Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Toma - The Everyman's Drug

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_llcu4uRftM1qz9sh8o1_500.jpg

Image Source: Google

Intent: To create a mass-produced drug available to the citizens of the galaxy at large that offers a refuge from the horrible atrociousness of war and attrition going on around them.

Development Thread: If Needed

Manufacturer: Coruscant Flower and Funeral Company

Model: N/A

Affiliation: Open Market

Modularity: No

Production: Mass Produced

Material: Carisoprodol, tomaphenethylamine, alginic acid, magnesium stearate, potassium sorbate, starch, tribasic calcium phosphate

Description:

"A gram is better than a damn."

About
Toma is a small white pill sold in packets in multiples of 6, by half-gram or gram, on the black market and used for the relief of anxiety, depression, anger, uncertainty, and general mental malaise. Toma is both affordable and easily attainable - making it a popular choice for those who cannot afford the drugs typically reserved for the upper echelons of society.

Toma is addictive both chemically and conceptually. A user can easily become reliant upon the drug to ease them into a positive state of mind, rather than seeking professional help and dealing with their mental/emotional issues at the core.

Dosage
In minor doses [Half Gram] Toma elicits an uplifting complacency and happiness with one's lot in life. For those who are prone to emotional stresses, it eases the wear on the mind and body and softens the experience of mood. Anxious, depressed, upset, or angry people are capable of happily going about their day without the distractions of the mind's constant internal flux. Reality is sunny and enjoyable, the user is functionally serene for an hour or so. Half grams have also been used to help people fall asleep and have also been noted to be quite effective as a hypnotic aid to make the mind more open and susceptible to ideas.

Higher doses [Full Gram] result in a synthetic enhancement of life - colors appear brighter and warmer, the mind moves slower and is less receptive to negative stimuli such as mental, emotional, or physical pain, while markedly more receptive to positive stimuli, persuasion, brainwashing, and the effects of pheromones. Reality is fuzzy and joyous and amusing - the user is infinitely warm and friendly; fully capable of experiencing the often overlooked wonders of the world without distraction. A full dose is often referred to as a Holiday, which typically can last a for several hours at a time.

Major doses [Two Grams or more] will take one off their feet and into a state of nondescript bliss, raising an impenetrable wall between one's mind and reality itself. More than two grams will put a full grown human into blissful hallucinations where the body is quiet but the mind is alive and buzzing. The user is rendered nonfunctional and mentally checked-out in what is referred to as a Toma-Coma. Memory loss is common and often days of a user's life is lost to this dream-like state, though it is said by those who partake in Toma-Comas that they gain years through these dreams.

It is not recommended to exceed more than 4 full grams in one day per 100lbs of body weight. Any more than that can lead to actual coma, seizures, permanent memory loss beyond the time frame of drug effectiveness, and during recovery mental/emotional relapse that can lead to anxiety/panic attacks, paranoia, severe mood swings, confusion and can leave the user incapable of focusing or attaining mental clarity for days.

When taken as a pill it is tasteless; can be chewed or swallowed whole, or left to dissolve under the tongue or in the cheek for faster results (5-10 minutes). Administered normally (swallowed) it takes approximately fifteen minutes for it to kick-in if taken on an empty stomach, 30 minutes if taken with a meal. Many people dose pre-emptively. Toma quickly dissolves in liquid and can be taken as an additive to drink or food. A popular way to administer Toma is by mixing it in with ice cream or one's favorite beverage due to its tastelessness.

Toma can and often is used while partaking in alcohol. The combination of the two effectively speeding up the process of Toma on the brain and the resulting effects it elicits. In general, Toma does not interact badly with alcohol, but it does make the user less aware of their state of drunkeness or illness if they're that many drinks in. Toma is popular with young people at parties and clubs because of this coordinating effect.

It is not advised to take Toma with Spice, as the two have very strong interactions with one another that are not fully documented.

Origin
Released as the drug Tasitoma, it was originally created as an anti-depressant and sleep-aid for insomniacs and people with other sleeping disorders. It experienced several years of popularity for its highly-effective results and could be bought through Doctor's prescription only. Like many RX drugs on the market, Tasitoma eventually found its way into the hands of users wanting it simply for the ride of its effects. It became a popular underground drug with teens and young adults - but was eventually pulled from shelves due to its apparent addictive qualities. It was later discovered that prolonged use of Tasitoma had ill effects on the mind and is thought to be the cause of thousands of people who now suffer from early-onset dementia and other mental-degenerative afflictions. The original creators underwent public and governmental scrutiny, investigations and lost millions of dollars through lawsuits. Tasitoma was permanently pulled from shelves...

...and eventually found its way onto the black market as it's underground name Toma. No one is really sure who released its formula and if it was done intentionally given its massive popularity, but whoever owns the patent and formula now is making a killing. It has become so common and easily attainable that some people refer to it as the "Everyman's Drug." Though illegal on many planets, most officials will generally disregard those who are found to be carrying it in small doses. Larger quantities (mass orders) are typically commandeered, though it's not uncommon for some of it to go missing on the way to HQ.

General Overview
[+] Inexpensive in terms of Black Market drugs. Though the price is twice of what was charged as an RX drug, it has yet to approach levels of expense more common for Spice or LDS-1. 300 cr will get you a 12 pack of Half-Grams direct from a dealer.

[+] Easy to get a hold of if you know the right people. Due to it's wide distribution and popularity, the majority of Black Market dealers keep a good stock, it practically sells itself.

[+] Safe and easy to take with no ill-side effects when administered in moderate doses.

[+] Tasteless. No icky medicine mouth!

[-] Tasteless. Can easily be used to lace the food or drink of the unsuspecting.

[-] Wait time. While other more expensive drugs like Spice and LDS-1 have near-instant effectiveness, Toma has a wait period of 5-30 minutes depending on how it's taken.

[-] Users of Toma are much more susceptible to persuasion, brainwashing, hypnotism, and also the effects of pheromones.

[-] Addictive. Recovering addicts experience their natural mental/emotional issues two-fold.

[-] Overdosing is remarkably easy, which can lead to permanent damage of the brain.

[-] Prolonged use of the drug has been shown to lead to early-onset dementia and mental degradation.

Primary Source: Creation based on the drug "Soma" from Aldous Huxley's novel Brave New World. This rendition of the drug is a brain child of the talented co-owner of CFFC, [member="Mitzi May"].

[member="Silara Kuhn"]

I'm not an expert chemist and while I would know where to begin with this, it would be entirely presumptuous, conjured, and not any more accurate then what is currently described. If that's what you all want, I can do that, but I don't feel that I have the appropriate knowledge base to accurately come up with the combination of drugs that would, real world or star wars, develop the prescribed effect.

Dang it Jim, I'm a biologist...not a star wars chemist.

Roger Kranos said:
[member="Silara Kuhn"]

I'm not an expert chemist and while I would know where to begin with this, it would be entirely presumptuous, conjured, and not any more accurate then what is currently described. If that's what you all want, I can do that, but I don't feel that I have the appropriate knowledge base to accurately come up with the combination of drugs that would, real world or star wars, develop the prescribed effect.

Dang it Jim, I'm a biologist...not a star wars chemist.
Just a generalization of the chemicals will do, nothing super specific. This just needs to be available here for future reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom