Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Priestess Discovered, The balance of good and evil I PM for details

ruining-992x411.jpg

'Lord Shiva is the Creator, Destroyer, and Preserver of the Universe--Both Terrible and Gentle, she contains both good and evil. To maintain the balance between the opposing forces of good and evil she blesses her devotees with grace and knowledge, peace, and protects them from evil around."
-Tarunx3
The sound of blaster fire and bombs resounded in the streets. It was a bloody coup attempt in Zolan's lake state of Halathafas. The military had already seized the senate building, the news, and had control of most of the streets in the first week. In the second the remains of the government were fighting with what little strength and force they had left to maintain a tenure of weak control. By week three, full martial law had been inacted.

There were murmurs of peace talks. The possibility of--well an end to this very uncivil power play. But that was when the executions started. No longer were the surviving citizens allowed to live in peace, cowering in fear in their homes. To put pressure on the remains of the government, the General Zokarus, a patriot for the Changlings, was dragging civilians into the streets and having them executed. Humans.

That was when they called Ardgal. The general, with his four hundred commandos made a gloriously grand entrance into the city, HALO diving in from low orbit. It was a risky but direct maneuver, the best kind.

The kind that sent a message.

The kind a god used.

The kind Ardgal was best at.

He landed in one of the streets, his men peppering the battle-worn cityscape with him, "Focus on eliminating all things with a uniform. Try to take the hard targets if you can, let's end this quickly and as painlessly as we can. Move, move, move."

[member="Taara Sehko"]

"Marsya, stay with your father! Kayda, Allesan keep together!"
Taara hurriedly walked/ran with the remainder of the group. She, her family, and several other families were the last to evacuate from the East District. It would've been sooner. But her husband Peran had refused to leave until he had assisted others in escaping. He had been one of the only advocates for the people that had remained neutral during the entirety of the uprising. He was a known politician of the Senate, which made many rally behind his cause. But when homes started being destroyed, he knew that it would be best to evacuate the city. For the past three days, he had been making sure that thousands of people had made it to safety. Taara had refused to leave his side despite his efforts to persuade her otherwise. His children were just as stubborn as their mother.​
So, here they were, fleeing as the fight finally reached their residential district. The gunshots sounded so close. They could hear yelling, and feel the energy and smell the smoke. Taara held tightly to Kayda's hand. There was a shuttle nearby waiting to take everyone to safety, but it wouldn't wait forever.​
Her nine-year-old daughter clutched onto her arm. The small silver bracelet she wore was digging into her wrist from her mother's grip. Allesan was close behind them, looking back to make sure his father was following behind. Marsya was hugging her father's neck with a little stuffed doll in her hand, hiding her face in his shoulder.​
Finally, the shuttle was in sight. As other families loaded on, Taara and Peran began reading to board with their children. Peran handed Marsya to Taara as he helped Allesan climb onto the craft. Kayda looked off to the side a moment.​
"MOMMY!!--"
Her scream was silenced as the shuttle exploded in a cloud of fire and smoke. Taara was violently thrown backward. Her vision blurred as smoke began to cover the sky above her. There was nothing but ringing in her ears. Then, everything faded to black as she lost consciousness.​
[member="Ardgal Raxis"]​

The fresh sound of blaster and gun fire filled the air as Alpha Company tore through the city.

Ardgal stormed through the street with god-like poise. His boots crunched through the stone and dust that littered the steet. This was his temple. His place of worship. This was his threshing floor where he metted out justice and rid the galaxy of oppression.

A hover tank rolled into the main street, right into their path. Ardgal jumped for cover behind a half-crushed building, Rancor squad hot on his heels. "Wait for the first shot. Then we will take the tank."

"Yes sir," came the short, curt replies.

The sound of a laser cannon firing filled the air, followed by an earth-shattering roar from two streets over. Ardgal and his men stormed the armored vehicle, clamboring for it and popping the top off it. Inside the tank crew put up a weak but honorable fight. They had heart, Ardgal could give them that.

With the threat neutralized, the general looked to the damaged zone. What remained of a civilian transport was rolling up in an inferno, melting and devouring itself with rage. Bodies of several families lay scattered on the ground. Shrapnel had carve through them like a butcher's knife. Their crimson blood tainted what was left of the walls, streets, and debris. All that remained of the husks of bodies was burned almost beyond recognition.

The general slowly walked through the carnage. Pity and pangs of regret flooded his body as he saw some of the now deceased children. I could have stopped this, he realized. I could have saved them all. He stopped and knelt down to a small girl. Her charred face was forever frozen in a look of shock. A look Ardgal knew he would see in his nightmares for the rest of his life. With gentle gloved hands he closed her eyes, putting her to rest. He scooped up the burning doll cluched in her blackened hands and snuffed out the fire.

"Bring body bags," Ardgal ordered, forcing his voice neutral. "We will give them a proper burial."

"Sir, this woman," one of the soldiers interjected, "She's still alive."

"And a med shuttle, stat," Ardgal added.

The war would wait for a moment. A moment of humanity. To many it didn't matter how many died or who as long as they got power. It was collateral damage. But to Ardgal, the God of war, it mattered to honor the fallen and respect the living. Especially when they were civilians caught in the cross fire.

The hospital was mostly still standing through the conflict around it. It's west and north wings had been all but destroyed through stray shots and collateral damage but the medical center still stood there, a beacon of healing. Alpha Company aquisitioned it from the local gang that had seized control. Victims of the coup were rapidly being brought in for medical care. Ardgal ushered the damaged woman's body in on the gurney.

"I want her to have full medical care. She will recover," Ardgal ordered. "I'm not asking."

"Yes sir, we will see to it," one of the doctors said with a gulp.

The general looked at her battered body and gently pulled a small silver bracelet from her mangled hand. She would want it later he was sure, "Go. Now. I have a war to win."

[member="Taara Sehko"]

One week later
Peran's eyes were always a wonderful shade of warm hazel. His hair was golden, like the sun. His voice was kind and soft. Taara could see him so clearly now. It was just like the day they married.
"You're so beautiful," He murmured to her, his hand gently caressing her cheek.
Marsya and Kayda laughed as they played together. Allesan played his flute. He was getting very good with it...
"It's time for us to go..." Peran whispered.
"We love you..."
----------------------------------
Taara's eyes opened. There was an ache in her chest with each breath she took. There was what looked to be a bacta device beside her. She glanced down at herself to see many bandages and a white gown where her clothing once was.​
This was the same as it had been a few hours ago. Nothing had changed. She didn't know where she was, or what had happened. Only that she was in a hospital of some kind and that there was a battle going on outside. Her husband... Her children...​
Taara pulled herself into a sitting position, wincing from the pain of the action. She was alone. For the first time in all her life, she was alone...​
[member="Ardgal Raxis"]​

The general finally lowered himself to sit into the armory. His helmet disconnected from the cyborg implant in his head with a painful but familiar twang. He set the bucket aside on the nearby bench. Blood splatters rimmed it on several sides. The army's resistance had proven to be..... Challenging. Every hour of daylight was spent on a hunter-killer search that swept from building to building, room to room.

The general looked down at his gauntleted hands for a moment before shaking it off. He was worn from this "simple" insurection that seemed to have no end. He was a god of war but one who did not delight in bloodshed. Piece by piece he climbed out of his heavy power armor until only the tight black bodyglove remained that hung tightly to his thickly muscled frame. He pulled on a white dress shirt and casual jeans, his prefered attire when he wasn't in his armor.

Ardgal made his way to the cafeteria. Two cups of caf later, he was beginning to feel the weariness of battle fall from his broad shoulders.

"Su'cuy, vod," said a familiar voice as Ardgal was retrieving his third.

The general turned and offered the soldier a smile. "Su'cuy, Virgil. Glad to see your in good spirits."

"You should be too," Virgil said grabbing his own cup. "Remember that civilian you rescued?"

"Yes. The woman?"

"She's awake. Why are you so interested?"

Ardgal pat the man on the shoulder. "Every soul matters, son. Never forget that."

"Right, sir. Of course."

Paper cup in hand, the general made his way up the two stories and three hallways to her bedside. Humanity and droids moved through the building in a flow of work, both military and civilian alike. They were all on the same side and they all wanted this to be over as soon as possible.

When he came to her bedside Ardgal offered her a warm and cordial smile. It was the first time he had been off duty while she was conscious.

"Good morning," he said with an equal mix of cheerfulness and politeness. "Or good evening I should say. My name is Ardgal Raxis, I'm right now the leader of the local government--or what's left of it. I pulled you off the battlefield after the coup hit your shuttle. It's nice finally meet you in person."

The general pulled up a chair and sat down. "I hope the staff have been condusive to your recovery. Is there anything I can get for you?"

[member="Taara Sehko"]

Taara's eyes fell on the man who had come into see her. She heard what he was saying, but at the same time, she didn't. She seemed to be looking right through him.​
".... Are they dead?...."
Her voice was so soft it was difficult to hear her. She knew the answer to the question. But it hadn't fully sunken in for her mind yet.​
[member="Ardgal Raxis"]​

Over 400 men and women looked up to him as a general, and a leader. As a general he knew that there was loss, that there would always be loss. Every time a soldier fell he personally broke the news to the family with a heavy heart. He attended the services. He personally laid flowers on the headstone.

But it never got easier.

He placed a reassuring hand on her own, he licked his lips searching for something comforting to say, "The explosion, it was painless, I had the guilty party brought to justice on the spot."

He diverted his eyes. What else was there to say? He couldn't say they died bravely, or that it had meant anything like he could when the soldiers died under his command. There was nothing he could give except--

"We managed to pull their bodies from the wreckage," he said with a swallow or what was left of them, He thought to himself with a nightmarish vivid image of the act, "I will help you have a service, if you would have me."

[member="Taara Sehko"]

".... Why?"
Taara's blank gaze remained unphased.​
".... The bodies are nothing but shells. They won't care. They're gone...."
Her calmness was altogether unnerving. There was a building tension in her eyes and her words, as if she might snap. Whatever was going on with her at this moment, it was extremely fragile.​
[member="Ardgal Raxis"]​

Taara Sehko said:
".... Why?"
The question was cold, analytical, and for Ardgal, he couldn't see the underlying thing that was spoken but not said. He pulled his hand back and folded them together. He took a deep breath, gathering his thoughts to form an answer. As he gazed into those frail, hurting eyes he would have rather fought against a company of blood-thirsty gliterstim addicts wielding bloody knives looking for their fix than that pain. Than to have to try and provide the answer for her.

But he had spent his whole life inspiring, motivating, and being a leader to those around him, it was impossible for him to do otherwise.

"Because it will help," he answered softly, "It will help you to feel the weight gone. And because you loved them."

[member="Taara Sehko"]

Her head slowly turned until she was facing straight ahead of her. She didn't feel weight. She felt an ache bound into her chest. It wasn't from the wound there, however. But most of all, she felt... Empty. As if she was dead too.​
"There is no weight. There is no love. There is nothing here anymore."
Taara blinked a bit, folding her hands neatly in her lap and continuing to stare straight ahead of her.​
"There's no need to help what isn't there..."
[member="Ardgal Raxis"]

He blinked. Twice. There was something unnerving about her calm. Maybe it was that she was trying to save face, or maybe it was that he wasn't the right thing for her right now. But, either way, he had no clue what was happening. If had been a psychology major like his writer--well he would have understood Freud, repression, denial, and all that other fancy lingo that the head doctors used. Huh, too bad Ardgal never went to college.

He was unsure what to do next, part of him said stay, the other told him that he had other things and other people who needed him. It was a battle he wasn't sure how to fight or what side he stood on. The general had one more play to go for, one more thing up his sleeve.

"Can you walk?" he asked offering one of his hand calloused hands, "I would like to show you something."

[member="Taara Sehko"]

Could she walk? Taara looked down at her legs. She wiggled her toes slightly. She could still feel them.​
"I believe so..."
Slowly, she took Ardgal's hand and attempted to get to her feet. She had to lean on him a bit heavily.​
[member="Ardgal Raxis"]​

The General gripped her hand and anchored it to help pull her up. His other arm helped guide and cradle her up by wrapping around small of her back. All of the sudden he became very very aware of how small and frail she was. Most of the women he had met were well muscled, warrior type amazon women. His mother could have passed for a body builder, any front line female soldier wasn't the trim, petite type or the overly buxom type that the pin ups tried to make them out to be. They were warriors. Strong.

Taara here... wasn't. Ardgal had to be careful to not damage her on accident as he helped her rise. He wasn't sure how he felt about that, whether to be afraid, tense, pensive or--what.

He offered a slightly awkward smile, one that clearly said he wasn't used to helping pretty blue females out of beds, "How is that?"

[member="Taara Sehko"]

"Show me what you need to show me."
Taara continued staring ahead. She was distant... She wasn't even fully aware that Ardgal was here. Everything about her mind was scattered and in disarray. Much like the debris of a ship floating endlessly through space.​
Walking was slow and a bit tedious. Her muscles were still recovering after all. But whether there was any pain or not, Taara didn't seem to notice or care. She was silent as they walked out of the room and down the hallways.​
[member="Ardgal Raxis"]​

He led her through the halls into his private armory. The god of war was so extensive in his armor, weapons, and choice of death dealing arts that required his own room to storing them. The choices were--exotic to say the least, ranging from simple daggers to complex rocket launchers and personal flechette cannons. His armor stood in the corner, still waiting for him to clean it from the previous patrol. The lights offered a soft blue glow that almost would have been calming if it wasn't for the weapons that adorned the walls.

Ardgal opened one of the lockers on the far side of the wall. He reached on the top shelf and retrieved a small silver bracelet and the remains of the teddy charred girl's doll. It had been well preserved, except for the fire damage that it sustained initially. He returned to Taara and offered them both to her.

"This was found in your hand, when we found you," he said offering the silver jewelry, "I can assume that it was--something--important, I held onto it for safe keeping," he offered the doll, "This was held by the young girl we found amid the blast zone. I--I--I figured you would want this," he said extending it as well.

[member="Taara Sehko"]

The silver bracelet gleamed a bit beneath the lights. Where had she seen it before? Taara stared at it a few moments, trying to remember.​
That was... A girl's bracelet. What was her name?...​
Kayda. Yes. Kayda's bracelet.​
Her daughter's bracelet....​
Her eyes then moved to the doll. A plush little thing, with long golden hair and two yellow buttons for eyes. But... only one eye remained. Most of the hair was matted and as black as half of the body.​
This belonged to a little girl as well.​
Marsya. Her little Marsya....​
Taara slowly came closer to Ardgal, her eyes locked on the doll now. Her eyes had widened a bit and her mouth had fallen slightly ajar. She took the toy in her hands. Very gently she stroked what little remained of its soft blonde locks. Marsya's hair had been this color. Like Peran's...​
"Oh dear... Marsya's going to miss you terribly. She only just got you a month ago..."
She spoke absently, continuing to stroke the doll's hair.​
[member="Ardgal Raxis"]​

Ardgal didn't know how to react--should he comfort her? Say something nice? Remain quiet and let her have this holy moment to herself? He didn't have anything to go off of for this sort of thing, loosing ungrown children wasn't something he was familiar with, he didn't even have any daytime holodramas to draw inspiration from.

But he watched and saw the revelation slowly dawn on her of who's they had been--and who they were. It was like watching someone remember themselves. He wasn't sure how anyone could forget their children. He didn't have any of course, but he had soldiers who did. Their children were their lives it seemed. Their families, their all. How could you forget that? Why would you want to, he wondered.

"I--I am sure she would want you to hold on to it," he said at last, finding words to say. "To remember her," he dug down deep and tried to put what he wanted to say into existence. The words came out slowly, one at a time in a near hesitant manner, "I know what its like--to loose someone. Not children, but family still. Its not easy to lose them, or to find yourself alone suddenly. But the truth is that you can overcome, to live again. But its best to not do it alone, pain can twist a heart and make it crooked."

[member="Taara Sehko"]

Ardgal's voice was completely tuned out by Taara at this point. Her fingers kept feeling through the doll's hair a moment. She then reached over to take the bracelet.​
The silver was so cold. It had been warm when it was around Kayda's wrist.​
She gently felt along the metal with her fingertips. Too cold. It's too cold...​
With the doll and the bracelet still clutched in her hands, Taara turned and began walking out the door. It was a slow action seeing as how she still wasn't very good at walking yet.​
[member="Ardgal Raxis"]​

Uncertainty was a new experience for Ardgal--to say the least. He was a man of astounding certainty, even in the most uncertain times. It wasn't just because of his belief of being deity, but beyond that. It was who he was. People didn't look up to him just because he was good at what he did or that he was charismatic in his own way, but also because he cared and he was always certain and providing direction.

But now, well, he didn't know. And he didn't like that. He followed her out of his armory and closed the door, locking it with his bio-metric lock. That would do. He stood by awkwardly for another minute or two, pursing his lips and trying not to look as pained and uncomfortable as he felt.

"I will give you some privacy," he said at last. "If you need anything, call me. Tell one of the officers, soldiers, or doctors and they will find me."

He bowed his head to excuse himself and turned to go distract himself with war duties. It took a great deal of strength, time, and leadership to fight a war.

[member="Taara Sehko"]

Taara wandered slowly through the halls. People gave her many odd and concerned looks as she passed by. She didn't see anyone's face. She didn't pay any attention to where she was going. Her feet carried her down two floors.​
When the door opened to the last floor, she stopped.​
This room... It was different. There were several people moving throughout many tables. The tables were lined with... There was so many that some had to be on the floor. Some were even in piles. So many... Too many to count...​
Taara stared at one in particular. A charred little thing... It looked like a child's hand....​
"Ma'am! What are you doing here? How did you get out of bed?"​
One of the people who had been examining the tables rushed over, quickly taking Taara's arm and leading her away from the room's entrance. They blocked the entire scene from view.​
Taara was returned to her bed. This time, the person stayed at her bedside to make sure she didn't get up again. Taara didn't resist or even attempt to leave. She went back to staring at the doll and gently stroking it's pretty golden hair.​
[member="Ardgal Raxis"]​

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom