Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship TIE/s “Sentinel”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasha Santhe

Majority Share Holder, Santhe Corporation
TIE/s “Sentinel”
corporate_sector_authority_i_r_d_mk4_by_loreleistation-d7kflmf.jpg

Image Source: [x]
Affiliation: Open Market
Manufacturer: Sienar Fleet Systems
Model: TIE/s “Sentinel” Fighter
Modularity: No
Production: Mass-Produced
Material: Titanium alloy hull and Quadanium steel alloy 'wing' armor
Classification: Starfighter

Length: 4.4 Meters
Height: 2.8 meters
Width: 8.8 Meters

Armament:
2 Laser Cannons
2 Light Ion Cannons
Squadron Count: 24

Special Features:
Twin Ion Engine
Communications Array
Encryption Network
Light Deflector Shield Generator
Basic Life Support Systems
Standard Navigational Systems
Standard Sensor Array
Standard Targeting Systems

Maneuverability Rating: 2
Speed Rating: 2
Hyperdrive Class: None

Strengths:
*Fast
*Small frame and profile
Weaknesses:
*Weak Shields
*No Hyperdrive
*Specialized Racks

Description: The TIE/s fighter dubbed “Sentinel” is the next Generation TIE fighter. Designed along the lines of the original with space management and utility in mind the fighter had its trademark hexagon panels broken down into wing like structures placed along the central plane of the fighter craft. The fighter itself utilizes many space saving measures and technologies to create a small vessel capable of being stored and deployed en masse to swarm enemy formations.

While being designed to launch from on vertical racks like other TIE designs the Sentinel has the added flexibility of being able to plant on planets proper with a set of dedicated landing struts located under the central cockpit the secondary solar arrays being capable of moving in a fashion similar to the ancient TIE’s competitor the X-Wing. This configuration allows the Sentinel to be deployed by any force or on any planet without added construction. However use of vertical space in specialized racks designed to accommodate the fighter and other TIE’s of its sort allow for more fighters to be utilized. This means that in order to utilize the fighters space saving measures carriers need to be built with the fighter in mind and use an integrated racking system.

Feedback from pilots were crucial. Although lacking hyperdrive the Sentinel was fixed with a paltry light shield system giving the vessel added protection. Many weapons configurations were tested in the crafts development phase from missiles and lasers to solar ionization cannons and maser based weaponry however feedback proved the current configuration to be best. Two laser cannons provide stopping power against enemy fighters while a pair of light ion cannons allow for capture missions of craft in interdiction mission or extra fire power against larger vessels. Though combined the light ion cannons only hit with the power of a single larger system the engineers deemed the superior rate of fire from two cannons alternating fire was better as it allowed to engage faster targets as well. This versatility sets the Sentinel apart from other equivalent craft.

As with all TIE fighters the Twin Ion Engine is easily maintained with vectored thrust making it a mainstay in the Sienar lines. The fighter has versatility of maneuverability capable of both forward and horizontal thrust allowing the craft to strafe across a target. This versatility also means that the Sentinel thrives as a scout vessel.

Development Thread: [x]
Intent: Make a TIE Fighter thingie
Who Can Use This: Whomever purchases it from Santhe.
Primary Source: [1] [2]

ADM. Reshmar

Directorate Officer Fleet Admiral SJC 3rd Fleet
RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

ADM. Reshmar

[member="Sasha Santhe"]

Sasha Santhe said:
Manufacturer: Sienar Fleet Systems
Please link the manufacturers page.

Sasha Santhe said:
Length: 4.4 Meters Height: 2.8 meters Width: 8.8 Meters

Sasha Santhe said:
Squadron Count: 24-36
At this size the most you can get is 18 per squadron. Craft must be 5-6 meters and below to get those numbers.

Sasha Santhe said:
Material: Quadanium steel alloy

Sasha Santhe said:
2 Laser Cannons 2 Ion Cannons

Sasha Santhe said:
Maneuverability Rating: 1 Speed Rating: 1
Your asking for a heavy armor hull
max weapons for a ship this size
and speed and maneuvering of 1

The quadranium would make the mass of the fighter alot more than titanium would. Normal ties are made from titanium. It is strong and light. Quadranium is very heavy and just would not give you the speed and maneuvering you are wanting. If you are wanting to keep the Quadranium hull you would need to make speed 2 and maneuvering 2 at the lowest.
Or
Speed 1 Maneuvering 3
OR
Use another alloy as hull. Titanium is the go to for tie fighters. The TIE Defender had quadranium steel on the solar arrays but not as armor. If you wanted to use it in your solar arrays that would be fine. then use another alloy for the main hull.
Also
Installing WIng tip Lateral thrusters would get you a -2 Bump for maneuvering on something this size

My advice would be to Alusteel Hull all around. The quadranium is stronger sure but it weights alot more. Alusteel is stronger than titanium of durasteel
Wing tip Mounted Lateral Thrusters List them as a strength please
that would give you your
Speed 1
Maneuvering 1

Sasha Santhe

[member="Reshmar"]

Okay so first thing first.

Speed and maneuverability; I copied another tech sub I’m working on in my document and didn’t change the speed. This is actually meant to be 2/2 I didn’t catch that previously. Good looking out.

Quadanium steel alloy. People have posted “standard materials” and gotten accepted before. Given that this was a TIE fighter and this material was present in all the fighters I just added it as flavor. I didn’t realize I had to be hyper specific. Seems kinda dumb to me given the approval of “generic materials” on entries. Like I don’t need to write copper on there because it has wires. It just feels nitpicky to me. I mean…. is tie fighter. Don't mean to be salty but yeah.

Weapons. Standard weapon loadout for an interceptor is 2 cannons and 2 missile launchers. Missile Launchers equal multiple cannons last time I submitted. So I don’t get where replacing missile launchers with cannons on a 1 to one basis makes this over gunned. And for fighters it’s supposed to be 4 cannons 2 launcher, which this is fighter speed. I limited the guns and nixed a hyperdrive because of the vessels size. Honestly though there is canon precedence for ships this size as well armed and speed/man 1/1. But like honestly it has 4 guns in the picture which is I did it. Although I could do Light Ion Cannons and Laser cannons if that makes you feel better? I’d take away all the ion canons but I really don’t want to rewrite the description.

Now for the dosie. Size.

An X-wing, the ship used as an example for what 12 in a squadron equals takes up 156.25 square meters in a hanger floor space. Simple Math here an Xwing is 12.5 meters in length and has a wingspan that is 12.8 but I squared it to make it easier. So 156.25. My craft is 4.4 by 8.8. Soooo 38.72 meters of deck space. 156.25 divided by 38.72 =6.59. Now I get it that isn’t an accurate representation of how they would sit in a deck. When you cube it to account for vertical space the numbers become even more skewed in my favor. This isn’t the greatest representation of space use though. Let's do a better version. But whatever lets double my ships size, aka meaning 4 ships arranged a square pattern, to get a more accurate appraisal of what 2 for 1 would look like in square feet occupying the same hangar floor space. 8.8 by 17.6 = 154.88. So 156.25 Square feet from the example and 154.88 for two of my ships occupying the same space. I even halved the initial number so it wouldn’t be power gamey to make it 24. So okay what about my 36 number? Well most hangers in Star Wars don’t use vertical space. It would utilize special racks which in turn makes use of that space. Same reason why in canon Star Destroyers were able to cram more TIE fighters into their bays than Mon Cals could Rebel fighters. This also means that a ship has to be specially built to make use of these racks to get to my 36 number. I don’t think this is unreasonable. Especially given the relatively light armaments and change in speed.

Now squadron size and balancing issues. Standard Starfighter Squadron has 4 guns and 2 missile launchers. In the past I’ve seen missile launchers exchanged for 2 cannons a peice. There is even a sub out there somewhere called “Eight Gun Fighter” where they do this. So okay 8 times 12 = 96. My gun count at 24 is 96. Its equivolent. Now add to this the fact that the shields on my fighters are crappy, I even used the paltry in my edit to drive the point home. Given all of this… is it really an unreasonable request? I’m supported by the guide and simple basic math here.

ADM. Reshmar

[member="Sasha Santhe"]

Sasha Santhe said:
tandard weapon loadout for an interceptor is 2 cannons and 2 missile launchers. Missile Launchers equal multiple cannons last time I submitted
We have been swapping them out even. As per 2.0 yes they counted as more when it came to figuring capital and defensive weapons. But now a launcher and a canon are a pretty evan swap with an interceptor being able to have 4. Main reason for this is so bombers could have 4 launchers and 2 cannons since Per 2.0 Bombers were only allowed 2 launchers.

and the gun count doesn't matter for squadrons.
We base a squadron at 12 fighters of 12.5 meters So 12 x 12.5 =150
So your craft would be 150/8.8 = 17.04

Sasha Santhe

[member="Reshmar"]

If we ignore the dimensions of this fighter is there anything wrong with it? Like lets pretend it was someone 1 meter cubed and everything else is the same is there anything inherently over powered about the fighter and its stats as is. Is there anything wrong with it then?

Sasha Santhe

[member="Reshmar"]

I just checked the template it says that squadron size is based on the standard length of 12.5. If that's the case you're calculations are wrong. It isn't 150/8.8 which is my width it should have used my length 150/4.4 which equals 34.1. That's what the "rule" says.

ADM. Reshmar

[member="Sasha Santhe"] making a ship 4 meters long and 49 meters wide would still be within the template. We use the largest dimension for that reason.

for instance The B wing is 2.9 meters in length but we still count it as a 16.9 meter fighter.

Sasha Santhe

[member="Reshmar"]

Literally that is stupid and not written in the "rules" which aren't rules and I wish you didn't call them that. They are a guideline. I was there when they were written and it was discussed that squadron count would help as a balancing act. That can be seen in other fighter submissions where the dimensions allow them to have 12 or more per squadron count but they are super good and what not and take a squadron count of 6 to help as a balance act to how good the fighter is. This has been done in the past. In addition there are articles like this one that show you've approved other things like this.

Let me put this a different way. If I changed the dimensions so the largest length/width whatever is 4.4 which I believe puts the math for squadron count close enough (i think I said 34 before right?), would this ship be okay? If the answer is yes then literally all you're doing is wasting my time over semantics that don't mean anything. And I'm not trying to be confrontational. I know how I come off. But I'm upset because this is literally a useless argument that is preventing me from RPing.

ADM. Reshmar

I know this seems silly. And im not saying these are rules. It is just how we have been judging things. imagine a 36 count B-wing squadron. IF we just went by how long it was that would be possible.

IM not saying you can not have more than 12, but 36 per squadron is something we let 2 to 3 meter drones have not a maned fighter.

once you get a pilot in something shield them from space, heat. radiation, with controls and hull and armor and weapons and engines around him you are looking at at least 6 meters. The TIE raptor at 6.6 and the Defender at 5.3 are about the smallest a maned fighter can get.

Sasha Santhe

[member="Reshmar"]

Okay so for the record I now feel I'm getting somewhere. That being said. The Squadron count is 24 not 36. I did a Dev thread for a special set of Racks like the Eidelon had which allowed it to carry more than standard amount of TIE Fighters (I think the comic literaly says double) thats where the 36 number comes from. So literally it was intended if a ship says "Has sentinel racks" in its special features they could 36 per squadron. I'm sorry that wasn't clear. So lets work this out.

So the craft is basically based on this. Paltry shields, like the most basic and cheapo shields we can put on it (which some of those had shields later) No hyperdrive... the only difference is mine is slightly bigger because the wings extend longer and then mine is slower. That thing would be 1/1 if you take the mglt rating into effect. So I'm willing to work with you here, I really am. But like in square feet I can almost fit 4-1 so it seems a bit whatever that I have to do 17-12 because you only take the large number....

Edit: Sorry [member="Cira"] I didn't see your post! Was already typing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom