Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Vigilance-class Space Mine

Status
Not open for further replies.
VIGILANCE-CLASS SPACE MINE
deep-space-industries-asteroid-mining-537x410.jpg
Image Source: Here
Intent: A space mine for Early Detection and System Monitoring

PRODUCTION INFORMATION
Development Thread:

• As Needed
Manufacturer: ArmaTech Industries
Model: Mk1
Affiliation: Restricted Market
Modularity: No

Production: Mass
Material: Duraplast, Durasteel, Electronics

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Classification: Space Mine
Size: Medium

Armament: None

NON-COMBAT SYSTEMS
Sensor Systems
Propulsion
  • Maneuvering Jets
Miscellaneous
DESCRIPTION
The Vigilance-class Space Mine is the first in a series of space mines, this class designed for detection rather than destruction. The Vigiliance-class benefits from a number of technological advancements from the Second Galactic Civil War, first among them being their networked self-dispersing qualities. A set of mines is able to disperse themselves to the appropriate distance apart to maximize their efficiency, allowing them to move into place on their own making mine-laying very simple. The number of mines, the size of the area they are intended to be placed in are all that is needed for the network to disperse them evenly over an area. The Vigiliance-class is also networked, controlled by a secure network key to each set of mines, that allows them to be remote deactivated and return for pick up to be moved to a new location.

It takes several thousand to fully monitor a single star system, and regular maintenance and replacement is most likely required in systems. There are so many of them, and so many anomalies that can disable them in space that it is likely there will be several that need fixing, repair, or replacement every couple of weeks.

These mines, rather than detonate or firing upon enemy ships, is simply used to monitor a system for incoming ships. They are needed to sit without obscuring celestial bodies, planetoids, or nebulae in order to properly work. Using Gemcutters a series of the mines are able to detect incoming ships, and triangulate their trajectory into the system. Hyperwave Signal Interceptors, Tachyon Detectors, and Hyperspace Transceivers to detect disturbances in cross-channeled radiation in Hyperspace, and are used to detect roughly how many and how big ships are entering a system. Once vessels arrive in system the mines use an advanced sensor suite to quickly scan the vessels for identification and assess the classification of the ships, as the Hyperspace Monitors are only able to determine the rough size of the vessel, such as Light Star Destroyer, Frigate, Battle Cruiser, while the Full Spectrum Sensor Suite is able to determine the length, width, mass, signature, and energy output of a ship to determine its type or model in some occasions, though specific ships is beyond their capabilities.

The mines are limited by range, normally only offering a few extra seconds of warning to ships inside a system. In addition exceptionally slow hyperdrives can be missed when used on smaller vessels such as corvettes and sub capital ships and used in small numbers. Even using these a fleet is likely to be detected. Exceptionally fast hyperdrives can reduce the early warning by whole seconds causing ships to be caught far less prepared. Ships cruising in to a system from outside the mine's sensor zone on sublight drives need only to overcome the mine's starfigther grade sensors to slip through undetected. They transmit the information they detect openly, and unencrypted, so enemy ships in system are able to gain access to this information. Finally, the mines are always transmitting, and thus, very easy to detect, making them easy targets for an invasion force.

Exceptionally Slow rated as Class 10 or more
Exceptionally Fast rated as Class 0.9 or less

REFERENCE

Darth Vulkan said:
Hyperspace Monitors
There is no such device in canon, as far as I can find via google or wookieepedia search. If you have an article that you intend to use as the basis for this, please link to it.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Hyperspace_Security_Net

It was able to do this by using a system of non-mass hyperwave transceivers, originally developed for the HoloNet to pass communications in specific frequencies, linked by a network of coordinated S-threads. The transceivers projected cross-channeled radiation, which registered a hyperspace disturbance whenever a ship passed through it. The transceivers were able to detect these disturbances at cosmically short distances
I made some minor edits to clarify.

[member="Braith Achlys"]

[member="Braith Achlys"]

They weren't intended to, as that would make them very very hard to destroy and remove the need for regular maintenance and a lot of the realspace phenomena that they are at risk of. These are down graded from the Hyperspace Net to make them easier to place in a system.

Darth Vulkan said:
[member="Braith Achlys"]

They weren't intended to, as that would make them very very hard to destroy and remove the need for regular maintenance and a lot of the realspace phenomena that they are at risk of. These are down graded from the Hyperspace Net to make them easier to place in a system.
The only way to monitor hyperspace in the method displayed by the Imperial Hyperspace Security Net is to have the satellites placed in hyperspace to cross-radiate hyperspace routes and utilize sensors to locate disturbances in these routes. Without doing such, I cannot approve of something which replicates its abilities. Utilizing the gem-cutter's technology in this instance is fine, as it isn't something which literally monitors the innerworkings of hyperspace routes, but to actually peer into hyperspace to detect incoming vessels (as the IHSN did) you will need to literally place these devices in hyperspace. As such, remove any portion of the description which pertain to the abilities of the Imperial Hyperspace Security Net. Such as:

Darth Vulkan said:
Hyperspace Transceivers to detect disturbances in cross-channeled radiation in Hyperspace, and are used to detect roughly how many and how big ships are entering a system.
If you would like to pursue these abilities, you will need to specify that these are placed in hyperspace, tethered in static locations, and include at least 50 posts of development towards the research and development of this technology. This was the pinnacle of Imperial technology at the time, not simple monitoring.

[member="Braith Achlys"]

That was the reason I downgraded the heck out of it, so that it wouldn't be the pinnacle.

I'm gonna grab my second chance for this.

Darth Vulkan said:
[member="Braith Achlys"]

That was the reason I downgraded the heck out of it, so that it wouldn't be the pinnacle.

I'm gonna grab my second chance for this.
You may request your second chance in the second chance thread in the Factory Information subforum.

This is marked as denied and archived until then.

Moved to Archives - PM [member="Spencer Jacobs"] for removal / if denied for Second Chance please post and tag Spencer Jacobs for review.

Thank you!

[member="Darth Vulkan"]

So if someone dropped a vessel with cloaking technology you'd get a bit of extra warning ahead of the usual burst of cronau radiation you'd detect (a few seconds)?

If someone dropped a stealth ship at a significant distance from the system it could still cruise in undetected slowly?

Raziel said:
So if someone dropped a vessel with cloaking technology you'd get a bit of extra warning ahead of the usual burst of cronau radiation you'd detect (a few seconds)?
If they dropped it within the system yes. Shorter if they were going really fast. Longer if they were going slow. If they go super slow (Class 10 or slower in a Corvette or two) they wouldn't get picked up at all.

Raziel said:
If someone dropped a stealth ship at a significant distance from the system it could still cruise in undetected slowly?
So long as they covered their bases they'd be fine. If they are using standard drives or broadcasting signals left and right they'd be in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom