Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VT-Disruptor Knife

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
8UNnzw1.png

VBvkLQQ.jpg
Image Source: Dust
Intent: To create a weapon to counter all of these silly unbeatable armors.
Development Thread: If Necessary
Manufacturer: Vanir Technologies
Model: VT-Disruptor Knife
Affiliation: Closed-Market
Modularity: No
Production: Limited
Material: Terenthium & Desh Alloy, Diathium Powercell, Aurodium, Duraplas
Classification: Knife
Size: One-Handed
Length: 34.3cm
Weight: .39kg
Special Features:
  • Disruptor Field
  • Flashlight Hilt
  • Duraplas Hilt
Strengths:
  • Disruptor Field: The Disruptor Knife, as it's name would imply, as one great advantage. Surrounding the base blade of Terentium and Desh Alloy is a small film of aurodium. This aurodium is hooked into a small generator contained within the hilt of the knife itself. This means when activated, the aurodium is capable of projecting a miniscule layer of the same type of energy that is normally found within the shot of a disruptor weapon. This field is then encaptured within a magnetic barrier, keeping it 'around' the blade of the knife. What effect does this have? The same effect as any disruptor weapon, specifically one like the VT-Needle Disruptor. When the field is active the Disruptor Knife is capable of cutting through pretty much any material, slicing easily through metal, rock, and of course flesh.
  • Knife: When the Disruptor field is not active, the blade is still that, a blade. It is not the sharpest, and it is not the most durable, but it's still quite a good knife. Capable of cutting things and slicing some other things.
Weaknesses:
  • Interference: The Disruptor knife is of course, not perfect. The Energy field that is projected around the blade itself is volatile, so volatile in fact that when it comes into contact with certain other energy fields it tends to fail. This failure is a backlash of the containment field into the hilt, causing a short within the powercell and then a subsequent violent, and quite powerful explosion of the Diathium powercell. This explosion is enough to tear the users arm off, or kill them entirely if they're not wearing any sort of armor. Most noticeably this effect occurs when the field of the Disruptor Knife meets the containment field of a lightsaber. In all such tests, the Disruptor knife came to a violent end. Of course, one could simply turn the Disruptor field off but then the Lightsaber would slice through the knife's regular edge, which would of course permanently disable the disruptor field due to the lack of a stable platform.
  • Blade Eater: Due to it's nature as a Disruptor weapon, the VT-DF is quite simply put, destructive at a base level. This means that even to itself, the Disruptor knife is harmful. The mixture of Terenthium, Desh, and Aurodium allows the blade of the knife to survive for quite some time, but eventually the disruptor field will simply 'eat' through the blade itself. This means that constant use of the Knife's disruptor field will eventually render the knife completely useless until it's blade is replaced. This can be mitigated by effective control of the Disruptor field, but even then after an hour total of use, the blade must be replaced.
  • Power Cycle: The blade's power supply is only capable of rendering the blade active for one solid minute. After this minute passes the blade requires a recharge time of ten minutes. A good combatant however can stretch this time, turning the blade on and off frequently so that the Disruptor field is only active when it actually slices. This makes the blade last longer in combat and also adds a learning edge to using the Disruptor Knife.
Description:
The VT-Disruptor Knife came about as a way for soldiers, specifically Saeva Incorporated Mercenaries, to fight heavily armored opponents that are now so prevalent on the battlefield.

As armor technology continues to develop and expand, it has become incredibly clear that most weapons are simply not keeping up. Though high powered rifles and heavy blaster cannons are still capable of penetrating most armor, there are some manufacturers in the galaxy who have begun to production of Powered Armors as well as Phrik monstrosities that even some turbolasers struggle to penetrate. This has of course been a subject of contention for Vanir Technologies before, and with the production of the VT-Needle Disruptor the problem was somewhat solved. However, the question eventually came up of what would happen when one of these massive tank like armors came in close.

The solution, albeit a somewhat audacious one, was the production of a weapon that would allow a soldier to fight back even while getting their windpiped crushed by a guy in power armor.

The development of Disruptor Weapons for Vanir Technologies has always been an interesting step, with the VT-Needle being first, the Missile Second, and now the VT-Disruptor knife being third.

In truth, the Disruptor Knife is hardly a weapon of mass destruction nor a weapon designed to be the perfect solution. In reality the Disruptor Knife takes many of it's design aspects from the famed Lightsaber, using a near replica of the plasma blades containment field as well as the same powercell. Where they diverge is the use of a 'stabilizing agent', which in the Disruptor Knife's case is it's Terenthium and Desh, Aurodium alloy blade. This blade allows the projector in the hilt to 'filter' over it, stabilizing the normally chaotic particles of the disruptor weapon. This stabilizing agent is of course used up and suffers deterioration, but lasts long enough that the blade is still useful.

There are of course risks in the use of the Disruptor Knife, as with most other weapons.

The greatest of these risks is the use of the blade against Lightsabers. The weapon reacts violently when met with a lightsaber blade, the two energy fields meeting causing a massive surge of energy which the Diathium powercell simply cannot handle. Even the most heavily armored user of the blade will suffer the loss of their hand, if not their entire arm if this were to occur. At times the explosion has been so violent that it caused the end of a test subjects life(RIP George).

Despite this, the Disruptor Knife is an incredibly useful tool, allowing even the most common of soldiers to fight back against the heavily armored Titan's of today's battlefield.

Primary Source:[SIZE=12.2222px] [/SIZE][SIZE=12.2222px]N/A[/SIZE]

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Alric Kuhn said:
Intent: To create a weapon to counter all of these silly unbeatable armors.

Alric Kuhn said:
When the field is active the Disruptor Knife is capable of cutting through pretty much any material, slicing easily through metal, rock, and of course flesh.
Given these lines, how do you see these interacting with materials like beskar or phrik? Does thickness of material play any part in this performance?

Alric Kuhn said:
This means when activated, the aurodium is capable of projecting a miniscule layer of the same type of energy that is normally found within the shot of a disruptor weapon.

Energy blade weapons (aside from lightsabers) seem to be well-established in canon existence, but it's not something that I've seen a whole lot about in actual detail. I will need to do more research on this before I make much more commentary on this however.

Alric Kuhn said:
The Energy field that is projected around the blade itself is volatile, so volatile in fact that when it comes into contact with certain other energy fields it tends to fail.
How would this field react with personal shielding?

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
[member="Gir Quee"]

Disruptors work by "disrupting" the bond between atoms, or that's what we're told. As such it would be capable of going through both beskar and phrik, and it would only be limited by the length of the knife. That's how I've RP'd it and this can be found in my description of previous Disruptor Subs.

It would depend on the shield. If it works on the same principle as a lightsaber containment field...not well. Some weird Yuuzhan Vong Energy field? You're probably fine. It's variable.

I did a little looking around last night for similar weapons. Some other examples of energy blades that use a metal edge include some varieties of techblades and Velmorian energy swords. Another weapon that probably warrants mention is the fire blade.

I think the base concept for this weapon is solid, but it's worth noting that all of those weapons are noted as being inferior to lightsabers in terms of power.

Alric Kuhn said:
Disruptors work by "disrupting" the bond between atoms, or that's what we're told. As such it would be capable of going through both beskar and phrik, and it would only be limited by the length of the knife. That's how I've RP'd it and this can be found in my description of previous Disruptor Subs.

There are only two weapons (both lightsabers) to my knowledge in Star Wars Chaos that have had the ability to cut through Beskar. Both were unique and were backed with a hefty amount of development; both had over100 posts if I recall correctly. I think this has the room for limited production, but I would not feel comfortable approving this without at least 40-50 posts of development. I think that's fair, considering that most armors made of these special materials also require development as well.

Alric Kuhn said:
Blade Eater: Due to it's nature as a Disruptor weapon, the VT-DF is quite simply put, destructive at a base level. This means that even to itself, the Disruptor knife is harmful. The mixture of Terenthium, Desh, and Aurodium allows the blade of the knife to survive for quite some time, but eventually the disruptor field will simply 'eat' through the blade itself. This means that constant use of the Knife's disruptor field will eventually render the knife completely useless until it's blade is replaced. This can be mitigated by effective control of the Disruptor field, but even then after an hour total of use, the blade must be replaced.
Disruptors are known for eating through powerpacks as well. Perhaps the closest canon example that I know of to this knife, the DXR-2 can only fire 5 shots before it needs to get reloading. I think that a similarly sized device working on a similar principle would probably have a similar problem. That being said, the DXR-2 also projects its power a short distance (5-7 meters), and it's pretty indiscriminate about what it disintegrates compared to this knife, so I think this knife would probably have more charges to it than that pistol.

I would like to see something to the effect that this knife needs a fresh power source (or needs to be reloaded) every 15 uses (or attacks).

Thoughts?

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
[member="Gir Quee"]

To your first point. That dev amount is about what I expected and will be fine with me.

As to your second point. Thats why I included the blade thing and having to reload after significant continuous use. Basically the longer you use the blade the faster you would need to "reload" it. Make sense?

Alric Kuhn said:
As to your second point. Thats why I included the blade thing and having to reload after significant continuous use. Basically the longer you use the blade the faster you would need to "reload" it. Make sense?
Both previous sabers (for ease of reference, here and here) that are able to cut through things like Beskar are known for their huge power draw when doing so.

Jaxton's has a significantly large external powerpack that isn't necessarily capable of cutting these things for an hour:

When it does cut through a traditionally lightsaber-resistant material the power-drain is immense, but with the external powercell weighing more than a normal entire lightsaber does Jaxton’s retrosaber retains enough power that he won’t need to change it in the middle of battle unless he’s cut through multiple beskar’gam or even more of lesser lightsaber resistant materials.
Ryan Korr's Sentinel has this phrase in the submission:
but if the saber clove through a suit or two of full beskar'gam then the power cells would be almost entirely drained and render the lightsaber as useless in battle as a training saber
Coupled with disruptor technology's traditionally heavy use of power makes me think that this disruptor knife would have the same power draw issue. I'm open to ideas on how you would like to address that concern if you are not a fan of changing out the power pack supply.

That being said, I think that a full hour of continuous use against such restricted materials is more than what either of those subs received with more development and an even more limited production run. I can't see myself approving something like this that doesn't have a comparable drawback, especially with a larger production run.

Moreover, I'm not terribly thrilled t

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
[member="Gir Quee"]

I think thr last bit got cut off there.

How about power recylcing? The powercell only works for 2 or so minutes then has to recycle for 5-10. That on top of the degrading blade would work, no?

[member="Alric Kuhn"], I can see a power recycling system working. There is a Clone Wars era blaster pistol that has a self-charging powerpack, which I think lends credence to this idea.

I could see a 1 minute of hard use followed by a 10 minute recharge time. While a minute might not seem like much at a quick glance, I think that's a lot of time in terms of combat.

[member="Alric Kuhn"]
I am going to archive this for inactivity. Please PM me if you would like to pull this out of the archives and continue, alternatively you may notify any other Administrators or RPJs to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom