Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You're The Only Family I Have.

Coruscant
Supreme Chancellor's Office.

"Oh why thank you Master Jedi Wraith, your repair is much appreciated." Whatever bits of personality it's programming would allow were shining through in a facsimile of gratitude. Fixing the screws in the droids shoulder joint had been an easy repair, one he had learned while out in the field years back. Then he had needed to fix the war droid that was aiding him, and that machine had given it's "life" to protect the then Jedi Knight. While not a true life form per say, Darron couldn't do anything but help if he had the chance. "You're most certainly welcome," he said as he gathered his belongings that were laid on the desk in the waiting area.

Encumbered with a bag that he threw over his robed shoulder, and a dish with a cake that was for the woman he intended to see. A smile crossed his sharp features, and he brushed his hair back with his free hand before heading towards the door. "Care if I go in and surprise her? Her holo meeting is over, I can feel her frustration from here. She wouldn't be that perturbed if she was actually talking to someone." The droid only nodded in agreement, and Wraith had all the permission he needed. The doors parted for him, and he briskly walked in, pretending to not notice what he had felt only a few seconds ago as the doors snapped shut behind him. "Chancellor, I come on urgent news." Keeping the smile off his face was difficult as he approached her desk. "Matters have come to my attention, and I'm afraid I have limited time." He kept up the serious air as he set the matte black tray and the bag on the table. "It seems we have some business to attend to."

Quickly undoing the bag, he pulled out a familiar green thermos, and two cups. Without a word he poured the tea that had become their ritual while setting a cup for her on her side of the desk while pouring his own. A quick tug of his will pulled a chair closer for him to sit. He then pulled out two plates, and some silverware that was packaged. Opening the dish, he revealed a rather odd looking cake. He spunt it's tiered surface to Aleidis with a smile on his face. "It seems that it's someones birthday soon, and I won't be around because of a mission. So I rushed here to see you dear friend, and to come see how you are doing."

@[member="Aleidis Ijet"]

Aleidis Zrgaat

Young soul from an older generation.
@[member="Darron Wraith"]

Trade agreements. Had there ever been a more perfect double-edged sword than a damned trade agreement? Sure, it sounded simple. 'Let's do business'. Then it was just tarriffs and taxes and border disputes and everyone thought that THEIR problem was the SINGLE problem important enough to go DIRECTLY to the top of the chain. And of course, everything DID go up the chain to her. So she could delegate it back DOWN the chain to the people who's jobs it was to handle it to begin with.

Compared to the other things she had to juggle on a daily basis, it was a minor annoyance. A constant annoyance, but not one that would end/ruin lives like a war could.

As soon as the holo-call was over, Aleidis sank down in her seat and sighed in exasperation, rubbing her temples. She was beginning to be fairly certain that she'd somehow skipped adulthood and gone directly from being a kid to being middle-aged and far too old for this shit.

When Darron Wraith let himself into her office, Aleidis managed to put her smile on and stood up. Worn down as she was, she WAS glad to see the man - it wasn't often these days that she just got to feel good about one of her actions without worrying about the long-term repercussions, but coaxing Darron Wraith out of seclusion and back into the world had been the right thing to do. He was too good a man, had given too much of himself to be left to rot in the middle of nowhere, stewing in his misery. "Hullo, Master Wraith." Alei greeted politely, warmly.

When he produced her thermos, Aleidis chuckled and sat down. When he added a cake to the mix, she flushed with surprise and covered her mouth. Birthdays tended to be a bigger deal to humans than they were to Ghostlings - who didn't even have so much as a native calender or clock, given that Datar was in perpetual twilight and had a painfully slow orbit - but she'd lived among Human culture and had gotten acclimated to human-centric traditions. Birthdays were one she enjoyed.

It combined a couple of her favorite things, after all. Doing nice things for somebody, and surprises. A surprise cake was the best kind of cake, like a prank you pulled on somebody just to tell them that you're glad they're alive for another year.

Alei sniffed the air once, twice, her black eyes and pale skin lighting up as she picked a scent from the air. "...is that chocolate? Oh, Master Wraith, you really shouldn't have!" The teenager gushed with delight. "Thank you ever so much!"

@[member="Aleidis Ijet"]

"You don't have to call me that title, I'm not here on the books." The fitted black robes he wore were nothing like his usual attire, but the twin lightsabers at his waist alluded to his true nature. The grey accents in the cloth and the solid strips of it that lined his collar and seams showed he was a Jedi, and the pin that all Council members wore was on the lapel of his cloak. His shoulders dipped as he took the long cloak off and walked over to a table and laid it down, making sure to fold it neatly before walking back over. Smiling wasn't the natural reaction for him, emotions were something he kept tempered. It was a lesson that related to all areas of his life, and even in moments of true happiness the scars of wars and conflicts past reared their ugly head. Only a ghost of a smile would appear, but it was the best he could do. The fact that one even crossed his face, and almost made it to each of his cheeks was a testament to the fact that he did care.

It was impossible to get him to not do his duty, and difficult to not be out helping. While duty was always there, something he could never take off. There were no tasks for him to accomplish for the Council, the day was his . With some luck, it'd the Supreme Chancellor's day as well. "So, how is the leader of the largest galactic democracy doing these days? How does it feel to be the woman to broker a truce with the Sith...a truce you deemed me worthy enough to come with you on?" Even a ghost of a smile didn't stand a chance against the fact that he was dissapointed personally that his beliefs were so compromised. Pride for a friend and displeasure over a situation didn't mix, so he left that conversation alone. Instead, he went to work on placing two candles on the cake. One in the shape of the number one, and the other in the shape of the number seven.

Taking his tea, he moved his bag to the side and then sat down. "Basically, tell me how your life has been. Also, just so you know. I'm completely free today should you wish to do anything. I would have come on your birthday, but I'm afraid I'll be gone doing things." What things, he didn't want to say. She'd see the briefs when he went out ferreting for more of the cult of Velok. The darksiders wanting to recreate what had happened just a few weeks earlier, and he didn't know how long he would be gone.

With snap of his fingers the candles lit, and he smiled. "So pretend for a day it's your birthday, and lets make it a great day?"

Aleidis Zrgaat

That old smile was decades older than the man himself appeared to be - it reminded Aleidis of a tired old dog wagging it's tail in thanks for a bit of kindness and warmth. Heartbreaking and heartwarning at the same time. "I know you don't agree with the treaty, sir." Aleidis admitted quietly, lacing her fingers together carefully. "Most people don't. But it WAS the right thing to do - for a lot of political reasons that'd take hours and hours to explain." She admitted, shoulders slumping. "Boring hours. I promise that I'm not trusting the Sith, and even I'm not optimistic or naive enough to think I can fix thousands of years of fighting and hatred with a piece of paper and a pinky swear." The Ghostling mumbled. "...but it's a step in the right direction. It ended a bloody war before it could start, and if the warmongers among the Sith are too busy trying to find a way to subvert Emperor Ardik to remember they hate us, then that's just fine by me."

"...and if they break the treaty and attack us, then we're fully justified in bringing every gun and ally we have to bear on them. A battle that we cannot possibly lose, a war that nobody can accuse the Republic or the Jedi of starting." Aleidis concluded, looking... grim. Grim, and very, very tired. A battle one couldn't lose was still a battle where soldiers died. Lives were taken, lives were ruined. Nightmarish. But this was her job, know - this was what Benjamin Watts had asked of her. To shoulder this burden and do the right thing, no matter how it stole away her sleep and replaced it with nightmares, frayed her nerves until she wanted to scream, and had all only cost her all of her ambitions and dreams to become responsible for the financial security and long-term safety of thousands upon thousands of sentients - the one they blamed for bad times, and made fun of in times of plenty. To alienate her friends, to cause those who tried to remain close to her to compromise their beliefs and values of some sort of sense of duty.

Aleidis swallowed a lump in her throat, and changed the subject.

"I'm fine, anyway." She lied smoothly. She'd been getting pretty damn good at that. The teenager smoothed some files on her desk and set them aside, pulling her tea in front of herself. "... just buried under red tape. The life of the Chancellor is a non-stop thrill of bearocruacy." With a quiet chuckle, Aleidis took a small sip of the herbal tea.

It was too hot to drink yet, and burned her tongue the slightest bit. But that was okay, too - that was just another aspect to the flavor. The cloying green of Naboo herbs, the red flash of pain, and the dull grey ache that settled in once she'd swallowed. The burn was her reward for being impatient - that's what Aleidis' mother had told her as a child. "So, I've heard there's been some big changes among the Council - but nobody tells me anything these days." Aleidis said with a tiny smile. "Word on the vine is that you're the new battlemaster. I'd love to hear about that."

@[member="Aleidis Ijet"]

"Aleidis, I understood why you made that treaty. It's why I went with you to Chalacta, and stood there behind you. I believe in democracy as the one true vehicle to a society that one day will make all this conflict worth it, I really believe it. Do I agree with the political scheming behind it, or the fact that you in truth bought time and a reason to strike back justifiably in case the Sith renege on the deal? Or the fact that we both know they will eventually? If not Ardik, then some other fool who assumes power eventually?" The hot tea nearly burned his lips as he took a heavy sip, more to stop him in his tracks than to enjoy the flavors. It was a preventative measure, a reflex to stop himself from pressing too far. What burdens she bore now were unknown to him, and he wouldn't be a fool and dare say he knew.

"My personal beliefs don't matter, I serve my duty. You know this, so whatever direction you lead the Republic on, I will be there guarding it along the way. If there is one thing I wish you could do, is bring the masses forward. We are the shining beacon that we one day hope they become, that they can all accept life and love all of it. I may be an idealist, but I'd rather strive for good in this galaxy than constantly accept the state it's in." Another gulp, and he was pretty sure his taste-buds were destroyed by that last bit of tea. "I fought at Roche for those ideals, and it pained me in the aftermath. Just know, there is one voice in the Order who doesn't personally agree with how you were thrust into this. Yet I will defend you and what you are trying to do from anyone okay? No matter how heavy your burden, I will always be there."

Wraith let her last question hang in the air before deciding to answer. "As to this Battle-Master business, it's almost as if they keep trying to give me titles to make me feel important. I know Je'gan thinks it's awkward to have my old position. I feel like my time as GrandMaster showed me I can bear the mantle, that I can do it. I'm just not settled enough to do that, I fight on the front lines. The defense of life begins there, and I refuse to be wrapped in protective bubbles and hidden on Tython so the Jedi don't lose their figurehead. I've had multiple visions of my death, I don't know when...but I know it won't be a peaceful one. So no need to sit and mope as I did on Dantooine, or sit in protection in the temple. My time is limited, I don't know how long I have, but I will do the most with it. I promise you that."

His words were a little melancholy, but he seemed to take it in stride. Then he shot back a question of his own. "So, want to humor me on how you really are? Or should I pretend that all my years of serving the Order, and being a teenager myself mean nothing and accept your words at face value?"

Aleidis Zrgaat

A relieved sigh. Not at his depressing talk of limited time, of course, but in that he'd promised his support. And support was something Aleidis dearly needed, even if she wasn't exactly good at going out to get it. Boolon had left the order to persue his own visions of peace, and she'd not heard much of him since. Je'Gan was busy, as he tended to be. And her relationship with Codi had been... rough, as of late. To say the very least.

"Well, for what it's worth, I hope that the death you've forseen is a considerable distance off." Aleidis admitted quietly, compassionately. "I enjoy your company too much, you know?" The young ruler explained as she stood up and smoothed her blue-and-white veda cloth robes, stretching her legs out. After sitting all day, a bit of standing was refreshing. Even if Coruscant was so damned heavy.

"And, I'm fine. If Master Olra'en or Spencer Jacobs sent you to check up on me, you can promise them that I'm fine, too." Aleidis complained, rolling her eyes. "It seems like every time I turn around, somebody's waiting for me to fall apart or explode and it's like, 'hello!?' Do they even know me?" The teenager snarked, folding her arms - for a moment, actually allowing herself to act her age.

@[member="Aleidis Ijet"]

"I honestly don't know Aleidis, it could come at anytime. It's the nature of the Force, and one I embrace." He listened to her intently as he sat his own tea down, and watched her get up to stretch her legs. Words mattered little in times like these, he instead listened to her voice inflection. Fatigue was eating at her,and her nerves were frayed. Being a politician seemed to have harden her, make her a little more cynical. It was times like these that he felt sorry for her, and the burden she was forced to bear. That had been his secondary reason for fighting so hard for her to not be the Chancellor. Regardless of her Mastery of the Force, or her position in the Empire. Wraith's real issue had been with grown men suggesting to a sixteen year old(even if she was an adult by her species) to assume a grown-up's job. She deserved much more than this, and it made him pity the loss of her getting to take her time to grow up. She couldn't take her time, she had to be the woman to lead the Republic, or be the one who watched it crumble.

A slight pop could be heard from his knees as he stood, and adjusted his robes. Not a sound was made as he set the tea down, and walked around her desk to look at the vast windows before him. All of Coruscant was before him, and he enjoyed the sensation he felt in the Force. This wasn't a jungle world, but it didn't need to be. All the life constantly in motion was enough to bring a smile to his face. Though it was only an illusion, the world made him think of hope. Hope for a better tomorrow, and that the works of all sentient life could be done with held hands and unity could be accomplished. This life of no persecution, no war, acceptance, and peace was a lie. Wraith knew it, this world was one of the worst in the galaxy and he accepted that. Change had to start somewhere, and one day it would. That little bit of hope was enough, and he crossed his arms behind his back in a parade rest. Eyes never looking at Aleidis as he simply enjoyed the view.

"You know, I don't need prodding to do things." Laughter laced his words as he snuck glance over and down towards her. "I really wasn't even here to check up on you, you knew what you were getting into. Or, at least that's what everyone tried to hammer into my head. I can't fight your battles, and that's how we grow and change. I just came to wish you a happy birthday and spend a day with my friend, well one of the only two people I have that are friends." The silence was comfortable, no pressure whatsoever. Any tension that had long plagued him was gone, and he was the empty cup he was always meant to be. Warmth radiated off his aura, and he simply let his happiness flood the room while staring out the window.

"Might I offer a short tale of caution for what I"m seeing?" It was rhetorical, he was going to lecture regardless. "I once knew a person who was handed a great many things before they were ready, and placed under trials they weren't meant for. The path they chose, and what fate had intended were completely different. He struggled, he persevered. That boy became a man, and made many hard choices and did many things he shouldn't have. If he had simply shared the burden he bore, he wouldn't have made half his mistakes, granted it worked out in the end." He then met eyes with the Chancellor.

"Just don't make my mistakes, talk to those who want to help. Don't shut yourself off from the world."

Aleidis Zrgaat

If he'd insisted on pressing the subject, on calling her a liar or calling her out on her assurances that everything was okay, Aleidis would have gone on the defensive - Spencer Jacobs had learned that. If he'd simply allowed her to hide behind her shields and left her in peace, she would have only felt the crushing loneliness of her position even more sharply once he was gone - Je'gan and Codi were still figuring that one out. But Darron was content to simply share her presence, share his warmth, and simply be a steady support regardless of how strong Aleidis thought she had to be to keep his respect. Boolon Murr had filled that niche, but he was now absent from her life in any meaningful way.

Aleidis watched Darron Wraith stand by the window, her expression sharp and attentive; waiting for reproach or a rebuke that wasn't coming. She'd had enough people come into this office to try and tell her she couldn't moderate her own emotions, enough people trying to tear down her carefully-maintained self control to force her to confront weaknesses she was already well aware of, that the first man to do neither was naturally suspect. That she naturally anticipated confrontation from her closest friends and confidantes was a bitter pill to swallow.

Wrapping her arms around herself, Aleidis walked quietly over and stood beside Darron - looking out over Coruscant. She rubbed her forearms and was quiet for awhile, unable to think of anything meaningful to say or contribute. While Darron found the silence comfortable, to her? It was deafening. Overpowering. Almost painful. Once the Force had been her greatest ally - nowadays, it felt as though her life and livlihood were build entirely upon words. Conversations formed the foundation, debates held the walls up, and promises endeavored to keep out the rain. The absence of words was almost painful.

The teenager hung her head and stared down at her feet - bare toes poking out from under her expensive veda robes, her shoes left behind under the desk, as per the usual. Her nails were painted electric blue. Codi thought it was a silly tradition - painting your nails - but it was one of the few choices Aleidis felt she could make that was still her choice. The same decision she would have made if she were still a Jedi, the same choice she'd made as a Knight and Padawan. A silly little vanity thing, but to a teenager who's ever movement was scrutinized for weakness and indecision? The silly little things quickly became a very big deal.

A tear landed on her big toe, and then beside it, soaking into a carpet that'd cost more than most people earned in a year. "...I just want to go home." Aleidis finally admitted in a whisper, staring down at her feet resentfully. "I hate this. I hate Grandmaster Watts for asking me to do this. I hate myself for pulling Codi into it. I don't... I don't know what to do. I just feel so alone all the time. I'm constantly afraid that I'm going to ruin everything, that I'll be a laughingstock, or that I'll mess something up and millions will die because of it. I can't sleep, I can't eat..."

@[member="Aleidis Ijet"]

Reaching her hadn't been something he had expected, nor were the affect his words would have. Having her cry had been on the very bottom of the list of things that he wanted to accomplish for the day, and for a moment he was frozen. Shots weren't being fired, explosions weren't going on around him. Lightsabers weren't millimeters away from his face, and the sounds of battle were far away. Yet, here he was actually worried for a moment. Here was a friend, hurting, and needing help. Had she been on the ground, bleeding, he would have known what do. Out of his element, he did the only thing he knew to do when situations got out of hand. He simply let go and just reacted and hoped for the best.

She was hurting, and needed him.

"Hey, chin up Aleidis. Come here." It was instinctual, he simply wrapped his arms around her. Little pressure was applied, and he made a conscious effort to just let the warmth and happiness from him and let it roll on to her. Her little body was shaking with each sob, and he just sat there. "It's okay, I promise everything is okay. The galaxy is fine, the Senate isn't line up outside the door. Your treaty is still holding firm, and people are just talking because there is nothing else for them to do. You gave the Republic peace! Think about that, you almost put a warrior like myself out of business there for a while." Wraith released his embrace, and pulled away while taking a step back. Darron kept his hands on her shoulders as he looked into her teary eyes.

"Ben picked you, because you were the best of us to do the job. Were you not Force-sensitive no one would have even had a bad thing to say about you besides your age. Don't hate him because he saw in you a greatness that you didn't know was there. You're just not satisfied or happy right now, it's frustration. You didn't pull Codi into anything, your friends will follow you no matter what happens. You can't be upset because your friend stuck with you despite the transition." Whatever relationship she was alluding to, Wraith most surely didn't catch the reference . Relationships were far from his strong suit, and hopefully she would forgive the man for completely missing the mark on that.

"It's why I said to talk to me, or someone you can confide in so you aren't alone. Not a soul can understand the burdens we bear, but the less that you hold in the better. You should remember this from your training, a clear mind is a decisive mind." A gloved thumb reached up and caught a tear, and he wiped it on his own robes before pulling Aleidis to follow him towards the door. "I think we will be okay without robes today, let the watchers come. You need to get away, so please. Let's go walk somewhere and get your mind off of this. You've been too long without actually seeing the people you represent as their Chancellor." A smile passed over his face. "Believe me, I was engaged to a former politician. She constantly spoke of the absolutes and the feeling of impending doom that never came. I think you could use a good meal and something besides this massive office to look at."

He looked back at the cake and tea, and made a note to clean that up before he left the planet.

"So come, no titles. Just Aleidis and Darron walking the streets. We get into trouble, you immerse yourself in the current...and I'll do what I do."

Aleidis Zrgaat

Darron couldn't see the bruises his hug and his push towards the door had left on the skin under her robes - nor did Alei want him to. She'd spent her whole life avoiding physical contact, and would spend the remainder of it doing so, but sometimes you just needed a hug. She wasn't as frail as she'd been years ago, either; Darron hadn't broken anything. So, real harm. Nothing she couldn't heal. And well, well worth the pain.

"Alright, Master Wraith." Aleidis decided with a small smile. "We'll do this your way - just let me get changed." The teenager regained some of her usual candor and good spirits, straightening up with her hands clasped at her waist.

When she had some privacy in her office, Aleidis became a flurry activity. She changed out of her stuffy robes, into a pair of warm trousers and a blue shirt. Boots went on, followed by her coat and scarf - to ward off the cold. Underneath the coat, her belt. One to ward off the cold, the other to keep her safe. Just like that, she was ready to go. Excited for perhaps the first time in weeks and weeks, Alei nearly skipped over to the door... then hesitated.

Wait. Not quite ready.

Aleidis stepped back to her desk, took a furtive look around, and then pinched off a piece of the cake with her fingertips. The morsel disappeared into her mouth, and Alei took a long moment to appreciate the rich, moist chocolate bought as a gift of affection and regard. She did like birthdays. This cake was Darron saying 'I'm glad you're alive for another year', and she loved him for the earnest nature he didn't always show. A heart that cared so much that the horrors of war had scared it off to Dantooine once it was broken at Roche.

Maybe she'd saved him on Dantooine. And maybe he'd saved her today. But that's what friends did. Sucking the chocolate off her fingertips, Aleidis hustled over to the door with light steps and let herself out of her office. "Kaytwelve, please move my afternoon appointments to tomorrow? Something came up. I'm leaving early." The teenager requested.

"Of course, Chancellor." The Droid affirmed, nodding. "Have a wonderful evening. Ozuurda."

"Dar'Ozuurda." She replied. Alei gave Darron a small grin, her pale cheeks lighting up with the glow that'd been pretty much gone for the past two months. "...I taught him some of my mother tongue." She explained sheepishly. "Ready when you are."

@[member="Aleidis Ijet"] OOC: Apologies for the length, just trying to get it moving while busy.

IC:

"Oh, I almost forgot." Wraith reached into the office with his mind, and the Force eagerly followed where his thoughts reached. His will wrapped around his cloak, and the invisible hand that was the Force jerked it across the room the the Jedi Master. The strange language that was spoken was barely audible to him as he focused on pulling his cloak on over his robes. Aleidis' explanation brought a laugh from him, and he couldn't stop himself. "You would teach your droid to speak a language only few know. I'm sure there is a political reason to that." Taking the lead, they made their way to the elevators to head towards the transport they would take.

A few minutes later, and they were outside the Senate offices and entering the transport.

"Where would you two like to go?" The droid's mechanical voice came through the speakers in a very synthesized tone. There was no emotional inflection, but sometimes that "human" touch wasn't needed. Wraith had to remember not every race as comfortable with droids, and them appearing more sentient than need be. "That's not my call, ask the lady. She's the one calling the shots today, we are celebrating her birthday."

Aleidis Zrgaat

"No political reason - sometimes, I just like to hear my own language." Aleidis explained with a sheepish smile. "I'm the only Ghostling on Coruscant that I know of. Most of my people never even think about leaving Datar." She justified as they slipped into a taxi together. The teenager laid her hands on her lap and glanced out the window, smiling faintly - it was nice to be going out with a friend. As he told the droid driver that it was her responsibility to pick where they were going, Alei leaned forward slightly. "...Joban Kett's restaurant In Gamma-37, please?" She requested.

"I've been there before, with Boolon - they have the best mushrooms." Aleidis explained with an excited smile.

The speeder swiftly took them through the virtually endless spires and towers of Galactic city, eventually dropping them off outside a fairly upscale restaurant with a vaguely tribal theme to it. Aleidis slid out of the taxi and adjusted her scarf to keep away the night's chill, her cheeks flushed at the biting wind. "So, what else have you been up to, Mr. Wraith?" Aleidis asked curiously, raising her eyebrows. "Any exciting ladies contact you from Ematch?" She inquired teasingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom