiah.

He paused for a moment as he poured a drink for himself. Nothing hard, just a little something to take the edge off. “I am afraid that my medical expertise is quite limited…perhaps I can put you in contact with my health advisory board…they are sure to be of some help…you will have my full resources at your disposal to help this patient of yours.”

b66qcMh.png

DYnZ0fN.png
Objective: Investigate Senator

"Water should be okay. Thank you Senator."

Katarine did feel like her throat was dry but when he spoke about the patient she found her nerves relaxing a little. Investigating was her wheelhouse and as long as she was focusing on the case she wouldn't have to focus on the politics. His offer to put her in touch with the health advisory board was odd. She had expected most people would ask what a patient had to do with them. Maybe he already knew? Or maybe he was so used to people coming to him for help he never questioned odd requests. She supposed he probably had to deal with a lot during his line of work. It was probably nothing new to get asked for weird things he had no idea how to do.

"That is very kind of you Senator Jaikavi but I was actually hopping you might be able to tell me who this patient is. You see... they seem to know you. Or at least your name is the only one they can currently remember."

She opened up her datapad and showed him the picture of the girl in question. She was a female human with sandy brown hair who looked starved and beat up. Someone had certainly done a number of the girl but now that Kat was standing in this office she got the feeling it wasn't the senator. He might be involved somehow but he didn't strike her as someone who liked to beat women. She had met plenty of aggressors in her days, both male and female, but the senator seemed more like an authoritarian rather than an enforcer type. Maybe this was a dead end. But then... why had the girl said his name?

"Do you recognize her? We are trying to figure out who she is so we can alert any family she might have."

Acknowledging the request for water, Achan held out an unopened bottle of spring water to show he was actually pouring water. He had nothing to hide. With the drink poured he returned to the Jedi Master and handed her drink oer. He sipped casually at his own. The bite was just right, hitting the back of the throat and causing him to breath in sharply, but only a little.

He sat, crossing his legs and allowing his posture to become more casual. He indicated again, that she should sit.

He glared at the datapad. The image made him frown, and he turned his head away from the view just briefly, before forcing himself to look again, though this time through a wince. It was a most unwelcome sight.

”My name…is not unknown…I have certainly seen my share of headlines of late…”

He did not sound dismissive, but also seemed distracted by the image. He was studying it. After some time, he shook his head slowly.

”…absolutely horrifying…but I cannot say that I know her.”

Leaning forward he placed his drink on the table between them. It seemed inappropriate to continue drinking given the nature of the conversation.

”May I ask what happened?”

b66qcMh.png

DYnZ0fN.png
Objective: Discuss Case

She accepted the water with a word of thanks. Katarine continued to stand for a moment while the senator studied the image. He didn’t seem to want to look at it, which if he were a serial killer he wouldn’t be able to resist. It did seem to make him uncomfortable and the reaction seemed genuine.

When he handed the data pad back Kat did take the seat he offered, and let her deep green eyes study him for a moment. She was certain now that this woman had not been hurt by his hand. Of course that didn’t mean he didn’t have a hand in this, it just meant he wasn’t directly who she was looking for.

“She wandered into the emergency room claiming she had escaped from a terrorist group. She managed to tell the doctors she had been held against her will and experimented on. Unfortunately that is as far as she got. Whoever held her had drugged her and the doctors think it may have caused a psychotic break. She could not remain lucid long enough for a full conversation after that. The only coherent words she said were ‘The New Way’ and your name Senator.”

Her tone wasn’t accusatory, but was simply stating the facts. Katarine did not think it was a coincidence that this woman had mentioned the senator, but it didn’t mean he was guilty. She tried not to leap to conclusions in her line of work, especially when she was investigating something the Council had told her not to.

“Forgive me Senator but I do not remember what your official position on the organization The New Way is. Maybe there was a reason this woman thought of you in connection with the group. Have you been vocal about them in the past?”

Again she wasn’t accusing him of anything. Her deep green eyes were curious rather than cautious. His genuine reaction to the photo had changed her thoughts about him slightly.

“Absolutely horrifying. Ghastly to be sure. I cannot say to why she would say my name in conjunction with her events. Perhaps…I could run her data line through senate records…perhaps she worked on my staff…perhaps in the media? Does she have a name?”

He paused briefly, clearly in deep thought.

”You will have the full cooperation of this office with your investigation.”

He paused again, thoughtful, as any good politician should be. He did not speak without having thought through his words carefully. Freewheeling was the fastest way of overcommitting and underdelivering, or incrimination.

”My stance on The New Way is one of condemnation and empathy…”

No lies there.

“…wanton acts of terrorism are to be condemned at every opportunity. But comments such as ‘I am against terrorism’ so underwhelming and just expected of politicians. What I have done…is look into the complaints of the common people on the picket line…there is a very real sentiment on the streets…one of frusration and anger. If the Galactic Alliance does not act to rectify these injustices…perceived or otherwise…I fear a groundswell uprising that would threaten our democracy.”

b66qcMh.png

DYnZ0fN.png
Objective: Discuss The New Way

Katarine nodded as he mentioned he could check his records to see if maybe she had worked in his office. There were so many campaigners and other positions that it made sense that he would have never met all of his staff.

“They collected her DNA and are running it through databases. If we get a hit we can identify her. Once that happens I can follow up with you. See if perhaps she did work for you. Right now she is sadly a Jane Doe.”

He began to talk about his position and Kat could understand where he was coming from. She didn’t know a lot about the anti Force movement but she did understand that people were frustrated and scared of Force users. She had encountered a lot of that even a century before.

“I think many people do not understand organizations like The New Jedi Order. Uncertainty breeds fear and fear leads to anger.”

She didn’t need to drop more Jedi philosophy on him, but she hopped he saw that she at least understood his position.

“After the attacks The New Way went silent. Tell me Senator, do you think the organization is truly gone?”

He nodded in acceptance and understanding of the process that the Jedi had underway.

“How can people understand? From what I know, feeling the Force is like having another mind with its own language that only those similarly minded can understand…like having another sense. It is hard for me to fathom. But I would very much like to learn more…”

He stopped short of what sounded like was ramping up to bean invitation to another meeting. He rubbed his chin for a while, thinking over her question. How to answer that indeed. Again, honesty was the best policy.

”No. It has not. But I suspect that it will have changed. These things never truly go away. So long as they live in the mind of one individual…it will resurface. Your ancient enemy the Sith has taught us all that well enough.”

b66qcMh.png

DYnZ0fN.png
Objective: Discuss Case

“It… can be difficult to wrap your mind around, just like someone who’s always felt it might not understand what it’s like not to have that sense. Maybe the two sides just need to communicate more openly. I would be happy to try and explain the life of a Jedi to help ease fears people have.”

She did understand the fear others had. When Kat had first been unfrozen she had woken in the hospital on Theed. For three years she had to struggle to learn to walk and overcome intense hybernation sickness, but that struggle had been nothing compared to the mental one she found herself dealing with. After a century the galaxy was still at war. One moment she was fighting the Empire and the next she was nine hundred years in the future and the fighting was still happening. She had felt defeated, and did not see the point to anything. The more things changed the more they stayed the same. She had even found herself wondering if she should bother finding the Jedi. What good would it do if the wars kept coming? It had been a lot to wrap her head around so she could empathize with others who felt they were just pawns in these galactic wide battles.

His thoughts that The New Way weren’t gone did mirror her own. She nodded at his assessment.

"I think you are right. We can only hope that the new organization does not support act of terrorism."

Realizing she had not drank the water he had offered she took a few sips. Politics were so unsettling. She didn’t want to do anything to offend him. This meeting hadn’t gotten her very far but at least now she had some idea of who he was. Perhaps her next move would be to interview New Way supporters or she did know Sal-Soren might have information, that is if she could visit him in custody.

“I am sorry to have brought this ugliness to your doorstep Senator. I do appreciate you taking the time to see me. “

Achan waved his hand dismissively. “It is not problem Master Jedi. None at all. I serve the people of the alliance…the people of Coruscant…meeting with a defender of our freedoms is the least that I can do.”

He noted that she sipped the water. She was so uncomfortable. Curious. Despite her status, and likely power, she was nervous around what…politicians? The thought made him smile softly. That was how it should be.

Feeling the meeting was coming to a natural conclusion, Achan stood and extended a hand. “I will have my office pull some more names…some people we have identified as associates of The New Way in our own Investigations. Would you be willing to meet again…to share…details?” His smile seemed genuine, warm even.

b66qcMh.png

DYnZ0fN.png
Objective: Conclude Meeting

“That would be very helpful. You can send them to my attention at the Temple.”

She stood and smiled at him, before setting her half finished glass down on the small ornate table.

“Yes of course. It would be an honor to meet with you again. Thank you Senator Jaikavi.”

She smiled again and made her leave. She was not sure how to feel about the meeting with the senator. On the one hand she did feel an immediate sense of relief the moment she was out of his office. Having to carefully measure your words and actions was exhausting. On the other hand he didn’t seem as sleazy as politicians she had encountered during The Clone Wars. He had been what you would expect of a politician, polite, handsome, well dressed and helpful, but there hadn’t been any arrogance.

She got outside the building and entered the busy street beyond, her thoughts still on the Senator. He was handsome, and that probably opened a lot of doors for him. In her preoccupation she almost ran into a fruit stand and apologized as the merchant started yelling at her.

He wasn’t that cute girl. Get it together. Of course they do let the Jedi date now so..

She smirked at her own thoughts and shook her head. Pulling out her data pad she sent over a request to visit Sal-Soren in his cell. Maybe the young man would have something to say about this business. The Senator hadn’t gotten her anywhere but that didn’t mean she was ready to drop this. At the very least they needed to identify Jane Doe.

A short speeder taxi ride latter found her at the Temple where Sal-Soren was being held in a cell. She went through the necessary security procedures and was eventually allowed to enter. She had requested they be moved to a small interrogation room so they could be more comfortable without bars between them.

She was sitting at the hard metal table when he was brought in. She stood and smiled, but didn’t go forward to shake his hand. The guards had already warned her not to touch the prisoners.

“Knight Sal-Soren thank you so much for agreeing to see me. “

Last edited:
Brandyn entered. He was no longer cuffed in the transition from cell to rooms. His behaviour had demonstrated a degree of trust could be placed in his comportment. He smiled softly as he sat down before the Jedi investigator. Undoubtedly, this was New Way related. That is one of the few reasons anyone visited him here.

”Master Ryiah…”

He refrained from any handshakes or physical salutations.

”…I would be happy to help even if I wasn’t bored to death in my cell each day.”

He laughed Half-heartedly.

b66qcMh.png

DYnZ0fN.png
Objective: Get Intel
Tags: Brandyn Sal-Soren Brandyn Sal-Soren

“Please have a seat.”

She took the seat opposite him and offered him water, coffee, tea, whatever he preferred. Once the allowed pleasantries were over she sat back in her chair and scrutinized him for a moment.

“I know this is a sensitive topic for you but we have an unidentified patient who claims she was held and tortured by The New Way. She seems to think Senator Jaikavi is involved somehow. Or at least he’s on her mind.”

She waited to let that sink in. She was interested to see if the knight knew anything about the Senator.

Brandyn sat as requested, and glanced about the room as he did. It was always good to be mindful of one’s surroundings. “As you wish, master.” He offered a smile with pursed lips.

“Ah…that,” Brandyn leaned back in his chair and laughed sarcastically, “seems to be the only thing I am good for these days…did no one read my reports?”

Did he include everything in his reports?

“Jaikavi is a man around whom swirls many the rumour,” he said, hand making a swirling motion, “I would not be surprised if he was involved, after what…happened with my father…I would believe anything, but I do not have concrete proof either way. Perhaps…though…I can point you in the right direction…there was a lab on Chandrila…it was abandoned…and a team from the Corps were dispatched to catalogue everything. There was some medical science there…may be a clue…some lead that would take you to their next step on your journey.”

b66qcMh.png

DYnZ0fN.png
Objective: Talk About Case
Tags: Brandyn Sal-Soren Brandyn Sal-Soren

Katarine smiled sympathetically at his humor. She knew he must be bored and frustrated being so cut off from the order. She felt for him and the situation but she didn’t know all the details.

His discussion of a lab was intriguing and did give her an idea for the next leg of her investigation. She could look at the evidence locker to see what was recovered and perhaps visit the lab herself.

“That is helpful. Thank you. I do appreciate you taking the time to help me. I wish I could return the favor. Is there anything you need?”

She didn’t know all the details of his case of course but if he needed a lawyer or her to get a message out or even extra food she might be able to help.

“Anything?” He said with a quirked brow.

What followed was a very long and detailed explanation of a specific type of a lemon flavoured custard filled sponge cake type-thing. He spared no detail, nor facial expression to show his potential delight.

”Has to be the one from the street vendor on Ta’akos Market Square in the Commercial District…goes by the name of Peri…tell him B-Dawg sent you…he will ask for an explanation of the cake…be really specific…and he will get you what you want.”

He pointed with the ‘you’ indicating that it was not for something for himself that he sent him, maybe a contact? Maybe it was just a waste of time. Why would he not feel comfortable speaking openly about a contact if it was one?

The walls have ears?

Or he was really picky about his cake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom