Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Thurin Corp. "Easy Breathe" Augmented Lungs

Status
Not open for further replies.
142aa6e.jpg
Image source: shutterstock
Intent: To create the first of Thurin Corp's "Biological enhancement" products.
Development Thread: Gladly will make one if needed.
Manufacturer: Thurin Corp.
Model: Thurin Corp. "Easy Breathe" Augmented Lungs
Affiliation: Open Market
Modularity: Not in the least.
Production: Limited (Production may be increased in the future as Thurin Corp. gains better facilities to produce such products)
Material: Cloned lung cells.

Strengths: Resistance to Airborne Toxins: One of the main focuses of the lungs are the 'filter hairs' that inhabit the lower parts of the bronchial tubes. These are basically dense fine fibers tilted upwards in the bronchial tubes preventing most unwanted gasses or small particles when inhaling, only oxygen is allowed through. This essentially filters the air as the lungs inhale. The unwanted gasses then sit in the upper parts of the bronchial tubes until the host exhales. Just as the host exhales, the fibers open slightly to allow the breath of carbon dioxide, as well as the unwanted gas, to leave the body. However, this filter is extremely fragile, as mentioned below.

More Efficient: 'Easy Breathe' lungs were genetically created and modified with special attention on the alveoli, the tiny air sacs inside human lungs that absorb oxygen. These sacs were modified to be slightly larger, becoming as large as efficient as possible without damaging the lung. This means that 'Easy Breathe' lungs are able to absorb more oxygen from every inhale of air, meaning the host can survive longer between inhales and requires less air to get the oxygen they need. This also means that the host can take in and utilize more oxygen per breath, making physical exercise slightly easier.

Weaknesses: Reliant on : 'Easy Breathe Lungs' are engineered in their cloning process so that they are unable to produce certain enzymes required to preform cell mitosis on their own. Therefore, they are reliant on supplements sold by Thurin Corp. to encourage cell mitosis. Without said supplements, the lungs will be unable to regenerate themselves and will begin to die. This means that once you purchase the product, you have essentially signed up to a life-time subscription.

Fragile filter: The 'filter' of the 'Easy Breathe Lungs' is sadly fragile. The user of these lungs must be careful not to inhale or exhale to sharply, or the sudden burst of air forced through the 'filter hairs' may damage them. Users of the 'Easy Breathe' lungs must learn how to breathe consistently as not to damage them. Likewise, the user must be careful not to inhale any large particles. Rather then just violently coughing them up like you normally would, you risk damaging the filter as the lungs try to drag the particles through.

Resistant to Bacta: As Bacta mainly functions by stimulating cell growth, and 'Easy Breathe Lungs' cannot preform cell mitosis without Thurin Corp.'s supplement pills, bacta does not properly function on healing injuries done to 'Easy Breathe Lungs'.

Description: 'Easy Breathe' lungs were specially made in Thurin Corp. laboratories as the first "Biological Enhancement" product coming from Thurin Corp. the first in a long line that they intend to produce. 'Easy Breathe' lungs are specially created from DNA samples from the customer, cloned and grown on request so that each pair of 'Easy Breathe' lungs is specifically made and geared for the customer. Currently, Thurin Corp's scientists have only created this product with humans and near-humans in mind, trying to clone 'Easy Breathe' lungs for other species would likely fail miserably.

The main feature of the 'Easy Breathe' lung is the little 'filters' in the bronchial tubes. These server the purpose of filtering out unwanted small particles and gasses before they enter the lungs- leaving the host resistant to airborne toxins and poisonus gasses. However, the filter is extremely fragile. If the host inhales or exhales too sharply on a regular basis, the filter could be damaged. The host also must be careful of inhaling large particles, as they may too damage the filters. The second useful function of the 'Easy Breathe' lungs are the enlarged alveoli, allowing the host to faster absorb oxygen with less wasted air. However, this also comes as a disadvantage; if the lungs' filter is damaged, the host will also absorb toxins in the air far easier.

Primary Source: N/A

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

This looks pretty neat, and it looks to me that you've put a good amount of thought into this.

Nicodemus Thaal said:
Manufacturer: Thurin Corp.
Please hyperlink "Thurin Corp." to the approved company submission.

Nicodemus Thaal said:
Immunity to Airborne Toxins:
I'd probably change this to "Resistance to Airborne Toxins".

I'd like to hear more about the filter's structure. For example, is this sort of like a micro-mesh sieve? Or is more biomemetic by using things like series of microscopic fibers that stick out from the walls of the bronchi? (sort of like how your nose hairs help filter things)

One thing to keep in mind with this filter is that it will need to be either be large enough to let carbon dioxide molecules pass through it, or it will need some sort of valve that only opens during expiration. This filtering issue is the main reason why this could probably make someone resistant to toxins, but not fully immune to them: when there is a way out, there is a way in.

Nicodemus Thaal said:
meaning the host can survive longer between inhales and requires less air to get the oxygen they need.
To clarify, does this improve actual physical performance for things like running? Or is this more of a thing that might help people hold their breath longer?

Gir Quee said:
This looks pretty neat, and it looks to me that you've put a good amount of thought into this.

Gir Quee said:
Please hyperlink "Thurin Corp." to the approved company submission.
Done. Sorry about that.

Gir Quee said:
I'd probably change this to "Resistance to Airborne Toxins". I'd like to hear more about the filter's structure. For example, is this sort of like a micro-mesh sieve? Or is more biomemetic by using things like series of microscopic fibers that stick out from the walls of the bronchi? (sort of like how your nose hairs help filter things) One thing to keep in mind with this filter is that it will need to be either be large enough to let carbon dioxide molecules pass through it, or it will need some sort of valve that only opens during expiration. This filtering issue is the main reason why this could probably make someone resistant to toxins, but not fully immune to them: when there is a way out, there is a way in.
A good point that I didn't think of. Edited. I used your microscopic fiber idea, essentially forming a gate of dense 'hairs' that remain closed and allow oxygen to pass though, and open slightly to allow carbon dioxide to escape.

Gir Quee said:
To clarify, does this improve actual physical performance for things like running? Or is this more of a thing that might help people hold their breath longer?
Another thing I didn't consider, I suppose it would to a certain extent. Added in.

Thanks for getting this to judge quickly! If there's anything else you'd like me to add, do tell. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom