Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Keeper [Naboo/Open]

Keter

The Renegade
It was a beautiful day. The sun was shining, a gentle breeze was blowing. Birds chirped in the distance. As it had ever been, depsite war and ruin, Naboo endured as a jewel amidst the stars.

And how he loathed it.

Naboo. Perfect frakking Naboo. A symbol of what exactly? Triumph? Paradise? What brought the factions of the galaxy continually back to this blasted little rock? It had precious little value strategically and economically. It offered nothing but a name. The chance to flaunt that Naboo was in their dominion. It was all so stupid.

He worked in silence, shut off from the world. The shovel bit into the earth over and over again as he dug down. A perfectly neat rectangle, four feet wide, seven long, and six deep. The latest addition to a long row all ready and waiting for their occupants. It didn't matter what was currently happening - there would always be a need for graves on Naboo. It never changed.

And how he loathed it.

Somewhere in this cementary, his wife lay. Lay still and rotting away. A woman full of life and knowledge, and love, too much love - nothing more than a cold piece of meat falling apart within the soil of the planet she had chosen over them. He was being irrational. He was being unfair. He didn't care. He had loved her, and she had loved him - just not more than a hunk of dirt hurtling through space. She had had two perfect daughters, two girls who never wanted anything else than for their mother to be there. To smile and praise them when they ran and danced. When they wrote silly stories about tauntauns and banthas. To fuss over their dirty clothes when they come home from exploring the nearby wastes. To watch over them as they read and drew and dreamed.

But so often she wasn't. She couldn't - Naboo needed her. Legislation needed signing. Speeches needed ot be made. Trade pacts arranged. His wife had made a promise to herself, and had sacrificed everything for this planet. And the world didn't care. It continued on as it always did. Her name adorned the wall in the palace listing all the glorious queens who had ruled. She was just a name now. A name he refused to utter. She had never meant to hurt them. But she had. And she knew it. And all she offered was conciliatory gestures. Felicity had gotten a chance to bond with her a tad, once she was too old, when they had to introduce themselves and get to know each other as if they had been strangers. And what of Celeste? What memories would she carry of her mother?

He didn't know. He didn't know if he even cared. SInce his wife's death, there had been nothing but ice. Ice and numbness. He was a poor parent - he had always been. He had never known what to say, what to do. He had tried to raise the girls as best he could, but they never wanted him. They wanted their mother. Mother was God in the eyes of the child. Felicity had gotten her wish, and been overjoyed at the chance to spend time with her queenly parent.

So much had changed. Once he had travelled. Once he had schemed. Once he had had ambition. All that had been swept away in the whirlwind that was romance. He had become passive, a spent force, reisgned to his fate. He had been happy. A few brief years of peace before his wife had to go off again. He had visited when he could, but as a born slave, he had never felt comfortable amongst the high society of Naboo. She had known that, and forgiven the rarity of his visits. Besides, with his attitude, it was surely only a matter of time before he caused an interplanetary incident.

The shovel continued to churn up dirt as he shoved it down again and again.

Naboo was not a jewel. It was a monster. One that needed slaying. Once, he would have tried to do so himself. But he was no one now.

Akio Diachi

For it was All but a Dream
Akio's traditional clansman robes hung around him loosely as he walked up the road. When he was younger he had despised them, then he came to accept them, then love them, then let them define him. Before it would have broadcast to the world that he was a remorseless killer, an artisan of death. Now, ironically, he was wearing them to mourn a death. Before all that had mattered to him was killing effiecently, surviving, the credits he earned killing, and fighting. But all that had changed in a meeting, a chance meeting that almost never happened.

Climbing over the hill, Akio rounded the small stone wall that set the cemetery apart. He felt a pang of remorse. He had killed enough to fill this yard ten times over. Various ways, various beings, all of them for credits and the sham he had called honor. Akio shook his head, there was no honor in making orphans. He didn't know how he could ever have believed that.

Moving quietly along, like had all of his life, Akio found his way to the elagant but modest tombstone. A man beside it was digging a grave, Akio gave him a slight bow and set the bouquet of flowers beside the epitaph. The Chiss knelt beside the body and bowed his head. He didn't know how to process these emotions. Regret. Remorse. Agony. Sorrow. It was too much to bear. Nothing in the clan had ever trained him for this and he doubted nothing ever would. They had told him to kill without feeling and that he had done, now he was feeling everything that had been suppressed by a lifetime of murder. Faces of the dead floated before him. Faces with no names, faces that he should have honored by knowing their names, where their bodies were, where their families were. But he didn't. And it was enough to pull him appart.

[member="Keter"]

Keter

The Renegade
He never sensed the figure approaching, but heard the footsteps. The Force had never been his greatest gift. His training had been neglected - what little of it he had had. No one had ever bothered to teach him how to use his powers, leaving him to figure things out on his own. His wife had always been the more skilled manipulator of the two of them. Yes, she had been very good at manipulation, Force and non-Force. A politician to the end. The blond paused his digging, raising an arm to wipe the sweat gathering on his brow above his clunky cybernetics. He could have easily had them replaced with actual eyes - his wife had even asked him about that once. But he would never get rid of them. They were part of him, part of who...what, he was.

With a simple grunt, he hopped up and out of the grave, landing softly on the ground, resting the shovel on one shoulder and wiping his dusty boots on the soft grass. Soon he'd be back, having to fill it over the latest corpse. He let his gaze wander over to the figure praying at the next grave over. The blue skin was immediately noticeable, but only because the man wanted it to be - the heavy robes he wore could have easily concealed all of his features if he so wished. He almost looked like a Jedi. It had been a long time since Keter had seen a Chiss. The last had been...that socialite...what had her name been...

His brow furrowed as he thought back. It had been years...she had had that annoying little astromech droid too. She had been a fine pilot, and quite the character.

She was porbably dead by now.

They all were.

He was. He planted the head of the shovel in the ground and leaned on it, glancing at the grave the man was praying in front of. He didn't know why he bothered - it's not like it would tell him anything. INstead he focused on the figure again. Ah. Elevated heart rate. Minor moisture around the tear ducts. THe man was experiencing sorrow. Well, that was obvious - he was in a graveyard. It wasn't exactly a place one came to celebrate. Except in the case of cultures that did. Keter couldn't remember which one did that though - his wife had mentioned them once in an off-hand comment at a dinner decades past.

@Akio Diachi

Akio Diachi

James didn't raise his head. He didn't even react. He felt the eyes of the grave digger on him. Part of him didn't care what this cyborg wanted. The other wanted his privacy to express his sorrow.

"I killed this one," he said softly. "I watched her die. She was a widow. And I killed her," he felt a silent tear slide down his eye. "I have killed many people. Hundreds. Thousands, even. I once gassed an entire transport to finish off one political despot." He blinked. "Their screams. I hear them some nights. One woman pressed her face against the glass, trying to live. I watched her die and felt nothing."

The Chiss looked up at the cycborg, "The Umbarians taught me to kill. To have no feeling and no mercy. They raised me this way," Akio didn't know if he was trying to convince himself or the stranger, "I-I--I didn't know better."

[member="Keter"]

Lady Emerald

Stone Cold Sweetie
Oh, this was a good day.
Her second husband was dead. Finally. And all she had to do now was wait until after the funeral for the reading of his will. Of course, she'd inherit the bulk of his estate. She had to. He had nobody else, except for his ex wife, and he sure as hell wasn't giving her anything. The birds sang beautifully in this cemetery and Emma could not help but smile behind her black veil as she walked along behind the coffin. Thank the stars she designed a funeral veil with this ensemble. She was having a difficult time pretending to mourn.

They stopped in front of an open grave and four men helped to move the coffin. Of course, the recent widow placed a flower on the coffin as it was carried passed her and put into the ground. She covered her face behind the veil, making very convincing wailing noises.

Honestly, she had no guilt in his death. She's married the old fool when he was already very sick. But she was a good wife, in her own way. She let him ramble to her about what ever it was he liked to ramble about, she would sometimes bring him tea, and of course she would always give him a kiss on the forehead every night before giving him sleeping pills. What more could he have wanted from her?

I think tomorrow night, I'm going to start looking for husband number 3.

[member="Akio Diachi"] [member="Keter"]

Keter

The Renegade
Ah. A remorseful killer. How poetic. He just leaned on the shovel and nodded slightly, prompting the man to continue. It was a confession of sort. It would do him good. Confessions were like...safety valves.The guilt built up too much, and now he was releasing some of it by sharing. Once Keter would have even patted the man on the shoulder, but that was another lifetime. A detached part of him actually recognised the pragmatic methods the Chiss spoke of. Not surgical, but causing enough pain and damage to mask the true target. It was theoretically effective, the blonde had to admit. But now the man would be seeking to repent. Force help him.

In the distance, he spied a funeral procession making their way amidst the graves, a coffin being solemnly carried by stony-faced men. Just another service. Just another death among hundreds. One less open grave. His red eyes whirred as he searched through the data he had stored. AH, someone had died of old age, peacefully. Now that was a rarity these days.

[member="Lady Emerald"] @Akio Diachi

Akio Diachi

Akio saw the movement out of the corner of his eye, he looked over and saw the funeral procession and the widow. His heart partially reached out to her, then the other was full of nothing but cold knowledge. He wondered how many of them he had caused, and how many deaths he made that never saw their proper burial. Many, he was sure, never received closure from their deaths. He was the maker of widows, orphans, and the committer of genocide. He didn't want to admit it but he had done many things that he had regret. A chilling wind whispered through the air, strands of Akio's hair played at his eyes and face, caught in the wind.

"I've done so much I regret," he murmured as his eyes followed the coffin, "I never bothered to stop and ask if it was the right thing to do. I never stopped and asked if I was helping humanity or just destroying societies one brick at a time." He paused, "I have. That is the truth of it. I have helped bring them about. I am nothing anymore, or perhaps that is all I eve was," he mused the thought over, "I think that is the truth. I am nothing. The Umbarians made me something great. They took an orphan and made him something powerful," he paused and thought for a moment, "I am an orphan who made more orphans. I never thought about it that way."

[member="Keter"]
[member="Lady Emerald"]

Lady Emerald

Stone Cold Sweetie
The bleach blonde widow dabbed under her eyes. Just for show, of course. She could cry on command if she wanted to, but she was not wearing waterproof makeup and crying made her eyes puffy. Very unbecoming. Besides, she had a party to go to tonight in...
She looked at her chrono.
Two hours.

"Do you mind if we hurry this a little?" she asked quietly to the man who had been hired to speak for the dead.

The look she was gives was one of suspicion. The blonde rolled her eyes behind the veil and continued her fake weeping.

"It's just- so sad!"

That seemed to pacify him enough to get him started on the funeral speech.

@Akio Diachi [member="Keter"]

Ah, the funeral. What a morbid procession.

James was by the widow's side, taking several glances at her convincing show of mourning and wailing and all that noise. The lawyer saw right through the act, of course. He had worked with her husband before, serving as a legal consultant to the aged businessman, and he had been around his wife long enough to know that the love for him was superficial, or, to put it in clearer words, misdirected.

But that wasn't what he was being paid for.

No, his last act as the deceased's representative was to read his will to all whom it may concern. No doubt [member="Lady Emerald"] was eager for this, as he heard her ask the minister in a polite way to hurry the hell up. No doubt she assumed that she was the sole inheritor of the businessman's substantial estate.

The hired man began to speak, addressing the procession.

At the same time, the fledgling lawyer leaned close to Emerald's ear and whispered.

"How much longer is this show going to take? I'm meeting another client in two hours."

Xerox was slightly impatient. When he became a lawyer, he expected to be doing things that mattered, damn it, not helping gold diggers get rich quick. The smartly dressed Human sighed, then looked at his watch again.

Well, he had to start somewhere.

[member="Akio Diachi "][member="Keter"]

Keter

The Renegade
Everyone had regrets. Some more than others, clearly. This man was being far too serious. He hadn't walked his full path yet, not like Keter had. With a sigh, the blond fished around his pcokets for his other flask. The one of alcohol. Pulling it out, he weighed it in his hand. There was enough. Silently, he unscrewed the cap and offered it to the Chiss. If one was going to share tragic stories, they may as well do so over a drink. It's how these things were meant to go.

Still, it seemed like the funeral nearby was going to be a swift affair, so Keter hefted his shovel and began to make his way towards the grievers. Funny for him to use his training to approach a group of civilians stealthily - unwilling to break their sombre atmosphere. At least, he thought it was sombre. He never was good at reading moods and atmospheres. His wife had been a queen of that though. THe service seemed to be progress swiftly, soon it would be time to fill in the grave again. Standing aside from the sharply dressed gathering, Keter waited, dressed in his dirtied clothes, red eyes gleaming as a cloud passed overhead, casting the graveyard in shadow.

Huh. Quaint.

[member="Akio Diachi "][member="Lady Emerald"] [member="James Xerox"]

Lady Emerald

Stone Cold Sweetie
The widow leaned in as her husbands lawyer spoke, smiling behind her veil.

"Only a moment longer, Mister Xerox," she whispered, "We must observe proper respect for my dearly departed Albert."

No sooner had she finished whispering, that the priest finished his speech as well. She straightened up as people started to leave, knowing that she was fully expected to leave last. She pulled her veil back as the gravedigger approached, lighting up a cigarette as she stared at the head stone.

"While we're here," she spoke up again to the lawyer, "perhaps you might be willing to tell me who all was mentioned in my husbands will? Just so I know what to expect."

Oh yes. She was impatient. She had plans for both his money and his house. He had no children to compete with for his affection, and very little other family. But she did have one reason to worry. Her husband had something of a wandering eye when it came to women...

[member="James Xerox"] [member="Keter"] @Akio Diachi

James adjusted his red tie, glad that the funeral was over with. He didn't like being near the dead, much less a cemetery. Something about the place that just gave him the creeps. The lawyer heard as [member="Lady Emerald"] asked her question about the will and sighed. Just as he thought, she wanted the guy's money. The old bastard deserved better than that.

"I don't know yet, ma'am. It's not to be opened until read to the departed's loved ones."

He had the firmiplast that contained the distribution of wealth and property upon death in his jacket's pocket, sealed and unopened. Xerox could safely assume that Emerald was on it, though. This thought made the lawyer sigh again silently as he looked over the gravedigger, cigarette ablaze.

He wondered if the universe had a sense of justice sometimes.

[member="Keter"] @Akio Diachi

Akio Diachi

Akio took a drink from the flask and became quiet again. He pensively looked at the substance, while he rarely ever drank alcohol, he made an exception this time. It was considered rude in most cultures to refuse a drink, especially alcoholic ones and he did not wish to offend anyone.

He wiped his tears from his eyes, it was time to stop. Emotions killed. Emotions destroyed. Emotions were what caused the weak to fall and they were little more than distractions. He was a killing machine. Not a sobbing school boy. He had to remind himself of that right now. He had to forget, to push it deep down in places he wouldn't find it--until they resurfaced again. That was what he had to do.

He handed the drink back and was quiet. He could hear the sound of the procession, each a distinct voice, each with their own conversation. He could hear each of them. They all had their hopes and dreams, and one day they would all die. They would all find their last breath eventually, they would all see the end. He would too. Akio only prayed it was honorable, at the end of a sword, when he had fought hard and slew man, falling to the hands of someone more worthy than he, rather than in a hospital bed with tubes and wires protruding from his body. There was no honor in dying laying down, metaphorically or literally.

"Who were they?" he asked the cyborg grave digger. "Did you know them?"

[member="James Xerox"]
[member="Lady Emerald"]
[member="Keter"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom