Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory Titan Ratings | Suggestion

This isn't going to be long-winded like some of the suggestions on the board, mainly because I get so hyper in my brain with ideas that once it translates into a written word I'm already burnt out.

But, nevertheless:

Titan Ratings.

Essentially, this would be a rating reserved for Super Star Destroyers only. It's a rating that goes one above 'Extreme,' and does not have a similar negative rating to balance. The idea would be that an SSD would only be permitted to have one rating be rated at Titan.

Now, as for the why? To establish my ethos, I've built an SSD for myself and looked at other SSDs, so you can know I'm 100% credible. Jokes aside, I feel that when it comes to SSDs, they have a lot of things going for them rating-wise; they are by default unique, and so that rating balance (and the fact that no one wants to turn these big chonkers into a fast or maneuverable SSD) means that ratings-wise, you end up with a lot of the same -- extreme defenses, extreme armaments, you know where I'm going.

Titan ratings would change the game and make an SSD really be about something. Since only one rating would be allowed to be Titan, this means that each SSD (if the owner wished) would be able to go above and beyond in a single rating so that during fleeting, you can tell "oh crap this dreadnaught really can take a hit" or "guess I can say bye to my fleet." A special rating for SSDs also feels it would make sense because as it stands SSDs are really the only thing in the factory you still have to earn -- so by doing so, you're earning a ship that is (A) thicc and (B) has access to superpower ratings.

Plus, a Titan rating sounds cool
although I am not strictly keeping to the name Titan if that's not a hit.

It's not a question of ratings that causes almost every SSD to be the same, rather it's the intent and limit of one's imagination. Out of the Four SSD's I've made, only two matched your example, while the others fit the fast and maneuverable archetype, or some other support role. I don't think adding a new rating would change anything other than the SSD's losing out on more hangar space, speed or maneuverability to account the second NOT-Superlaser to be slapped on these massive warships. Essentially perpetuating more of the same, as it's the people submitting them that've created this trend. lol

If you want an SSD to be about something? My advice would be to flex your imagination and explore new concepts, rather than trying to rehash a proverbial bullet sponge. You, or anyone else, shouldn't need an additional rating to make your creation truly unique and stand out amongst the rest.

The word Extreme doesn't do that already?

People can still have their own special SSD's without adding an extra adjective to it or venturing into only a single area such as defense or armament. Besides the SSD's, despite how much time getting one can take, are only as good as the writer controlling it and/or the other writers collaborating with it.

Rynn Vizsla Rynn Vizsla
Grrwunhoooll Agaburry Grrwunhoooll Agaburry

I totally agree with where you're coming from. I think that there are many SSDs that do strive to be unique and many have achieved that goal -- my suggestion of the 'Titan' rating would merely extend that imagination and creativity into ratings, for balancing and sizing up submissions and ships and how they would stand compared to others. I think this would not hinder nor replace creating unique and original SSD concepts, only enhance it.

I see where this is coming from, but special ratings =/= unique imagination.

I've seen some truly fantastic SSD ideas suggested that do not rely on ratings to inform their identity. Identity first, ratings second.

Otherwise you run into the same issue, you'll get a dozen Titan Armaments, or a dozen Titan Defenses, just like we have a dozen Extreme everything-but-the-kitchen-sink.

People just need to be creative on their own and worry less about whether or not its competitive with other SSDs. They are huge freakin' ships the size of cities, their capabilities are going to naturally be pretty similar unless you go out of your way to make it different, which is like, the whole point of being creative with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom