Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech VT-Disruption Cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
8UNnzw1.png
XhMGbUG.png
Image Source: Here
Intent: Create a Disruptor that is not for Killing
Development Thread: Karking Cold
Manufacturer: Vanir Technologies
Model: Vanir Technologies Disruption Cutter
Affiliation: Open-Market
Modularity: No
Production: Limited
Material: Dallorian Alloy, Fiberplast, Powercell
Strengths:
  • Enhanced Cut: The Vanir Technologies Disruption cutter is based off of the same technology that went into the creation of half a dozen other Disruptor technologies developed by Vanir. The great exception is that the DC was created not as a weapon of war and killing, but instead as an industrial tool. The function of the device is a simple one, it 'projects' a narrow disruptor field several inches in front of it. This field is then used to cut whatever material it is in front of the device. The actual 'cut' can take longer or shorter depending on what is being sliced as well as it's varying dimensions. Due to the nature of the device the VT-DC can only last for ten seconds before it requires a five second cool down, this is a safety feature of the device itself so it does not overheat or dispel too much energy from the powercell. At times the VT-DC can take longer to cut materials than a plasma cutter, but it is well worth it in the end.

Weaknesses:
  • Fragile: The DC is incredibly fragile. It was not meant for fighting, and this reflects it's construction. Though it can be dropped a few times, even smacked around once or twice, the tools can absolutely not handle being shot, stabbed, or going through an explosion. Relative to the weapons Vanir has designed, the DC is an incredibly easy to break tool and should be handled with care.
  • Not A Weapon: Put simply the DC is simply not a weapon. In order for the Disruptor field to actually activate the tool first needs to 'charge' for two to three seconds, depressing the trigger and holding it for that long. Furthermore in order for the tool to activate it's front panels need to be depressed, meaning it won't actually work unless it is pushed up against an object. This function is critical to the device, and the field won't activate without it.

Description:
Vanir Technologies has long since prided itself on the creation of various Disruptor Technologies.

Usually these technologies have applied only to the creation of weapons, starting with the VT-Needle Disruptor, moving to the SDC-13, hopping to the VT-RAM Disruptor, and skipping along various other designs that the company produces. These creations, though extremely useful and great sellers to many military's across the galaxy have given Disruptor Technology and invariable bad name.

This is of course not without cause.

As weapons Disruptors are incredibly horrific weapons, quite literally tearing apart it's victims molecule by molecule and disseminating whatever it hits. This is simply a fact of what the technology does, and these weapons have been outlawed on many worlds for that practical reason. Of course, the scientists of Vanir Technologies quickly realized that the same properties that make Disruptor technology so horrifying could also make it incredibly useful.

The result of this was the Vanir Technologies Disruption Cutter.

The design is relatively simplistic, based off a simply Plasma Cutter and based around the same function.

The only difference between the two is that the VT-DC does not utilize flames or intense heat, instead relying entirely upon a disruption field projected by it's front emitters. This is of course extremely useful. Not only can the VT-DC 'cut' through more than things than a simple Plasma cutter, it can usually do it faster and without significant harmful chemicals or flames. Unlike with a Plasma Cutter one needs no protective gear with the VT-DC, you don't need to worry about starting fires, and you certainly don't have to worry about explosions from gaseous fumes catching fire.

All in all, the VT-DC is meant to be the next step in Industrial cutting technology.

If used in PVP there should be a wide latitude in damage decided by the victim. This is not a weapon meant for fighting, and thus damage sustained to the device, positioning of the weapon, etc would all effect and mitigate what the disruptor field is capable of doing to an opponent.

Primary Source: Me, I'm great.

[member="Alric Kuhn"]

Thank you for choosing the factory! We have a few things we need to address here.

Alric Kuhn said:
Cut Anything: The Vanir Technologies Disruption cutter is based off of the same technology that went into the creation of half a dozen other Disruptor technologies developed by Vanir. The great exception is that the DC was created not as a weapon of war and killing, but instead as an industrial tool. The function of the device is a simple one, it 'projects' a disruptor field several inches in front of it. This field is then used to cut...pretty much any material in the galaxy, functioning just like any other disruptor would. The difference is that the field is capable of lasting up to ten seconds, allowing for a continuous 'cut' in the material.
First and foremost, this can't be allowed to cut through Restricted Materials without Development.

Secondly, this can not cut through Everything. You need some form of Defined Limits, and explained duration for harder items.

Without Development
This is not a well-balanced submission. Requires Explained Duration through all Non-Restricted Materials. This can't act like a lightsaber through paper.
This is not going to be able to cut through Restricted Materials without any development.

With Development
Requires Explained Duration through all Restricted Materials. The amount of Restricted Metals that can be cut through needs to be limited. So possibly as a strength, up to two (2) Restricted Materials to be cut, and their duration.

For Clarification; Duration means how long it takes to cut through.

Please call me when you've addressed these!

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
[member="Vixley CM-01"]

I need your phone number in order to call you, which I don't have so I thought I would tag you instead, I hope that's okay.

First off; I'm perfectly fine with doing any amount of development so just let me know a post-count that you'd like to see.

Second; Limiting the technology to only cut through certain things doesn't really make sense nor does it make sense to really equate this to a lightsaber or really any sort of weapon as I will explain below.

Limiting: To put it simply, this technology quite literally already exists. I've submitted...5 separate Disruptors now all of whom were approved and all of whom do the exact same thing as this weapon but on a less limited scale. Now to this you'll say "Well we don't take past submissions as precedent". Well, fair enough, but Disruptors already exist in Canon technology, and in fact those Disruptors are actually far more dangerous and damaging than the tool I've created here. This disruptor, unlike the ones in canon, do not rip apart whatever they strike in an instant atom by atom. Instead this tool focuses that effect in a narrow field just a few inches in front of it. So really what I've done is take a canon technology and make it more balanced. As for time delays? I'd be happy to add those with certain compounds that are in theory more "dense" since it would take longer for the disruptor to destabilize those, but saying it can go through Phrik while being unable to cut Neuranium doesn't really make any logical sense because of how the technology actually works.

Weapon Comparison: This tool isn't a lightsaber, it isn't meant to be used like one. I believe, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, the chief concern with Balance is because of PVP possibilities. Arguably you could say there are other worries, like someone using this to break into a fortress in an objective or maybe someone cutting into a reactor to place a bomb, but I don't really see that as being a primary concern mostly because in those instances this would just be another tool in a bunch that you could already use. So in my opinion the concern comes down to PVP. This device can't be used in PVP, at least not effectively. As it states in the sub in order for this device to function it needs to be pressed flush against what it will be used on for 3 full seconds, that might not seem long but I can attest that in a fight it's more than enough to do a dozen things, step back, swat the weapon away, hit it with a heavy gauntlet(which would break it as per the sub) or even press the off switch. If someone does get hit by this in PVP I would absolutely argue that they would've gotten hit no matter what because they wanted to get hit. A dozen other weapons could have been substituted for this tool. So on that account, I believe this is already balanced since in my opinion PVP is the chief concern. I highly doubt anyone actually cares if some Courier uses this to cut through a Phrik safe he found and a minute later uses it to slice up some Ultrachrome. Again you can correct me on this.

So to sum up simply; while I understand your points, I don't quite agree with them.

As I said I'm happy to do any amount of dev and also add a time delay on cutting certain materials(I'll make a list), but dumbing down the technology to an illogical state just won't do it for me.

[member="Alric Kuhn"]

Your tone suggests to a reader that you are being argumentative. Whether or not this is the case, please consider how your tone and your methods of discussing a solution with the Factory Judges may be construed lest it be perceived as you are arguing with a judge.

As stated before, past precedents will not longer be held as a source for what may be approved through factory. The items that are relevant are balance of strengths, weaknesses, and fair play in a Star Wars setting. You may utilize previous submissions as a reference, but they do not guarantee any new submission from being approved moving forward.

As it is, these are your options to move forward to get this approved based on the canon technology and balancing it down.

Key items of Reference are the following:

1. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Cutting_tools
  2. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Plasma_disruptor
  3. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Disruptor_weaponry
  4. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Phoenix_II
A plasma disruptor was a type of electrical weapon that utilized plasma to disrupt or overload the circuitry of a machine or droid. Depending on how this is used, a plasma disruptor can be either a tool using for breaching doors or disabling security devices or an effective weapon used against both droids and organics alike.

The "Phoenix II" was a plasma disruptor manufactured by Drever Corporation as a tool used by custom agents and special forces commandos to breach locked doors, such as airlocks and possibly even blast doors. While the equipment itself did well to serve its purpose, many soldiers wielded it against battle droids that they encountered after discovering its usefulness as an electrical weapon.

Without Development:
  • You may utilize the canon definition of the cutting tool known as the Plasma Disruptor as your basis but with a bit more power in the deatomizing. IE, this can cut faster than a standard Plasma Disruptor.
  • Remove any indication, verbaige, or language that suggests this "cuts everything" and supplement it with the typical draw backs of a plasma cutter

From Wookieepedia: Disruptor

On a basic level, a disruptor worked by using large quantities of blaster gas, such as Tibanna gas, many times more than a standard blaster. The energy beam fired by a disruptor was generated in almost the same manner as the particle beam fired by a blaster, though the beam used much more blaster gas. A disruptor's internal components were quite different than that of a blaster's, though. The blaster gas used to generate the beam underwent a considerably different transformation that formed the disruptor beam. The resultant blast was short-ranged, unstable, less cohesive, and extraordinarily powerful.

The resultant blast was short-ranged, unstable, less cohesive, and extraordinarily powerful. Disruptor beams [sic] created an energy wave consisting of disruptive, nonharmonic energy pulses that excited a target's molecules to the point that it destroyed the bonds that held their constituent atoms together, painfully. In simpler terms, disruptor weapons used extremely high amounts of unstable blaster energy, enough to obliterate matter on a higher scale than normal blasters.

A disruptor was capable of disintegrating a humanoid target, turning it to a pile of ash, and was quite effective against other solid targets, even capable of damaging starship hulls, though the massive amount of blaster gas used by disruptors made them inefficient and impractical for starship use.

However, some disruptor pistols were capable of being set to overload, a setting which greatly increased the pistol's power for a single shot. Unfortunately this usually resulted in the firearm being rendered useless, due to the weapon's internals suffering damage from focusing even more energy into what was already an unstable form of tibanna gas particles.

You can see why there is the cause of concern for distruptor technology. As such, with development.

With Development
  • Drop this down to Limited (Only A Select Group Of NPCs/PCs),
  • A 10 to 15 quality post dev thread as your are attempting to switch disruptor technology into a refined and less dangerous version. Disruptor technology is still in essence, using large quantities of blaster gas that is short-ranged, unstable, less cohesive, and extraordinarily powerful. I need this submission to relay it as such. I'd recommend perhaps saying it does so in short, quick successive pulses on a timer with a mandatory cool down time.
  • Remove any indication, verbaige, or language that suggests this "cuts everything" and supplement it with a toned down advanced cutting ability of a disruptor, but with the cavat that it takes more time. If you are going to say that this is safer than a regular disruptor, then the power, the efficiency, and effectiveness will have to coincide with that.
  • No item can be turned into ash.
  • If utilized as a weapon of opportunity, any damage is restricted to the judgement of the target's RP'er, allowing a wide latitude in determining the result and damage of a hit.

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
[member="Cira"]

• Okay.
  • Sure I can do that Dev thread will be finished tonight. There is already a timer, the device can only 'cut' for 10 seconds(already stated in the sub). It's also important to note that while the Factory does not take into account previous submissions Vanir Technologies has refined Disruptor technology to be more focused, starting with the VT-Needle Disruptor Submission. I believe this already covers and fixes some of the aspects that you take issue with.
  • I have edited the language.
  • This was never the intent and thus will not happen.
  • This was already stated but will edit into the submission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom