Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech X-C 3 Ion Drive Array

Status
Not open for further replies.

Progflaw99

x-3-ion-drive-array-2.jpg

Image Source: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/sith-infiltrator-3d-model| http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Scimitar/Legends

Intent: Provide an updated prototype Ion Drive Array based on the original prototype drive created for use on the Star Courier design.

Development Thread: If Required

Manufacturer: Sienar-Jaemus Fleet Systems

Model: X-C 3

Affiliation: Order of Ren, Knights of Ren

Modularity: No

Production: Semi-Unique (Restricted to Knights of Ren/First Order | Cannot be attached to vessels over 50m in length)

Material: Electronics, Heat Resistant Polymers, Durasteel and Titanium components, Alusteel Reinforced Framework.

Strengths:

High Power Output: Provides a massive amount of thrust due to its high output allowing craft to travel quickly at the cost of heat buildup.

Hot Performer: Performs better at higher temperatures and when operating near its upper temperature limit.

Limited Heat Signature: Due to the complex heat dispersing system of the array and the exterior heat shielding prevents much of the high heat from escaping, aiding in keeping the energy signature visible to sensors the same as a standard Ion Drive.

Weaknesses:

Complex Design: Not easily repairable without significant knowledge of its systems and/or a dry dock.

Power Sink: As its predecessor, this Drive Array consumes a lot of power. Without the proper power delegation in place, this can cause other systems to fail. This contributes to its high temperature.

Over-temp: As the array runs warm as-is, it is not difficult to reach the upper limits when looking at heat resistance. Run at max power for longer than several minutes causes the components to start cooking, resulting in power fluctuations and possibly even drive failure.

Description: Created as a prototype drive, mirroring its predecessor the X-C 2 Ion Drive Array, minor tweaks have been made to the system however it maintains some of the key characteristics of the original. Still technically a prototype drive its production is limited and maintains its high temperature output and is prone to overheating if pressed to its maximums for anything more than short periods of time. Minor improvements to detectable energy signatures and heat signatures have been made but all in all, the drive array itself is still on par with most standard ion drives. Working towards updating some of the old Ion Drive Array designs, this is part of a larger project to re-examine outdated blueprints.

Special Features/Technical Features: This drive when equipped on a stock vessel should in theory increase the speed of the craft by one or two points (-1 or -2 on "Speed Rating" in the ship submission template), however this is also subject to the nature of the vessel equipped. Factors affecting this could be weight, size, armament, design, loadout, and other factors which would affect the speed of a vessel. As increased power provides more forward thrust, this may also require a negative effect on manueverability. Taking into account those factors, additional development may be required subject to Judge approval. (Note: Speed rating cannot drop below 1 while utilizing this drive array.)

Primary Source: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/X-C_2_ion_drive_array

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Castor Ren"], is this going to be used to increase the speed of a future ship submission? Or this most of a world building submission, where this submission will mostly be used as an in-character, but it won't really affect future starship submissions?

If you do intend to have this affect a future starship, can you tell me a little bit about the scale of the ships that will be using it, as well as how much of a speed increase that you're looking to get?

Progflaw99

[member="Gir Quee"]

Hi! Thanks for looking! The plan is to utilize it in 1 series of ships. In tandem with this, I am putting together a starship submission for a 27.5m length "Heavy Starfighter". More or less what I'm going for with this submission is to update the X-C 2 originally used in the Sith Infiltrator, or the "Scimitar" but push forward 800~ years to bring it back into standard. As a Semi-unique The plan was to have it be scaled specifically to Starfighters/Heavy Starfighters. (Less than 50m).

I have yet to sub that ship submission as I am currently in the process of doing development and planning for it.

Going off of the "Sith Infiltrator" design, which was particularly susceptible to high temperatures, I've tweaked this slightly from the original design, adding in a limited heat signature outwards at the cost of higher temperatures and less "Max Press" time than a standard array. As far as technical specs go, I was thinking maybe a +1 or +2 (Or rather, -1 or -2, making it faster :p )on the "Speed" rating once I get the ship submission. I'm more or less attempting to develop/flesh out components as the Sith Infiltrators I am planning on submitting are going to be (As this array) a limited run, to only the Knights of Ren (Of which currently number less than 20).

In doing so, I would like to update and make sure that all my ships submissions are up to factory standard, so by submitting this, it brings it out of "Canon" land of 800 years ago into the present, with a few tweaks as well. Nothing uber fancy, not a stealth drive or anything, simply a bit more fleshed out than the wiki page to add some flavor and some extra speed. (I kind of imagined that was the tradeoff according to the "Sith Infiltrator" and "X-C 2 Ion Drive Array" wookie pages, that the tradeoff for such a high power output was the increased heat (Hence the mandatory extensions of the "Wings" on the Infiltrator).

In addition, I also took some cues from the Starwars cutaway found here - Image

All in all, a minor boost to speed (Which will be noted in the ship submission) of -1 or -2 (Faster than base/standard "Ion Drives" at the cost of being susceptible to overheating easily. As far as scale, it's limited to ships 50m and below, so "Starfighters" as Chaos defines them.

I think that covers it, but if I missed a question, let me know!

Thanks!

[member="Castor Ren"], cool, that makes a lot of sense.

Castor Ren said:
Production: Semi-Unique

Castor Ren said:
As a Semi-unique The plan was to have it be scaled specifically to Starfighters/Heavy Starfighters. (Less than 50m).

That sounds good. Could you put that something like that in parenthesis just behind "Semi-Unique" in the production field? I would put something like "restricted to the use of personal starfighters/transports of the Knights of Ren", but I'm pretty flexible on the actual language you use to show that plan to other people.

Castor Ren said:
As far as technical specs go, I was thinking maybe a +1 or +2 (Or rather, -1 or -2, making it faster )on the "Speed" rating once I get the ship submission.

I'd probably put this under the special features somewhere, or perhaps in the strengths.

I should warn you that there is a chance that since all submissions are judged separately, a judge may ask you for development for this speed increase in the ship submission depending on the ship's other attributes.

Otherwise, I think this looks ready for approval.

Castor Ren said:
As far as technical specs go, I was thinking maybe a +1 or +2 (Or rather, -1 or -2, making it faster )on the "Speed" rating once I get the ship submission.

Progflaw99

[member="Gir Quee"]

Edits made!

EDIT 1: Production: Semi-Unique (Restricted to Knights of Ren/First Order | Cannot be attached to vessels over 50m in length)

EDIT 2: Special Features/Technical Features: This drive when equipped on a stock vessel should in theory increase the speed of the craft by one or two points (-1 or -2 on "Speed Rating" in the ship submission template), however this is also subject to the nature of the vessel equipped. Factors affecting this could be weight, size, armament, design, loadout, and other factors which would affect the speed of a vessel. Taking into account those factors, additional development may be required subject to Judge approval.

Castor Ren said:
Special Features/Technical Features: This drive when equipped on a stock vessel should in theory increase the speed of the craft by one or two points (-1 or -2 on "Speed Rating" in the ship submission template), however this is also subject to the nature of the vessel equipped. Factors affecting this could be weight, size, armament, design, loadout, and other factors which would affect the speed of a vessel. Taking into account those factors, additional development may be required subject to Judge approval.
Please add a notation that speed ratings cannot drop below 1.

I would also suggest you make this negatively impact maneuverability, but that's just a suggestion.

Progflaw99

[member="Darth Vitium"]

Edit : Factors affecting this could be weight, size, armament, design, loadout, and other factors which would affect the speed of a vessel. As increased power provides more forward thrust, this may also require a negative effect on manueverability. Taking into account those factors, additional development may be required subject to Judge approval. (Note: Speed rating cannot drop below 1 while utilizing this drive array.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom