Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech VT-FD Mask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
8UNnzw1.png
michael-fitzpatrick-tactical-helm-by-l04d3d.jpg
Image Source: Here
Intent: To create a device that will allow a NFU to track force users
Development Thread: Those That Are Hidden
Manufacturer: Vanir Technologies
Model: Vanir Technologies Force Detector Mask
Affiliation: Open-Market
Modularity: No
Production: Limited
Material: Fiberplast, Circuitry, Cloth

Strengths:
  • Force Detector: The FD Mask works on a simple principal, detection of force users. The technology is not exactly new, utilizing a slightly enhanced version of the Force Detectors used by the Old Empire. The Mask works by seeing 'waves' of the force. Put simply, the mask through its HUD create a steady baseline of everything 'normal' around it, once the detector within the mask detects something 'abnormal' the HUD highlights and locks onto it. The process is instant, and nearly any use of the force can set it off. If the force is continuously used the mask can 'track' the force user, once the subject stops using the force however the Mask cannot track them. Being a Mask it can of course only detect what is right in front of it, not a three hundred and sixty degree view.
Weaknesses:
  • Sometimes Inaccurate: The simple fact is that a device like this can't always be accurate. The Force is a msyterious, and unpredictable thing. While the mask works most of the times, it can easily be overwhelmed and sometimes fooled, though not on purpose. The device focuses on all aberrations of the force, all of them, not just trained Jedi and Sith. This means that if a man is throwing dice and unknowingly uses the force, the detector will find it, even in the middle of a fight. Similarly the detector works on all aberrations around it. This means utilizing the mask in a crowded place with multiple force users all utilizing the force will quickly lead to the mask simply overloading, unable to keep up. Similarly, if a particularly powerful Sith or Jedi uses a force technique that "blankets" the area with the force, the mask won't actually be able to track the user.
Description:
Force Users, have, and always will be a large mystery to Non-Force Users.

Those in the galaxy who were not blessed with control of the Force often find themselves at a disadvantage when facing Jedi, Sith, or even the untrained. The simple fact that some people are able to control an invisible energy that comes from god knows where puts most of the galaxy at a disadvantage. Though Vanir has been working for years to counter this disadvantage, their latest effort is perhaps the greatest strike in all of this.

Though Force Detectors are never one hundred percent accurate, nor are they really economical, it was only an eventuality until more were built.

The Force Detector Mask fills a simple niche that has been required within the galaxy for years.

The mask of course doesn't automatically 'counter' a force user, nor does it really provide and advantage unless one is trained in it's use. The device is more used as an early warning system. Allowing a combatant or Guard to spot force users before they are able to cause any real damage. The mask detecting 'aberrations' within the force and allowing the user to at least ready themselves. Along with this it also allows one to properly track force users who would ordinarily be able to blend an escape.

Of course, this technology is flawed, just like past force detectors.

Despite this flaw however, the device is able to be used by most people, and though it is not one hundred percent perfect, it at least affords another small gain back towards the weak innocents of the galaxy who have been too long oppressed by the wills of Jedi and Sith.
Primary Source: Me, I'm great.

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
[member="Taryc Ap'Irae"]

I dunno.

I thought pretty long about which excuse I would use to answer this question and came up with about half a dozen options including basing them off of some sort of Yuuzhan Vong Technology, making them a more advanced version of the Force Detector, even saying that they use glands from a Vornskr or something of the sort.

In the end I decided the devil was in the details and that I would keep it vague but balanced.

Is this satisfactory or would you prefer I BS something up?

[member="Alric Kuhn"]

I see two possibilities going forward.

No Development:
1) Reduce it to semi-unique
2) Limit functionality to a line of sight cone in a similar manner to a force detector (detects force sensitivity)

With 10-15 quality development posts:
1) Keep Limited
2) Detects in a line of sight cone
3) Can detect force sensitivity, and brightens with active force use like a thermal signature
4) Maintain the overwhelming "white-out" effect of too powerful/too many force powers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom