Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Vertical City

Corvus smiled. It was a tough question for someone that knew little of the Order, but it was interesting to hear his initial thoughts.

They reached the hangar where the ship was docked and received word that Diego had already left for Ossus. This was no bad thing. Corvus showed Aitis around the ship and sat him in front of a computer. "Learn about the Code. I'll prep the ship and get us into hyperspace. Once you think you have a basic understanding of the Code, join me in the cockpit and we can chat about it."

[member="Aitis Powarth"]

Aitis sat and began to read, slowly. He poured over the words with a slow, deliberate and ferocious intent. These words would shape his life if he went through with this. They would be the light that guided his every action. The guidelines that both formed and carried his thoughts. It was important he give them perhaps more attention than anything ever before had received in his life.

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.
—The Jedi Code (Based on the meditations of Odan-Urr)

It seemed like the code had changed, from mantra to maxim and even more on occasion, but had always boiled down to 5 or so basic tenants. Sometimes the fourth bit about Chaos and Harmony was left out, he noted.. Much of the philosophy focused on conquering character flaws like arrogance, defeatism, stubbornness, recklessness and more... A curious thing. No one could truly hope to remove all these sorts of things and remove them completely, so he determined the Code and it's subsequent interpretations must be guidelines... Adhere to them as closely as one could, but realize that you can not follow them 100% to the letter, and instead judge your actions based on how close they align with the various precepts of the Code. Sort of like a bubble-level seeking balance on an uneven plane.

He wasn't sure how long he took, but eventually he shifted his focus to the various interpretations, trying to find one that resonated with him. This perhaps took even longer.. He had a feeling Corvus wanted his interpretations of this Code, and he tried to honestly weigh it in his mind as the time slipped by. Finally, he rose and set off to find her in the cockpit, his face still bearing a look of contemplation as he leaned against the door and nodded, announcing his arrival with a slight clearing of his throat and a nod.

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

Corvus smiled as her new Padawan came forward into the cockpit. He'd been studying hard and that was all she could ask for.

"I have two or three questions, so take your time and don't think I'm looking for a right answer. Tell me what you think, what it says to you. If we need to review some of your understanding, that is absolutely fine."

"So tell me, which line of the Code resonates most with you and which gives you most cause for discomfort? And of course, it would help me if you shared why you think this way. And when I say discomfort for example, that could be because you don't understand it or you do understand it but don't like what it's saying to you."

[member="Aitis Powarth"]

Sighing, the miralukan shook his head, and smiled genuinely for once before replying to Corvus.

"Honestly, Master... I think the one that resonates the most is the one people seem to leave out. 'There is no Chaos, there is Harmony'.... It seems like much of the struggle to being a Jedi is putting oneself in harmony with the will of the Force, and acting in accordance with it... But it is also the most difficult, as it requires a subverting of self to a greater ideology, perhaps more so than even the other tenets of the Order do... But to me, it is most important... If you are at one with the will of the Force, Then the other parts of the Code should flow more naturally and regularly."

Here he paused, thinking. This last one he had considered, and there were two really, but he had to chose one... And if he had to, he supposed this would be the one.

"One that confuses me, and perhaps because it doesn't make sense to me, is the tenet 'There is no ignorance, only knowledge'... Everyone starts in ignorance, of everything, it would seem. Ignorance of how to talk, walk, eat on their own and more. How can there be none when all are born to a state of it?"

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

Corvus nodded. "You have started with one that, if it were taken away would render the rest meaningless. Whereas most see the universe as a chaotic and disconnected place, a Jedi realises that all things are interconnected and, more importantly, interdependent. Others see sorrow and tragedy in the workings of the universe, through the Force, a Jedi is able to interpret and understand even the most painful of life's events. After all, how could I possibly forsake love and compassion if I did not understand the truth of the universe: there is no chaos, there is harmony. Every event has a purpose."

"As to the other you have chosen, the best way I can explain it is that a Jedi must try to understand the world that is surrounding him. That ignorance does not exist would be, of course, a gross misunderstanding. Ignorance is a part of life but it must not be feared. This tenet is what gives the Jedi his open mind and ability to accept what other beings would tend to see as unacceptable. We should use not only our rational mind but also our intuitive mind in order to ascertain the truth of a situation. As Master Qui-Gon Jinn once said, 'Feel, don't think.'"

"Is that making more sense?"

[member="Aitis Powarth"]

Aitis nodded as he listened, his head turned to where, if he had them, his eyes would have been riveted to Corvus. His expression was relaxed, almost smiling as she spoke. He still radiated unease and insecurity, but they were buried, trying to be replaced be confidence and assurance. As she spoke on, he drummed his left hand's fingers over the doorway, contemplating.

"I suppose you're right about ignorance... Sometimes our experience, our 'knowledge' can predispose us to be blinded to a certain situation... When we feel, and trust in the Force.... We are less likely to be taken away in our own preconceived misconceptions."

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

"The greatest challenge many older Padawans face is the Jedi concept of emotion and attachment. We all have emotions, don't be fooled by anyone who says we don't. But we don't give into them. It's that simple," she laughed lightly. "And of course that difficult at the same time. And attachments are similar. If you love someone enough that you could not bear to lose them, that would affect your performance as a Jedi. I say this as you mentioned having a sister. One day she may be in danger and in helping her you put more lives at risk. A Jedi knows what to do in those circumstances. I suspect that logically too, you know what the correct answer should be. But I would not expect it to come naturally yet. But one day it will."

"Some think that makes Jedi heartless. Perhaps they are right. But we are selfless and that is our way." She paused for a few seconds before smiling.

"But enough of that, we're almost at Ossus. Tell me, what sort of training would you like to start with?"

[member="Aitis Powarth"]

Aitis paused, and for once he seemed shaken. He chewed at his lip, sweat beading on his brow before he took in a breath. Slow wind hissed between his lips as he took on an almost forced feeling calm.

"My sister was taken when I was fourteen by hutt slavers, along with my mother. I am not even sure they are alive. I buried them in my heart and mind more than a few years ago.... And I know that there is nothing I myself, even as a jedi, could do to free them. I can best honor their memory, I suppose, by joining the Order and working to prevent such atrocities from happening further."

Here he stopped, rolling his arms and shoulders and cracking his knuckles as he head shifted his 'gaze' towards his new master.

"As for training.... I'm not really sure.... I suppose learning how to consciously use the Force would be the most logical."

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

Corvus listened. She hadn't seen her family since she was four - but it was for entirely different reasons. He was dealing with the loss well, better than most she had met - but that didn't make the pain any easier to bear.

Glad to shift the subject back to studies, Corvus thought for a few seconds. "Not where I'd usually start, but meet me tomorrow and I can show you all about Meditation. From here, the path to learning Force abilities will be much more fruitful." She avoided saying easier. Nothing worth having was ever easy. Being a Jedi was hard work. Rewarding for sure, but tough too.

[member="Aitis Powarth"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom