Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech XK 40 Thermal Detonator Machine Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • 98cbbc02f057741aeb58db8a6088bad1.jpg

Intent: To create a weapon for the vehicles, bases, fortresses and fighting positions of The Ancient Eye
  • Image Source: X
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Restricted Missions: N/A
  • Primary Source: N/A
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: The Ancient Eye
  • Model: XK 40
  • Affiliation: The Ancient Eye
  • Modularity: Yes but the modification would be unique
  • Production: Minor
  • Material: Durasteel, Sythmesh and electronics.
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Thermal Detonator Machine Gun
  • Size: Large
  • Weight: Very heavy
  • Ammunition Type: Thermal Detonators
  • Ammunition Capacity: 50 per drum
  • Reload Speed: Avarage
  • Effective Range: Long Range
  • Rate of Fire: Avarage
  • Stopping Power: Very High
  • Recoil: Average
SPECIAL FEATURES
Can be dismounted realistically but it would be incredibly difficult to move this thing around without vehicles and machines.
Can be both manually aimed and utilized or linked up to a electronic system and have droids use it or control it with a console
Thermal/Night Vision
Targeting system

Strengths:
Ok, Who designed this? a 3rd grader?: It's a machine gun that shoots Thermal detonators. Whatever is in the area that this weapon is shooting at will have a very bad day. It is a very simple concept with incredibly devastating result.

Multi Purpose: Defense or offense this weapon can do both. It can be mounted on vehicles for offensive warfare or on defensive buildings

Surprisingly accurate: It uses electronic guiding systems, the same used in missile guiding. It will designate an area of effect, roughly around one hundred meters and then let loose with it's volley effectively leveling the ground it designates as a target.

Weaknesses:
Wow. How in the kark does this jam so much?: This jams a whole lot of the time. You will be lucky if you finish one drum of thermal detonators without having to pull on the crank, eject the round and attempt to fire again.

Worst kind of jams happen: Sometimes the thermal detonator itself will lodge inside the barrel making the soldier have to manually eject it using a screwdriver like iron rod from the bottom. This is combat is horrific.

Barrel Change: Just like other Ancient Eye weaponry that are fully automatic the overheat means the barrel needs to be changed, failure to do so will increase the chance of catastrophic failure which in this particular case means a thermal detonator blowing up in your face.

We need Human hands: Droids can work too but an electronic system or an "Auto Turret" cannot work with this weapon. You need to have a manual way to eject those thermal detonators from the bottom of the lower receiver because that jam always happens and the weapon stops working when that jam happens.

Power Source: This weapon requires a power source to utilize, meaning Ion weapons can render it inoperable.

DESCRIPTION
The XK 40 is an air-cooled, electromagnetically operated, belt fed machine gun that is fed by a disintegrating metallic link and fires thermal detonators.

The legend among the grunts of The Ancient Eye is that the higher ups in the weapon design went to a forth grade class room and asked the kids to design a weapon, one kid said "A Machine gun that fires thermal detonators" and that kid got an intergalactic award of intelligence.

The design is simple, a machine gun that fired thermal detonators at a fully automatic rate of fire and uses electronic guiding systems to make it accurate and incredibly deadly. It is designed to be primarily attached to infantry fighting vehicles and transports for offense but it is equally used for defensive buildings and infrastructure.

The testing was initially good and it was passed however it does have some glaring problems that the weapons Manufacturers never got around to working on, instead they pushed it forward so impressed with it's firepower and destructive capabilities that they gave very little concern to the lives lost in subsequent testing due to misfires and explosions.

This weapon needs a power supply

[member="Mythos"] | [member="Arken Lussk"]

Mythos said:
Affiliation: The Ancient Eye
Please link your manufacturer.

Mythos said:
Production: Mass Produced

Mythos said:
Ammunition Capacity: 50 per drum

Mythos said:
Effective Range: Long Range

Mythos said:
Stopping Power: Extreme

Mythos said:
Surprisingly accurate: It uses electronic guiding systems, the same used in missile guiding.
All of the above is problematic. I will not approve a Mass Produced, electronically guided, 50 drum capacity long ranged thermal detonator machine gun.

My first issue is that thermal detonators do not have any type of guidance system capable of producing a lock, or means of transport once activated and fired. To do so would require such tech to be submitted separately because there is no canon example, and, to my knowledge, no real life equivalent of a grenade guidance system, though there are somewhat similar capabilities as noted here and here. The key take away from these articles are "That means the grenade can be programmed to explode at a set distance, whether or not it actually impacts anything. With proper aim, a soldier would be able to program the grenade's electronic fuse to detonate and air-burst above an enemy position."

My second issue is the Mass Produced, Extreme stopping power, coupled with a 50 round drum and long range. All of this needs adjusting to some degree, however if you vacate the guidance system in favor of a free-fire method the Long Range may stay.

Jamie Pyne said:
to my knowledge, no real life equivalent of a grenade guidance system,
Yes. There is. I work on it. (Pause it at 15 seconds) By guidance systems it mean it predicts where it is going to land using the system of gas power propeller ejecting the 40mm grenade which explodes on impact using physics and angle fire. I could however sub a special kind of thermal detonator which is mass produced with the only difference being it explodes upon impact.

I could also alter the sub to express that there would be a delay from the device landing to it exploding or saying how the device cooks the detonator before it launches is, using electronics to to gauge the time it takes to cook and for it land.

Ex: A Detonator taking 5 seconds to cook and explode and the target being about 600 meters out, means the system cooks the detonators for two and half seconds before launching so it blows up on impact.

Jamie Pyne said:
My second issue is the Mass Produced, Extreme stopping power,
What kind of stopping power do you think a thermal detonator would have? i assume it will stop something pretty extremely, judging for what i have read about thermal deets. Again this is just me guessing, i also gave it an extreme recoil to balance it out with pretty hefty weakness.

Jamie Pyne said:
long ranged
When i say long range i mean about a mile, again, just letting myself be guided by a real life weapon system equivalent. Would a mile be considered long range?

Jamie Pyne said:
coupled with a 50 round drum
Again, going off by real life equivalent equipment which i am modeling this out of, it gave it 2 more rounds. I can bring it down to the recommended 42.

Also [member="Jamie Pyne"] the articles that you mention are from hand held, single shot, rifle modification grenade launchers that are attached to a weapon called the M208 Grenade launcher. It fires the same thing that the Mk19, the 40mm grenade but they are attached to the rifle (Actually, awesome idea, I will make a star wars equivalent to it after this one)

This sub is modeled by the system called the Mk19. Which is a Machine Gun that fries the earth version of grenades. Which can be mounted on vehicles, shot in the floor or mounted on whatever stuff you want, but when mounted on vehicles, as with everything, they have an electronic system that is used to fire them.

[member="Mythos"]
Mythos said:
Yes. There is. I work on it. (Pause it at 15 seconds)By guidance systems it mean it predicts where it is going to land using the system of gas power propeller ejecting the 40mm grenade which explodes on impact using physics and angle fire.
This is not at all what I was picturing your submission as. I was under the impression that each of these thermal detonators had a rocket-guided attachment on it.

Mythos said:
What kind of stopping power do you think a thermal detonator would have? i assume it will stop something pretty extremely
Mythos said:
i also gave it an extreme recoil
No. A thermal detonator is not extreme. Subbed individually, a grenade would not be considered extreme, thus, neither will a turreted version of one. How exactly does this weapon, mounted to a vehicle, base, or fortress validate an extreme recoil? Judging by the video that you linked, this should be very low or low, given that there is no noticeable affect to the person aiming this weapon since it is clear that the computer system calculates whatever recoil is to be had into its subsequent shots.

Here's your options:
  1. Lower production to Limited. Leave the range at long. Drop the recoil rating and replace it with a genuine weakness because it's not valid unless the system cannot compensate for it, in which case, please note that so it is clear. Drop the stopping power to Very High.
  2. Lower production to Minor. Leave the range at long. Drop the recoil rating and replace it with a genuine weakness because it's not valid unless the system cannot compensate for it, in which case, please note that so it is clear. Drop the stopping power to Very High. Add an additional weakness that does not involve the gun jamming, as that is three of your four weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom