Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private When Destiny Assigns Wisdom

As he stepped across the threshold, Arcturus could not help but breathe in the scent of countless aging books.
It had been too long since he'd come here of his own volition. His previous visit had been the result of him hunting down Celeste Demici Celeste Demici for lessons on Blood Magic, and while he'd come away from that with several new tomes to read there was nothing quite like coming to this place for a peaceful afternoon of drifting among the bookcases in search of something new. Something he didn't even know that he was looking for.
The boy had come a long way since he'd first arrived into the hands of the Sith. Back then he hadn't even been able to read. And yet under Darth Empyrean Darth Empyrean 's careful watch he'd blossomed into one who could not fathom a day going by without a book having been picked up. Though countless tomes lay within his room, though he could have spent an eternity there reading, there was something to be said about lingering within the library proper.
Plus it was often rather deserted. Few saw the promise held within a good book, most saw strength only in brawn. Well they were missing out.
He made his way down several aisles, peering over the books but finding nothing which immediately jumped out at him. One would soon enough, one always did...

" Arcturus Dinn Arcturus Dinn . Well, I'm supposed I'm not surprised you'd be here." Down one of the numerous aisles a pair of smoldering eyes and a kind smile would greet the other acolyte. The figure dipped his head in somewhat of a bow before snapping his own book shut to set back onto the shelf beside him. The basics of alchemy, or something like that. Written in old Sith by the title on the spine. The well dressed figure stood to his fullest height, even if he was shorter, primp and proper. Elegant and noble by all appearances.

"Searching for anything specific? I might be able to assist."

Lost in thoughts of what could be lingering inside the tome he eventually grabbed, Arcturus was rather caught off guard by the presence of another acolyte. One who knew his name, but whose name he did not know. That was merely the nature of his kind, though, and truly Arc had been informed of such superstitions in the past. A name holds power, and he who knew that name held power over the individual. It was not a new concept to the boy, but he'd never met one who took it quite so seriously as the Firrerreons.
As surprised as he was, he didn't jump. He turned slowly to regard the individual, bowing his head some by way of greeting.
"Acolyte Firrerreo, was it?" he inquired, having met the boy several times before though mostly in passing. Their trip to the Netherworld more immediately came to mind. "Mostly just perusing, in truth," he explained, with a loose shrug, toying with one of the books on the shelf to his side. "What about you? What brings you to the archives this day?"

"Acolyte, Firrerreo. Either work." The young man was a firm believer of his peoples faith in names. So much so he'd made sure his name was never on record, even among the Academy. He turned his gaze towards the books around him before reaching up to take another book to idly glance through during the conversation. Sith familiars? Intriguing. He'd have to keep this book for later.

"Much of the same. They've many good books here, after all. And Sith'ari knows that knowledge is a hard thing to come by outside a place like this."

"Firrerreo it is then" he decided with a nod, never having been one who liked to use titles among his fellow Acolytes. It felt... sleezy almost. Like they weren't fellow people but competitors. Nope, not for Arcturus.
It seemed as though they were both there for similar reasons then, simply to look around and see if anything caught their fancy. Certainly Arcturus saw the way in which the boys eyes seemed to temporarily light up when he saw the premise of the book now in his hands.
"Sith Familiars, eh?" he said, tilting his head curiously to one side. Then he reached into his pocket, and gently produced what looked to be a snowmouse. Not native to these parts, to be sure. "This is Nostremous, he's my familiar. If you find you need any assistance with it, you're free to hunt me down."
For a moment he fussed over the little guy, before returning him back to his pocket. That is, unless Firrerreo wanted a closer look or had any questions.

The dim curiosity lit right up as Arcturus Dinn Arcturus Dinn took out the small mouse. A familiar? He snapped the book in his hand shut, putting it in the satchel on his hip as he pulled out his own journal to idly start taking notes. The fascination was true and pure, but the moment the mouse was put away his expression turned back to the more reserved, if kind version he'd displayed earlier.

"He seems almost useless. Isn't that form too weak? Why no wings, or the like?"

"That's the point," he said, with a loose shrug, keeping one hand in the pocket with the mouse which he petted tenderly out of sight. His fellow Acolyte's fascination with the creature was sincere, so much so that as he continued to speak he brought Nostremous back out into view.
"He can get to places I can't, he can be my eyes, my ears, a vessel for my Force abilities. For the most part he's undetectable. It's why I chose him."
He knew that not everyone would understand it. Most familiars were birds, and with good reason. They were able to get around much more freely than most. But Arcturus hadn't wanted a bird, not yet at least. Perhaps one day he would... But he had seen potential in the Snowmouse that most would not.

"But couldn't you simply give him wings? He needn't keep his original form, and being able to scout from the air is far more useful than one might think." The fascination returned as he quite eagerly started to jot down more notes. Nostremous' size, apparent weight, the animal behind it. What Arcturus Dinn Arcturus Dinn was saying about it's abilities. It was far better to study a live specimen than the theories of the dead in a book.

"When you say a vessel, you mean being able to send your powers through it? Say, lightning?"

"I could," he agreed, with a loose shrug of his shoulders, "But then he would turn from mundane to fantastical, and fantastical catches the attention of far more than a mundane creature would. Animals such as this can be found in all sorts of places, but a snowmouse with wings?" He shook his head some, a light and unoffending chuckle escaping his lips.
The other question was far more fascinating though. He lifted the hand which held Nostremous up so that it was within his peripheral, and nodded excitedly.
"Oh yes, one of the great things about Familiars is their ability to act as a conduit for the Force for their Master." He glanced around the room for a moment, before lightly placing the mouse down and guiding him toward one of the bookcases. Then he removed a book from the shelves, sat it upright like a domino, and stepped back.
He closed his eyes, focused on the mouse and the Force, and sent forth a push. Only it did not come from Arcturus himself, but from the tiny mouse upon the ground. The book was knocked down, and soon after Nostremous skittered up his leg and back into his hand.
"Just like that."
Arcturus was beaming at this point.

"So it is the appearance of normalcy that has it limited so. Or, perhaps in that regard, it is superior." He was speaking to himself at this point, doubling back in his notes to change and alter what had already been written. His gaze only lifted as he felt something else happening. A light pressure in the Force. Amusement filled his gaze as he watched the push erupt from the mouse itself. Once again he hastily scribbled down his notes.

"Simple, but elegant. Or perhaps elegantly simple. Either way, it is wonderful. I will have to begin the creation of my own familiar soon. Knowing a more natural appearance would help for them to blend in is a handy piece of information. Let not the familiar be discovered, for it is both frail and weak."

"A warning, if I may, from one Alchemist to another... Familiars in general tend to be fairly frail. Try not to overload them when you utilize them as a conduit. They can take much, but abuse them too heavily through the Force and they are prone to burning up."
Another fuss was given to the dainty creature, before he smiled.
"You can see through them even if you are not in the same place, hear what they hear, if you tune into them. Very helpful, if you know when to use them. I wish you luck in your endeavors, I'm sure you'll make a fine familiar."
From the corner of his eye he spied a book that could bode well for his own research. So he snagged it from the shelf and placed it within his satchel for later.​

"Blood magic, mm?" Without even looking up the figure seemed to know just which book Arcturus Dinn Arcturus Dinn had snagged for later. A soft smile formed as he looked up. From above a cat would climb down, stepping onto the Acolytes shoulders before curling around the back of his neck. By the presence alone, obviously a familiar.

"My advice would be to give your own a more mutable form. With time and patience, you could make it so it could become any number of things. To fit the scenario you might need." The voice actually came from the cat itself. Bright orange eyes watched Arcturus intently. What at first seemed like a familiar wasn't. Something different, more. Whatever it was Firrerreo didn't seem to mind it's presence, as if he was used to the being.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom