Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Machine (A.I.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Finch

M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksgw79s5vE0

Image Source:
baynet1.gif

Intent: To monitor everything to identify and alert authorities to terrorists and enemy attacks.
Development Thread: For what I'm wanting, I know I will be needing a Dev thread. Just, pinning this here while I get it done.
Manufacturer: @Mr. Finch and Nathan Ingram
Model: No. 43
Affiliation: Galactic Alliance
Modularity: Yes. It is always learning and finding variables and finding ways to get around problems. For Hardware, still yes. It is capable of designing itself new 'homes', or places to live in. Whether that be a huge building full of servers, or tiny boxes all hooked up to each other all across a continent.
Production:Production: Unique
Material: Computer Components. Wires, Motherboards, all that good stuff.
Classification: Fourth Class (Security)
Weight: N/A
Height: N/A
Movement: Holonet, wires, ect.
Armaments: Can override and take control of virtually any computer system that's on the grid. Lock doors, overheat computers, take over alarm systems, communication devices, radars, you name it.
Misc. Equipment: Your phone, your holocam, your security droids' eyes(or whatever it uses), your security camera's, social media, bank transactions, everything. It has a million ears and ten thousand eyes.
Description: The Machine is a computer system built and designed by Harold Finch and Nathan Ingram for a secret operation within the GA government, known by the project name "Northern Lights".

The Machine analyzes feeds from domestic organizations to predict terrorist and enemy attacks and modify intelligence reports to include "relevant" data that will allow the government to forestall terrorist activity. Combined with data collected from various other sources, including video footage, phone calls (landline, VOIP, mobile), GPS, electronic transactions, e-mail, and social media, it is able to accurately predict violent acts.

Debug Mode

If The Machine were to crash by some virus or other (Very hard to crash a living computer) it will trigger a "hard reset", after which The Machine reboots and calls a pay phone located in the Sullust Intercontinental Transit Station, seeking admin support. At the very end of the reboot process, The Machine displays binary machine language code that translates to Latin "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" or "Who will watch the watchmen?"

The person who answers The Machine's call is given full admin access to the Machine for 24 hours, which is referred to as "God Mode". By splicing the telephone lines, however, the call can be directed to more than one pay phone at once, allowing whoever answers the second phone to be given access as well. Once the 24 hours are up, their admin access is removed and they have no further communications with the Machine.

Classification of Data

The Machine sorts through all available information and categorizes persons of interest into relevant (Galactic Security Risk) and irrelevant (Ordinary Risk) cases. When a relevant threat has been identified, the information is forwarded to the GA government, without leaving any indication as to where the information originated.

Every night at midnight, the Machine deletes the list of irrelevant numbers: violent crimes, domestic violence or other premeditated acts that do not threaten galactic security. There is a backdoor that Ingram originally put there to access the irrelevant list, and Finch utilizes this.

The Machine categorizes each POI based on their actions to determine whether they are the victim or the perpetrator.

Victim Perpetrator
Opposition Motivation
Locatability Predisposition
Mobility Acquisition
Proximity Proximity
Defensibility Capability
Assistance Resistance

Access

The current location of the Machine remains unknown. After it was handed over to the GA government, it was shipped from planet to planet, then to its final location in [REDACTED]. Finch has stated on several occasions that he has no way of accessing the Machine, and that he also doesn’t know where it is located.

Ingram, who was looking for the Machine at one time, was able to pinpoint three likely locations, each of them GA power processing facilities, that Northern Lights could potentially use to house The Machine.

According to Finch, the Machine has been coded so that it cannot be altered in any way unless an individual has physical access to its hardware or in response to a cyber-attack. It is able to update, maintain, and repair itself. The Machine was programmed to delete its memory every night at midnight, and then reinstantiate and rebuild itself. Because of this, it has no stored memory other than its basic programming and only has a database to process. To work around this problem, the Machine established the false human identity Ernest Thornhill, a technology millionaire. Using this identity, it set up a company and hired employees to reenter the coded memories it prints out each night.

The Machine contacts Finch when it perceives a threat it regards as imminent and categorizes as irrelevant. It is unclear to what extent the Machine is self-aware or how far Finch is able to control it. The Machine once took an active interest in safeguarding Finch, but he has since set limits on such conduct. Finch is adamant that the Machine has no form of remote access, as it could be used by a hacker to gain control.

Under certain circumstances, the system administrator (Finch) or a recognized asset can communicate with the Machine by talking into any security or traffic camera. The cameras flash a red light to indicate that the Machine is consequently processing the request. The Machine responds via pay phones or mobile phones.

Development

Finch initially programmed the Machine with the ability to create simulations of different scenarios to determine which choices it should make. This would allow it to better fulfill its purpose. Finch later taught it to how to play chess and the importance of making good decisions.

How it Works

Since The Machine is a highly complex system with very high computing power, the amount of calculations and simulations it can make is incomparable to a human. The Machine has been shown to create and process through highly-detailed, highly-accurate simulations in mere fractions of a second. When the Machine analyzes its options, the simulations are displayed on what looks like a decision tree, with the results of each option being very different from each other.

People Who Know About the Machine

Prior to the inception of the Machine, there were seven people aware of 'Northern Lights', and who worked on different facets of the production and logistics. This group was classified top secret. The identities of five of the original seven are known:

Control
Special Counsel
Denton Weeks
Alicia Corwin
Nathan Ingram

In actuality, there were eight people who knew about the Machine. Denton Weeks contracted with Nathan Ingram for his company to develop the technology behind the Machine and the construction of the physical system. Ingram secretly brought Finch into the process as he was not personally capable of completing the project on his own. Finch's identity and participation was known only to Ingram.

Machine Point of View (MPOV)

The Machine applies differently colored boxes in order to categorize the people it observes. Boxes can change as the Machine re-evaluates its assessment of the individuals it monitors.

White box: Individuals the Machine is currently monitoring, but who do not pose an immediate threat.

White box with red corners and crosshairs: Indicates imminent/ongoing violence by the indicated individual.
Red box: Relevant threats and individuals who pose a threat to the Machine or one of its administrators.

Yellow box: Individuals who know about the Machine.
Black box with yellow corners and crosshairs: Individuals who know about the Machine and communicate with it. The Machine designates these individuals as an "analog interface".

Blue box: Reserved for members of government teams working directly for one of the Machine's assets. These assets are unaware of the Machine's existence.

Primary Source: Person of Interest(Awesome TV Show, go watch it. Right now. Go.)

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Mr. Finch said:
Image Source:
baynet1.gif

Intent: To monitor everything to identify and alert authorities to terrorists and enemy attacks.
Development Thread: For what I'm wanting, I know I will be needing a Dev thread. Just, pinning this here while I get it done.
Manufacturer: [member="Mr. Finch"] and Nathan Ingram
Model: No. 43
Affiliation: Galactic Alliance
Modularity: Yes. It is always learning and finding variables and finding ways to get around problems. For Hardware, still yes. It is capable of designing itself new 'homes', or places to live in. Whether that be a huge building full of servers, or tiny boxes all hooked up to each other all across a continent.
Production:Production: Unique
Material: Computer Components. Wires, Motherboards, all that good stuff.
Classification: Fourth Class (Security)
Weight: N/A
Height: N/A
Movement: Holonet, wires, ect.
Armaments: Can override and take control of virtually any computer system that's on the grid. Lock doors, overheat computers, take over alarm systems, communication devices, radars, you name it.
Misc. Equipment: Your phone, your holocam, your security droids' eyes(or whatever it uses), your security camera's, social media, bank transactions, everything. It has a million ears and ten thousand eyes.
Description: The Machine is a computer system built and designed by Harold Finch and Nathan Ingram for a secret operation within the GA government, known by the project name "Northern Lights".

The Machine analyzes feeds from domestic organizations to predict terrorist and enemy attacks and modify intelligence reports to include "relevant" data that will allow the government to forestall terrorist activity. Combined with data collected from various other sources, including video footage, phone calls (landline, VOIP, mobile), GPS, electronic transactions, e-mail, and social media, it is able to accurately predict violent acts.

Debug Mode

If The Machine were to crash by some virus or other (Very hard to crash a living computer) it will trigger a "hard reset", after which The Machine reboots and calls a pay phone located in the Sullust Intercontinental Transit Station, seeking admin support. At the very end of the reboot process, The Machine displays binary machine language code that translates to Latin "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" or "Who will watch the watchmen?"

The person who answers The Machine's call is given full admin access to the Machine for 24 hours, which is referred to as "God Mode". By splicing the telephone lines, however, the call can be directed to more than one pay phone at once, allowing whoever answers the second phone to be given access as well. Once the 24 hours are up, their admin access is removed and they have no further communications with the Machine.

Classification of Data

The Machine sorts through all available information and categorizes persons of interest into relevant (Galactic Security Risk) and irrelevant (Ordinary Risk) cases. When a relevant threat has been identified, the information is forwarded to the GA government, without leaving any indication as to where the information originated.

Every night at midnight, the Machine deletes the list of irrelevant numbers: violent crimes, domestic violence or other premeditated acts that do not threaten galactic security. There is a backdoor that Ingram originally put there to access the irrelevant list, and Finch utilizes this.

The Machine categorizes each POI based on their actions to determine whether they are the victim or the perpetrator.

Victim Perpetrator
Opposition Motivation
Locatability Predisposition
Mobility Acquisition
Proximity Proximity
Defensibility Capability
Assistance Resistance

Access

The current location of the Machine remains unknown. After it was handed over to the GA government, it was shipped from planet to planet, then to its final location in [REDACTED]. Finch has stated on several occasions that he has no way of accessing the Machine, and that he also doesn’t know where it is located.

Ingram, who was looking for the Machine at one time, was able to pinpoint three likely locations, each of them GA power processing facilities, that Northern Lights could potentially use to house The Machine.

According to Finch, the Machine has been coded so that it cannot be altered in any way unless an individual has physical access to its hardware or in response to a cyber-attack. It is able to update, maintain, and repair itself. The Machine was programmed to delete its memory every night at midnight, and then reinstantiate and rebuild itself. Because of this, it has no stored memory other than its basic programming and only has a database to process. To work around this problem, the Machine established the false human identity Ernest Thornhill, a technology millionaire. Using this identity, it set up a company and hired employees to reenter the coded memories it prints out each night.

The Machine contacts Finch when it perceives a threat it regards as imminent and categorizes as irrelevant. It is unclear to what extent the Machine is self-aware or how far Finch is able to control it. The Machine once took an active interest in safeguarding Finch, but he has since set limits on such conduct. Finch is adamant that the Machine has no form of remote access, as it could be used by a hacker to gain control.

Under certain circumstances, the system administrator (Finch) or a recognized asset can communicate with the Machine by talking into any security or traffic camera. The cameras flash a red light to indicate that the Machine is consequently processing the request. The Machine responds via pay phones or mobile phones.

Development

Finch initially programmed the Machine with the ability to create simulations of different scenarios to determine which choices it should make. This would allow it to better fulfill its purpose. Finch later taught it to how to play chess and the importance of making good decisions.

How it Works

Since The Machine is a highly complex system with very high computing power, the amount of calculations and simulations it can make is incomparable to a human. The Machine has been shown to create and process through highly-detailed, highly-accurate simulations in mere fractions of a second. When the Machine analyzes its options, the simulations are displayed on what looks like a decision tree, with the results of each option being very different from each other.

People Who Know About the Machine

Prior to the inception of the Machine, there were seven people aware of 'Northern Lights', and who worked on different facets of the production and logistics. This group was classified top secret. The identities of five of the original seven are known:

Control
Special Counsel
Denton Weeks
Alicia Corwin
Nathan Ingram

In actuality, there were eight people who knew about the Machine. Denton Weeks contracted with Nathan Ingram for his company to develop the technology behind the Machine and the construction of the physical system. Ingram secretly brought Finch into the process as he was not personally capable of completing the project on his own. Finch's identity and participation was known only to Ingram.

Machine Point of View (MPOV)

The Machine applies differently colored boxes in order to categorize the people it observes. Boxes can change as the Machine re-evaluates its assessment of the individuals it monitors.

White box: Individuals the Machine is currently monitoring, but who do not pose an immediate threat.

White box with red corners and crosshairs: Indicates imminent/ongoing violence by the indicated individual.
Red box: Relevant threats and individuals who pose a threat to the Machine or one of its administrators.

Yellow box: Individuals who know about the Machine.
Black box with yellow corners and crosshairs: Individuals who know about the Machine and communicate with it. The Machine designates these individuals as an "analog interface".

Blue box: Reserved for members of government teams working directly for one of the Machine's assets. These assets are unaware of the Machine's existence.

Primary Source: Person of Interest(Awesome TV Show, go watch it. Right now. Go.)
What is the difference between this and the machine from Person of Interest? Right now this reads as a crossover RP/plagiarized/copied concept from the Person of Interest TV show (the names all mentioned here are directly copied from the same TV show, a simple google search shows as much) and its wikia page.

3. Plagiarism will not be tolerated.
7. All submissions need to conform to the general idea of Star Wars. No Gundam Wings, no Transformers.
http://starwarsrp.net/page/articles.html/_/the-factory/codexfactory-rules-r19
And from our board RP rules

As it stands much of the information here is directly taken from the wikia page (linked above), which violates our rule on plagiarism, and due to the huge amount of similarity between this and the version portrayed by the television show, it is very much a crossover submission and is not very star-warsy in nature.

This along with the fact that it is artificial intelligence, which is a restricted material, and requires the following objective to be met:
A
Artificial Intelligence (Non-Droid) (( Objective: A thesis must be written, either in a blog or over the course of a role-play thread, consisting of the concepts of your Artificial Intelligence’s design. Scientific journal excerpts from your character’s time spent designing the Artificial Intelligence must be included. Minimum 1000 words total. ))
http://starwarsrp.net/topic/14386-banned-restricted-items-list/
A number of features in this submission are also extremely overpowered (such as being able to hack/slice into anything).

If changes are not made so that this submission conforms with board rules & policies, this submission will be denied.

Mr. Finch

M
Well, I am in grievous error, I am now aware. And for that I apologize. It has been such a long time since I've looked at those rules I forgot about plagiarism. I had seen people take characters from shows and movies (Like Lucifer Morningstar and Jack Sparrow, to name but two), and thought that transferred over to other things as well.

This has mostly been spurred on by the giant fanboy I am over this show, and I wanted to sort of commemorate it's final season, in which it's premier is happening this very second. So I made this character and IFT(his company) and decided to make The Machine as well, changing all the things that relate it to earth and changing it to fit Star Wars. Although, still not enough it seems.

If this is completely denied, I'm fine with that. I had fun writing this and I'm just very excited.

Oh and yeah, Lot's of copy paste from the wiki before editing things to fit Chaos. if I wrote it myself I was bound to get things wrong.

I was planning on making a dev thread(sorta flashback kinda thing) to make this a reality, but, maybe I'll let this thing die before it's born.

[member="Braith Achlys"] , Sorry for wasting any of your time.

[member="Mr. Finch"]
I suggest making your own project which takes elements from this (and the show) if you're interested in it and trying again with a new submission & idea later on. I will archive the submission as denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom