Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Wolf and the Dog Do Not Play Together (Darell Irani)

Betna sat quietly in the study of his home on Mandalore. It was a comfortable room set a little ways away from the main dwelling and connected one of the many sunken hallways that were found throughout the home. Mandalorian dwellings were one part home and two parts defensive redoubt; Arrbi's home was no different.

The room had small, slit-like windows set at regular intervals around the circular room and while the walls appeared to be made of finished lots and polished wood, the thick layer of reinforced duracrete sandwiched between the inside and outside walls told differently. Throughout the room were a wide variety of knickknacks, shelves, and other odds and ends set as the occasional decoration. Some were his, others were his wife's, but all had their own stories and histories. The fact that more than a few of them were weapons or armor was beside the point.

Before him on the table glowed the telltale light of a holoprojector. Normally, the module was offline and was rarely used as he and his wife often took any incoming calls wherever they were in the home. For this, though, he felt it was important to use the study. Not to leave any kind of impression, but half because he didn't feel like cleaning up the dining area and half because he didn't feel that a professional call needed to be taken with his and Anija's bedroom as a backdrop.

With luck, the holocall he was waiting for would arrive shortly. For the moment, he opted to sit quietly and attempted to remember if the tunic he was wearing was actually clean and not the one he wore yesterday.

[member="Darell Irani"]

Hira Mitsae

Ain't No Rest For The Wicked
[member="Arrbi Betna"]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]A man such as Darell Irani was always busy.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]Meetings, cutting of ribbons and more meetings, but a keen and enterprising mind always knew when to delay the usual in favor of something entirely [/SIZE][SIZE=10.6666666666667px]unusual.[/SIZE][SIZE=10.6666666666667px] Such as a request for a meeting from a high-ranking Mandalorian, or at least a Mandalorian who was acting as representative of such an entity.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]There were several ties that could be disconcerted.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]The Fringe and the Mandalorians had been long-time allies, before the Fringe fell. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]The Techno Union and the Mandalorians were neutral, too much space in between to bother with anything more or less.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]But there had been a mention of a supply contract for them and that had piqued Irani’s interest, so Betna did not have to wait for far too long before getting that call. If there was one thing Darell believed in it was courtesy towards all people.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]A blue iridescent silhouette projected itself into the room proper.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]“Mister Betna, a pleasure… [/SIZE][SIZE=10.6666666666667px]meeting[/SIZE][SIZE=10.6666666666667px] you.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]Then the businessman waited.[/SIZE]

"Likewise, Mr. Irani," Betna said with a polite nod towards the holo before him.

The Mandalorians were a practical people. Why invest in a multihundred or thousand credit, high tech machine that plowed acres of land at a time when a few work animals could do it just as well without breakdowns or expensive replacement parts, albeit more slowly? Why rely on heavily advanced weapons that could kill silently when a quiet knife in the dark did the trick? Why rely on a lightsaber that could fail when immersed in water or exposed to an EMP when slugthrowers, fists, and simple edged weapons were available?

There was an exception to the rule, however. One that Betna tended to follow more so than other Mandalorians in this day and age. If it was high tech, advanced, but practical... why not?

Iron Crown tended to produce such things. In fact, many companies did nowadays. What set Iron Crown apart from many others was some of the things the produced specifically rather than what they made in general.

"I'm glad you were able to respond so quickly to me," he continued politely, amiably. "Normally, it takes a bit longer to get a response for a supply contract. You'll have to forgive me, this is somewhat surprising and atypical of many companies I've ordered from or worked with before."

[member="Darell Irani"]

Hira Mitsae

[member="Arrbi Betna"]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]A nod came to accept the veiled question.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]Perhaps Irani was reading into it, but it seemed to him that Betna wished to know why he had been contacted so soon, why he hadn’t been put on a month-long waiting list just to get an appointment set and instead was welcomed with the face of the CEO in charge immediately.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]One could put that as simple keen business sense or a way of courteous behavior.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]Both of which were not necessarily untrue, but there was always more to it than that.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]“The Mandalorian people are notoriously secluded when it comes to dealing with outside corporate influences.” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]They already had their own manufacturers and companies that could do almost anything, besides perhaps the more technological high-tech gear - which they did not need most of the times. Ovmar had felt this when he had tried to broker a deal with the then Mand’alor. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]Build me roads, bridges. Construct me lanes and stations. Improve the infrastructure of the Mandalorian people. We have guns, what we need is economical prosperity.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]Those had been the words of Gilamar, and such was the way that Ovmar had decided to approach the Mandalorians.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]“The support of Mia Monroe has given my company [/SIZE][SIZE=10.6666666666667px]some[/SIZE][SIZE=10.6666666666667px] in’s, Vilaz Munin’s support has made it a little easier to deal with your people after Monroe’s departure.” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]A shrug.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]“Suffice to say that the Mandalorian people have my respect and that anything I can do to support them would be negotiable.”[/SIZE]

Betna nodded once as he mulled the CEO's statements over for a moment.

"Then let me cut straight to the meat of the matter," he said, meeting the typical expectations of the Mandalorian people. No beating around the bush, no extended chitchat over non-essential things. Straight to the point. "Iron Crown makes a certain module that I wish to purchase a supply contract for. The Peregrine module, the one that interacts directly with shields. I don't need many, just enough and in a decent supply. What needs to be done to make that possible?"

The module in question did more than interact with shields. It bypassed them entirely. It wasn't a weapon, at least in the sense of firing a projectile or launching electromagnetically contained plasma, but instead was a module that could be attached to ships. Ships armed with such a module could go anywhere with relative impunity, something that Betna would need for the ships he planned to construct.

[member="Darell Irani"]

Hira Mitsae

[member="Arrbi Betna"]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]The Peregrine module… [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]Oh, Irani was fully aware of what that particular module did. One of the finest products Iron Crown had ever made… and also one of the most restricted ones for a variety of reasons. It was a dangerous module and if [/SIZE][SIZE=10.6666666666667px]anything[/SIZE][SIZE=10.6666666666667px] went wrong? People could die.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]Which is why you couldn’t just find it in any store, the lawsuits would clog up the entirety of his day then. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]Besides that? Giving people - people he did not know - the ability to pass through shields? It was a tricky question, and part of Darell wished to just shut down the conversation right there and then, but then… there was that little voice in the back of his head.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]A tusked silhouette with a twinkle of mischief in the eyes.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]Chaos, Irani. Is that not what this is all about?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]“A curious request, mister Betna.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]And Darell had a very good idea on what the Mandalorians would do with these modules. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]“Mere credits would not be enough, you understand.” he would finally add cautiously, before cutting straight to the chase as well. “But… [/SIZE][SIZE=10.6666666666667px]hmm[/SIZE][SIZE=10.6666666666667px], if you and your wife act as patrons for my business within the Mandalorian territories? I would be far more willing to take a risk in exchange.”[/SIZE]

It was an unusual request. At least, unusual in most regards. Betna had figured such a request may come up in negotiations, but figured others would have a higher priority. Many companies sought access to the Mandalorian territories. For most, it was highly profitable territory, at least in theory. Betna could think of perhaps a handful of business owners who would give their right appendage for such a thing. For Iron Crown to want access to Mando space wasn't unusual or surprising, simply... unexpected this early on in negotiations or time frame.

Perhaps Betna would need to be a little more wary of the corporate world. At least, in most regards.

"Patrons," echoed Betna, leaning back slightly in his seat as he thought. "You'll have to explain that one a bit more clearly, I think. I'm sure you're looking for more than just making sure we put the proper logos on things and open a gift shop on the side."

Mandalorians could have a sense of humor. Especially when a modicum of respect is earned.

[member="Darell Irani"]

Hira Mitsae

[member="Arrbi Betna"]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]“Fairly straight-forward, really.” Darell would say with a smile, it seemed that Mandalorians could have humor every once in a while. Ardik would never be able to live that one down, not in a million years and that would be so worth it. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]“A few years ago my predecessor, Jared Ovmar.” [/SIZE][SIZE=10.6666666666667px]you might have heard of him, tall guy, fingers in every pie and the Lord of the Fringe. A man of note, perhaps. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.6666666666667px]“Had a discussion with the late Gilamar Skirata, together they had been planning on revitalizing the infrastructure of the Mandalorians.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]“The Mandalorians have guns, he said.” Irani quoted. “What they do not have is a company dedicated towards the uplifting of their territories, repair and revitalize infrastructure. Strengthen their economy and give the Mandalorians jobs outside of mercenaries and wars.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]A shrug.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]“It was a beautiful idea, but with his passing… this is a concept far off in the future. If you and yours support my corporations, we could start slowly and see where we can go. Gallos was only one example of what a partnership could do for the both of us.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]He was referring to the arrival of Eridium Industrial and their construction of mining facilities and space stations; the first step towards a wide distribution network for ores and other resources.[/SIZE]

"Doable," he said after a moment. "I never knew Mand'alor Skirata very well or much at all, honestly, but that sounds like him."

Sure, the Mandos could use something outside of fighting, guns, and war supplies to work in. All Mandalorians were required to know how to fight and how to survive, but that didn't mean that they were all mercenaries and bounty hunters. For every Mandalorian in armor off fighting someone else's war, maybe a dozen more resided on Mandalore working a farm, repairing a speeder, or prescribing medication to a sick child.

"Right now we'll need medicine," Betna said abruptly after a moment or two's thought. "Medicine and medical supplies. The Protectors have contracts for bacta and the Kolcta tabs, but the Mandalorians as a whole will need medical supplies. We don't have any use for luxury items and we're self sufficient on food, but things like medications, painkillers, and even things like bandages we're going to need with this war going on. If you can promise to prioritize that in the Mandalorian worlds as well as supplying those modules to the Protectors, then you'll have your patronage."

[member="Darell Irani"]

Hira Mitsae

[member="Arrbi Betna"]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]Saiba Group did not have a [/SIZE][SIZE=10.6666666666667px]dedicated[/SIZE][SIZE=10.6666666666667px] pharmaceutical component to it, but Darell had always been an enterprising soul, this entire meeting only made this much more clear. He doubted that Betna had been expecting this kind of conversation after only asking for a few modules, but that was the way of things when it came to dealing with Irani.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]His friends and associates had learned to simply accept it and allow themselves to be swept away into whirlwind of operations, ideas and sheer audacity the businessman displayed. In this way he was much the same as Ovmar.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]“I will make some moves, you will have your medical supplies.” he simply stated after a moment of thought, he already had a few ideas in mind on where to contract out the materials. It was a good thing to have so many friends and contacts sometimes. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]“I am also going to be giving you a list of companies, mister Betna.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]A slight tilt of the head with a knowing smile.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]“Companies that should be treated as non-existent, when you test out those modules.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]Darell wasn’t an idiot, he knew exactly what the Mandalorians were going to use them for, he might not be aware that it had been the Protectors who had been trying to hit Teta. But there is only so much things a small team of operatives could do with shield-passing technology.[/SIZE]

"I'm not completely sure what you mean by that statement, Mr. Irani, but I'll keep that in mind," Betna said, his face deadpan. Just because one was used to hiding one's face behind a helmet didn't mean one couldn't keep their facial expressions fully under control. "These are for combat search and rescue operations behind enemy lines. Nevertheless, I'll hold onto the list. Never know when someone may try to take refuge in a corporate hangar or some such."

Betna filed the list away for later use and review. He wasn't quite lying in his statement about the purpose of the module. The ships in question could be used in such a manner, but they both knew that wasn't the primary purpose of the thing. Such was the way of the corporate world.

"I expect we'll see the first shipment in the near future, then," he said after he finished saving the proper files. "In the meantime, I'll start shifting things around to get you that patronage you require. It shouldn't take more than perhaps a week, maybe two. Mainly just to find the proper locations to have your company purchase or rent warehouses to ship in supplies. Unless you have anything else, that was all I needed and I would hate to keep you from your other duties and tasks."

[member="Darell Irani"]

Hira Mitsae

[member="Arrbi Betna"]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]A final nod.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]“Acceptable, mister Betna. I will leave you to it then.” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.6666666666667px]And with that done, Irani logged out of the conversation. [/SIZE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom