Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Veldorians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason H. Wayne

J
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To expand the number of Species that inhabit Setus Prime.
  • Image Credit:
  • Canon: N/A
  • Links: N/A
GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Name: Veldorians
  • Designation: Sentient
  • Homeworld: Setus Prime
  • Language: Telepathy
  • Average Lifespan: 950 years
  • Estimated Population: Planetary (A Large Concentration on a single world or system, rarely found off-world)
  • Description: A race that happens to be made out of living energy. The Veldorians as a result of being made out of living energy can 'shapeshift' to assume the forms of other species, even if they wouldn't have matching DNA. The Veldorians typically prefer looks that are unique because of their ability to shapeshift.
PHYSICAL INFORMATION
  • Breathes: While they don't need to breathe, they can breathe in all environments due to being energy beings who can shapeshift.
  • Average height of adults: The average height of the females is about 1.6 m and the average height of the males is about 1.8 m.
  • Average length of adults: N/A
  • Skin color: Their skin appears to be a transparent hue of green, red, blue, orange, yellow, silver, gray or many other colors. Their skin is only one solid color, although it appears transparent when they are in their true form. When they appear to be human, their skin colors are that of a regular human.
  • Hair color: Their hair color matches their skin color perfectly. When they 'solidify' they appear to be more human-like, and have regular hair colors that a human would.
  • Distinctions: One of the key differences is that the Veldorians appear to be a solid color, but transparent most of the time. This is because they are made out of energy. When they are near the point of dying due to old age, their color will have darkened to the point of being pitch black, but still transparent.
  • Races: N/A
  • Strengths:
- Energy Absorption: The Veldorians possess the ability to absorb energy from machinery they come across and need to do so in order to survive. This includes energy from blaster bolts, lightsabers, radiation and regular electricity as well as plasma and other types of energy attacks directed at them. This is a gradual process and as such is preferred not to be done in combat situations.

- Energy Projection: The Veldorians can project the energy they have absorbed into a variety of psionic constructs made out of the energy they have absorbed. These constructs can clash with lightsabers, or similar weapons but lack cutting power. Furthermore, they are also capable of using tractor beams/repulsion beam, as well as turning themselves into energy to travel through machinery.

- Machinery Possession: The Veldorians can 'possess' machinery, allowing them to override control of the machine and turn it on their enemies. Depending on the technology, it could take anywhere from a minute to a day or a week or a month or years for a single Veldorian to possess it. A single Veldorian could possess a droid easily, but couldn't possess vehicles on their own, or ships. The larger the vehicle or ship, the more Veldorians would be needed to do so.

- Bio Engineering/Vong Forming/Master Engineering: The Veldorians are good when it comes to biotechnology like what the Vong use, but they are also good when it comes to regular technology like the rest of the galaxy uses. This skill was developed so they could build ships that they didn't accidentally possess.

- Telepathic Communication: When Veldorians are in the same system of space they are able to sync up and communicate with each other telepathically, allowing them to act without verbally communicating.

- Corporeal Forms: Each of the Veldorians has a corporeal form that they can shift into, allowing them to interact with the world as if they were a regular organic. However, when they are in this form they cannot use the ability to possess machinery. This form is something they typically stay in most of the time, except when they wish to possess machinery. However their bodies produce fewer fatigue toxins, and have greater endurance than that of other organics.

- Knowledge Transferance: Upon the death of a Veldorian, all the memories and knowledge the Veldorian has are passed onto another, allowing the life experience to be used by the Veldorians of the future.

• Weaknesses:
- Force Fields: The energy frequencies of Force Fields prove hazardous to the health of a Veldorian. Merely being contained inside one would make the Veldorian weak, and drain all their stored up energy.
- Machinery Possession: Posessing machinery for long periods of time tires out the Veldorian who is doing it or the multiple Veldorians who are doing it. The Machinery Possession could also take them anywhere from minutes to days, or weeks depending on the complexity of the technology. Furthermore, they cannot possess organic technology. The more sophisticated the technology, the more energy they have to expend to possess it. Furthermore, this ability will not work on devices imbued with the Force in any shape or fashion. They cannot possess anything bigger than a droid with a single Veldorian, and the size of the droid is an R2D2 unit. As a result of this, normally when going to possess machinery multiple Veldorians will work together, or this won't even be tried.
- Telepathic Connection: While the telepathic connection all the Veldorians share is a strength, it is also a weakness. For they can feel it when one of their own is killed in action. They can all feel the pain of any Veldorians who are maimed, murdered, or anything else happens to them. With effort this connection can be suppressed, though it hurts them physically to do so. this only works for Veldorians who are in the same system.

- Traveling through machinery/currents: If they travel through machinery or currents too long they could break apart, and reform eventually although they'd have amnesia.
- Energy Projection: If the Veldorians don't project the energy outwards, they will suffer from an overload and explode. They'll reform afterwards, but have amnesia and be weak.

CULTURE
  • Diet: While the Veldorians don't eat traditional food, they can absorb energy from machinery. Energy could be absorbed from plant or animal life. While it is true energy could be absorbed from sapient beings, this process is considered taboo among the Veldorians. The Veldorians can eat traditional food, even if it isn't as filling to them as draining power from machinery.
  • Communication: Telepathy
  • Technology level: Their technology level is on the high end of the Galactic Standard.
  • Religion/Beliefs: While the Veldorians do still have the potential to use the Force, they believe that it is not something people should mess around with, at least to the degree the Galaxy at large has been doing so. The Veldorians also believe that viruses such as the Gulag Plague and anything nearing that potency show no form of any honor whatsoever.
  • General behavior: The Veldorians are an honorable species, and will not attack others without any form of provocation from the individuals. They hold themselves to a code of honor much like that of a Samurai of old. The Veldorians are willing to tolerate outsiders, but will not take jokes when it comes to things like viruses, or biological weapons, or similar being deployed on the world of Setus Prime. Such 'jokes' would likely lead to them attacking the individual who made the jokes in the first place.
HISTORICAL INFORMATION

The Gulag Plague was one of the worst diseases to befall the Galaxy. It hit the world of Setus Prime particularly hard, wiiping out a good portion of Veldorians. When only about six thousand remained who were uninfected, the Veldorians gathered themselves together. Working as a unit they divided up into groups of one hundred. The most powerful force users of their race, as well as the most intelligent scientists began to brainstorm ways they could avoid dying in case the plague was launched again. Finally an idea came to the mind of the Force Users and the Scientists. The plague could only affect organic matter, so what if they were no longer organic? The idea held virtue, and so the scientists and Force Users began to work in tandem, building a device that with a massive amount of force energy powering it, could turn all of the Veldorians into beings of pure energy, and thus allow them to survive any future diseases or viruses like that.

Deployment of the device was done, and it worked. However it was at a cost. The Force Users who had participated had died during the process because they'd poured their everything into powering the machine so that the Veldorians could survive.. The ones that remained weren't exactly the most powerful of the Force Users, but could get by. Over time, the Force was abandoned for the most part although some of the Veldorians continued the practice of it, while most had turned to science or the new abilities they possessed to handle problems.

The Netherworld event wiped out a good chunk of the Veldorians, and has led to them joining with the Narrikians and becoming a vassal race of the Narrikians. The Veldorians discovered after the event that they had a "tangible" form that could be used by them to interact with the world around them. It was from there that they decided on something, that they needed a way to interact with ships without possessing them. So they started working on their own bio-technology for themselves.

Jason H. Wayne said:
Image Credit:

Jason H. Wayne said:
Links: [Provide links to any relevant threads, characters, companies, locations, equipment, etc here.]

I'd ask that you fill empty fields with 'N/A' to make it more clear to the reader.

Jason H. Wayne said:
Average Lifespan:20,000 years
This feels a bit excessive. They could (in theory) pre-date even Revan by nearly 18 millenia which strikes a bad chord with me. Could you elaborate upon why you chose this?

Jason H. Wayne said:
Average height of adults: [As this varies heavily, N/A.]

Jason H. Wayne said:
Average length of adults: [As this varies so heavily, N/A.]
I want to see this edited to provide an average span for people to use such as 1.5m -> 1.8m (as an example) for Height as well as 50kg -> 100kg (as another example) for Weight.

Jason H. Wayne said:
Skin color:Varies too heavily to have a common.

Jason H. Wayne said:
Hair color: Varies too heavily to have a common.

Once again, please provide at least an example of what colors the species can have. Can it be red? Green? Blue? Any combination of the three?

Jason H. Wayne said:
Strengths:

Jason H. Wayne said:
Weaknesses:

Your strengths are:
+ Immunity to, and absorption of, Electrical Currents (Physical)
+ Master Engineers (Non-physical)
+ Can project their energy onto something as well as travel in electrical currents. (Physical)
+ Can possess machinery (Physical)

Your weaknesses are:
- Can't use the force (Non-Physical)
- Can be turned into batteries (Circumstantial)
- Unable to use Force Artifacts (Non-Physical Circumstantial)
- Can be killed by force absorption or similar. (Physical)

I feel like none of the weaknesses are there to balance out the strengths that this species has. The species are great with tech, but what of other fields? To add, 2 out of 4 weaknesses are circumstantial at best and I would like to see more weaknesses added to balance out what the strengths are.

For example:
  • Does possessing a machine affect them somehow? Maybe it tires them out?
  • Same with travelling in currents, does this affect them in some way? Maybe they leave a part of themselves in said currents that affects them somehow?
  • Does the energy that the Veldorians absorb have any negative feedback on the individual doing it?

Jason H. Wayne said:
Diet:While the Veldorians don't eat traditional food, they can absorb energy but they can also feed off of the energy produced by emotions. Emotions such as Obsession, or similar would be poisonous to them. They are capable of eating regular food as well, even if it takes them a bit of adapting to.
This sounds a lot like the force, feeding off of others emotions.

Jason H. Wayne said:
Religion/Beliefs: The Veldorians believe that the Force does hold power, but that it should not be manipulated like many of the galaxy have. They also believe that all biological or technological weapons that cause disease are dishonorable, and hold themselves to a code of honor much like that of a Samurai Warrior.
Again, if they can't use the force and have lived for a very long time without it, why would they still revere it? It would be a good idea to elaborate upon this in their history.

Jason H. Wayne said:
HISTORICAL INFORMATION
The Veldorians were one of the races on Setus Prime when the Gulag Plague hit. The plague devastated many of them, and so Veldorian scientists at the time decided on something. As they were, they couldn't survive if something worse were to come along and wipe them out with bio-weaponry. So several of the most powerful Force Users of the Veldorians gathered, and created a 'spell' with the Force that mutated the Veldorians and transformed all of them into living energy. This had side-effects, such as rendering the Veldorians unable to use the abilities of the Force, but instead granting them their own unique abilities. The Veldorians have progressed a long way since then, even if they mostly keep to themselves.
Considering this species is a power house (pun intended) I want to see this expanded upon as well to reflect some more upon a few of the issues I raised before. You could for example expand upon the Religion aspects here as well as maybe some more about some of the other major events. For example, did they get affected by the Netherworld Crisis? If so, how?

All in all, I do understand what you are going for here, but I am just not willign to stamp it in its current condition.

[member="Jason H. Wayne"]

I do believe you covered most of what I asked about, but I can't help but notice that you added "Unassisted Space Travel" as a strength and weakness. I would like to see this expanded upon if it is to stay. I also still want to see a bigger history put in place.

Your history still mentions they are unable to use force, but you also added that they can use the force if they worked hard for it. This should be reflected in the list of weaknesses.

Other than that, I think it looks pretty good! :)

Jason H. Wayne

J
@Kalli Talith

As you have requested, I have rewritten the history and improved upon the weaknesses. If there are any further edits don't hesitate to ask me to make them.

Well alright then, I am going to stamp this with Trainee Approval.

Still need another judge to mull it over and such, but from my point of view you are good to go! :)

Jason H. Wayne

J
There is in fact no canon species that has such, but I will be willing to make whatever edits are required.

[member="Boethiah"]

No problem at all, I am happy to work with you to get this approved. The first thing that needs to happen is a few expansions:

Jason H. Wayne said:
- Energy Absorption: The Veldorians possess the ability to absorb energy from machinery they come across, and need to do so in order to survive. This includes energy from blaster bolts, lightsabers, radiation and regular electricity as well as plasma and other types of energy attacks directed at them.
I'll need to to elaborate on this. To what degree can energy be absorbed? Is it instant or slow? Are there any serious drawbacks or limitations?

Jason H. Wayne said:
- Machinery Possession: The Veldorians can 'possess' machinery, allowing them to override control of the machine and turn it on their enemies.
This--and its corresponding weakness--need to be expanded as well. I need to know more exactly what its limitations are. How quickly can a Veldorian take control of a machine once the possession begins? Does this apply to all machines, or just some? Is it harder or even impossible to possess complicated machinery? How long is "too long" when they are traveling through machinery/currents, minutes, hours?

Jason H. Wayne said:
- Bio Engineering/Vong Forming/Master Engineering: The Veldorians are good when it comes to bio-technology like what the Vong use, but they are also good when it comes to regular technology like the rest of the galaxy uses.
I'm going to need you to explain their affinity with bio-technology and why it makes sense for them to use it.

Jason H. Wayne said:
- Strong Connection: Those who can use the Force among the Veldorians, possess an intensely strong connection due to the numbers of the Force Sensitive being low.
This doesn't make sense to me. Although there are plenty examples of races in Star Wars having more force sensitives on average and others with none at all, I have never seen an example where the rarity of force users among the living population attributed to their strength in the force. Can you cite an example of where this is true? If not you'll need to remove this.

Jason H. Wayne said:
- The Force: While the Veldorians still maintain an ability to use the Force, and using it for them would be as easy as breathing they require more training to master the fundamental concepts of the Force. It is also difficult for them to do.
This seems more like a strength than it is a weakness. Do all Veldorian maintain the ability to use the force, or just their force sensitives? How does it come as naturally to them as breathing, but somehow remain difficult due to lack of training? I am fine with the notion that they have a harder time using the force, but the rest should be removed.

Jason H. Wayne said:
They can also convert Force Energy that is used against them directly such as Force Lightning, or similar to energy.
Explain to me how they can convert force energy, please. Although the force can be 'absorbed' and even 'consumed' in a sense, it is described as a ubiquitous and metaphysical entity. Whilst true energy is a physical property.

Jason H. Wayne said:
The idea held virtue, and so the scientists and Force Users began to work in tandem, building a device that with a massive amount of force energy powering it, could turn all of the Veldorians into beings of pure energy, and thus allow them to survive any future diseases or viruses like that.
This is actually an interesting route to the origins of a species, but I am going to need you to elaborate on this. Technology which is created to harness the force falls under Celestial and Rakata technology. Both of which are banned as additional creations in Chaos canon. I am unable to find examples outside of this, so unless one is provided I am afraid you're going to have to find an alternative to this.

Although I recommend focusing on the other edit requests for now, and we can come back to this.

Finally, you still need to include the Netherworld event in the history.

Jason H. Wayne

J
@Boethia Hopefully my edits are sufficient. Haven't an idea how to fix the last part though, as becoming beings of living energy...hmm.

Jason H. Wayne

J
@Boethiah

Edits have been accomplished, except for the last one as I am not sure how the Veldorians could have become energy beings without the use of such technology.

Jason H. Wayne said:
This is instant, but with a draw back when it comes to blaster bolts, lightsabers and Force Lightning. The drawback is if they over consume the energy that is directed at them they could overload.
If you want it to be instant, then it must state it doesn't take a lot of energy to achieve overload. Otherwise if you want them to be able to absorb more then it will need to be a gradual process.

Jason H. Wayne said:
The machines they can possess include droids, tanks, anything that isn't hand held basically. Walkers, fighters, entire ships and what not could be controlled by them although it would take longer.
Droids are fine, but vehicles are not. Not for a single individual anyway. Please stipulate that a single individual will not be able to possess anything greater than a droid. I am fine with multiple beings being able to work together to control larger things, but only if there are as many of them as the minimum crew required to operate such a vehicle.

Jason H. Wayne said:
- Bio Engineering/Vong Forming/Master Engineering: The Veldorians are good when it comes to bio-technology like what the Vong use, but they are also good when it comes to regular technology like the rest of the galaxy uses. This skill was developed so they could build ships that they didn't accidentally possess.
I am still unsure what you mean here... The vong used bio-technology, which they cannot possess. How are these beings able to operate technology without possessing it? Do they have a tangible form, can they interact with physical objects? Please expand their description and include these necessary details. Because frankly this submission is difficult for me to visualize as it is written.

Jason H. Wayne said:
- Telekinesis: The Veldorians can use a non-force form of telekinesis that can allow them to lift roughly up to 20 tons with little more than the power of their brain.
As it stands the species have a lot of abilities already, so telekinesis is too much to include.

Jason H. Wayne said:
- Telepathic Connection: While the telepathic connection all the Veldorians share is a strength, it is also a weakness. For they can feel it when one of their own is killed in action. They can all feel the pain of any Veldorians who are maimed, murdered, or anything else happens to them. With effort this connection can be suppressed, though it hurts them physically to do so.
I apologise for not getting to this before. The weakness is fine, but could you include the maximum distance their telepathy is maintained with one another? I find it hard to imagine that two Veldorians could communicate across worlds, for example. Nor would it be pleasant for all Veldorians in the galaxy to miraculously share pain with one another.

Jason H. Wayne said:
They can also convert Force Energy that is used against them directly such as Force Lightning, or similar to energy.
You still haven't explained how they are able to convert the force to energy.

Jason H. Wayne

J
Edited out the Force Energy thing, mentioned that they have a Corporeal Form. If I have done all the edits you wish, let me know.

[member="Boethiah"]

I've thought over this carefully, and I can see an energy species being approved. But I can only see it as a physical being, and not having an almost ethereal or ghost-like form. It's a complicated thing to consider, and without precedence in canon I am having a hard time grasping this concept and figuring out how balanced it is. Because it does have balance within itself, but I don't think it has balance within Star Wars.

If this is something you really want to pursue, then I suggest you make the species absolutely physical. Give them a singular form or shape--humanoid or otherwise--and allow them to operate technology normally. Their absorption capabilities are fine and balanced. However, the possession is something I find too unique. I might suggest giving them the ability to 'disrupt' technology they touch. Kind of like sending a surge of energy, and simply overloading an object (so long as there's a limit to how much they can project).

Their ability to turn into an energy beam, or transfer themselves into machinery and what not, would be removed in this case.

As for an explanation so that the Gulag Plague makes sense, you could simply put something like: "The Veldorians are energy-based lifeforms, but in rare cases certain viruses have been known to affect them. The Gulag plague being one..." And then so on with your description. If that makes sense. No one is expecting anyone to science their way through every detail.

I know this isn't what you had in mind, but it is the only way I can see an energy-based lifeform of this degree being approved. Because it does have a lot of implications and there are details to consider, and without similar species to reference it makes it more difficult to grasp when trying to understand how to roleplay as or with this species.

As for the knowledge transference, how does that work? Are they a hive-mind?

Jason H. Wayne

J
@Boethiah

I have given this concept a lot of thought, and have decided to have you archive it as I will have to completely rewrite it.

Understood. It is a really cool concept, and I think you should try to finish it if it's what you want. Ask a codex admin or RPJ to have this brought back out for review whenever you want to come back to this.

Marked for archival.

[member="Mahet"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom