Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Representative (Private)

Thank you for your interest in Leoncrest Enterprises. Our representative will visit you shortly to answer any questions you may have.

The missive was brief but welcome When Zeda Dublin had first put in for the contract, as a small businessman he never expected to receive any response from the weapons giant. To be informed that a representative of the company would be coming to his office to discuss matters - it was so exciting he had to have a stiff drink to calm his nerves. To earn the contract from Leoncrest, to manufacture parts for them - it would mean security not just for him, but for the twenty or so employees who relied on him. Zeda was sure he could convince the representative to award it to them.

And so, almost precisely seventy-two hours after receiving the missive, when his secretary informed him that Captain Leone and an associate were here, without an appointment, Zeda thought he might explode.

"It's fine, Mira!" he enthused over the comlink. "I'll be down shortly. Offer them refreshments." Captain Leone - that meant one of the family, here, in his office. Zeda waited until his hands stopped shaking before marching down to meet the representative.

In the foyer awaited two figures; a tall man in a suit who was investigating the wall as if it had personally offended him, and a pretty, buxom woman in a smart jacket who was studying the contents of a briefcase. He walked over to the man, his hand outstretched, professional expression stuck firmly onto his face.

"Captain Leone," he greeted warmly. "A pleasure to meet you. I trust Mira has offered you and your companion-" he glanced down at the woman and offered her a courteous smile "-adequate refreshments?"

The man was smiling. So was the woman, although her smile was devoid of any humour. She shut the briefcase with a snap that echoed around the foyer. Zeda took a step backwards without even realising it. As she rose, dread filled Zeda. The smart jacket was revealed, now that the briefcase was away, to be a military uniform, one with several medals displayed. The woman wore glasses with thin frames that accentuated her cold green eyes, and her smile never made it as far as them. She stood to attention and offered a textbook salute.

"Captain Ismene Leone, Mr Dublin. This is my personal assistant." She took his extended hand and shook it disdainfully. "I believe we have business to discuss."

Ismene took in the man before her. Short, balding and trying to cover it with a bad combover, considers himself to be charismatic. Somehow succeeded in developing a method of manufacturing necessary parts for a fraction of the cost. A pushover. She sighed, adjusting her glasses slightly to give her an excuse to let go of his hand. Not the most promising deal her parents had ever sent her on, and almost too easy.

"Let us discuss business," she said firmly, staring at Zeda until he began to usher herself and her assistant into an office.

The office was small and cramped. Ismene allowed her associate to sit, preferring to stand and examine every facet of the office until Zeda Dublin was fidgeting uncomfortably. She ignored two separate offers of refreshments, waiting until the man was breaking out in a sweat before beginning.

"Irrespective of your lapse and lack of decorum out there," she began, studying a picture on the wall, "your tender for our manufacturing contract was intriguing. Your proposals severely undercut our usual firms by a significant margin." Ismene turned her stare onto Zeda. "You claim to have found a new technique that will reduce our costs by a not inconsiderable amount. As promising as this is, we do have some concerns." She stood before the desk, towering over the uncomfortable manager.

"Your company is too small to meet our demands, Mr Dublin. If we were to award you the contract, given your new technique, we would expect you to handle all of it. Leoncrest Enterprises does not do things by halves, and we have no intention of manufacturing a mere portion of our parts at reduced price. It is all or nothing."

"All," Zeda echoed, "or nothing?"

"Precisely." Ismene removed her glasses, fixing Zeda with her most piercing stare, the same one she had used on sloppy privates who thought they could talk back to the captain. Zeda straightened up a little, looking nervous. "Your company cannot handle the contract. I am therefore here to offer you a choice."

Zeda was beginning to look hunted. His initial euphoria at hosting the heir to Leoncrest Enterprises was fading quickly, to be replaced by the beginnings of panic. "What sort of choice?"

"My associate here has the full details, and I will leave you some time with him to discuss them, but in it's most basic form, the choice is simple. We will purchase your company and manufacturing technology and absorb them into our business model. The new technique will be rolled out across all our factories and you will receive a modest licensing fee. You will remain as manager of this branch, however ultimately you will answer to myself, to my parents, and to the board of executives."

Zeda studied this option and watched his livelihood, the company he had spent his life building up, disappearing.

"What's the other option?"

"My associate and I will leave, and we will not return. You will not be awarded the contract and Leoncrest Enterprises will not do business with you in future." Ismene accompanied this with a cold smile, well aware of how much money their business was worth to small firms such as this one.

"I will wait outside. My associate here will go over the fine print with you." She looked Dublin over, noticed how pale he was. Good. "I trust you will make the right decision."

Ismene walked out, ignoring the anxious receptionist, and stepped outside. She pulled a datapad out of her briefcase and reread the missive from her father. Acquire the information at any costs.

Whistling tunelessly, Ismene began to stroll around the small factory, her sharp eyes taking everything in.

By the time Dublin had concluded his meeting, Ismene had seen everything she needed to, and compiled a list of recommendations for when she returned to head office. The security here was appalling, although it had meant it was easy for her to walk in and learn everything she needed to know about Zeda Dublin and his contract tender.

She was waiting outside his office, arms folded, when he emerged. Gone was the excitement he had initially shown, replaced by sadness and resignation. One look at her assistant told her everything she needed to know.

"I'm glad you've seen things our way," she said coolly. "It will take some time to go through officially, of course, but as an interim measure I will be sending some security to assist you in patrolling the grounds. As it is, anyone can just walk in and take a look at the methods you seem so proud of." Zeda looked up, registering what she had said.

"You mean you-"

"You've made the right choice." Ismene cut him off before he could try and work himself into a righteous rage. "Welcome to Leoncrest Enterprises, Mr Dublin." She extended her hand and received a weak handshake for her troubles. "My associate here will remain on site to ensure things progress smoothly." Ismene nodded at her companion and turned her back on the defeated man. He had no need to know what was planned for his small, dingy factory. He'd find out soon enough anyway.

Ismene was glad to board her shuttle and leave the miserable planet behind. She sent a brief message to her parents to confirm she had been successful, then settled down at the controls. It was a long flight back to Byss, and she had several stops to make on the way.

A message coming through brought a small smile to her face. Well done, darling. Three words, an empty endearment, and yet it was enough to warm her. After all, it was the best she was likely to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom