Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship UA-50 'Thunderbird' Dropship Gunboat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
lXHV44L.jpg
Image Source: St. Theo

Intent: To create a large dropship to support the Helldivers in combat and landing heavy equipment.
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Shadowline
Model: UA-50 'Thunderbird' Dropship
Affiliation: Shadowline/Helldivers

Modularity: N/A
Production: Minor Production
Material: Durasteel, Transparisteel, etc.

Classification: Heavy Dropship/Gunboat
Height: 11.4 meters
Length: 59 meters
Width: 39 meters

Minimum Crew: 2 (Pilot and Copilot)
Optimum Crew: 5 (Pilot/Copilot, Gunner/Assistant, Crewchief)
Propulsion: Repulsorlift, Ion Afterburners
Armaments:

• Ventral Mass Driver Cannon

• 6 Fast-Tracking Repeating Laser Cannons

• Tail-mounted Heavy Laser Cannon
Passenger Capacity: Can carry 20 soldiers in the neck in addition to the large cargo bay, which can be converted to carry soldiers (up to 60), equipment, or vehicles (usually around two or four).
Cargo Capacity: ~100 tons
Misc. Equipment:

• Standard Countermeasure Package (Flares, Chaff, ECM)

• Nose Mounted Thermal, IR, Nightvision, DER's, and Laser Designator Combined Sensor Pod

• Maneuver Thrusters (combined with Ion Afterburners)
  • Standard Communications Suite
  • Holonet Transceiver
  • Standard Deflector Shield Generator
  • Standard Life Support Systems
  • Standard Navigational Systems
  • Standard Sensor Suite
  • Standard Targeting Systems
Maneuverability Rating: 4
Speed Rating: 6
Strengths:
  • Very maneuverable
  • Reasonably Tough
  • Moonlights as a Gunboat
Weaknesses:
  • Slow for its size
  • Downright sluggish in space
  • No Hyperdrive - has to be carried
Description:
The Helldivers are designed as a rapid reaction shock force. The kind of unit you send in to capture bridges, bust open bunkers, and otherwise clear the way for the main assault force. As a general rule, they lack the heavy equipment and siege weapons necessary to do 'grunt' work. However it soon became clear, even when they were still Imperial Force Recon, that the UA-101 wasn't entirely suited to every role necessary. While small and quick, it is primarily a gunship, with limited transport capability. As the role of the Helldivers expanded with the creation of Shadowline, so too did their need for larger transports.

The UA-50 Thunderbird is designed to meet that need. While based off the UA-101, the UA-50 doubles as a dropship and gunship and is capable of trans-atmospheric flight. Visually, it is a clear 'big brother' to the Hell Hawk. Unlike the 101, however, it is designed from the ground up for transport. Past the cockpit there is a long 'neck,' which is a sealed troop compartment, capable of carrying twenty soldiers with full gear. The neck connects to a large hanger, which can be configured a variety of ways.

For pure troop transport a false floor can be extended, allowing the UA-50 to move another 60 soldiers. Alternatively, it can be configured to transport one or two smaller vehicles, battle droids, or extra equipment.

Armament wise the UA-50 mounts a set of six fast-tracking repeating laser cannons for defense. There is also a heavy laser as a tailgun, to deter pursuers. Finally there is a large mass driver cannon mounted on the bottom of the craft, giving it some utility as a gunboat. The cannon can fire a variety of types of shell (high explosive, APFSDS, Plasma, Fragmentation, etc.), and is generally used to clear buildings or destroy enemy armor and emplacements. Because of its size and comparatively slow speed, the UA-50 is normally only employed as a gunboat if air superiority has been achieved (similar to a modern AC-130).

Otherwise the systems on the craft are unremarkable, being more or less copied (and appropriately sized-up) from the UA-101. As it is primarily designed to ferry soldiers to and from orbit, it is rather sluggish and un-maneuverable in space.

[member="Cyrus Tregessar"]

Ok asking this quick. But is this a dropship or an airspeeder? Because you have it classified as both, but this is a lot more like a LAAT than it is any standard airspeeder. I understand its locked into atmo, but a flying troop transport should be judged according to dropship rules, and this has too large a capacity for an airspeeder.

If you could pick one classification or the other and then design it accordingly it would be much appreciated.

I've always been a little curious as to what the technical difference between an airspeeder and other craft is. At any rate, I had imagined the UA-50 capable of trans-atmospheric flight. I'll re-class it as a Dropship, I guess.

[member="Camellia Swift"]

Alright. ping me when its all settled.
The only difference is an airspeeder is not so well armed or equipped to carry so much. Consider it more like speeder bikes, the transport luke used on tattooine in a New Hope, and similar products.

What you have is more a military dropship that is reminiscent of the LAAT and other designs. Also if you could perhaps elaborate on the proton cannon for me I'd appreciate it.

Alright, changes made (including changing the proton cannon, I'm not sold on them anyway), but given that dropships are properly put in the Starship forum, this is now out of place. Is it a simple matter of moving this post, or should I resubmit?

We can move it. My only requests left are a quick run down of the standard counter measure package for my understanding, and if you can bump the maneuverability to a 4 or 5.

Can we change it to just chaff and flares or just ECM? Sensor Jamming falls under a form of stealth. Unless you can show somehow this is a canon package? Or something that is common in real life I should evaluate and consider in this matter?

Well radar jamming is unbelievably easy in real life (find desired frequency, rebroadcast energy on that frequency), though not always effective or desirable but I'm not sure what constitutes standard 'sensors' in Star Wars. I'll remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom