Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Writers Challenge

Matreya

First, no the title does not signify the writer portion of your user, rather as yourself as an individual. Second, welcome to the thread discussing my soon to be tournament.

Where in the average tournament holds only IC ruleset's, this one will also hold a particular rule designated to the OOC intent:

To be able to win IC you must be exemplary as a writer.

This applies to myself, Jon if he joins, any and all. No one is held to a different standard. After joining the site i was told that the larger the post, the grander the reward (ie the higher word count you hold under a specific talent can aid in increasing the actual skill, etc). But i find myself seeing a great deal of smaller posts, now dont get me wrong this does include myself, and thats why i want to change this. Im working personally to create greater depth in my stories; as an example recently when i hit a wall in my development thread for an alt i plowed out a 1500+ word post plus what was already done.

Now here is my real challenge with the addition of that rule, to be what i consider exemplary Id ask for no less then 200 words (id love more though), as well as proper grammar and punctuation to the best of ones abilities. (Personally i type on a phone so its harder to do the punctuating). Heres where the stakes raise higher, the winner's rewards would be based on the standard for their writing! If you plow out 10k words, you get the deemed equivalent.

The rewards can include giant factory subs, that would require multiple dev threads, ic credit gain etc. All of this would require MY own personal attentiveness, being it needing to rp dev threads, or having my characters teach any rare abilities he/she holds etc.

Basically to wrap it up, this is to see who would like to participate in a writers challenge. The winner will by default win something big (possibly awesome armor and ships etc) but if they really put in work, i am as well to the extent that i am willing to literally make anything you ask of me (in applicable means) in return. I might even end up creating items for second and third place as well as further incentive.

Matreya

Amazing, thank you very much. Spread the word with me and we might be able to really make this something worth while @[member="Karolus Krupp"]

this sounds fun. years ago I had fun writing with a friend. we used to push each other to add detail and as much info in our posts as we could. We ended up doing 2k word posts each lol. was an awesome thread wish I saved it.

Yes
Very much yes

EDIT: On the site I used to RP on, I was known for kicking out 800 word posts like they were nothing.
I'd love to go back to that.

Karolus Krupp

Minister of Intelligence
I wish that this gets more interest. It sincerely deserves, with the short posts overwhelming the boards, specifically some factions this would definitely boost everyone's post quality. Do not get me wrong I also have my fair share of bad posts. Ha'way lads, join in!

Nyxie

【夢狐】
I do not support this for the following reasons.
Rather, I don't support the following:

Kasamann said:
To be able to win IC you must be exemplary as a writer. This applies to myself, Jon if he joins, any and all. No one is held to a different standard. After joining the site i was told that the larger the post, the grander the reward (ie the higher word count you hold under a specific talent can aid in increasing the actual skill, etc). But i find myself seeing a great deal of smaller posts, now dont get me wrong this does include myself, and thats why i want to change this. Im working personally to create greater depth in my stories; as an example recently when i hit a wall in my development thread for an alt i plowed out a 1500+ word post plus what was already done.

Not everyone is an 'exemplary' writer. In fact, for some, writing just isn't their strong suite. Why should they be held to the same standard as, oh, say, Jon or I? That might encourage people to try their best but it doesn't reward them for giving it their best and improving. It only dances a carrot on a stick.
My second argument is this; Quality over Quantity. One may write an appealing story with a solid foundation, without the need to spend X amount of words per post doing so. Now, I'm not saying everything should be a speed-thread or a two-liner either. Length is ultimately subjective of the writer, as he or she is the one who decides where they want their story to go and how they want it to end. That doesn't make it any less interesting. If anything, it's the substance in-between the opening and conclusion that makes it interesting, and quality should be thought of by how clever use of story elements is carried out.
Ultimately though, RP is collaborative writing, and it's about how well players can give and take that dictates how solid a story is going to be.

I digress; that's just my two decicreds. I might just be reading into that wrong.

Matreya

@[member="Ashe the Reaper"]
Should is a keen word, i asked for those that would be up for it. Not demanded, nor commanded. I simply am seeking to aid those interested, in expanding their writing talents. I hope through this tournament that some writers whom arent known for grandeur, may surprise and toss some amazing things out.

If one doesnt feel this thread is acceptable they should do the same as with any other, back out of it. Challenging those whom wish it isnt bad, and seeking to aid in their writing abilities shouldnt be looked down on.

@[member="Kasamann"] Need Threads, and I can push out a good 1k posts on a regular basis, but don't because of my limited time on here. This is very interesting and I would like to join.

@[member="Ashe the Reaper"] You bring up a good point, but as Zaiden said its more for a fun challenge, and to gain more experience. And just for fun, the few people who are doomed really good get a small prize. yes I admit that maybe he could have fleshed it out a little bit more on that part, but I digress.

Matreya

Ok, so I figure this will be how we do it:

Full on group event
Force, Environmental, Mental Challenges

The first challenge is gonna be posted sometime tomorrow. In it, there will be NPC Force Masters that remain unseen, battling to weigh you down. For every 20 words, that is 5 feet closer to the end of the race.

200 words = 50 feet
400 words = 100 feet
So on and so forth

Until then.

@[member="Kasamann"] lol maybe clear that up.

There is going to be a race of some kind, Masters are going to be doing something to everybody and they are NPC's being controlled by the big man with the purple skin and weird ears. ANd every 20 words you get closer by five feet. OR FOR YOU NON AMERICANS! its about 1.6 meters

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom