Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The point has already been made

Beowoof

Morality Policeman :)
Silara Vantai said:
Wiping out every last locust would result in no food source for an entire species that preys on them, which would starve them, and then that would starve their predators, and an ecological crisis would occur. See? I can twist "good" decisions into bad ones too. Semantics won't resolve this argument. The light side is "the better good" and the dark side is not. Sure, you can use the dark side "for good", but doing evil in the name of good is not good at all. That's all I'm trying to get at. In book canon it isn't that there is actually a potential for it to be good, it is that the characters are incapable of understanding that doing bad things with good intentions does not make them good. It makes them foolish and bad.
Exactly.

Good isn't the same as Right.

Oka Osaa

Fabula Cavataio said:
If you want to make a genuine discussion out of it (and I hesitate to do this, because we've already done this exact thread a dozen times), the fundamental definitions of the Light Side and Dark Side are a combination of the state of mind you're in when you use the Force and the intent for which you have at the time. The Light Side requires calmness of spirit and cannot normally be used for violent means, while the Dark Side requires a state of heightened emotion and is very frequently used for selfish means.

Whether or not this makes either one evil or good largely depends on how you decide to look at it. In-universe, there are several theories, and none of them is accepted as "correct" to the exclusion of others. It's an argument of opinion, which means there can be no satisfactory or concrete answer. If I believe that the Force is one big blob of interpretation that is as good or evil as it is used to be, and someone else believes that there are some aspects of the Force that are inherently good or evil, neither one of us can be "wrong" or "right." It's all opinion and theory.

Like...unless you're a movie!canon extremist. In which case the Dark Side is named so because it's evil and there's no room for interpretation.
I second this.

Being a work of fiction, there can be inherently evil things in Star Wars.

The Dark Side is one such thing. Sith may act seemingly for what could be well-intentioned reasons (Anakin and Dooku being the biggest examples), yet the Dark Side corrupts such intentions and clouds judgement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom