Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titan No More

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
[member="Anja Aj'Rou"]

Bastion.

He hadn't been here for a long time. His lips where thin, his hair was shaggy but his beard was well kept and trimmed tightly. He wore a suit, tailored perfectly to fit snuggly against his shoulders and cling to him exactly where it needed to. There were no guards with him, he didn't need any here. The people of Bastion knew him well, and the people who owned Bastion knew him better.

Alric had long been a friend of the Primeval, near since their inception in fact. His hand ran through his hair, pushing it back as he wandered up the massive steps to the citadel. His eyes folded over the massive statues and huge doors ahead of him. They slid open almost as though they sensed him coming.

“Never ceases to amaze.” Alric commented to himself as he wandered into the massive building.

The path was the same as it had been all that time ago, the guards slowly folded around him and began to lead him towards the Host Lord. They passed hall after hall until eventually they found their way to that same unadorned chamber that he was used to. A small smile touched his lips, and silently he waited for the Host Lord to appear.

Not many people in this galaxy ever visited Bastion and fewer were actually welcome to do so when they did. Alric was one of these few people. Titan Industries, under his leadership, helped pave the way for victories against The Primeval's enemies. But now all of that is forgotten, Titan Industries is name that only the old faces can recall and they don't do so with the same reverence as was once granted when the company was thriving.

Yet a spark of life is who he was, someone that could raise an eyebrow or provoke thought to the possibilities; a man whose very name inspired curiosity as to what great things would come next. Anja was told that an old ally of The Primeval had arrived today to meet with her, she had only heard rumors--whispers of his return. If he was truly back then she would at least meet with the man, to see what he had to say and what he'd do next. Afterall such a man was not one to pass up, even zealots knew better than to ignore the potential of genius.

As Alric awaited her arrival, Anja was getting ready in her private chamber. She stepped out of a bath surrounded by scents and spices, luxuries usually reserved for aristocrats but ones that held ceremonial significance for the Host Lord. Servants wiped her off with towels, padding her pale skin gently as she moved past them unhurriedly in the direction of a small table where robes were laid out. The green robes were wrapped around her and fastened with a belt made of a similar fabric. She waved away the armour that her servants carried out, a formality she did not desire for someone such as this.

Shortly afterwards she walked down the lengthy corridors until she made her way through the door opposite the one he arrived through, stepping into the room she had entered many times before but only a few times with him in particular. "I never expected to see you here, I suppose it'd be obtuse of me to assume you're here on behalf of Titan?" She had attempted to keep the relationship with Titan strong after he had vanished, but the Vong left in-charge did very little to support their arrangement, before vanishing himself.

[member="Alric Kuhn"]

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
[member="Anja Aj'Rou"]

He smiled, a soft smile. "It would be better to say that Titan and I parted ways."

That was putting it lightly. Tsavong Kraal had returned, captured his second in command, tortured him and then threatened to kill Alric all in the same day. It had certainly been an event, and not one that Alric really enjoyed thinking of. Though at the time he likely could have fought the Yuuzhan Vong for control, and possibly even won, such a thing had not been in the best interest of himself, or his children.

"Fortunately, Host Lord, my reputation precedes me." There was no hint of ego in his tone. "I was able to fund the founding of a new corporation, Vanir Technologies."

He didn't expect the woman to have heard of his new endeavors, after all Alric Kuhn was not the center of the galaxy. "I've come here to humbly put a proposal before you, as I have so often before."

"I proposal from you is a welcomed prospect," she quickly responded, offering him a seat on one cushion across from her as she sat on the one closest to herself.

Anja didn't care that he disappeared; he was back and there was no point indulging the conversation. Surely he had his reasons and private affairs were hardly valuable to a business deal in the making. The Host Lord was interested in concluding new arrangements, strengthening her people, fleets, and armies in whichever ways she can.

With a reputation like his, she knew she could trust his products to be of a higher quality than most, of a quality she could not only rely on but expect to exceed that of her enemies. She was interested in hearing what he had a say, "before we begin is there anything you'd like?" Her arm went out, gesturing towards a servant to his right and her left. If he refused the man would leave them be, if not he'd procure whatever the entrepreneur desired. The hospitality of The Primeval was as always, an unusual notion considering their rather ominous reputation.

[member="Alric Kuhn"]

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
[member="Anja Aj'Rou"]

"No." Alric said simply. "Thank you."

That was what he liked about dealing with the Primeval, things were always straightforward and to the point. He had never liked dancing around the wants or needs of a client. Of course he could do it, it was part of business after all, but he still preferred to lay out exactly what he needed, wanted, and could do, and then get out. It was simple, easy, and effective. He would never know why some people were completely incapable of it.

"Currently the galaxy, including yourself, operates on an ancient network of communications relays Holo-Net buoy's." Everyone did, it was the truth. Everyone from the Jedi Order to the One Sith utilized the same holo-net to communicate. "I want to change that."

Simple.

Of course the endeavor wasn't so simple, it would cost a fortune to construct, take time to create, and generally be a pain to set up, but once it was done it would be a show of glory.

Replacing an entire communications network was no easy task, Anja knew that much. If anyone other than Alric Kuhn had said, "I want to change that," the entire Galaxy would've laughed; but this was Alric Kuhn. If he said he wanted to change something, it wasn't wishful thinking--it usually meant he already had a plan, or at least that was the way she saw it.

Just as The Primeval could be respected for their approach, so could he. The Host Lord was tired of foolish dreamers trying to toss around big ideas only to never actually accomplish anything.

Her curiosity had found comfort in his words, "I assume you've already have methods in mind. What do you need from me, and how does The Primeval benefit from this?" Again, she wasn't going to circumnavigate things. If she expected something she'd say so, and right now she expected him to at least have a plan and a request. In exchange she expected something worthwhile as always.

That was how they operated, The Primeval weren't interested in buying and selling, they wanted an investment, a trade. Credits were useless to her, currency in general was just an idea; it was only as valuable as those who used the currency and if people stopped using it then it'd be no longer valuable. The only reason people use it is convenience... A global communications network, however, was used out of necessity. That had real value.

[member="Alric Kuhn"]

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
"It's quite simple." Alric said as he pulled a small device from his pocket.

It was a holographic display matrix, a small device that Vanir had created. Alric placed it onto the ground and set it off. Moments later an image of Primeval space blinked into life, red dots were situated through it, and Alric pointed to each one of them rather slowly, taking careful measure to point out the ones located near Bastion and Telos.

"Each one of these dots is a Holo-net Relay, set by the Old Republic." He leaned down and pressed a new switch. This time more dots appeared, but their color a bright green. "These will be new relays. They'll be coated in a anti-sensor paint, black, and their function will be much the same as the old. However as you can see, they'll be placed closer together and more tightly pact."

"Simply put, it will allow the Primeval faster and more secure communications, and by more secure, I mean no one without your expressed permission will be able to utilize the network." That was because it would require specialized equipment that only Vanir would make.

"Except for you, of course?" She asked the question rather bluntly, it wasn't that she wasn't willing to trust him, or even that it was a major concern.

She could see why their territory was a good place to start but he made it seem so exclusive. "Are you intending on developing localized networks for the entire galaxy, or is this an exclusive deal?" A second question, one just as plainly spoken as the first. Anja enjoyed her riddles but right now she was genuinely interested in getting answers, the technology was definitely promising and she was interested. Very interested.

Yet she couldn't be entirely sure that it wasn't without a catch. "And you haven't told me what you expect in return," her voice was as calm always. There was no hostility, suspicion, or disrespect in the way she spoke. There almost never was. Perhaps that was the intention, or maybe she truly didn't take most things personally; few honestly knew how her mind worked.

Regardless, her approach did suggest one thing--eagerness. It was fairly clear for anyone who has dealt with her before that she was genuinely interested in this technology for many reasons.

[member="Alric Kuhn"]

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
[member="Anja Aj'Rou"]

"Exclusive." Alric said simply. "I'll be designing other networks, but the Dark-Net will be for the Primeval alone."

He had several other clients that were interested in this, but the Dark-Net's main hub would be utilized for the Primeval. From there the experiment could expand, and Alric could create a network for everyone that wanted it. Of course such a thing would take time, but he was a patient man and he had many years yet to live out.

"All I want is the resources to create this project, and a free hand to do as I need to do." A free hand, it was something that she had given him once before, something that he would likely receive again. The resources were necessary, more than necessary in fact. Without them he would likely falter. Vanir wasn't half as massive as Titan, at least not yet, and he still needed more time to expand the company and its holdings. The Primeval would be of help with that.

Or so he hoped.

His answers were fair but his intentions remained elusive at best. It wasn't an issue for her, however, as the Host Lord specialized in arrangements with elusive individuals; somehow there was hidden benefit in uncertainty in the intentions of others. Perhaps it just made things less complicated.

"A sound arrangement, I can provide you the resources and discretion for this. You will have no laws to obey, no contracts to sign, and quotas to fulfill. Your business is your own and as long as you do not do anything to threaten our interests it will remain that way." She nodded with her words, signifying an agreement to say the least.

There still remained two questions. "Regardless, I must ask; will these other networks be completely independent--as in unable to communicate with each other? Someone such as you could benefit from a large galactic network, maintaining the upper hand as galactic powers only have access to their own networks. And what role do you play in this... What will you have access to, where is the balance of power in controlling these networks?" The Primeval's core belief was that power must be maintained in balance, they didn't want it all for themselves but they certainly would second-guess any alliance with one who did.

[member="Alric Kuhn"]

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
Alric smiled.

"I won't lie to you." He didn't feel the need to do so. "The networks will be separate. The Dark-Net will only be one of many, and I will control all of them. Independent network relays that I will control."

He told the truth. He would control the networks, or at the very least he would control the relays. The Networks themselves would belong to those who he built them for. The Dark-Net would belong to the Primeval, but the Primeval would need him to maintain it. There was power in that, a certain strength that he knew the Host Lord could recognize. After all, power was knowledge in its most pure form.

"However, you should keep in mind, Host Lord. I have never once betrayed you, I have never once worked against you. I abandoned Titan because of necessity, because I and my family were in danger. Even when I was under threat, I ensured that everything I had done for the Primeval stayed in tact. I have never once betrayed a business partner, and I never intend on doing so." All true.

Any damage that had been done had not been because of him, but because of others.

"Where you stand has never concerned me," She intended to reassure him there.

She believed every word he said on the matter, and that belief was even beyond her species' ability to sense deception. Besides, his position of power wasn't a terrible burden; in fact it was rather beneficial. It presented an equilibrium, a balance in power, if all networks were independent except from where Alric stood. Contingency would become an issue for a later date, for now she saw great benefit in what he proposed.

Continuing, "I see no reason to decline this proposition. Beyond the immediate transaction, this is certainly opening new doors." Doors that were closed in the past due to unfortunate circumstances.

The Primeval was more than willing to work with [member="Alric Kuhn"] on whatever projects he had in mind; so long as they helped her and her people with their goals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom