Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yaret-Kor'lah

Status
Not open for further replies.
organic_gun_high_fin_by_slocik.jpg

Intent: To create a new form of cannon, usable on beasts and ships of the Yuuzhan Vong. The intent is to essentially give a new variant of cannon for the vong to use, without super heating, that would allow for new forms of munitions beyond super heated molten rock

Development Thread: If necessary

Manufacturer: Legion Yun'Do

Model: Yaret-Basal

Affiliation: One Sith, Legion Yun'Do

Modularity: Yes. The intent of this submission is to provide a weapon that can be grafted to beasts/ground vehicles and ships, making it a modular component. Taking aspects from the Chom-Vrone, the weapon can also be intertwined and connected to the interior cargo of a vessel. The gun is essentially a light-gas gun, allowing varying types of munitions, with the primary initial focus on creating a new avenue of large scale munitions fire for the Yuuzhan Vong, similar to a mass accelerator cannon.

Production: Minor

Material: Yorik Coral, Yaret-Kor, Modified explosive chemical (extracted from Blast Bug), Hatch Sphincter, miniaturized and modified Chom-Vrone

Classification: Cannon

Size: Ship-Mounted

Length: Depends on the ship it's mounted to. Can range from 1 meter to 20 meters in length.

Weight: 1 ton - 40 tons, depending on the ship it's mounted on and the munitions.

Ammunition Type:Basic Ammo would be rocks, just like Yaret-Kor. However, just like a concussion missile launcher, this apparatus is extremely modular in the ammunition it can accept. However, no Dovin Basals, canon or factory based, can be fired from the Yaret-Kor'lah

Ammunition Capacity: Ammunition is entirely dependent on the size of the vehicle in which this weapon is mounted. Can range from 8 on the low side to upwards of 100 for cruisers/frigates. And can be loaded with additional ammunition.

Effective Range: 1km - 100km, based on vehicle and size of cannon, and whether it is fired in atmosphere or space. Speed is variable and dependent upon projectile type, size of Yaret-Kor'lah, and compression of propellant. Velocities can range from 300 m/s to 7km/s, depending on aforementioned variables.

Rate of Fire: Auto-loader, 4 munitions per minute, 2 per minute if sustained fire.

Special Features:
  • Force dead cannon
  • Comes in various sizes, which detail range and speed of launch, dependent on size of host vehicle
  • Thick yorik coral offers resilience for the cannon against common means of damage
  • Self-healing
  • Ingrained into nervous system of vehicle, allowing direct connection to pilot from Cognition Hood, or through vehicle Yammosk
  • First cannon made by the Vong that is capable of firing munitions besides super heated rock
Description:

"This is what happens when you awaken the beast..." - [member="Vrag"]

Long has the time past where the Yaret-Kor were capable of serving as the primary intership weapon for the Yuuzhan Vong armies. Knowing the need to adapt in order to overcome issues associated with the Yaret-kor, namely the lack of modularity of the ammunition, the shapers of the Legion Yun'Do began the meticulous process of bio engineering a new mode of destruction. What was born was the Yaret-Kor'lah, a cannon whose function is similar to the Yaret-Kor, except that instead of firing volcanic plasma, it can fire new forms of munitions due to the lack of super heating.

First and foremost, the Shapers began with the Yaret-Kor. Keeping the same physiology in mind, the inner walls of the Yorik-Kor were manipulated as to remove the inclination to super heat the materials hoisted within the firing tube. The premise of the cannon would need to be entirely changed in order to launch more specialized forms of munitions, meaning there would be a need for a new manner of firing. This arose through a slight union of medium with ballistics whereas the interior of the cannon would be hyper pressurized and hermetically sealed with a hatch sphincter just prior to the mouth of the cannon, similar to the physics of a 2 stage light-gas gun. The munition, being held beyond the hatch sphincter, is propelled by the propulsion from the compression of Hydrogen gas, fed into the cannon for each firing period. Ignition of jelly, pulled and massed from blast bugs, allows for the compression of the Hydrogen gas via biological piston action.

Piercing the loading bin while pressurized could destroy not just the weapon, but the surrounding chunk of the craft or beast it's attached to, leading to death of the weapon and dependent on the size of the ammunition, substantial damage to ship or beast. However, this weakness was mitigated with thickened yorik coral around the loading bin as well as the cannon itself, in order to further stabilize the propellant and the compression gas. Along with this, the base of the cannon itself is often mounted in coordination with defensive dovin basals, to further increase protection, and the targeting brain of the vessel will have been taught to prioritize this specific armament during the mounting process. On top of this, the yorik coral can be worked to metabolize metal, allowing for increased defenses around the loading bin.

The biology of the Yaret-Kor'lah, due to the shaped changes, is somewhat different than the Yaret-Kor. While the original cannon is grown into the vessel it will be attached, the Yaret-Kor'lah is grown in a separate pool housing, similar to a Gla, with the intent of grafting it to the vehicle once fully grown. This allows for particular control of the survival process, fine tuning the shaping of yorik coral to the softer exterior of the pre-armored creature, allowing ample nutrient for sphincter strengthening. Once it is grown to meet the specifications of the vehicle, it is flown out to the shipwomb above Selvaris and hoisted against the vessel (assuming it's put on a spacecraft and not ground beast). After an odd slithering mating ritual, the weapon inserts it's claws into the yorik coral/skin of the species and attaches it's nervous system and optional loading tube to the central biological systems of the vessel. It's at this point that trajectory can be controlled through cognition hood, grafted to the vessel/vehicle, or through Yammosk if so inclined.

The optional loading tube, while developed from a chom-vrone, is grown alongside the Yaret-Kor'lah, similar to an umbilical cord and acts to elongate the pressurized movement of the compressed gas (increasing the ballistic force upon ejection). In vessels big enough to store a contingent of ammunition, beyond initial capacity, this umbilical cord ties the gun back to this 'nutrient' location, where it receives munitions (similar to a proton bay). Similar to the Yaret-Kor, this cannon pulls it's energy and capabilities directly from the beast in which it's grafted. The grafting is not permanent, though the host often dies in an attempt to remove the cannon, which can take upwards of 18 hours. The Yaret-Kor'lah, due to the potential for high velocity, has an extremely capable healing capacity on the inner wall, preventing continuous damage from high pressure. On top of this, the exterior carries the typical self-healing properties found in Yaret-Kor.

Restrictions: Due to the nature of Vong weaponry, it is difficult to surmise physical parameters such as length or weight. Ranges have been provided instead, citing that any future rendition of the item will not occur on standard canon weapons or tech. I.e. in order for this to be used, it must accompany a factory submission. Along with this, at no point can this weapon fire a dovin basal or any permeation of a dovin basal.

Primary Source: (Please link the source of another writer's submission that you are modifying for your use; only necessary for "Chaos Canon" submissions)

<p>RESEARCH REVIEW<br /> <br />Star Wars Canon:<br />Pending initial review<br /> <br />Starwars Chaos: <br />Pending initial review<br /> <br />WITHOUT DEV THREADS<br />Pending initial review<br /><br />WITH DEV THREADS<br />Pending Initial review<br /><br />SUGGESTIONS<br />Pending Inital review</p>

[member="Reverance"]

I've read the sub and I applaud the thought and effort that went into this. The "science" and SW science all checks out and a lot of this makes sense.

Granted... this part makes my skin crawl.

Reverance said:
After an odd slithering mating ritual, the weapon inserts it's claws into the yorik coral/skin of the species and attaches it's nervous system and optional loading tube to the central biological systems of the vessel.

I really like the sub, but I have a lot of concerns about this.
It literally fires Singularity Mines.

Singularity mines appeared like tiny black seedpods, with some of them being heart-shaped, and each contained a miniature gravity-manipulating dovin basal. The outer shell of the mine was weak enough to break when stepped upon. When the shell was broken, the dovin basal inside would create a singularity, instantaneously crushing to the size of molecules any nearby matter—sentient or otherwise—within the singularity's two-meter diameter. Due to the mines' fragility and lethality, the Yuuzhan Vong only distributed them to the most experienced or expendable warriors.
This is naaaaasty. It would bypass all shields, armor, and force abilities and suck anything it struck (whole or partially) into a miniature black hole.

As someone who enjoys roleplaying naval combat, I don't see this weapon as being fair to other writers even when used as intended.
Nothing I've seen on this website or in canon could deal with this weapon, except maybe another Dovin Basal.
Even point defense lasers would be questionable vs this thing.

I've spoken with three other Factory Judges and all of them agree on two things.
One; This is too powerful. On the "minimum setting", you're shooting Singularity Mines at people. I don't even want to know what the "maximum setting" would be, shooting Singularity Mines at people is already too much.
Two: It's unfair to other writers and will lead to reports nearly every time it is used.

So, if you want to keep this sub, I'm going to need you to find a different ammo to be launched from this thing.
Dovin Basals and Singularity Mines are too much. If they remain a part of this submission, I'm going to have to deny on concept.

[member="War Hydra"]

Yeah, gotcha. How about this? All munitions that are fired by this Yaret-Basal must be approved through factory, just like any other missile flinging device. That way, we can make sure that the munitions fired aren't as powerful as the canon version or at the very least, have built in weaknesses?

So in a sense, I take out the mention of singularity mines, mention instead modified dovin basals throughout (as well as other stuff like explosive rocks or something, keep it modular), and then put a restriction on it that requires all munitions fired through this thing to be approved by the factory via weapon sub if they are composed, in any way, of dovin basals?

I can think of numerous ways the dovin basal can be combated, at least if we are using modified ones, and those can be strictly built into the submission through 'interpretation' of yuuzhan vong physics.

[member="Reverance"]

Unfortunately, as a concept, firing black holes at people is not acceptable at this time. Nor, I expect, will it ever be.

The gun that fired lightsaber beams was denied for "not conforming to Star Wars canon", and that was significantly more tame than a gun that fires black holes.

I'm sorry, but this weapon system will be getting denied on concept so long as it continues to fire any form of black hole, singularity, dovin basal, singularity mine, or any similar ammunition or any ammunition that produces a similar effect. Likewise, if an ammo is subbed later that would allow such a feat, then that ammo will be denied.

In short, you cannot have a gun that fires black holes at people.

[member="War Hydra"]

Not every instance of the dovin basal creates destructive black holes. Some were modified to block transmission, others purely used to disrupt gravimetric fields. My intent is to genetically modify dovin basals in the future, to have similar yet less disruptive powers - while also sticking with something that is canon. For instance:

Master Shaper Nen Yim created a special breed of dovin basals which she installed on a captured Zonama Sekotan ship. They were a prototype for a new type of dovin basal which were capable of collapsing gravity disturbances like those generated by an Interdictor.
I would argue that numerous things, just as powerful, are allowed and fired from similar means with far more ambiguous notions (Gravity Bomb).

So, hypothetically, if I created a dovin basal that's sole function was to disrupt holonet communication, fired from the Yaret-Basal, it would be denied on the premise that it was made from a Dovin Basal? What I'm trying to ask is this, so I don't squander my time in the future: is their a blanket factory ban on the genetic modification of dovin basals? If so, that's fine and I'll modify this to have more ambiguous ammunition, reflecting just the capacity of the vong to create something similar to the light-gas gun or mass driver, but I would just like to know for the future.

[member="Reverance"]

Reverance said:
[member="War Hydra"]

Not every instance of the dovin basal creates destructive black holes. Some were modified to block transmission, others purely used to disrupt gravimetric fields. My intent is to genetically modify dovin basals in the future, to have similar yet less disruptive powers - while also sticking with something that is canon. For instance:

I would argue that numerous things, just as powerful, are allowed and fired from similar means with far more ambiguous notions (Gravity Bomb).

So, hypothetically, if I created a dovin basal that's sole function was to disrupt holonet communication, fired from the Yaret-Basal, it would be denied on the premise that it was made from a Dovin Basal? What I'm trying to ask is this, so I don't squander my time in the future: is their a blanket factory ban on the genetic modification of dovin basals? If so, that's fine and I'll modify this to have more ambiguous ammunition, reflecting just the capacity of the vong to create something similar to the light-gas gun or mass driver, but I would just like to know for the future.
The Gravity Gun, which fires Gravity Bombs, is on the wookieepedia list of superweapons, all of which are considered Banned Technology on SW Chaos.

Dovin Basals are not banned within the factory, however they are a very powerful item that is very easy to abuse in roleplay. As such, we put a great deal of scrutiny into their use and inclusion in submissions.

Firing one from a gun is not acceptable at this time.

Granted, if you create a specific ammo that is a Dovin Basal hybrid... that specifically states in the submission "does not cause physical damage" and "not to be fired at planets, starships, NPC's, or Player Characters", then that would be a special situation that would be handled on a case-by-case basis. I won't say that it will or will not be approved, but I can say that it will be considered based upon the case presented for it.

But sucking people and objects into singularities, vibrating their atoms apart, and producing death-inducing gravity is not acceptable, as it is inappropriate in a roleplay setting and unfair for most writers.

This submission is being denied for being a black hole gun, not for genetically modified dovin basals or other hypothetical creations.

If you wish to see if those other creations would be approved down the line, submit them and see.

Your reference to Nen Yim was specifically utilized for passing through one interdiction field, and it was only used once - and it was barely successful. Those dovin basals fried after use, as stated by Corran Horn who was onboard the ship.

Again, the Factory can not judge the future, only what is has in front of it now. This submission is denied.

If you wish it to pass, second chance it & pick a different ammo.

[member="Popo"]

I've already made edits but please feel free to read over it once more. I'm happy to work on editing or decreasing power if need be. I've removed Dovin Basals entirely from the submission, even changing the name to reflect that change.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
[member="Reverance"]
Alright. From what I've read and understand of the submission as it is right now, you're trying to make a Vong weapon that is capable of being tailored to various ships and ground creatures that features a modular ammunition ability. Couple this with the way the weapon functions and the way I'm reading this is that the weapon functions much like a standard mass driver, but without the traditional Vong flaming plasma rock throwing stuff in it.

With that outlook on this, this science and such check out. My job here is to make sure it is no longer a superweapon, it adheres to canon and common sense, is balanced to not be readily and easily abused, and to please the Factory Gods/Admins.

That said, let's begin.

Reverance said:
Size: Ship-Mounted
This contradicts the intent and other areas. You mention it's for both ground and space use, but here it is only ship-mounted. Normally, I'd just ask for an edit. However, I'd like to hold off on that for now so I can discuss a way to balance the sub at the end of my post.

Length: Depends on the ship it's mounted to. Can range from 1 meter to 20 meters in length.

Weight: 1 ton - 40 tons, depending on the ship it's mounted on and the munitions.

Ammunition Type:Basic Ammo would be rocks, just like Yaret-Kor.However, just like a concussion missile launcher, this apparatus is extremely modular in the ammunition it can accept. However, no Dovin Basals, canon or factory based, can be fired from the Yaret-Kor'lah

Ammunition Capacity: Ammunition is entirely dependent on the size of the vehicle in which this weapon is mounted. Can range from 8 on the low side to upwards of 100 for cruisers/frigates. And can be loaded with additional ammunition.

Effective Range: 1km - 100km, based on vehicle and size of cannon, and whether it is fired in atmosphere or space. Speed is variable and dependent upon projectile type, size of Yaret-Kor'lah, and compression of propellant. Velocities can range from 300 m/s to 7km/s, depending on aforementioned variables.
All of this is great and all, and I like the fact that you considered ranges for all sizes and classes, but this is far too vague and inconclusive. There's no real idea on what the 'standard' weapon is classified as for strength. The common sense way to figure it is that a standard, unaltered Yaret Kor'lah is equivalent to a single capital weapon, but with all these variables that may not be readily apparent and easily abused. Someone could easily claim that their tank-analog Yaret Kor'lah is just as powerful as one mounted on a Worldship, which would cause problems. Again, I'll hold off on asking edits here for right now for the same reason stated earlier.

Reverance said:
After an odd slithering mating ritual, the weapon inserts it's claws into the yorik coral/skin of the species and attaches it's nervous system and optional loading tube to the central biological systems of the vessel.
Also, I'm with [member="War Hydra"] on this one. I've seen enough internet to not want to know this part lol

Alright, now for the overall proposal for changes. Here's what I'm thinking.

Let's forget about the ground creature use of the weapon and the use of the cannon on starfighters for right now. My reasoning is simple; there's no real way to scale this weapon to an equivalent weapon already in use in a reliable fashion as it stands now, which means there's no accurate way to scale it. This weapon ranges from sizes for tank-analogs to Super Star Destroyer analogs which means the power of the weapon is purely dependent on the user, those they'll be used upon, and common sense. As common sense is both uncommon and highly dependent on the individual possessing it, or lack thereof, let's make this basic and simple to understand.

To start with, what is the capital ship weapon value of a standard Yaret Kor'lah? Let's start with that and move outward. Once that's established the modifiers can be applied and the weapon scaled up and down, both in power and size, appropriately.

[member="Popo"]

The intent of this submission was not to be an out of the bag active deployment. I was more focused on the notion of it being a reasonable concept (as in, if the tech was sound, the concept could be approved followed by additional more specific subs of ground vehicles without having repetitive factory subs of every rendition of the Kor'lah (capital, corvette, cruiser, etc).

Ranges have been provided instead, citing that any future rendition of the item will not occur on standard canon weapons or tech. I.e. in order for this to be used, it must accompany a factory submission.

As such, my intent was to essentially have this approved and then create new beasts/ships that would detail the specifics of this weapon. Which is not different in any way from canon vong tech in that a Yaret-Kor can be mounted on anything ranging from a coral skipper up to a worldship, where the size of the vehicle dictates the output of the weapon and the size. While I can understand you being apprehensive about the starfighter, I'd be willing to aquiesce with the implication that ground vehicles are still up for discussion. Why? Well, there is no current limit on size of ground vehicles and as such, I think something with the appropriate size could effectively fit it whether it is on the ground or in space.

Nevertheless, it seems that lines are being crossed in the intent of this submission. As such, please archive this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom