Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well I declare...

Danger ain’t one to go chasing after contracts.

Folk who wanted to deal with her generally came a callin’ to her. However, seeing as her schedule had been rather hectic as of late, it was no wonder that the Lord Protector had not taken the time to call the Queen of Trade since their little interlude at the expo.

Now, seeing as things were a bit more calmer, Danger did what any good business woman would do in such situations.

Had her secretary send the good ol Lord Protector [member="Ayden Cater"] her schedule for him to contact her once and for all.

The men did the chasing down in the Southern Systems afterall.

Ayden was all at once bemused and slightly put off. He had given [member="Danger Arceneau"] his schedule because how little free time he had. He had given it to her so that she could find a time convenient for her and set up an appointment with him that way. Instead, she apparently saw fit to just send him her own schedule. There was a part of him that was tempted to throw the whole deal in a disposal. She apparently either thought that she was going to be in complete control over the negotiating process, or that she was just plain insulting him. Neither idea appealed to him greatly.

If it was hardball she wanted to play, hardball was what he would play. Instead of immediately contacting her, Ayden instead sent out an invitation to a couple of rivals of Arceneau Trade Company inviting them for a meeting. Of course, they weren't quite as big of a company as ACT. However, if they got a generous station deal to set up a number of large, sophisticated trade port stations, then that fact could change. He had no doubt that she'd probably find out about the talks, but he let them have their first day before he sent a missive back to her secretary to inform Danger that he would have a three day break during his talks that he could accommodate her. Of course, he had times ahead of those meetings too.

The way he saw it, there were three different scenario to play out. Either Danger would take her rosy time and accept a small time slot during those three days (possible), she would feign outrage and drop the whole deal (unlikely), or she would take an aggressive move and meet with him before the talks. The latter was the most likely option. If he offered her rivals the same generous station deal, it could challenge ACT's dominion over the southern half of the galaxy. He smirked as he sent the missive and leaned back in his chair. Her reaction would be an interesting one. If she thought he was going to walk up to her and eat out of her hand, she had another thing coming. One way or another, he would get his credits.

The man sure knew how to get her playing hardball. Here she was, being all considerate like for the la dee dah Lord Protector [member="Ayden Cater"] to call ‘pon her at his own convenience and he goes ‘round prospecting to the Womprats that hang ‘bout ATC’s skirts for any crumbs of profit they could lay claim to.

Sure did make her madder than a Dire cat trapped in a poacher's bag. Oh did it rile her up somethin’ good.

If’n he be trying to get on her bad side, he sure was startin’ at a right place. That be done twice the man hadn’t thought to contact her after she made sure to give him her direct line years back when she was dealin’ business with Merrill and Silk.

Guess he didn’t seem keen on contacting her then since she was only a name down south of the Mara, but now, oh no, now you don’t go trying to prospect to her competitors after striking up a deal to work on trade stations she was keen on getting.

That be two slights on her the man be grantin’ her, and if she had it her way, she’d make damn sure there ain’t gonna be a third.

Man was gonna get a piece of her mind.

There be a cold and icy hard day to cover the Twin Suns ‘fore she go chasing some man who was sniffin’ round some other e chuta’s skirts for his profit.

So, instead of seeing her good and proper face to face, the man was gonna get a rather riled up Danger via holocall.

And it's for damn sure a call he better be takin.

Ayden sat back in his chair, hat tilted forward on his head and a small grin etched on his face. She was calling. And he had a very distinct impression that it was not going to start off a friendly conversation. If that was her intent, she would have likely sent a missive, maybe even apologized. As it was, she was actually calling at a time he should have been in talks with a regional ambassador from Commenor. She was fortunate, perhaps, that those talks had concluded significantly earlier than he had originally estimated. Had she called when he had been in the middle of the talks, she would have been given a -very- short message and then hung up on.

Of course, she didn't have to know that he wasn't in the middle of the talks.

He cleared his throat some and leaned forward to inspect the call a bit more. It was confirmed coming from [member="Danger Arceneau"]. At least she had the courtesy to yell at him herself. After letting the call ring a few more times for emphasis, Ayden slammed a hand against the com. "I hope you realize you're interrupting my business as the Lord Protector, Miss Arceneau, so make this brief." He emphasized his title and position with marked weight, stressing the point he had made to her all those weeks ago that his duty as the Lord Protector superseded his duties as the head of Corellian Engineering.

Those emerald eyes went narrowing like a Nexu about to pounce on her prey, the spiral of smoke rising like a faint mist at her right side, her hand just by her head as her fingers played with the cigarillo in between her fingers.

If looks could maim, the one she gave to [member="Ayden Cater"] behind that mask of sweet sugary cordiality would be enough to tear flesh into bloody ribbons. The woman wasn’t happy, wasn’t happy t’all.

Well, I reckon that handlin’ business affairs left and right have kept you busier than a Dire-cat burying it’s chit on a marble floor, Lord Protector.” There was the drawl, a bit more pronounced than normal, and it was clear she wasn’t done just yet.

‘Course, when you’re as slick as snot on a glass door.. well.. I reckon that ain’t such a trying endeavor, now. ” her hand brought the narcotic up to her lips as she canted her head to the right a bit, cheeks sinking in deeply as she took a deliberate inhale. Ain’t mincing words just yet.

Now, then, Lord Protector see if you could just clear up some things for me, what with you being busier than a Nexu in heat with every Hutt up and down the Mara, how ‘bout you clarify some things for me ‘cause from where I’m hearing, you don’t know whether to chit or go blind so you winked your right eye and farted, talkin’ to my competition bout dem trade stations you promised me.

Ayden was now officially angry. If her look could tear flesh to ribbons, his was down-right murderous. Every word she spoke caused his demeanor to darken further until he was nearly shaking. That she would have the audacity... Ayden stared at her for a long minute, saying nothing. He did not blink, he did not move. His first act was to exhale sharply through his nose before standing up to his full height. All at once, it was impossible to read his face as he paced for a short moment. When he turned and faced her, his eyes could have cut through Corusca gems. Beneath the harshness of his anger was the bitter sting of betrayal.

"Until you see fit to come talk to me in person and explain yourself, I hereby, and with full authority as the Lord Protector of the Omega Protectorate as granted by the Charter of Protected Planets, place you [member="Danger Arceneau"] and Arceneau Trade Company on the Protectorate's Hostile Trade Entities for espionage, conspiracy to commit espionage, conspiracy to commit fraud, and conspiracy to commit unfair trade acts.. Until such a time as the A.T.C. is removed from this list, all ships traveling through patrolled Protectorate space will be required, on request and without advanced notice, to submit to an inspection for illicit goods. ACT offices within Protectorate space will be subject to, and without advanced notice, property searches for illegal files pertaining to Protectorate officials, classified information, or other sensitive and private data.

Further more, I will be putting for a measure to the other members of Corellian Engineering Corporation's Board of Directors to immediately block all trade and purchase agreements with Arceneau Trade Company for the act of spying on private business dealings with other trade entities, no doubt in an attempt to create an unfair market advantage for Arceneau Trade Company. Upon agreement, I will then file a report with all major trade entities within Protectorate space and beyond of your transgressions."

By the time he finished, his anger had evaporated into weariness and disappointment. "These accusations and measures will be submitted for review and consideration. If they are found to be true, then they will go into effect within ninety-six galactic standard hours. You have until then to plea your case. Should you wish to do so in person, you have my schedule." He let her absorb all of what he said before adding without any expression or emotion, "Is there any you'd like to say before I resume my business?"

There were few things that would tip Dangeruse Rose Arceneau's rage meter beyond compare. Mid-way through [member="Ayden Cater"] 's little speech, the reigning queen of Trade had gone well past Circe Savan when she done tried to steal her girls from her back on Kamino. By the time he finished with that manner that spoke of a lording over her and her company, he had officially taken her beyond the bitter betrayal of [member="Noxu Za'tire"] himself.

Now, most women would likely start flinging words and getting all kinds of loud to show their tangible rage, but not Danger. No. When you got her good and mad like she was right now, she didn't raise her voice.

tumblr_n419g9anMv1qfk4jio3_250.gif

No. She got quiet. Real quiet.

Those emerald eyes went narrowing upon the shimmering blue holographic image of the Lord Protector of the Omega Protectorate, and within them was a wrath unlike the Nine Hells has ever shown. Like an Ackley at a Geonosian gladiator pit being egged on by the flash of red sweet sweet rage brought, Danger was fit to be tied and seeing red.

Her jaw drew tight, taking a sharp inhale of breath that had that magnificent chest of hers rising and falling with the tangible tremor of her wrath. That glass of whiskey that lingered about her came into her hand, her fingers tightening into a white knuckle grip. If he wanted to play hardball, play this damnable game after he was the one who dared fethin betray her so, then she was more than willing to play it.

More than willing.

She didn't see the weariness nor the disappointment. No instead she saw what he'd done in seeming spite and betrayal. Fool me once, shame one you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

He'd done it once long ago when he clearly didn't see her to be important enough to consider dealing business with as an Exarch. Now that she made Arceneau Trade and the Southern Systems Business Bazaar into the major trading and business network in the known galaxy, he still didn't take her seriously.

And now he done gone threatening me and mine...

tumblr_n41l6qrKKv1qbjr46o2_250.gif
She took one long sip of her drink, then she finally spoke, her accent a deep deep drawl. There was no coyness in her voice, no sugary sweetness to deliver what she had to say. He dealt his cards and she was about to call his bluff. She didn't care. She had her pride and she would protect her own --- and sure to the Nine Corellian Hells and swear upon the Former Sith Empress head herself, she would give as good as she got.

"Go ahead,do what you will. Don't need CEC nor the routes through your territory to do what ah do, Lord Protector. Ah built my daddy's business up through hard work and that keen sense my momma done gave me -- Go ahead, lord your lofty speeches and Hostile Trade Entities list over me. Folk who deal with me know they deal good and proper and no one in the 'verse gonna treat 'em better than me."

You might think that you've got sway over ATC and me, she thought with low steady pointed emphasis, ain't like she wasn't able to hire on third party transport companies to do what she needed to do. She was no fool. But you don't. Never have and never will.

"Ah'll take your kind of courtesy and double it down it for you, save you them ninety-six hours. Ah'll acquiesce to your magnanimous request and ensure all business contracts with Arceneau Trade and the Southern Systems Bazaar null and void with CEC and the Protectorate.

So go back to your meetings, your drinking, and all the lovely little busy bee meetings of being a Lord Protector. Ah won't be wasting either of our time.

You've done spit on the wrong eye. Done me wrong -- and ah swear by the bleached bones in my daddy's grave, you will live to rue this day. "

With that, she gave a sharp jab of her finger against the holo emitter's display that would cut off the transmission. This conversation was over.

Ayden stood there, staring blankly at the empty holoscreen. "You couldn't even say sorry for interrupting the meeting..." He whispered with a dejected undertone. That entire, brief conversation and she never once made an apology, piss-poor or otherwise. She had never even considered the idea that she had been at fault. How had a few weeks changed her so much? She had been reasonable and cooperative, giving and taking then. Here... Here she had been all venom and refusing to give a centimeter.

For a long time, Ayden did not move. His head eventually found his hands, slumping forward, but otherwise remained stationary for what had to have been hours. She had gone and admitted to his charges, plead guilty to them on video. He wanted to doubt that, that she had just said things in anger without realizing what was being implied. He had no desire to destroy her company, or even attempt to do so. But if she gave him no other choice... It seemed incredibly unlikely that things would ever go back to the way they were before. That would require her to realize the magnitude of what had been said today, that she had been in any shape or form wrong. If her performance earlier was any indication, that was unlikely to occur spontaneously.

So long after Corell had gone down, Ayden wrote a simple message and sent it to her. It would be the ultimate deciding factor of what he did. If she could admit even partial fault for this bantha-mess then there was some recourse, some hope for the future. If she snubbed his last offer the way she had snubbed him before, then there would be only one thing left to do.

Is this what we've come to?

[member="Danger Arceneau"]

Long time had gone on by 'fore Danger's personal datapad lit up like a proverbial Life Day tree. She'd taken out of her office into the plateaus that over saw the sight of Mos Eisley, the heat of the Tatooine suns pouring on down and baking them all in their own sweat, like a prized Nuna up for carnival.

Ain't too bad, but she was well used to the heat. Well used to the fire.

Ire still ran rampant through her veins, pumping through the sour taste of betrayal an a mighty large keen to shoot the Lord Protector where it would hurt the most. Her frustration and healthy amount of vexation turned into the puling of the pins in her hair and letting it fall loose, the wild locks now rustling in the rare gusts of breeze that went through this particular hive of scum and villainy. Off went the saucy clothing and on the muslin blouse with the top two buttons undone and tan britches with boots.

Times like these is when she took blasters from her collection and went on a shoot. Needless to say, there were a lot of dead Womprats tonight.

He'd pissed her of good and proper. Ain't ever showed that side to a business partner for a long ... long while. Not since Za'tire made his bed by taking money from her daddy to fly the coup, leaving her behind to more woes, a galaxy's full of anger, and a keen sense of betrayal.

She done made him pay for that. Ain't no one like Danger who could hold a grudge like her. Woman was made of passions. They would burn hot and bright no matter the spectrum; be it in love, hate, or anger.

White knuckles took a firm grip round the stock of her blaster and another volley of bolts went flying, striking true as three Womprats went flopping over dead at 300 meters.

Oh it did wonders for cooling her off some, but it didn't take off that edge.

How dare he!? Came her rather miffed thought blasting through her mind, her lips pursing as her eyes went narrowing to block the bright light of the suns overhead.

Rationality in the form of her mama's voice would beg to suggest she didn't do so well in presenting herself, but lawdy did he ever managed to get her going good.

Corellian thorough and thorough. With the pride to boot.

Ass.

There came the incessant ring of her datapad again, prompting her to lower her arm and holster her blaster away, a glower coming over her lightly freckled face.

One hand would brush the chaotic strands of auburn hair away from her eyes while the other took up the rectangular pad, bringing it up to read the incoming message.

What she read was enough to prompt another straightening of her lips.

<< Is this what we've come to? >>

Ain't no one had to tell her who it was from. Didn't need no holonews tweet or holobook message on that one.

Ruffled feathers and all, her mama's voice in the back of her mind would tell her that the man at least sent word first. Which would, to a degree, hold bearing into that perhaps he'd seen the err of his ways.

A snort came from her then.

A Corellian? Seeing the err of his ways? Might as well see the Emperor himself turn Jedi.

Granted, there were few things in the galaxy that could end up surprising her more.

Another gust of went picked up sand and grit, tossing her hair wildly up in the air and prompting her to squint as she mulled over that line of words.

She was still right vexed over his seeming betrayal, that he done looked down at her a year ago and that he was doing it again. That he went on to threaten her and her company just topped the proverbial Sullustan cake.

Is this what we've come too... another snort. Like he wasn't at fault for what he done did. Ohhh if she only had him in front of her...

Her mama's voice again was in her ears. She could hear her now, saying that she ain't gonna have it. It don't matter how you feel, no... it only matters how you look. Her mama came from a generation where one gets a gripe and bites their lip just to save a little face. Reputation was all that one had round here. And her was spotless -- until now.

Hide your crazy and start acting like a lady.

She took a deep breath, chest rising to strain against the fabric. Out came a whosh of an exhale.

I raised you better, so you gotta keep it together even when you fall apart.

She let out a frustrated sigh. Finally, she typed in a reply. It would take a while for it to deliver, what with her being on Tatooine and all, but it would be clear.

<< You tell me, Lord Protector. Is it? >>

When he finally heard back, Ayden breathed a sigh of relief. Tempers had brought the pair of them to the brink of annihilation. He did not have the luxury of fighting a corporate war and several very real wars at the same time. It was far better to swallow his pride and keep things amicable than launch a war that would destabilize half the galaxy in its wake, and probably kick off a very real war in its wake. It did not take long for him to compose a second message for her. Expediency was his friend here.

<< I have three days free of any conflicting meetings. If it pleases you, I'd like to invite you to join me on Naboo for talks in person. All expenses paid for by Corellian Engineering. >>

Hopefully it would be a start. There was a part of him that knew that Danger would refuse to apologize or admit any wrong-doing. The best he felt he could hope for would be a mutual understanding that they had both been at fault and trade relations would resume. At worst, the deal would be off and they'd part amicably. Of course, that assumed she deigned to accept the invitation instead of snubbing him a second time. Trying to figure her out was like trying to hunt a Corellian sand panther.

[member="Ayden Cater"]

Ten minutes.

It took ten minutes and forty-five seconds before her datapad lit up with the incoming message.

She took a minute to register what he'd sent her. It was an olive branch for sure; and she found herself cooling off the longer she stood there staring at his offer.

To be frank, she wasn't blameless in the entire situation. Her momma done told her that there was a crazy side of her that should not be shown to the public.

Got too much of her daddy there in her blood that made it ran hot.

A deep sigh, and then she quickly sent a response. Time was, after all of the essence.

And she could do with letting go of her pride just a bit if he'd done so first.

<< Then I shall meet you there. >>

As soon as her reply came back, Ayden began issuing notices. Normally such meetings would be planned out weeks, months, in advanced. Now the people of Naboo would have less than a day to set-up and arrange space for the business meeting. Room and board would have to be settled. Transport to and from the starport would be necessary. A lot had to be set-up for the arrival of one of the galaxy's top company owners. But he was confident that they would make it right.

When she did eventually arrive, it would have been to the sight of an Aa'kua landspeeder, pristine and white, waiting to take her to Theed where accommodations had been made for her stay for three nights in the Old Royal District. It was a quiet corner of the city that had not seen damage in centuries and, truth be told, had not honestly held any royalty in more than two millenia. Still, it was a very well-of section of the city and it would suit the needs of their meeting well.

She would have arrived before he did unless she took nine hours to prepare herself, and even that would have only had it so that they arrived at roughly the same time. Ayden hoped that the time afforded would allow the two to get to understand each other a bit better. Their misunderstandings had nearly resulted in what would have been the worst economic fiasco in centuries. Clearly if they were going to do more business together then they needed to know each other a bit better, if only professionally.

[member="Ayden Cater"]

The time it would take for Danger to reach Naboo would be relatively shorter than it would be for Fondor. None the less, it would still take quite a bit of time. Several hours in fact.

At the very least, the Pathfinder vessel dubbed the Sarlacc would trim the time a bit. Those .5 hyperdrive engines certainly gave her that edge.

Meanwhile, Danger would have the time to muse and wonder just what this conversation would bring. What would she say. What would he say?

Business was a tricky business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom