Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Machete Order

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/

Just read this article and it's quite intriguing. The gist of it is you watch them moves like so: IV, V, II, III, VI, cutting out Episode I entirely. I'm part of the Prequel Haters club (them and the Ewoks, god I hate the karking Ewoks) so this has me seriously considering re watching the movies in the listed order. Is anyone familiar with this concept? Has anyone done this?

Throw in your usual questions/comments/etc., but I would say lets avoid making this a standard prequels suck/prequels are ok debate. Because lets be serious we all know they're terrible.

Serco Savar

S
There are some very good points to the Machete Order. While I am not a prequel hater so much as it could have been done a lot better than it was episode 1 was such a bore.

Ewoks yeah the dreaded Ewoks is a conversation I have often with friends that usually results in a what the heck was Lucas thinking when he brought them into the story at all.

I've watched them in "machete order" and also introduced the movies to someone who had never seen Star Wars before (wut?) in that order. I personally prefer it to watching them chronologically.

I think watching them in this order allows the first-time viewer to remain interested. The major bonus is that you don't have to start with Episode I. That movie and the prequels in general turn a lot of people off from Star Wars right off the bat. Instead you get to start with the meat of the series, Episode IV. Watching IV and V first allows the first-time viewer to see the "real" Star Wars and get emotionally invested. The best part about machete order is that it reduces the prequels to mere filler and backstory, and although they were generally not very good movies, after Episode V the first-time viewer will at least be interested and somewhat emotionally invested in Anakin's past. Contrast that with watching them chronologically, where the first time viewer has no opportunity to build up that emotional investment.

Then, by the time you're done with the prequels, the first-time viewer will be practically salivating at the mouth to watch Episode VI to see how it all ends. At least that's how it worked out for me.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Age has taken it's toll on the genre I'm afraid. I wager the power of the 80's no longer remains at the forefront of our modern pop culture icons. Me-myself, I no longer care for the specifics. Star Wars has faded from it's stranglehold on Science Fiction Fantasy Land and is now little more than another colorful stream in the rushing river that is our poor children's Pop Media firehose addiction. Sharing a warm foothold in our weary imagination alongside Vampires & Werewolves, Transformers & Deceptacons, and diminishing alongside modern gaming and MMOs. The shear weight and availability of mindless internet media jargon has completely pulverized Star Wars from a radical and note-worthy concept, and splashed it against the canvas of life with the strength of slightly-dapper feather. Intimacy at it's finest.

I don't even bother to watch the movies anymore. Kinda sad really. I reach for a new RedBox rental instead and sustain my mired fandom on memory and lore. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom